Toast Chris Grant - A Retrospectus

Remove this Banner Ad

Game #144 – Round 22, 1996 vs Essendon at MCG (30/8/1996)

Our best, kicking 2.0 from 19k, 5hb in 3-point loss to the Bombers, collecting two Brownlow votes.

The Bulldogs' second-half revival owed much to the move of Grant from half-back to half-forward. Turtle gave the Dogs the lead with two minutes to play when he took a handball from Jason Watts and ran in to an open goal. But it wasn't to be, with Mark Mercuri coolly slotting a set shot at the death.

BULLDOGS YEAR

1996 was a dire year for the Footscray Bulldogs. The team finished 15th on the ladder with 5 wins, 16 losses and a draw, sitting only above the lowly Fitzroy in their final season before merging.

How bad was it? The threat of merger hung over the club the whole season. Alan Joyce was sacked as coach halfway through the season after a horror run of losses. The club’s youngest player, Shaun Baxter, was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. New recruit Alan Jakovich (taken with pick 9 in the draft) failed to fire. Even the “baby elephant walk” during the players’ revue was lacklustre.

Enough to make one spew up.

Fortunately, the whole season was captured in the much-loved documentary “Year of the Dogs”. While the Doggies had little to celebrate in 1996, the doco did go on to win the coveted “Best Editing in a Non-Feature Film” at the AFI awards. The Bombers game is featured heavily around the 1:06:00 mark. You can maybe watch it on whatever this is:

GRANT’S YEAR

1996 saw Chris Grant at the peak of his powers. Moved to CHB, he showed his versatility by dominating the air and keeping the big names in check. Footscray had a wretched year but Grant had a brilliant season playing on the game’s best forwards, showcasing his marking ability and athleticism.

Turtle was inexplicably overlooked for an All-Australian spot in favour of the ageing Paul Roos (who spent the year playing loose man in defence). He won the Bulldogs B&F (tied with Jose Romero) and fell just one vote short of winning the Brownlow medal. Many have blamed Steve Kretiuk’s errant kick against Essendon which ended up with Mark Mercuri, who put the Bombers in front, as costing Grant the medal.

Turtle's form brought new club Port Power knocking with a big-money offer, only to be trumped by a little kid with 20c. Now forgotten, the Swans and Tigers were also chasing hard.

Last edited:
BULLDOGS YEAR

1996 was a dire year for the Footscray Bulldogs. The team finished 15th on the ladder with 5 wins, 16 losses and a draw, sitting only above the lowly Fitzroy in their final season before merging.

How bad was it? The threat of merger hung over the club the whole season.

I was driving to melbourne yesterday and by luck happened to catch a double episode of Peter Donagan's This Sporting Life on SEN featuring Peter Gordon. He refers to having Collingwood President Alan McAlister and one other Collingwood official (Graeme Allen ?) in his livingroom to discuss the terms of a proposed merger. We all know how it turned out.

Also interestingly for me, because i am of the same bent, he said his favourite game, and the one he has replayed the most by far, was not the 2016 GF but the 2016 PF.

I was driving to melbourne yesterday and by luck happened to catch a double episode of Peter Donagan's This Sporting Life on SEN featuring Peter Gordon. He refers to having Collingwood President Alan McAlister and one other Collingwood official (Graeme Allen ?) in his livingroom to discuss the terms of a proposed merger. We all know how it turned out.

Also interestingly for me, because i am of the same bent, he said his favourite game, and the one he has replayed the most by far, was not the 2016 GF but the 2016 PF.
If you enjoyed that, I strongly recommend you listen to the podcast 'The Greatest Season That Was' season 3 - Fitzroy Bulldogs. The episode with Peter Gordon is outstanding.

Game #143 – Round 21, 1996 vs Carlton at Princes Park (24/8/1996)

One of our best, with 7k, 8hb in 30-point loss to the Blues, collecting one Brownlow vote.

Granty spent the day locked in a terrific struggle with Blues great Stephen Kernahan.

For a loss that occurred during a season in which the Scraggers finished 15th, this is quite an entertaining game, and can be viewed here:

Game #142 – Round 20, 1996 vs St Kilda at Princes Park (18/8/1996)

BOG
, with 18k, 3hb in 38-point win over the Saints, collecting three Brownlow votes.

St Kilda star Stewart Loewe was kept well in check by Chris Grant, who spent three nights in hospital during the week fighting an infection in a compound fracture of a finger in his left hand. He took to the field wearing a protective guard, surgical glove and a football glove over the top of that to protect his finger. But to see him mark with aplomb and find teammates with precision kicking off either foot, one would have thought his preparation was unhindered.

The game will leave on in Bulldogs' fans minds as being Allen Jakovich's best game for the club (3 goals) and the day Paul Dimattina kicked his first goal (courtesy of sackofballs ):

Game #141 – Round 19, 1996 vs Hawthorn at Waverley Park (10/8/1996)

Kicked 2.0 from 11k, 2hb in 67-point loss to Hawks.

Turtle kept Nick Holland well in check and then moved forward for two second half goals, but alas. Dunstall wreaked havoc up the other end in a masterful display.

The whole sorry saga is on YouTube, split into parts. Granty kicks a clever goal around the start of this part:

Game #141 – Round 19, 1996 vs Hawthorn at Waverley Park (10/8/1996)

Kicked 2.0 from 11k, 2hb in 67-point loss to Hawks.

Turtle kept Nick Holland well in check and then moved forward for two second half goals, but alas. Dunstall wreaked havoc up the other end in a masterful display.

