chiropractors

Remove this Banner Ad

There is currently a small independent one being done in Adelaide where a US Chiro is doing both the fake (control) and then the "tried and tested real chiro manipulations" on patients who have previously not used a Chiro and patients who have. It is observed to try to eliminate as much bias as possible, but he is in it for the scientific method and makes them as close as possible.

From my perspective: If he was trying to skew the results he would make the fake manipulations as obvious as possible. As far as I'm aware this is not the case and his results have been a little demoralising.

In what way?

I have recurring back problems and would never let a chiropractor touch me. I know numerous people who have had their body damaged by the charlatans.

Ever seen a 6' 5" bloke walk into a chiropractor's his body tilted so far to the left that his left hand is almost dragging on the ground and walk out straight?

In what way?
He is obviously hoping that the study will show Chiropractic adjustments are better than the placebo, however as of 3(?) months ago when I talked to him I think all it did was support the null hypothesis (no difference).

Thought that might form part of your response. I don't have a problem with you choosing not to use chiropractors for your treatment. I just don't understand how you can insist that there are no benefits from treatment you haven't experienced when plenty of other people find it to be very helpful.

The scientific method is how we can say that chiropractic doesn't work even though we haven't used one.

In fact n=1 personal experience is a terrible method of coming to conclusions. You had a bad back, you went to a chiropractor, it felt better. How do you know the chiropracter was the determinant? Do you even think about these types of things?

There are plenty of times where i've thought something did something, but I was mistaken. We have the scientific method because we understand the inherent cognitive biases of the human mind.

The scientific method is how we can say that chiropractic doesn't work even though we haven't used one.

In fact n=1 personal experience is a terrible method of coming to conclusions. You had a bad back, you went to a chiropractor, it felt better. How do you know the chiropracter was the determinant? Do you even think about these types of things?

There are plenty of times where i've thought something did something, but I was mistaken. We have the scientific method because we understand the inherent cognitive biases of the human mind.

So you're often mistaken. Understood.

call this guy
hqdefault.jpg

Chiropracters aren't homoepaths- Chiropracters are just physiologist with a bit more in depths knowledge- aka they now where to put a bone in place again- thats why they are also known as bone breakers. At least here they are.

No they aren't. They are crooks. Deceiving and thieving, and dangerous crooks.

You want to know why we get bad backs? Because we evolved from animals that walked on four legs and we haven't had time to adjust. Not to mention that sitting down all day (which most of us do) is exactly the wrong thing to be doing.

Plenty of Doctors and Surgeons have ruined people's lives too. Doesn't mean people shouldn't go to them. I'm not going to go to a Chiro if I catch a cold, but if I have a bad back, that's one place I've been and it has felt better. Not sure how much simpler I need to explain that for you in order for you to understand, so I'll just give up now.

You enjoy your quackery chiropractor, and we'll enjoy modern medicine. One works and one is bullshit.

They ruin them when they make mistakes, and they train for many years to ensure that they don't. Chiropractors ruin people's lives just by following their own instruction manual.

It saddens me that there are people in this world foolish enough to get suckered in by them, but such is life. People pay for crystal therapy and homeopathy as well, but at least that's not dangerous.

Yep. James Randi calls them sheep - not only are they willing to be deceived and stolen from, but they cannot wait for it to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back