Toast Chris Grant - A Retrospectus

Remove this Banner Ad

Game #224 - Round 12, 2000 vs Melbourne at Docklands (28/5/2000)

Kicked 3.2 from 9k, 1hb in 25-point win over eventual grand finallists.

Grant played well, kicking straight and marking strongly, but a combination of Anthony Ingerson's pressure and limited opportunities meant the star was unable to break open the match. Grant kicked one in the first, third and fourth quarters but was generally well held by Ingerson.
That was a great game; 6 goals down at half time and all looked lost. I remember his last quarter goal, it was a set shot from near the boundary line. We were waving to him because the goals were directly between him and us. His kick narrowly missed us :)

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #218 - Round 6, 2000 vs Essendon at MCG (14/4/2000)

Kicked 1.2 from 7k, 3hb in the lesser-known matchup against the Bombers in 2000, in which the Dogs lost by 63 points.

Grant, who missed the previous week's loss to Collingwood because of a pinched nerve in his neck, could not escape the clutches of Dustin Fletcher. He played like a man who was still hurt and clearly worried about it. He was outplayed by Fletcher and without Turtle on fire, the Bulldog forward line failed to combine.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #217 - Round 4, 2000 vs Carlton at Docklands (1/4/2000)

1k, 2hb in 39-point win over the Blues. Grant left the field early in the second quarter after colliding with Carlton players Anthony Koutafides and Michael Sexton.

Bartletto gooooooooooaaall:

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #216 - Round 3, 2000 vs Port Adelaide at Docklands (26/3/2000)

One of our best, kicking 7.3 from 12k, 3hb in 47-point win over the Power. Along with Luke Darcy, Grant turned the game on its ear in the second term, collecting the three Brownlow votes for his efforts.

In a new role for Grant, playing closer to goal as a full-forward, he booted seven to give him 13 for the season. Steve Paxman was his honest self for the Power, but Grant was too classy. In contrast with last week's 1.3, Grant kicked smoothly and confidently from long range, finishing with a bag of goals despite a neck spasm that cost him about 10 minutes in the third term.

Grant's haul included 5 goals in the second quarter, and the 400th of his career.

This game was also notable for being the Bulldogs' first win at Colonial Stadium.

1599777226373.png

Featured.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #215 - Round 2, 2000 vs Brisbane at Docklands (19/3/2000)

Kicked 1.3 from 11k, 9hb in 29-point loss to the Lions.

This game was notable for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it was the first game played at Colonial Stadium with a closed roof.

Secondly, the Lions lodged a complaint after Simon Black was left with "marks on his neck" following a clash with Jose Romero late in the game. Jose got two weeks after Black dobbed him in at the tribunal. Jose accused Black and the Lions of fabricating the evidence as retribution for a previous tribunal appearance involving teammate Tony Liberatore and Brisbane's Craig McRae. Just one of those footballing mysteries where we will never know the truth...

Also, this was the week where Carlton sued the AFL in a battle over internet broadcasting rights. After the Bulldogs president described it as a "sad day for football" Carlton president John Elliott said: "I heard David Smorgon, the new boy on the block. He's just ignorant of the fact. He's only been there five minutes and they've only won one premiership in their tragic history." Well it's October 2016 now so suck it long and hard Johnny boy.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #214 - Round 1, 2000 vs Adelaide at Football Park (11/3/2000)

Kicked 5.4 from 16k, 5hb, 13mk in 23-point win over the Crows, collecting a Brownlow vote along the way.

Grant kicked five goals but could easily have had 8 or 9, playing closer to goal as the Dogs stormed home in 34-degree heat.

1599777691325.png

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #213 - Semi Final, 1999 vs Brisbane at the Gabba (11/9/1999)

Kicked 4.2 from 12k, 4hb in 53-point loss to the Lions.

Essentially, this match was over after 21 minutes. Seven straight Lions goals, a reeling Bulldogs defence and fierce tackling set the match up for Brisbane, who maintained their supremacy for the remainder of the contest.

As the match wound down, Alastair Lynch produced the most enduring image of the night while lining up for goal, placing his hands around his neck in a "choking" fashion, mocking the Bulldogs' woeful play-off record in recent seasons. Well it's October 2016 now so suck it long and hard Al.

The game was also notable for Steve Kolyniuk being racially vilified by Brisbane's Steven Lawrence.

In a surprise coaching move, Darryl White played at CHB on Chris Grant. The athletic White had the better of the Bulldogs star forward, who still managed four goals.

sep-1999-paul-hudson-for-the-western-bulldogs-hand-passes-as-chris-picture-id1010863

When Huddo starts handballing you know we're in trouble.

The season

The Bulldogs straight-sets exit from the finals failed to do justice to their H&A season. The Dogs finished 4th with 15.5 wins to make their third consecutive finals series under Terry Wallace.

