Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team, Roy, Punter.
Article sourced from www.foxsports.com.au

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns quits the big time

From Gyles Beckford in Wellington
January 23, 2006

NEW Zealand star Chris Cairns will retire from international cricket next month, the 35-year-old announced today.

All over ... Cairns has had enough. Pic: Reuters

Cairns, who has been playing only limited-overs internationals since quitting Test cricket in 2004, said he was still enjoying the game but wanted to concentrate on his family and business.

"I still enjoy playing for the Black Caps and want to leave at a time when that enjoyment has not diminished and when I feel that I am still performing at the top level and contributing to the success of the team," Cairns said in a statement.

"It is also important to retire at a time which allows New Zealand Cricket to develop other options well ahead of the World Cup."

He retired from Test cricket to concentrate on the short form of the game as the demands of playing both took a toll on his body.

He said he wanted to play in the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean.

Cairns was axed for the tour to South Africa late last year, but was then recalled for the series against Australia after he regained form and fitness.

In the past couple of years he has nursed fragile knees and an ankle that has little ligament support.

Cairns's last international match will be a Twenty20 match against the touring West Indies in mid-February.

He is due to play domestic cricket in England this year.
The son of big-hitting former international Lance Cairns, Chris was one of New Zealand's greatest all rounders, who brought passion, flair and commitment to the game, NZ Cricket chief executive Martin Snedden said.

Cairns played 214 limited-overs internationals dating back to 1991, scoring 4881 runs, including four centuries, at an average of 29.46 and taking 200 wickets at 32.80.

In 62 Tests he scored 3320 runs at 33.53 and taken 218 wickets at 29.40.

Reuters

0,5001,5100318,00.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome player in both forms of the game, my one memory of Chris Cairns is his 100 against South Africa at the Gabba in the VB series of 2001/02 to chase 270 odd down (i think that was the score).

Awesome innings, i would say this would be one of Australia's favourite overseas player.

Well done Cairnsy. Great player who IMO had the talent to be one of the great Test All Rounders. Will be remembered for his big hitting but he was quality with the bowl. Great player and a great bloke.

• Banned
Still remember that decision by the umpire in i think it was the first over of the Gabba test againts New Zealand at the Gabba in 2001 with cairnsy bowling to langer and possibly one of the plumbest LBW's ever being turned down.

Cairnsy couldn't believe it.

Legend of the game.

otis_david said:
Well done Cairnsy. Great player who IMO had the talent to be one of the great Test All Rounders. Will be remembered for his big hitting but he was quality with the ball. Great player and a great bloke.

I agree, Otis.

Unfortunately, injuries ruined the later part of his career.

Showbag said:
Great player, leaves a pretty big hole in NZ cricket. Isn't his business interest in a company that makes some type of fudge? Anyone tried it?

I think they just pack fudge.......

Was a great player, but faded away a bit late in his career. One of New Zealands greatest all rounder, behind Hadlee of course. Sad to see him go, was always a crowd favourite.

He was an awesome player one of my favourites. I will mainly remember him for his big hitting but he was no slouch with the ball either. He will be a big loss for the NZ team. They won't find anyone like him for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F/D said:
3rd best all rounder I've seen.

care to name the other 2 :D

well done cairnsy on a great career and i'm glad he played for us once (icc world xi v. asia xi tsunami match) :)

Showbag said:
Great player, leaves a pretty big hole in NZ cricket. Isn't his business interest in a company that makes some type of fudge? Anyone tried it?
wbcairnsjacket_narrowweb__200x308.jpg

Yeah I think he makes Cairn fudge (but doesn't pack it) with his dad ;)

A shame to see him retire, good player, one of cricket's great personalities.

Very sad to see him go
Great man and simply quite possibly the coolest player ive ever seen
One thing that stands alone coolest beard in the game last summer and that includes Amla
Cya cairnsy and good luck

LIONS then DAYLIGHT said:
Still remember that decision by the umpire in i think it was the first over of the Gabba test againts New Zealand at the Gabba in 2001 with cairnsy bowling to langer and possibly one of the plumbest LBW's ever being turned down.

Cairnsy couldn't believe it.

Legend of the game.

Turned Langer's career around.

unfortunately he didn't set the world on fire last night in his farewell match.

0/24 off 4 and 2 (9).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back