Toast Chris Grant - A Retrospectus

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Lucky Star , love what you've been doing here. Was wondering if I could help out with adding some occasional footage to each game's write-up? Something like this?

However, I don't want my channel to be flooded with small Chris Grant clips, so I'm testing out uploading the videos as 'Unlisted', so only those in this thread can view the videos.

EDIT: In fact I think a better way to keep the thread a bit tidier would be if i posted this link to a Chris Grant playlist i'll add some videos to, so that Lucky Star can edit the originial posts to include the videos.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4YH-BEODh_0pDojqdZHNbqxOMiQEidRU

Only if you're interested though, of couse.

Mate that would be awesome sackofballs

You are the king, I am a mere footman.

Thanks for the vid of the last goal! I'll add your other vids to the respective previous entries.

I don't suppose you've got footage of the McDonalds ad that Granty did in around 1998 in your archives (cheeseburger I believe)? That would be the cherry on the cake!

Mate that would be awesome sackofballs

I don't suppose you've got footage of the McDonalds ad that Granty did in around 1998 in your archives (cheeseburger I believe)? That would be the cherry on the cake!

Just had a look, but don't think I have that nor have I seen it before, only found a Dougie Hawkins ad from 98 for Tattslotto . I have a lot of stuff from 2002 onwards, but before that the collection is pretty scattered.

Just had a look, but don't think I have that nor have I seen it before, only found a Dougie Hawkins ad from 98 for Tattslotto . I have a lot of stuff from 2002 onwards, but before that the collection is pretty scattered.

The Dougie Hawkins one would be entertaining no doubt.

I have gone back and added those vids to the original posts. I'll check your youtube link/account periodically for additions. To the extent that you can add any vids that are for upcoming games in the Retrospectus would be magnificent.

Game #265 - Round 13, 2002 vs Port Adelaide at Football Park (29/6/02)

Kicked 1.1 from 6k, 4hb, suffering an ankle injury as the Power ended the Dogs' 5-game winning streak by 46 points.

1603684316663.png

Last edited:
Game #264 - Round 12, 2002 vs St Kilda at Docklands (21/6/02)

One of our best, kicking 3.1 from 15k, 8hb (also 5 R50s) in 47-point win over the Saints, the Dogs' 5th win on the trot.

Granty kicked a couple of goals early, then was sent back in defence to steady the ship when St Kilda challenged in the third quarter. In the last quarter he showed his class and leadership by steering through a fine left-foot shot from near the boundary line.

Luke Darcy kicked a bag of course:

Last edited:
Game #263 - Round 11, 2002 vs Fremantle at Princes Park (9/6/02)

Kicked 1.0 from 2k, 11hb in 65-point drubbing of Freo. Granty set the tone early, soaring over Shane Parker in the first quarter to take a spectacular mark before converting for a goal.

1596065937029.png
Action packed.

Last edited:
Game #264 - Round 12, 2002 vs St Kilda at Docklands (21/6/02)

One of our best, kicking 3.1 from 15k, 8hb (also 5 R50s) in 47-point win over the Saints, the Dogs' 5th win on the trot.

Granty kicked a couple of goals early, then was sent back in defence to steady the ship when St Kilda challenged in the third quarter. In the last quarter he showed his class and leadership by steering through a fine left-foot shot from near the boundary line.
I went to that game with family and friends. Luke Darcy also kicked 5 goals (one per quarter and two in the last) :)

Game #262 - Round 10, 2002 vs Richmond at MCG (1/6/02)

One of our best, kicking 2.0 from 8k, 5hb in 19-point win over the Tigers. For a "season from hell" he still managed to get in the Dogs' best players quite regularly.

Granty started in defence, but was shifted to centre half-forward as Richmond got on a roll. His first moment of truth came within 10 minutes. With one arm trapped in a pack just outside the goal square, he raised his other arm and landed the ball on the palm of his right hand for a sensational mark. It was an act of balance and calm. He didn't wait to be overwhelmed by doubt, instead running in and goaling, riding the rhythm of the moment like a surfer rides a wave. Eight Bulldog players ran in to congratulate him.

In the final quarter, he again took a strong mark and withstood the pressure to goal and put the game beyond doubt.

