Delisted Chris Dawes

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dawes doesn't have the killer instinct. He seems like a nice and articulate bloke, he may train well or lead well but he has never been inspirational on the field. Guys like Jones, Viney, Gawn and especially crossy last year, they stand up and can dominate a game, which really inspires other players.

Dawes has been a great clubman and has most likely played a lot of games in pain in the years we have had no forwards. He puts on good pressure and gets the ball to ground but it never seems to be to our advantage. If he marked most of the kicks that he leads to and kicked a bit more accurately he would be a great player, it just seems that he doesn't have the confidence to be the hero and take the mark and go back and slot the goals.

I actually think he has decent leading patterns but our players don't want to kick it to him because they know he won't mark it, similar to how Watts was treated before he started working on his contested marking.

We could keep him for a another year as backup or to remind Jesse and our younger players to tackle and lead, but I would happily delist him and throw Dunn in the forward line if we were absolutely desperate due to injuries next year. I want players in the forward who are absolutely hungry for goals.

He is just so slow now, doesnt suit our style of play at all. We want to move the ball quickly and he doesnt do anything remotely fast. He turns slow, he runs in a straight line slow, his hands are slow, he make decisions slow.

A go back and kick up the line Mick Malthouse player he might be, but a 2017 Melbourne player he aint.

sylvieMFC

Debutant
Aug 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't possibly stay ahead of Pedo if it came down to those two!
Keep the bloke who trains well, leads off the track but plays like sh*t when picked and dump the bloke who grabs his opportunity with both hands every time he gets a gig?
No thanks

I'm a huge supporter of Pederson. We definitely need to keep him - he's strong overhead, a great pack mark and can help out in the ruck.

I hope we give Dawes a job next year, but only in the Administration Department. Lovely bloke but he's finished.

If we weren't playing a fast zone defence i'd suggest sending him to play Back. Would see him playing similar to Dunn and being good one on one, but with our style of play modern forwards would run rings around him. One of the few last relics of Neeld i reckon and while i like the bloke for the bloke he is, i won't be shocked to see him go.

Is he really drawing some interest from oppo clubs?
of the top of my head he would almost walk straight into Carlton, Brisbane, Freo & Essendon

of the top of my head he would almost walk straight into Carlton, Brisbane, Freo & Essendon
Really?
Just because he's listed as a KPF does not mean he is one.
If Brissy are trying to turn things around, Chris Dawes is not the answer!

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Chrish ish finishhed. Minter Ellishon beckonsh.
Won't get anywhere near Minter Ellison or any major law firm with a Vic Uni degree (unless he has some serious contacts, preferably relations) in the legal fraternity. Send him to Freo. I just know Ross will love him.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Won't get anywhere near Minter Ellison or any major law firm with a Vic Uni degree (unless he has some serious contacts, preferably relations) in the legal fraternity. Send him to Freo. I just know Ross will love him.

Yes, his VU law degree will get him uppaid vol work at best. That said, maybe a few of the board members can get him an internship somewhere?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Yes, his VU law degree will get him uppaid vol work at best. That said, maybe a few of the board members can get him an internship somewhere?
I thought of that as soon as I posted. I'm an idiot. There is truly no better way to form powerful contacts in Melbourne then to play for an AFL club. Even with concrete mitts. Plus his departure from Collingwood was amicable so he's got that lot on side too. He'll end up making partner of some firm within 5 years.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought of that as soon as I posted. I'm an idiot. There is truly no better way to form powerful contacts in Melbourne then to play for an AFL club. Even with concrete mitts. Plus his departure from Collingwood was amicable so he's got that lot on side too. He'll end up making partner of some firm within 5 years.

A mate of mine's sister was with Ange Cristou when he was at Carlton and a little after. He reckon the club told him they'd look after him, but once he was delisted didn't hear peep and they dropped him like a hot scone.

But yeah, if Melbourne can't leverage business opportunities with our coterie groups, then we're bloody useless.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
A mate of mine's sister was with Ange Cristou when he was at Carlton and a little after. He reckon the club told him they'd look after him, but once he was delisted didn't hear peep and they dropped him like a hot scone.

But yeah, if Melbourne can't leverage business opportunities with our coterie groups, then we're bloody useless.
Damn, it's getting so hard to believe in nepotism anymore. I'm so disillusioned.

He's supposedly happy to stay on a greatly reduced contract. His calves seem to keep flaring up which is a problem, and yeah he's not as good as Pederson, but I'd rather keep him for another year than delist him.

That said, if an offer of a 3rd round or better comes along then I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

Back