Roast Chris Fagan: 'Gold Coasters aren't interested in footy'

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

"I don’t think player retention is one. To be honest with you, I think one of the reasons Gold Coast struggles a little bit is because… it’s a nice place the Gold Coast. Why wouldn’t players want to stay there? Well, the reason probably is that it’s not a footy place. It doesn’t have a football culture. People aren’t necessarily interested in the game, and passionate about it. I think players will stay if they come to an area where people are passionate about football; they’ll stay if they come to a club that’s well set up and they feel like they’re improving and getting better. It’s not about those other sorts of issues. It’s really about that, I think. I don’t think there are too many reasons anymore."

Nice to see our mate up the road digging the heels in when his team ascends after a decade of mediocrity and we are where his club was two years ago. Don't forget Fages, the only silverware in your trophy cabinet to date is a wooden spoon. I thought he was a good guy until I read the quotes above. I've gone cold on this bloke and wanted to start a thread to roast him for a completely unwarranted attack.

:mad:

wow!
imagine longmire saying that about gws.
I was shocked as he seemed to be quite complimentary of us in the past. The AFL would punish Longmire heavily if he said 'the people of western Sydney don't care about football and that's why the Giants have player retention issues'. It's not like he even did it to stir up the QClash rivalry either. He actually believes it!

Here's a hot tip for you, Chris. How about you actually live on the Gold Coast before you start commenting on what we're like. You can GAGF!

:mad:

Exactly. I’m livid. My hatred of Brisbane and their condescending Coach and intruders into our forum just went through the roof.
The c**khead convinced a contracted Lyons to ask to be delisted and has now convinced Ah Chee to head up the M1. Talk about cannibalising your neighbours just so you can get to the top and then spitting on them when you get there!

The c**khead convinced a contracted Lyons to ask to be delisted and has now convinced Ah Chee to head up the M1. Talk about cannibalising your neighbours just so you can get to the top and then spitting on them when you get there!

Any goodwill is gone. Good.
I have been saying this for over 20 years and it applies in AFL as much as it does or did in NRL, Soccer and Basketball

The difference between GC and Brisbane is we want to beat them in Sporting Contests whereas they simply don’t want us to exist.

What an A grade tossbag. This is the cheapest of digs and totally untrue. Our growing membership numbers speak for themselves, our crowd numbers are pretty good for a team who isn’t performing well. Once we start playing well it’ll all change I remember what Metricon used to be in 2014 when we were starting to show some promise. There was plenty of interest.

Last edited:
2000 people at Salk oval for QAFL semi yesterday suggests otherwise.

The local clubs are bursting with juniors.

Fagan is better than that

I think both clubs have shown in what is absolute rock bottom of a year that they have 7000 rusted on fans that turn up no matter what and the rest of the crowd is then opposition fans.

I firmly believe that 7000 base swells to 14000 when each team is performing ok (fringe top 8 to top say 12th-14th) with the rest of the crowd opposition fans (Suns 2014, Titans 2016)

And then when either is top 4 material (Titans 2009-2010) then the stadium simply sells out and opposition fans struggle to even get a seat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it is up to Gold Coast supporters to prove him wrong. Most people on this forum are pretty keen, but when I either go to SUNS matches at Metricon or watch our NEAFL matches on youtube, there are not too many people in the crowd to watch our 2nds. If it is a "footy Place", why aren't there more people there to watch? I reckon it must disappoint our interstate recruits, when they know they'd get more people to watch if they were playing 2nd tier comps or even lower grades in their home states. Support for the senior team is not too bad, given our results. FWIW, I reckon we'll do a lot better than a Tassie team would.

I guess it is up to Gold Coast supporters to prove him wrong. Most people on this forum are pretty keen, but when I either go to SUNS matches at Metricon or watch our NEAFL matches on youtube, there are not too many people in the crowd to watch our 2nds. If it is a "footy Place", why aren't there more people there to watch? I reckon it must disappoint our interstate recruits, when they know they'd get more people to watch if they were playing 2nd tier comps or even lower grades in their home states. Support for the senior team is not too bad, given our results. FWIW, I reckon we'll do a lot better than a Tassie team would.
NEAFL is hardly a litmus test of support
If the game was played as a curtain raiser to the main game sure, but god knows where they're playing every week and when they do play at Metricon it finishes a couple of hours before the main game starts

Cmon guys get your head out of the sand.

He's spot on with his comments, sometime the truth hurts. There's no proof that what he is saying isn't correct.

Participation is up in junior levels, but the kids unfortunately don't follow a losing team, the downside to having so many interstate residents is that they all support a different team then the Suns, which generally means the kids follow in there footsteps. This will change if the team is successful but at this stage there isn't a lot of interest / passion about the Suns.

He's spot on with his comments, sometime the truth hurts. There's no proof that what he is saying isn't correct.

Participation is up in junior levels, but the kids unfortunately don't follow a losing team, the downside to having so many interstate residents is that they all support a different team then the Suns, which generally means the kids follow in there footsteps. This will change if the team is successful but at this stage there isn't a lot of interest / passion about the Suns.

IMPOSTER.

multiple account alert
Even if he was right which he isn't he doesn't have the right to say it
So I reckon we don't have our heads in the sand but you sure have yours up your ass

Remove this Banner Ad

Back