Chris Fagan Extends Until 2023

Great (albeit unsurprising) news:

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.11.08 pm.png

Chris Fagan and friends re-sign

The Brisbane Lions are excited to announce senior coach Chris Fagan has agreed to a new deal with the Club.

The two-year contract extension ties Fagan to the Club until the end of 2023.

“I’m thrilled and grateful to be given the opportunity to continue to serve our Club,’’ he said.

“I love the fact that at the Brisbane Lions we are all in this together, everyone at the Club shares the same drive to constantly improve.

“I feel that shared attitude and passion has made the Club a great place to be, a place where players and staff grow both professionally and as people.

“It is why I know the preliminary final loss last year, while disappointing, is also viewed as a growth opportunity.

“That is what we have been doing since the day I arrived here, seeing each experience as something to learn from.

“And I’m excited to have committed to the Club for a few more years to see where that desire to improve can take us.”

By the end of this contract, Fages will have coached us for 7 years. That will make him our second-longest serving head coach since the merger.

Leigh Matthews - 10 years
Vossy - 5 years
Fages (as of this year) - 5 years
Leppitsch - 3 years
John Northey - 2 years

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting fact: My betta fighting fish is named Fagan. He's a little homicidal maniac with a killer instinct. Not that we want our coach to be homicidal but killer instinct is good.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This bloke has never won a prelim nor a premiership. Bloke has depended on his staff to rake in a couple of defunct NEAFL and AFLX premierships. He hasn't even tried to root a staff member in lockdown, cheat on his missus, be racist to his players or tell them to rack off to a different club. How will we ever match the big vic clubs like the Tiges or Pies with a coach like Fagan?

This bloke has never won a prelim nor a premiership. Bloke has depended on his staff to rake in a couple of defunct NEAFL and AFLX premierships. He hasn't even tried to root a staff member in lockdown, cheat on his missus, be racist to his players or tell them to rack off to a different club. How will we ever match the big vic clubs like the Tiges or Pies with a coach like Fagan?

I know you are probably being funny Lionraven but I just want to put this out here.

As much as I would love to see us win a premiership with our current set-up (coaches & players), I am still 100% happy of how far our club has changed and now become even if that premiership doesn't happen in that short-term period.

It was only 5 years ago, where we were such a broken club on-field & off-field, it was such a embarrassment to follow them especially for me at school.

It felt like we were never going to become at least relevant again in the competition and the league itself.

Then suddenly, as soon as Fages (and Nobes) came to club, it felt like the club was improving every day and tbh still feels like it as well and I have to give credit to Fages and all the other coaches & staff who have created such a wonderful playing & working culture over these past 4-5 years.

A premiership out of these three years will be the massive cherry on top of the cake for all of the players, coaches, staff members & fans like us.

GO THE BRISBANE LIONS :brisbane:

Last edited:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

Very pleasing to hear of this extension. The club has never felt in safer hands since Leigh in about 99-05, so who couldn't be happy.

Its certainly not a conversation for today, but I've often wondered how our next senior coach appointment will transpire and whether there'll be a succession plan, although with who I'd have no idea. To me at least, Fagan seems the type of guy that will know when its time to retire or if he is past it.

Back