Asia China's growing influence

Remove this Banner Ad

I was listening to a commentator on the ground in Hong Kong. Theres a class/social dimension to this that is understated by the western media in its coverage. The protests a domestic in many ways. There is a Chinese upper-class takeover occurring in Hong Kong (sound familiar), the Hong Kong middle and lower class are rejecting them. You wont hear any western media talking about this angle of the conflict though, it doesnt fit with the capitalist democracy liberalism verses communist dictatorship narrative to well.

What happened to Viney is Lord?
He had some interesting insight into China and HK in the protests thread.

Ah Gough, always playing the man. At least you're consistent.
How would you feel if we significantly lifted aid to Africa to counteract the influence of the Chinese? Google tells me we gift $119 million to sub Saharan Africa, let's make it 5 times that, are you okay with this?

How would you feel if we significantly lifted aid to Africa to counteract the influence of the Chinese? Google tells me we gift $119 million to sub Saharan Africa, let's make it 5 times that, are you okay with this?

That's quite a deflection you've got going there, but doesn't address my post.

What are your thoughts on the cruel, abusive way that African children are being forced to learn Chinese in that video?

That's quite a deflection you've got going there, but doesn't address my post.

What are your thoughts on the cruel, abusive way that African children are being forced to learn Chinese in that video?
Terrible but my question remains, would you be prepared to see Australia (and other countries) do considerably more in that sphere to counteract Chinese influence? It's all very well to be shocked by the footage but realise that that sort of s**t doesn't happen in isolation.

Terrible but my question remains, would you be prepared to see Australia (and other countries) do considerably more in that sphere to counteract Chinese influence? It's all very well to be shocked by the footage but realise that that sort of s**t doesn't happen in isolation.

My position is that Australia is a regional power that should limit it's sphere of influence to our own backyard (the Asia Pacific region) and should involve itself in matters of international human rights abuse via diplomacy, not colonization. China having a sphere of influence that extends to Africa doesn't mean that they shouldn't be held to account by the International community if that sphere of influence extends to human rights violations.

I'm unsure what your argument is here, other than suggesting that unless the Western powers colonize Africa (again) then Communist China should have free reign to commit human rights abuses there.

My position is that Australia is a regional power that should limit it's sphere of influence to our own backyard (the Asia Pacific region) and should involve itself in matters of international human rights abuse via diplomacy, not colonization. China having a sphere of influence that extends to Africa doesn't mean that they shouldn't be held to account by the International community if that sphere of influence extends to human rights violations.

I'm unsure what your argument is here, other than suggesting that unless the Western powers colonize Africa (again) then Communist China should have free reign to commit human rights abuses there.

Sooo as usual the right dullards get their feelings hurt that some povo people are bending the knee to some Chinamen yet aren't willing to address the povoness of the people in order to get them to bend the knee to our team. Container ships can sail all over the world.

China's massive influence is creeping towards our backyard too, western oligarchs care more about their cheap Chinese suppliers than they care about you or any Africans you can guarantee that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

China now conducting a joint navy exercise with Russia and Iran.
The enemy of my enemy etc etc.

Basically warning Trump, "don't be a dickhead"
Or, conversely, a pitch to Iran for an arms deal. I'd imagine they've sniffed an export opportunity as well.

Iran get access to Chinese technology despite the embargo (and they are smuggling weapons into NK, no doubt at all).
Chinese manufacturers get to test their tracking software in a live zone (even just tracking drones will give them information).

Unsurprising.

Beijing's "crushing" oppression at home and its moves to spread its censorship to the rest of the world are threatening decades of progress made on global human rights, according to a new Human Rights Watch (HRW) report.

HRW's global chief launched the report in New York after being barred from Hong Kong
  • The report calls on governments to collectively counter Beijing and defend human rights
  • The report also reviews human rights practices in nearly 100 countries, including in Australia

HRW executive director Kenneth Roth was due to launch the World Report 2020 at the Foreign Correspondents' Club in Hong Kong today, but was denied entry at Hong Kong International Airport on Monday for "immigration reasons".

Mr Roth, who has entered the semi-autonomous city freely in the past, said on Twitter the episode was "just the latest evidence that the Chinese Government is doing everything it can to undermine the enforcement of international human rights standards".

With Trump talking up repercussions for China, Germany talking about repatriations of hundreds of billions of Euros, etc - where to here for China?

Their desperation to save face in the wake of the Coronavirus has been a huge error and they may find themselves economically backed into a corner. Australia may well find itself receiving a hit as some trade sanctions placed on China are reciprocated towards US strategic allies.

US have shifted their heavy bombers out of Guam. This happened just before WW2 as well.

Is this due to:
a) the issue in North Korea and the US not wanted to be seen as a threat during vulnerable times
b) as per above but not wanting a crazy "last stand" by Kim Jong before he goes out
c) related to China with something we can't see yet
d) related to the naval exercises in the South China Sea and proving to the Chinese that we are not an immediate threat

US have shifted their heavy bombers out of Guam. This happened just before WW2 as well.

Is this due to:
a) the issue in North Korea and the US not wanted to be seen as a threat during vulnerable times
b) as per above but not wanting a crazy "last stand" by Kim Jong before he goes out
d) related to the naval exercises in the South China Sea and proving to the Chinese that we are not an immediate threat

this is a long term thing, just Guam is the latest change:

“U.S. strategic bombers will continue to operate in the Indo-Pacific, to include Guam, at the timing and tempo of our choosing,” said Air Force Global Strike Command in a statement. “We will maximize all opportunities to train alongside our allies and partners, to build interoperability, and bolster our collective ability to be operationally unpredictable.”

The transition to a “dynamic force employment” model allows the bombers to operate from a “broader array of overseas locations” with greater resilience, while keeping the aircraft permanently based in the U.S., AFGSC said.

The last deployment ended April 16, just three days after the elephant walk, as B-52s returned to Minot Air Force Base, N.D. The long-expected change comes as service leaders, including Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein and Air Force Global Strike Command boss Gen. Timothy Ray, have said dynamic deployments of task force-size groups of bombers will be more effective in the future.

“Yes, we are absolutely adjusting our presence in theater when it comes to bombers,” Goldfein said April 1.

In March 2019, B-1Bs returned to Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, after a deployment to Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar. While a “task force” of B-52s deployed to the region shortly after, that mission was a short rotation in response to Iranian threats, not a regular deployment.

The “dynamic force employment” concept allows for the Air Force and broader military to be “strategically predictable, and operationally unpredictable” in sending the high-value assets to the Pacific, Goldfein said. The Air Force regularly sends similar “bomber task force” rotations to Europe.

With Trump talking up repercussions for China, Germany talking about repatriations of hundreds of billions of Euros, etc - where to here for China?

Their desperation to save face in the wake of the Coronavirus has been a huge error and they may find themselves economically backed into a corner. Australia may well find itself receiving a hit as some trade sanctions placed on China are reciprocated towards US strategic allies.
See..... this is where it gets interesting. I assume China is Australias number one money maker, meaning Australias number one trade partner ecnomically would be china.

I know in your coles and woolies you buy meat/beef and thats the sloppt seconds. the good stuff goes to japan at $100 a kilo.

I know Australia sells wheat to the middle eastern countries in return we buy oil out of them too.

Is this due to:
Now that would be interesting with Kim jong wants to go out in a blaze of glory.

I would doubt china would see the aussies as a threat in a military way. theres over 1 billion people in china and only around 25 million Australians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back