After the game, coach Terry Wallace paid special tribute to Chris Grant, whose leadership capabilities were questioned during the five defeats that marked the start of the season. "People sometimes see a good leader as a player getting a kick in a winning side," Wallace said. "But leadership is when things are not going well. Chris kept things on an even keel, did not let people devour themselves, and never lost focus. He and the other team leaders have come out the other side now - - they have answered those questions about themselves."

Turtle himself credited a rigourous eight-week leadership leadership course with Victoria Police as the catalyst for the revival of the Western Bulldogs in recent weeks. "It taught us that when we struggle to run out games or we were unable to kick goals for a few weeks, we should stick together and hang in and it would all come right," Grant said. "We lost five in a row at one stage, but the police, who had been professional throughout, told us to maintain self belief and to examine the leadership skills within the group and then to reflect on the skills of the individual. Things were not going that well on the ground - for example, kicking for goal was a problem, but they were so convinced that sticking together was the answer. And after today, I'm convinced."

1603684585604.png

Last edited:
Game #261 - Round 9, 2002 vs Geelong at Kardinia Park (25/5/02)

One of our best, collecting 19k, 4hb, 10 marks, 10 r50s, and two Brownlow votes in a game where the Doggies hauled back a 40-point deficit to win a thriller by 12 points.

Turtle provided stability in defence, reliability under pressure and the source for telling rebounds. Although his goal-kicking had been the subject of much recent talk, Granty let his hands do the talking, particularly as Geelong made a last-quarter push, taking mark after mark. Most of his 10 marks came in the final term, to hold up the Cats and prove the difference between the sides.

1603684687681.png

Last edited:
Game #260 - Round 8, 2002 vs Sydney at SCG (19/5/2002)

Kicked 1.0 from 5k, 3hb in 69-point win.

Granty had copped a lot of flak for missing easy goals this season and had a nightmare of a game against Collingwood the previous week when he managed just four behinds. But you could feel a sigh of relief when the Bulldogs captain judged the flight of the ball better than Andrew Dunkley and opened his team's account with an easy shot from the goalsquare.

This was back when we played home games at the SCG. The Dogs were unimpressed at having to share their warm-up facilities in the SCG nets area with rugby league's Canberra Raiders reserves. The Raiders were in town to play South Sydney at next-door Aussie Stadium and used the SCG facilities before their 1pm game. Terry Wallace's men felt they deserved better treatment considering it was their "home" game.

1603684784947.png

Last edited:
Game #259 - Round 9, 2002 vs Collingwood at Docklands (12/5/02)

Kicked 0.4 from 7k, 4hb in 10-point loss.

Horror game. I believe this game is mainly responsible for giving Turtle a reputation of having the yips in front of goal, which was partly true but also exaggerated. Certainly this game was a shocker, and painful to watch.

Among his missed shots, Grant hit the post once and missed another from 30 metres out directly in front. "Obviously he's kicked zero goals four so he's not doing a very good job of it and he knows and understands that as much as anyone else does," Wallace said. "He got it right last week, he didn't get it right the week before that, he didn't get it right today and he knows and understands that pressure mounts on him as much as it does on the football club."

The Age wrote that Grant had "come to resemble a shadow-boxer. One who looks good in the mirror, but doesn't land a punch. Worse, his kicking for goal is sad to witness. If Grant had kicked 3.1, as Rocca, his counterpart at the other end of the ground, did, instead of 0.4, then the Dogs would have won their second game of the season. His second miss in the third quarter, a gaff from 30 metres that would have extended the Dogs' lead to 12 points, was deflating and became doubly so moments later when Rocca took a soaring mark for a goal that narrowed the lead to a point at three-quarter-time."

Grant's most vital misses were in the third term when the Bulldogs could have extended their lead to nearly four goals. His day of woe started just 10 minutes into the first quarter when he had a shot from just inside the 50m arc. It drifted off to the left for a point. And 14 minutes into the second quarter, he was on the 50m line and again scored a point. In the third term he launched himself to take a spectacular mark but his shot from only 30m out again went to left and clipped the goal post. That behind at the four minute gave the Bulldogs a 11 point lead, but the Magpies and scored a goal on the rebound. And seven minutes later Grant had a 35m shot via a free kick but again missed to the left. He was proppy after that kick with a bruised hip, then spent time on off the ground.

