China

Chinese Super League - will it ever be an elite league?

• Yes

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 78.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would an eight year old Chinese boy in Hibei have known who Lavezzi was before he signed? £490k a week for a player who wasn't exactly a top player in Europe who isn't known worldwide doesn't seem like a good investment does it?

but viciously overspending on okay players is the only way for them to move forward.

you don't have to like it, but it makes sense. at the time, lavezzi is the best they can get. you'd rather overspend on a lavezzi to get some column inches than overspend on james holland like one of them did.

Nah it's just easy to laugh at them spunking £12m in wages on 3 assists whilst having other clubs losing to a salary capped Brisbane roar

but viciously overspending on okay players is the only way for them to move forward.

you don't have to like it, but it makes sense. at the time, lavezzi is the best they can get. you'd rather overspend on a lavezzi to get some column inches than overspend on james holland like one of them did.
Where did that get Hebei last season?

Where did that get Hebei last season?
7th. im pretty sure they only just got promoted for the last season.

some sides will recruit better, it happens. they're all overpaying for the players they bring in. im really only interested to see who i can pick off cheap in fm.

Spunk those millions in grassroots, make a J League style system, import players but in a limited fashion without insane totally overflated salaries, that's what they should be doing. Not trophy signings who will stop trying the very moment they sign on the fat contract
Their thinking is no publicity is bad publicity so despite most laughing at them they're still being talked about which is a plus. Nobody actually watches it but they get media attention for handing out fat pay cheques to Watford and Southampton strikers

Spunk those millions in grassroots, make a J League style system, import players but in a limited fashion without insane totally overflated salaries, that's what they should be doing. Not trophy signings who will stop trying the very moment they sign on the fat contract
They are investing millions in grassroots.

And just bringing in rules to restrict spending on imports.

People arent looking beyond the headlines imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are very correct about the J League. They do things the proper way in Japan. They've built from the grassroots up and now have 3 professional divisions. It's taken 25 years of hard work to get them where they are now. The Japanese haven't needed to spend obscene amounts on wages for average players either. If China were serious they'd follow the Japanese model but that takes time. President Xi wants instant results and I can only see it ending in tears personally.

Their thinking is no publicity is bad publicity so despite most laughing at them they're still being talked about which is a plus. Nobody actually watches it but they get media attention for handing out fat pay cheques to Watford and Southampton strikers
I think Sky have the UK rights to this season.

Remains to be seen what they show but I would imagine the interest will build over time.

But like with everything else people will judge if it's not a roaring success 1 year into a 20 year plan.

I think Sky have the UK rights to this season.

Remains to be seen what they show but I would imagine the interest will build over time.

But like with everything else people will judge if it's not a roaring success 1 year into a 20 year plan.
What's the Timezone difference like? Quality of football doesn't actually matter heaps if it's on at a good time. The a league gets good following with the live games on Saturday mornings. If it can tap into that market it could gain traction but not because of the names of quality but just due to the love of the game

What's the Timezone difference like? Quality of football doesn't actually matter heaps if it's on at a good time. The a league gets good following with the live games on Saturday mornings. If it can tap into that market it could gain traction but not because of the names of quality but just due to the love of the game
China is a couple of hours from Australia iirc.

You are very correct about the J League. They do things the proper way in Japan. They've built from the grassroots up and now have 3 professional divisions. It's taken 25 years of hard work to get them where they are now. The Japanese haven't needed to spend obscene amounts on wages for average players either. If China were serious they'd follow the Japanese model but that takes time. President Xi wants instant results and I can only see it ending in tears personally.
The J League has it's own struggles in terms of crowds and working out the best league structure (returning to a one phase league next season).

But in reality China will eventually be run along similar lines. Theres already the limits of imports (I think China has 1 less than Japan). China is actively encouraging younger players into squads and matchday squads, which should only improve standards.

Big difference at the moment is big wages paid to CSL imports compared to J League imports. But that will settle down as well.

At the moment if you comparing the domestic players of the A-League, MLS and Chinese Super league, the A-League/MLS Domestic Players>>>>> Chinese domestic players by a long way. Dare I say I don't think Chinese have ever been known for their physical prowess, height and athleticism in general sports teams.

Obviously, the International players of the Chinese Super League>>>>>> A-League/MLS international players by a long way.

When you even out the international and domestic players, its simply a model of chemistry and which teams have the better mix. A better team remember will always beat a team of better individuals.

Last edited:
Nah it's just easy to laugh at them spunking £12m in wages on 3 assists whilst having other clubs losing to a salary capped Brisbane roar
it seems to be an anti-china thing on your part. Whatever they have done to you get over it and move on.

Who the * cares that their wages are 3 x higher than Brisbane Roar? Good for them. People have money and they spend it how they see fit. Welcome to money.

it seems to be an anti-china thing on your part. Whatever they have done to you get over it and move on.

Who the **** cares that their wages are 3 x higher than Brisbane Roar? Good for them. People have money and they spend it how they see fit. Welcome to money.
3x the amount Brisbane spend? That's probably just one players wage that is 3x the amount.

I'm critical of what they're doing because it's so flawed. Signing guys like Pelle, Ighalo, Paulinho, Ramires etc. guys who are decent but not great onto big wages isn't the smartest way to improve a national league. Then signing guys like Tevez at his age and Lavezzi on the biggest wages in the world is also not going to work with getting people to watch the league any more than they would if it was just proper imports on proper wages.

All this crazy money does is get them attention but for the wrong reasons because it's laughed at. Now maybe that's what they're after as no press is bad press for a start up league. If that's the case and these stupid contracts die off over the years and the standard actually improves once they do go then it can be looked at as an ok move. But right now it seems like they think they're signing superstars when actually they're signing low-mid tier players or washed up money hungry older players on gigantic wages

Well it's got you talking quite a lot about a league "you don't care about".

Maybe there's method in the madness.
I don't care to watch it because it's s**t standard. I don't mind talking about it and its failings. Should have been clearer.

Don't care how Hebei go with Lavezzi. Or how many goals pelle and Ighalo manage to get.

Back