Having recruited 33 y.o. Nicky Winmar, after their disappointing end to the year the Dogs traded out Leon Cameron (Tigers), Stephen Powell (Demons) and Brett Montgomery (Power) in exchange for young Port star Nathan Eagleton and draft picks which netted Mitch Hahn and Ryan Hargrave.

Grant's season

Turtle continued his excellent form, garnering his third straight spot in the All Australian team (bench) and his third straight runner-up in the Bulldogs B&F.

With a purple patch throughout the middle of the year, Turtle kicked 37.29 in 24 games (including game #200).

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #212 - Qualifying Final, 1999 vs WCE at MCG (3/9/1999)

Kicked 0.1 from 15k, 5hb in 5-point loss to the Eagles.

Granty went toe-to-toe with Glenn Jakovich. It was an immense tussle between two titans well-versed in each other's style, with Jakovich outstanding in defence as he rebounded attack after attack. Grant was never shabby but everything appeared to go against him (including the umpiring) despite his commitment and hard work. Grant was good, Jackovich was better.

The game was played in extremely swirly conditions which didn't suit the Doggies and the unfancied Eagles got up in what has gone down as one of their great finals victories. I forced myself to watch the game, if you have ever seen a team butcher the ball in front of goals like the Dogs in the first quarter, well I'll go f*** myself. Billy Kolyniuk played well.

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #211 - Round 22, 1999 vs Port Adelaide at Princes Park (28/9/1999)

Kicked 1.0 from 12k, 4hb in 67-point win over the Power.

This game was notable for Nicky Winmar kicking 4 goals, and Paul Hudson kicking 5. Huddo's fourth goal resulted from inspirational play, and not just from him. Brad Johnson, tight on the boundary, curled the ball to Chris Grant, who, under immense pressure, kept it in by sheer strength. Hudson then kicked truly from an impossible angle to put the Bulldogs 57 points ahead.

A few goals, a nice Granty mark and the abovementioned piece of play can be found in these highlights:

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I watched Grant against Carey twice - 1995/6 (?) and 1997

Both times he absolutely murdered him

Then there was that goal against Essendon in 2000, I was at my school's formal, with the game on the radio in the background, and dropped the poor girl I was dancing with to do cartwheels outside with a handful of Collingwood and Carlton friends of mine that were loving every minute of us beating their run

Thank you, Grant, for making me kick over a solid timber chair, bruise my ankle badly for six weeks, and ruin the night for a girl on her formal

You will forever be my hero

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
I watched Grant against Carey twice - 1995/6 (?) and 1997

Both times he absolutely murdered him

Then there was that goal against Essendon in 2000, I was at my school's formal, with the game on the radio in the background, and dropped the poor girl I was dancing with to do cartwheels outside with a handful of Collingwood and Carlton friends of mine that were loving every minute of us beating their run

Thank you, Grant, for making me kick over a solid timber chair, bruise my ankle badly for six weeks, and ruin the night for a girl on her formal

You will forever be my hero

As many have said before, there were better CHF's and there were better CHB's. HOWEVER, there wasn't a player in the AFL that could hold down a key position at either end as well as Grant could.

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #210 - Round 21, 1999 vs WCE at Princes Park (22/8/1999)

Our best, kicking 2.0 from 14k, 6hb in 2-point win over the Eagles.

Grant was superb at centre half-forward, taking 11 marks and kicking two goals. He was well on top of Ashley McIntosh early, although the underdone McIntosh battled hard to rein him in a little in the second half.

Grant was also involved in the play of the day with his second-quarter goal, dribbled through from an angle in Daicosian manner after he swept on to a loose ball, and beat the tackles of both Ashley McIntosh and Chad Morrison.

1605215230844.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game was notable for Nicky Winmar kicking 4 goals, and Paul Hudson kicking 5. Huddo's fourth goal resulted from inspirational play, and not just from him. Brad Johnson, tight on the boundary, curled the ball to Chris Grant, who, under immense pressure, kept it in by sheer strength. Hudson then kicked truly from an impossible angle to put the Bulldogs 57 points ahead.

A few goals, a nice Granty mark and the abovementioned piece of play can be found in these highlights:

Game #210 - Round 21, 1999 vs WCE at Princes Park (22/9/1999)

Our best, kicking 2.0 from 14k, 6hb in 2-point win over the Eagles.

Grant was superb at centre half-forward, taking 11 marks and kicking two goals. He was well on top of Ashley McIntosh early, although the underdone McIntosh battled hard to rein him in a little in the second half.

Grant was also involved in the play of the day with his second-quarter goal, dribbled through from an angle in Daicosian manner after he swept on to a loose ball, and beat the tackles of both Ashley McIntosh and Chad Morrison.
I went to both of these games. The Port game was fairly close until half time, after which the Dogs kicked 15 goals to 7 :thumbsu:

The Eagles game was enthralling. The Dogs had 10.0 on the board late in the 2nd quarter, but almost threw it away with 1.6 in the last quarter! Scott Cummings kicked 6 goals IIRC and Luke Darcy kicked what turned out to be the winning goal from a 50m+ set shot :)

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #209 - Round 20, 1999 vs Richmond at MCG (14/8/1999)

Kicked 2.1 from 10k, 4hb in 36-point win over the Tigers.