Nathan "Coldsore" Brown gave his views on the goalkicking woes:

Granty himself believed he had his head straight. If only he could get his run-up straight. The Bulldogs skipper said he did not need a shrink, but had to shake the habit of veering right on his way into goal. When Grant arrived at the Whitten Oval as a 17-year-old in 1989, he made an instant impact as a goalkicker despite not having a set routine. "When I first started you just kicked the ball, that was about it," he said. "Bernie Quinlan got me into a routine all those years ago." Grant has taken several big hits in his 259-game career -- losing a Brownlow because of suspension and losing a preliminary final by just two points in 1997 -- but Sunday's loss was right up there on the pain scale.

"This game grabs you by the throat sometimes and just throws you to the ground," he said. "We've had our fair share over the years." Grant accepts responsibility for the 10-point loss to the Pies, the product of 2.9 from set shots compared to 8.3. "Usually when you're captain you're a good player and you can usually do things better than most people under pressure," he said. "That's the responsibility that comes with it. It was my kicking that let the side down. Two of the points I kicked were very, very kickable. I wasn't embarrassed. Just dejected. Deflated. You're in the side to kick the goals. When you play in the forward line you're expected to kick goals, that's the first part to it. The second part to it is I'm captain of the side."

Grant couldn't remember a tougher three months in the game, with his club an agonising 1-6 after the pre-season insurance saga that threatened his career.

My own theory is that Granty was sick of carrying the team as the main man after such a long period of time, subconsciously willing himself to failure as a way to relieve the burdens of responsibility. From memory, his goalkicking later improved with the assistance of an old mate of Plough's from the bush.

This game is also notable for the roof being closed midway through the second quarter as the rain came down.

Last edited:
Update on the Yips

Extract from Mike Sheahan article from 2010:

CHRIS Grant says there was a period during his stellar career when it wouldn't have mattered if the goalmouth were 50m wide as he prepared for a set shot. The exquisitely-talented Western Bulldog came clean this week -- he had the yips kicking for goal for much of his 18-year, 341-game career.

"Absolutely I did," he told the Herald Sun. It was late in the 1990s, when the Bulldogs were genuine premiership contenders and Grant was the team's most important player.

"It didn't matter if I was five metres out, I thought I was a chance of missing," he said. "It's the Richo (Matthew Richardson) thing. If I asked Richo to have kick-to-kick with me, even with a poor technique, most times he'd hit me, but it's totally different when you're kicking for goal."

Grant recalled a game against Collingwood at Etihad Stadium when his confidence was in tatters. "I'd taken a really good mark in the goalsquare and was kicking from about 12m and I hit the post. At the time, I remember thinking, `They (goalposts) could be 50m apart and I'm still not going to kick this'.

"Yet, in the same game, I could have been streaming off half-back and I could have hit someone running flat out 50m away. That has to be mental, doesn't it?"

Grant said it was the ramifications of any missed opportunity that crippled so many players kicking for goal. The impact a miss would have on the team in a tight game, on the result, on the player's self-esteem, on the supporters if the game were lost.

"When you find yourself in that situation, you get to the point where you say to yourself, `I'm happy to take the mark, but I'm going to give it off as soon as I possibly can'. Often to a bloke in a worse position. My problem was I always felt like I had to kick between two sticks."

Grant was a superb kick. As good in general play as anyone of his time. Flawless when he played at centre-half-back, super-efficient when he went to a teammate in the forward half. He said this week a sound technique obviously was important, but mental strength was the imperative.

Grant said "experts" usually do nothing more than complicate things by altering a player's grip, how high or low he holds the ball, how quickly he runs in to kick, whether the ball is on the "right" line vertically, and the player's arc as he runs in.

"You can imagine how many people had their theories on me," he said. He is convinced a player is better off employing his natural technique and kicking to a target: the goal umpire or a person or fixture or symbol behind the goal. Then the player is doing what he does so efficiently in general play, and that's kicking to a person, and in general play, it's usually a moving person.

