Choosing the right cookware - PTFE and PFOA non-stick coatings?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recently I've become aware that using Teflon non stick pans might not be a good idea.

I don't want to be absorbing any dangerous chemicals I don't have to but on the other hand those super slippery surfaces would make cooking and clean up very easy.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/10/how-they-get-teflon-to-stick-to-pans/

Apparently eating the teflon is ok just not inhaling the fumes if your pan gets too hot.

I notice there are new surfaces coming onto the market claiming to be a chemical free alternative. They just don't feel as slippery as the stone/marble surface stuff.

Any thoughts? What sort of cookware do people here use and what have they had experience with?

A few months ago I bought some cast iron cookware after becoming aware of the problems of teflon at high temps.

One of the best kitchen purchases I've ever made, everything just seems to taste better. The caramelisation you get on a good steak from a cast iron skillet leaves other pans for dead, and I finally understand what they mean by 'wok hei' now I can cook stirfrys in a smoking hot cast iron wok.

They're one of the few things you can buy in life that actually get better the more you use them too, which I find weirdly satisfying.

I tend to use cast iron stuff but that's more because of the even-heating of the cooking surface.

I haven't really contemplated cooking surfaces with the exception of avoiding BPA-producing plastics (even made the GF ditch the water-bottle she had on her bike for a higher quality BPA free one).

Cleaning cast iron is ridiculously easy too.

No detergent required, just scrub it with a brush for a few seconds under running hot water, dry it off, then put it back on the stove for a minute to ensure no water remains.

Or if what you were cooking didn't leave a mark, just wipe out the excess oil with a paper towel and. . . done.

/infomercial

• Banned
I haven't cooked a steak inside for about 4 years, that's what the bbq is for :p

Watch out of those heterocyclic amines bro. It's a known carcinogen.

I'm not saying don't eat meat, I'm just saying a little bit of charcoal here and there might not be good for you.

Anyway I'm looking at these new ceramic style non stick pans. They claim to be able to withstand higher temperatures than the Teflon stuff.

The risks associated with Teflon are just too great. It seems that this has all been one big cover up. It's simply amazing that we are subject to so many harmful chemicals in our day to day lives. First BPA, now this. I'm glad the whistle has been blown, that's for sure.

Watch out of those heterocyclic amines bro. It's a known carcinogen.

I'm not saying don't eat meat, I'm just saying a little bit of charcoal here and there might not be good for you.
Hmm I'll take my chances, gotta enjoy some stuff whilst you on this planet. Although I use the bbq a lot I actually don't eat that much meat, a steak I'd put on would be about half the size that a lot people would eat, the rest usually salad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If i make a comment about Esselstyn or anyone associated with Forks over Knives i will be accused of trolling, so i will refrain.

Go for it.

You probably think Dr Atkins was a picture of health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back