Society/Culture China's Real Life Animal Hunger Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Not sure what to make of this. Is China showing us the future of entertainment in the West or is this a mimic of our past.
Chinese tourists seem to enjoy watching predators tear apart their prey from the comfort of their buses. We don't blink when we see the same thing on our TV's when this is filmed in nature programs.
We also enjoyed this kind of entertainment when it was inflicted on human beings not so long ago.
Should we be judgemental or should we just accept that we as human beings enjoy watching other creatures suffer for our entertainment?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world...er-park-in-china/story-e6frfqb9-1227485022514

Not sure what to make of this. Is China showing us the future of entertainment in the West or is this a mimic of our past.
Chinese tourists seem to enjoy watching predators tear apart their prey from the comfort of their buses. We don't blink when we see the same thing on our TV's when this is filmed in nature programs.
We also enjoyed this kind of entertainment when it was inflicted on human beings not so long ago.
Should we be judgemental or should we just accept that we as human beings enjoy watching other creatures suffer for our entertainment?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world...er-park-in-china/story-e6frfqb9-1227485022514

Yes we should be. When it comes to how they treat animals, they are way behind most in the modern world. Even my Chinese wife would agree.

* yes we should be judgemental. This is called animal baiting, how is this any different from stuff like bear baiting and dog fighting? I don't accept making an animal suffer for entertainment and I never will. The difference between this and nature programs is that in the latter, you are actually seeing nature in its true element - nature how it is. Here's it's all a stage, massive human interference in a completely unnatural environment where live feeding is only done because of sadism.

And before people say "but it's what they eat anyway", take a thought of all the other zoos in the world who feed their big animals hunks of dead meat. They do that for a couple of very good reasons: 1) To eliminate the possibility of the prey injuring the predator and 2) for welfare reasons. What is the sense of putting the prey animal through unnecessary agony, and putting the predator at risk? It's in a controlled environment, unlike in the wild. What's worse, they sometimes tie the animals with rope and lower them in, swinging them around, taunting them, etc. It's disgusting.

That said I don't think this kind of activity is really widespread in China's zoos, I read somewhere that in a lot of provinces this kind of thing is prohibited. Could be wrong on that. Regardless, China is very backwater when it comes to treatment of animals which is not surprising when you see the kinds of things in their markets.

I am happy to pass judgement on the campaigners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back