Grant said the solution to his problem came via a friend of his then coach Terry Wallace. " `Plough' told me of this friend he said was the best kick for goal he'd ever seen," he said. "The guy never played AFL but he wrote me a letter and, like me, he was frustrated watching me be a great field kick then miss simple shots at goal. He wanted me to implement some of what made me a great field kick into my goalkicking routine.

"His theory was based on never ever having a shot for goal at training. He used to practise using a person, rubbish bin or a cone as a target. It was always about a target. I adopted that and it was like the shackles were lifted, that the pressure of looking at those bloody sticks was gone. I have to say it was fixed overnight by that bloke's letter. It's all in the mind."

THE BEST AND WORST OF CHRIS GRANT, 1990-2007

(seasons of 20 goals and more)

1990: 51 goals 31 behinds, 62%, 1994: 71.57 (55%)

2000: 40.20 (67%) 2005: 26.5 (84%)

GRANT'S BEST OVER HIS CAREER

Most reliable kick for goal: Jonathan Brown (Brisbane Lions), 451 goals, 258 behinds, 63.6%

Most reliable of current Bulldogs: Lindsay Gilbee

Most reliable of his teammates: Rohan Smith

Best routine: Tony Lockett (St Kilda, Sydney), Jason Dunstall (Hawthorn), Mark Williams (Hawthorn, Essendon)

Best field kick: Leon Cameron, Doug Hawkins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game #258 - Round 6, 2002 vs Carlton at Docklands (4/5/02)

Kicked 3.1 from 5k, 9hb in 28-point win over the Blues. This was a bottom of the table clash that saw the Doggies reap their first win for the godforsaken year.

Chris Grant was an angry man. He split packs, tackled hard and booted three goals -- his last sank the Blues in the last quarter. It looked like the Dogs were in danger of letting another game slip, but Grant sealed it with his third goal. It was a defining moment for the Bulldog skipper, who had borne much of the brunt of criticism for his side's inaccuracy.

All eyes were on Grant just three minutes into the term when he had the first legitimate scoring opportunity for the Dogs, whose kicking for goal had been slagged brutally all season.

Turtle was under pressure after a scathing attack from once-popular Sam Newman on the once-watchable Footy Show during the week. "Stop falling over so much," Newman said. "Get in, put your body in, take a couple of hard marks, kick a few goals and that's the only remedy the Western Bulldogs need, for you to do something and stop whingeing."

Newman said on The Footy Show that Grant needed to stay at centre half-forward, rather than drifting into defence. He said of Grant's 78 possessions this season, only 18, or 23 per cent, had come within the forward 50m. Newman also pointed out Grant had only five hardball gets for the year and, of his 31 marks, only seven were taken in a contested situation. Genius.

Surely the last word should go to "Feral Dog" in Inside Football:

show_image.php

Last edited:
Game #257 - Round 5, 2002 vs Melbourne at Docklands (26/4/02)

Kicked 1.3 from from 14k, 3hb in 23-point loss against the Dees. With their win-loss record at 0-5, the Dogs had slumped to their worst start to a season since the 1950s.

Granty's poor form led to the following assessment by Scott Gullan in the Herald Sun:

Chris Grant is a superstar. He should be a Brownlow Medallist but sadly he is heading down the path of being remembered for his inability to kick the big goals. If the Bulldogs skipper hadn't hit the post in the opening 90 seconds from a set shot 35m out, we might be singing a different tune.

Having said that, Gullan also wrote about Melbourne: Stephen Powell's presence is a big factor while the recruiting of Clint Bizzell, Craig Ellis and Peter Vardy was a masterstroke.

Last edited:
Game #256 - Round 4, 2002 vs Brisbane at Docklands (20/4/02)

One of our best, kicking 0.2 from 14k, 7hb in 16-point loss to the eventual premiers.

Rohan Smith and his captain Chris Grant played as loose men for much of the night. But it was not all damage limitation, and when the game was there to be won, Grant was up on the wing. His physical distress in the last quarter betrayed a man whose pre-season was not as he would have hoped.

1597373891834.png
Assassinated.