Each time Richmond threatened to get closer, a piece of magic from centre half-forward Chris Grant or a goal from Paul Hudson, Nicky Winmar or Brad Johnson got the Dogs rolling again.

Hudson kept the Dogs in touch in the second term with two goals, but it was a solo effort from Grant early in the third quarter that snapped the Bulldogs into some urgency. Grant came from behind three opponents to spoil a loose kick, fought the Richmond trio to gather the crumbs, then, offbalance, snapped a remarkable goal. Late in the term, a quick handball from Grant gave the skirting Hudson his second goal for the quarter and his fourth for the match. Grant was not outstanding; in fact, Darren Gaspar kept him reasonably subdued, but what Grant did was first-class.

apr-1999-nicky-winmar-of-the-western-bulldogs-in-the-changing-rooms-picture-id1010338

Four unanswered goals in less than one minute of playing time is remarkable. Surely a record?

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #208 - Round 19, 1999 vs St Kilda at Princes Park (8/8/1999)

Kicked 1.1 from 14k, 6hb in 24-point win over the Saints.

Shane Wakelin helped limit the effectiveness of Grant up forward, holding him to one goal.

Future Bulldogs messiah Luke Beveridge was among the Saints' best players.

1601270994620.png

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #207 - Round 18, 1999 vs Carlton at Princes Park (1/8/1999)

Kicked 0.1 from 10k, 5hb in 5-point loss to the Blues.

Stephen Silvagni had covered Grant all day, but the Dogs' forwards found more room once Silvagni left the field following a head-clash in the last quarter. Grant, freed at last from Silvagni's expert clutches, played a part in all four goals kicked by the Bulldogs in the next 15 minutes to reduce the margin to five points as the Doggies made a late charge. Grant also played a part in the last play of the match, which finished with Cook and Paul Hudson wrestling Glenn Manton and Dean Rice for the ball near the Bulldogs' goal square.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #206 - Round 17, 1999 vs Geelong at Kardinia Park (24/7/1999)

One of our best, kicking 2.2 from 12k, 6hb. The Dogs got up for a 7-point win after trailing by 20 points late in the final quarter.

1601271434434.png

jul-1999-luke-darcy-nicky-winmar-matthew-robbins-and-paul-dimattina-picture-id1009585

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #205 - Round 16, 1999 vs Adelaide at MCG (17/7/1999)

Kicked 1.1 from 8k, 3hb in 2-point win over the Crows. Solid defence by Mark Stevens (former Crows defender not grimacing AFL reporter) saw Grant's impact severely limited. When Stevens left the ground with a knee injury, his absence freed up the Bulldogs' forward line.

This game was notable for the Bulldogs pulling off a miracle win after being 40 points down at three quarter time, after Malcolm Blight's resignation during the week had fired up the Crows.

There is a series of eight clips of the comeback on YouTube (nice piece of Granty play at the start of part 4), starting with this one:

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Game #204 - Round 15, 1999 vs Kangaroos at MCG (11/7/1999)

BOG
, kicking 6.0 from 17k, 10hb in 42-point win over the eventual premiers.

Grant took on the whole Roos backline - McCartney, Archer, Martyn and Blakey - and won. He kicked six for the day and set up the win. The Roos could have played all four on him at once and it probably wouldn't have made any difference. In the words of this coach, Grant was "brilliant".

Grant took control of the game in the second quarter, exploding in a sensational eight-minute burst that delivered three goals, beating Jason McCartney for strength and nous.

His second goal was a showcase of the star forward's skill and talent. He outbodied Mick Martyn before shrugging off John Blakey for a beautiful goal from 45 metres. It was a taste of what was to come from Grant and the determined Doggies.

And here's the footage courtesy of the one and only sackofballs :

Last edited:
Game #204 - Round 15, 1999 vs Kangaroos at MCG (11/7/1999)

BOG, kicking 6.0 from 17k, 10hb in 42-point win over the eventual premiers.

Grant took on the whole Roos backline - McCartney, Archer, Martyn and Blakey - and won. He kicked six for the day and set up the win. The Roos could have played all four on him at once and it probably wouldn't have made any difference. In the words of this coach, Grant was "brilliant".

Grant took control of the game in the second quarter, exploding in a sensational eight-minute burst that delivered three goals, beating Jason McCartney for strength and nous.

His second goal was a showcase of the star forward's skill and talent. He outbodied Mick Martyn before shrugging off John Blakey for a beautiful goal from 45 metres. It was a taste of what was to come from Grant and the determined Doggies.
Great description Lucky Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back