The whole sorry saga is on YouTube, split into parts. Granty kicks a clever goal around the start of this part:

Wow Dunstall kicked 14 goals in that game. Someone didn't do their job well that evening :$

Game #140 – Round 18, 1996 vs Fitzroy at Whitten Oval (4/8/1996)

One of our best, kicking 1.0 from 9k, 1hb in 15-point win over the Lions. This win preserved for all time the Doggies' 7-year winning streak against Fitzroy.

Turtle led the Bulldogs defence with a big-hearted effort, stitching up Fitzroy's seasoned CHF John McCarthy in the process.

Each quarter of the game can be viewed on YouTube:

Game #139 – Round 17, 1996 vs Collingwood at MCG (28/7/1996)

BOG
, with 10k, 5hb in 6-point loss to the Pies, collecting 3 Brownlow votes.

This game is well-documented in the Year of the Dogs. See below, with a nice little preview for good measure ;)

Last edited:
Game #138 – Round 16, 1996 vs Brisbane at Whitten Oval (20/7/1996)

BOG
, with 16k, 4hb in 14-point loss to the Bears, collecting 2 Brownlow votes.

Propped at whichever end the breeze was blowing, in defence Granty was almost solely responsible for repelling Brisbane. Then in the final term, he gave hope that he could drag the Doggies across the line.

A selection of so-called highlights can be seen here:

I would like to share my most enduring and endearing memory of Chris grant

At Footy Park against the crows, night game. Grant led out and on the 50 took a dive. There is no way he was pushed or even tripped over his shoe lace but he was paid a free for ITB

The replay clearly showed it. He completely gamed the umpires and got the free. Crows fans were livid. Forty thousand people were chanting "Bullshit"

He kicked the goal and I as a lone Bulldog stood and cheered. I then got the s**t kicked out of me

Good times

I would like to share my most enduring and endearing memory of Chris grant

At Footy Park against the crows, night game. Grant led out and on the 50 took a dive. There is no way he was pushed or even tripped over his shoe lace but he was paid a free for ITB

The replay clearly showed it. He completely gamed the umpires and got the free. Crows fans were livid. Forty thousand people were chanting "Bullshit"

He kicked the goal and I as a lone Bulldog stood and cheered. I then got the s**t kicked out of me

Good times

Sorry to hear that, typical crows

A good case for keeping the boards closed ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game #137 – Round 15, 1996 vs Fremantle at Whitten Oval (14/7/1996)

BOG
, with 20k, 4hb in 18-point win over the Dockers, collecting 3 Brownlow votes.

Grant was inspirational across half-back, both making the play and stopping it dead in tracks when the Dockers attempted to push forward.

A reminder that Turtle was a marking machine:

BOG

Grant was inspirational across half-back, both making the play and stopping it dead in tracks when the Dockers attempted to push forward.

Love those 20 marks. I'd forgotten how great a mark he was. (Makes me think of Naughton.)

Thanks for posting it.

BOG

thank you for posting that. It brings back incredibly fond memories

Game #136 – Round 14, 1996 vs Melbourne at MCG (7/7/1996)

One of our best, kicking 1.0 from 13k, 2hb in 27-point loss to the Dees.

1590102810326.png
Footy Record for the round feat. Libba.

Game #135 – Round 13, 1996 vs West Coast Eagles at Whitten Oval (30/6/1996)

One of our best, kicking 2.2 from 9k, 4hb in 12-point loss to the Eagles.

West Coast coach Michael Malthouse slammed the use of Whitten Oval as an AFL venue after his players were subjected to cold showers after the match and raised concerns about all aspects of the ground as an AFL venue. :disrelieved:

1590463563954.png
Sooks.

Last edited:
West Coast coach Michael Malthouse slammed the use of Whitten Oval as an AFL venue after his players were subjected to cold showers after the match and raised concerns about all aspects of the ground as an AFL venue. :disrelieved:
To be fair, who the hell wants a cold shower in winter??? Unless you're in the tropics :cool:

Game #134 – Round 12, 1996 vs Sydney at SCG (23/6/1996)

Our best, kicking 2.1 from 15k, 4hb in 46-point loss to the Swans, collecting one Brownlow vote.

Sydney kicked two goals in the opening minute without a Footscray player winning a clean possession and things didn't get much better after that. Alan Joyce was forced to move Chris Grant to centre-half forward in the second half to give the Bulldogs someone to kick to. However, the move failed to pay off as Sydney piled on eight goals in the third quarter to extend the lead to 53 points.

Some low-quality vision of some low-quality Swans-centric highlights can be viewed here:

Last edited:
Game #133 – Round 11, 1996 vs Geelong at Kardinia Park (15/6/1996)

One of our best, with 15k, 4hb in 44-point loss to the Cats.

1606682742297.png

Last edited:
Game #132 – Round 10, 1996 vs North Melbourne at MCG (7/6/1996)

BOG
, with 15k, 3hb in 20-point loss to the Kangas, collecting 3 Brownlow votes.

Grant did a sterling job, completely dominating the in-form Carey at CHB. No footage or pics available-- perhaps no coincidence?

1606682970326.png

Last edited:
State of Origin – Victoria vs Allies at MCG (1/6/1996)

Kicked 2.1 from 9k, 2hb in 53-point win over the Allies.

Granty sat out nearly all the first half then came on to kill off the Allies' second-half surge in an entertaining hitout.

Game #131 – Round 9, 1996 vs Adelaide at Whitten Oval (25/5/1996)

One of our best, kicking 1.0 from 11k, 6hb playing at CHB in 40-point win over the Crows, only the club's second win for the year.

A very entertaining watch:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back