Last edited:
Game #263 - Round 11, 2002 vs Fremantle at Princes Park (9/6/02)

Kicked 1.0 from 2k, 11hb in 65-point drubbing of Freo. Granty set the tone early, soaring over Shane Parker in the first quarter to take a spectacular mark before converting for a goal.
This game is pretty special for me as it was the first game of footy that I ever went to - for some of you old blokes that might seem very recent but I was 5 years old at the time! I even had a Grant connection in this game - not that I remember it, but according to my old man, apparently I patted Chris Grant on the back when he was next to the fence.

Game #255 - Round 3, 2002 vs WCE at Subiaco (14/4/02)

Kicked 2.1 in 32-point loss to Eagles from 5k, 3hb... and a career-high 7 hit-outs.

As West Coast got out to a 28-point lead in the second quarter, Wallace pulled an ace from the pack, shifting Grant, previously stationed at full-forward, into the ruck. Grant forced a contest at the centre bounces and stoppages around the ground, enabling a brilliant Scott West (a game-high 33 touches) and Rohan Smith to provide the undersized Bulldogs forward line with opportunities.

72574403-apr-2002-daniel-kerr-for-the-west-coast-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited:
Game #254 - Round 2, 2002 vs Kangaroos at Docklands (6/4/02)

Kicked 1.1 from 11k, 5hb in 13-point loss to the Kangas.

Grant started the game at full back and spent long periods on the bench, apparently with a slight groin injury. His impact was minimal. His most significant moment came in the second quarter when Glenn Archer attempted to readjust his spinal set-up, by mistiming a punch at the ball and landing one heavily on the back of Grant's neck. While Grant had long maintained he had no worries about such collisions, the incident was significant in that it removed any doubt about the willingness of opposition players to fully test him after the preseason dramas surrounding his neck issues.

1597374087142.png
Only one hand free, only one hand needed.

Attachments

• 1597374085488.png
    1597374085488.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Game #254 - Round 2, 2002 vs Kangaroos at Docklands (6/4/02)

Kicked 1.1 from 11k, 5hb in 13-point loss to the Kangas.

Grant started the game at full back and spent long periods on the bench, apparently with a slight groin injury. His impact was minimal. His most significant moment came in the second quarter when Glenn Archer attempted to readjust his spinal set-up, by mistiming a punch at the ball and landing one heavily on the back of Grant's neck. While Grant had long maintained he had no worries about such collisions, the incident was significant in that it removed any doubt about the willingness of opposition players to fully test him after the preseason dramas surrounding his neck issues.

940567-apr-2002-chris-grant-for-the-bulldogs-marks-one-gettyimages.jpg
Byron Pickett killed us that game and nathan brown gave the north cheer squad the bird

Byron Pickett killed us that game and nathan brown gave the north cheer squad the bird

Yep, Byron killed us. It was a milestone match for him too, 100 games or something.

Browny apologised for giving the bird but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

It was a big week for the Dogs, who had the Team of the Century function during the week. Also, as you'll see from the pic above, Mazda sponsored both teams playing in the match.

Game #253 - Round 1, 2002 vs Adelaide at Docklands (31/3/2002)

Kicked 0.2 from 12k, 4hb in 19-point loss to the Crows.

Unsurprisingly, it was not a triumphant return in which Chris Grant shrugged off his limited pre-season, kicked a couple of clutch goals and helped the Western Bulldogs to their first points of the season. Rather, it was a day of mixed results, with the personal relief of Grant's resumption tempered somewhat by the loss to Adelaide.

Much like the challenge that confronts a backmarker at Stawell, the Bulldogs' captain had five weeks of summer training ground to reclaim and much improvement to come. Two missed set shots in the second quarter added to a collectively wasteful 12.21 and, just as there were no excuses for his unusually inaccurate teammates, nor were there any for Grant.

Indeed, if nothing else, the subject of the second-biggest off-field controversy of the pre-season (Wayne Carey's extramarital training sessions being the biggest) had plenty of time to practice his goalkicking, even if all body contact and matchplay were banned as the insurance wrangle over the perceived risks of his congential neck condition dragged on until 10 days before yesterday's season opener.

"To miss two goal opportunities at a pretty critical time was pretty disappointing," said Grant, who withstood the game's physical demands, while lacking some of his customary sharpness in pressure situations and strength in marking contests.

