Competitions Ching/Pups/CSA results thread. Now with added suspense (and pictures)!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Distinguished guests. Ladies and gentlemen. Boys and girls. Welcome to the offical Ching/Pups/CSA thread for the 2020 season (such as it was). And what a roller coaster ride it was here on Big Footy. The highest of highs (i.e Bevo is a legend- needs a lifetime contract), to the pits of despair and the lowest of lows (i.e Sack Bevo), it’s been a year like no other (not including all the thoughts on Bevo’s coaching - never change Big Footy). And so, we come to the business end of the Big Footy year - the finale of the awards and the insane traffic increase on the list and trade management thread.

But before we go into the awards, many people must be acknowledged. Firstly to dogwatch for being the spreadsheet guru we know and love- thank you for all your work on this award (and your work in general on this board with the Pieman etc). This event would not be possible without you, that’s for sure. To Cookie for the creation of tonight’s first award- the Clay Smith award (or CSA). An excellent addition to the Ching since Rd 2 this year and will continue for a long time I’m sure - thank you. To all those who voted during the season- thank you for your contributions and opinions on the game & team we love. And finally, to all those posters who monitored the threadS and were quick to assist us and point out at various times during the year to posters, that English was NOT an eligible pup, that Roarke Smith was also not a pup, and that you cannot vote for the same player multiple times during the same week. I/we appreciate those that corrected mistakes before I went to count the votes each week. So again, thank you all for your efforts this year. We rock!

And so- to the first ever “Clay Smith” award. Started in Rd 2, this award was created to recognise the efforts of players in individual games. Posters could vote each week for the player whose performance exemplified the traits of Clay Smith- especially during that 2016 prelim. The highest polling player each week was awarded the weekly award and the most weekly awards over the season is to be crowned ultimate winner.
And, with 4 weekly wins and over twice the number of nominations of his nearest rivals, the 2020 “Clay Smith” award goes to...

Last edited:
46424C50-56F4-498C-BD02-2AE620728133.jpeg

And so, now we move onto the Pups award for 2020. And this award was keenly contested this year with a number of promising young players in our team. Can Bazalenka make it 2 in a row? Will Naughton triumph despite injury? Will that pesky Vandermeer win something else that no one saw coming (like he did in the Pieman PoTY award)?

And so- to the results.
In 3rd place, we have... Laitham Vandermeer on 17 votes! Congrats Laitham.

In 2nd place, we have... Patrick Lipinski on 19 votes (coming up into 2nd once Laitham was out with the hammy]. Congrats Patrick.

And our 2020 Pup winner. In a runaway win, like his mullet in the breeze, the winner is...

Last edited:
BAZALENKA! With a remarkable tally of 44 votes, he polled in the top three of every game (bar Rd 5 vs Norf when concussed). A fantastic effort to go back to back and he could go the threepeat in 2021 which hasn’t happened since the heady days of Marcus Bontempelli in 2015/2016/2017. Congrats Bazza!

And now to the one you have all been waiting for. The Ching. The most prestigious award to come via a Western Bulldogs online forum (suck it Facebook supporter groups - we don’t like you either). And for this, we take a leaf out of the CSM ceremonies. The top 10 (which is actually 11) in reserve order were as follows:

In equal 9th place, with 13 votes apiece, we have a tie between...TIM ENGLISH, ALEX KEATH & LACHIE HUNTER. Congrats fellas.

In 8th place, on 14 votes, we have the ever reliable... HAYDEN CROZIER. Nicely done Croz.

In 7th place, on 15 votes, we have our leading goal kicker for 2020... MITCH WALLIS. Great work Mitch.

In 6th place, with a total of 15.5 votes, we have the years most improved player... BAILEY WILLIAMS. Fantastic effort.

In 5th place, on 28 votes, just to show we are completely different in our thinking to the coaches, we have the Charlie recipient himself... CALEB “SHETLAND” DANIEL. Oh well Caleb, can’t win everything.

In 4th place, a mere .5 ahead of Caleb, with 28.5 votes, we have our pups king... BAILEY SMITH. Top performance for a 2nd year player.

And so, we come to our podium. And it’s a 1st place getter and equal 2nds this year. In equal second place, we have him. You know it’s him...

Last edited:
JACKSON MACRAE. Well done young fella, well done.

And so to our victor. He hit the lead in Rd 17 and from there, he wasn’t headed. And what a great year he had. Missing the first 2 rounds, we REALLY missed him and his wonderful body art, and opposition antagonism. A previous Ching winner in 2013 & 2014, it’s gives me great pleasure to announce this years Ching champion, with 36 votes is...

TOM LIBERATORE!!! What a year, what a man, what a collection of tattoos he has! A well deserving champion, I’m sure he will treasure this award for many years to come. And so, please charge your glasses to this years Ching King- Tom Liberatore!!!!!!

Thank you all again. Finals tables for all awards to be posted below. And with that, I bid you farewell from the Ching for another year. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Didn't think libba had it in him to be a regular in the team let alone win the fans b&f, 6 years after his last one. I've never been so happy to be wrong. Hopefully many years left in him. Congrats libba hopefully you get to hit a century on the mcg atleast once more.

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Reckon that's a pretty accurate reflection of the team. Interesting to compare against the bnf

Back