Toast Chinese "Bridge of Magpies" Satellite

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Afternoon, sports fans!

It is with great joy that I present to you a new potential Collingwood co-mascot: Chinese relay satellite "Queqiao", meaning "bridge of magpies".

(the relevance here is tenuous at best, but bear with me, it's the off season)

Many of you would be aware that China have landed a rover on the "dark side of the moon". It is impossible to communicate directly with the rover from earth, given that the mass of the moon is in the way. Hence, a relay satellite is required:

images (30).jpeg

The satellite is named Queqiao, a reference to the "bridge of magpies" from the Chinese legend "The Cowherd and the Weaver Girl". This is the epic tale of 2 lovers who are banished to opposite sides of the Milky Way. They are reunited one day per year, on Chinese Valentine's Day, by a bridge of magpies that reconnects them from across the galaxy.

There is some glorious artwork out there based on the legend:

images (31).jpeg

images (33).jpeg

images (34).jpeg

I propose, nay, I insist that this satellite will henceforth be a subject of worship by pies fans. The Magpie Bridge, a gateway to our heart's true desire: the 2020 premiership.

Drink it in, friends:

images (36).jpeg

I have a fondness for things which reside on the dark side of the moon, kind of like this thread with its single reply, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello.

Hello.

In my opinion, magpies would never be so compliant as to (a) band together in such a multitude, or (b) form themselves into a bridge for the benefit of the banished, but I've been wrong about a few things lately and I concede that I could also be wrong about this.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I have a fondness for things which reside on the dark side of the moon, kind of like this thread with its single reply, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello.

Hello.

In my opinion, magpies would never be so compliant as to (a) band together in such a multitude, or (b) form themselves into a bridge for the benefit of the banished, but I've been wrong about a few things lately and I concede that I could also be wrong about this.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Yeah no - I have the distinct feeling that Magpies won't conform to the wishes of the PRC (especially given their refusal to stop ripping holes in my recently laid turf despite several discussions on the matter), so I suspect you will have to take your insistence and shove it where the magpies don't sing.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
In further news, pink floyd will be reforming to tour australia next year with the addition of two chinese communist party officials on keyboards and percussion.... the band will be coming down to the holden centre - .soon to be renamed the great wall centre - for a jumper presentation. Rumours are circling that the Pies are considering the rookieing of two chinese table tennis players

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
kind of like this thread with its single reply, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello.
Despite its literary brilliance, my thread did indeed get off to a slow start. It's like feeding caviar to swine around here sometimes. Thanks for popping in!
I suspect you will have to take your insistence and shove it where the magpies don't sing.
You have just been docked 20 social credit points for failure to comply with our PRC overlords. I politely but firmly request that you immediately change your avatar to an image of our beloved Queqiao.

I have no idea what the OP is about but am loving the Pink Floyd
One of the best
Ok boomer!

Fratbrat

Senior List
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
This reminds me of the story of how Kung Fu got it's name. Many moons ago a great warrior was captured and put to work on building the great wall of China. Because of his exceptional strength and skill he could chop a stone into a brick with one mighty blow of his hand. One day while he was taking a break a worker from above tipped a brick over the edge and it hit our hero square on the head. Infuriated he looked up and screamed "which kung fu dat".

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
This reminds me of the story of how Kung Fu got it's name. Many moons ago a great warrior was captured and put to work on building the great wall of China. Because of his exceptional strength and skill he could chop a stone into a brick with one mighty blow of his hand. One day while he was taking a break a worker from above tipped a brick over the edge and it hit our hero square on the head. Infuriated he looked up and screamed "which kung fu dat".
images (37).jpeg

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Gee that story took me back to my childhood....

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apart from a proper family structure, a safe society, a clean environment and an education that will prepare them for a jobless, cashless society.
They are lacking the sense of community and moral framework that used to be provided by religion... hence I am offering an alternative: the worship of Queqiao. Get behind it old m8, together we can fix society.

images (47).jpeg

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Apart from a proper family structure, a safe society, a clean environment and an education that will prepare them for a jobless, cashless society.

yes, the future does sound depressing, but at least there wont be any bad jokes about chinese people.... so that's one positive...

Back