"To get the ball that I got, and a couple of marks, and to have been able to kick two or three goals would have been a handy return. But if you don't put any scoreboard pressure on them, all you're basically doing is floating around and taking a few marks, and that's basically how I viewed my game . . . Look, I'm captain, and when the time's there to kick 'em you've gotta kick 'em."

Coach Terry Wallace had apparently made little of Grant's presence before the game, despite his leader's preparation being limited to frustrating medical assessments and just one practice match, the last. Wallace said he offered only a private warning when presenting the No. 3 with his jumper that he should "not underestimate the influence he could have, even though he'd had a lighter run into the game".

Nor had Grant played a special part in Adelaide's pre-game planning, for Gary Ayres said that all the Crows could do was to seek the best match-up for the dangerous key forward, who was best afield with six goals, five in one quarter, at Football Park the only time the teams met last season.

Ayres believed his choice of Nigel Smart was vindicated. "We know Chris might be a bit underdone but you've got to also beat who's out there and I thought Nigel beat him today." The Wallace assessment was that "it was a serviceable comeback game, but no more than that". From Grant's perspective, the honours had been split, his 16 possessions and seven marks counter-balanced by his inability to hurt the Crows on the scoreboard, as well as by Smart's attacking play.

Yet there was no doubt it was a victory of sorts just to be there, and an immense relief. Grant said his recent standoff with the AFL had added a little extra anxiety and anticipation to the usual level of round-one keenness that is not reliant on extenuating circumstances.

For the five weeks since the issue became public, Grant's career had been in limbo. At one stage, he was forced to confront what a life without football may contain. But he had also been adamant his condition placed him at no greater risk than any other player; it was just a matter of the time the AFL and its insurance company would take to agree.

If Grant did not exactly receive an apology from the league, or an admission of fault over any part it may have played in the confidentiality breach, then the reprieved scragger was satisfied with the acknowledgement that the situation could have been resolved more quickly.

Last edited:
Game #252 - Round 22, 2001 vs Melbourne at Docklands (2/9/2001)

was a down year for the Dogs, as the magic of the Wallace reign started to fade.

Coming off four consecutive finals appearances, expectations were high the Western Bulldogs would again feature in the top eight. But a combination of factors worked against them. To finish 10th with 10 wins and 10 losses was probably a good result considering the setbacks suffered on and off the field:

• The retirement of captain Scott Wynd left a gaping hole in the ruck and midfield, and also in leadership.
  • Tony Liberatore's innocent act of self-defence against with Matthew Knights meant Libba, one of the side's few hard nuts, was missing for five weeks. And the fallout from that incident continued for several weeks.
  • The umpiring fracas involving Todd Curley and his subsequent suspension ruined Curley's season and hurt the defence.
  • The rumour and innuendo surrounding top playmaker Scott West and teammate Simon Cox in the second half of the season was also detrimental to the side's harmony.
On the positive side, the influx of several promising youngsters was a cause for great optimism at Whitten Oval. Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa, Jordan McMahon, Mitchell Hahn and Lindsay Gilbee were all given a significant taste of senior football in 2001 and showed enough.

Following the season, the club recorded a loss of $1.5M and Luke Darcy, Simon Garlick and Craig Ellis were one missed cab ride away from being caught in the 9/11 attacks.

For his part, Chris Grant remained the core of the side and was potent up forward, kicking 46.30. Most forward moves were structured around him and when he didn't kick goals, he almost invariably fed them out with either hand or foot. In 2001 he was the side's only reliable forward marking option, and as such it became too easy for opposition sides to shut him down. He was ranked 34th in Mike Sheahan's Top 50 and signed a new 4-year deal in the off-season.

In the final round of the year, Granty kicked 3.2 from 10k, 3hb as the Dogs went down by 10 points to the Dees.

72494397-sep-2001-chris-grant-for-the-bulldogs-in-gettyimages.jpg

After the game I bumped into the players at some long-forgotten watering hole and shared a few ales with the likes of Jordan McMahon, Crofty, Nathan Eagleton, the day's 7-goal hero Kingsley Hunter and, of course, Granty. I have a dim memory of Brad Johnson shouting "Bubba! Bubba!" as he ran down the street after Rohan Smith, who may have been barfing. Huddo was wearing this terrible tight black jumper with a big pink loveheart on it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back