Chris Grant's Future

Remove this Banner Ad

:eek: dont we all!

wouldnt surprise me though, his body has been tormented this year. doesn't look like it can take much more.

Eade said today that Grant had last week indicated he would more than likely go on. Saying that he looked mightely disappionted today when Melb won. I instantly thought maybe he was thinking i have played my last game.

I would think he'd give himself a break and see how his body pulls up during the preseason. Hope he isn't going that bad that he feels he can't go on

bulldogrob said:
If he was gonna retire surely he would allow his fans a game to say goodbye

You'd like to think so but i recon he wouldn't want to make a fuss over it. Maybe he is waiting for a farewell match next year at the G so they can squeeze in 90,000 ;)

if chris grant retired i would be devastated!!! ive grown up watching him play and he is my hero! hes played 16 seasons n im only 2 years older than that, to see him go would leave a massive hole. hes the heart and soul of the club and should be a brownlow medalist and premiership medalist.
i cant see anyone else being worthy enough to wear the number 3 after hes done, its should be a number saved for someone who will be a legend. i hope he plays next year and finishes with what he deserves, a premiership!!

unirossa26 said:
if chris grant retired i would be devastated!!! ive grown up watching him play and he is my hero! hes played 16 seasons n im only 2 years older than that, to see him go would leave a massive hole. hes the heart and soul of the club and should be a brownlow medalist and premiership medalist.
i cant see anyone else being worthy enough to wear the number 3 after hes done, its should be a number saved for someone who will be a legend. i hope he plays next year and finishes with what he deserves, a premiership!!

Same thing i was gonna write up. Just treat this as a rumour, Grant was apparently suppost to make his retirement announcement this last week before friday's clash with collingwood but he didnt. So there a chance he changed his mind ;)

Just incase some are lazy like me:D

Grant keen to play on
29 August 2005 Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Chris Grant has all but confirmed he will play on next season.
Western Bulldogs stats
Collingwood stats
Round 22 photos

Speaking minutes after Melbourne snuffed out the Dogs' finals dreams in an MCG thriller, Grant said the club's late-season form had convinced him to go on.

Grant will discuss the future with his wife Melanie in the coming days, but it appears a formality the 32-year-old will enter a 17th season.

"These last six weeks have convinced me that I probably will," Grant said.

"It's all about where the team's heading and being excited about that. There's light at the end of the tunnel and it's in the near future.

"My form's been OK when I've been playing and been fit, so why not?

"I've got my family to think of . . . but I can't imagine them saying no to it."

The decision means Grant is well placed to break the club record of legend Doug Hawkins.

Grant has played 312 games, 17 short of the record Hawkins posted in '94 when he passed Ted Whitten's 321.

Although Grant has had an amazing run of injuries this year, he has taken solace from the fact much of it was bad luck. Grant has had several impact injures, including a broken jaw, cheekbone, ribs and a dislocated shoulder.

He also suffered a medial ligament tear after landing awkwardly. But Grant said none of his war wounds were "old-age injuries".

He will have a post-season shoulder operation and tackle another pre-season confident he is over the worst.

"I'm unlikely to cop the injuries I've had this year again," Grant said.

"If it was soft-tissue – groins or hammies – and I couldn't get out there it would be different, even though the finals are beckoning. The body's still in good nick."

Grant said the decision to play on would have been tougher had the Dogs been preparing to take a step backwards to rebuild or been caught in a holding pattern.

He used retiring Richmond champion Wayne Campbell as an example of a player who perhaps found himself in a position where real September success still seemed a little too far away.

"He sees himself at the absolute most playing the following year and he had to weigh up, `Are they going to play in a premiership the following year . . . are they going to play finals?'," Grant said. "That's similar to me too.

"We've finished the year so well and there's every indication that if we play the way we've been playing we'll go quite well next year.

"We are going places. There's no guarantee we're going to get there next year, but it's probably more likely than in recent years." :D :D

nooB said:
Just treat this as a rumour,

And as I said it came from Rohan's little tacker, but I was just worried for a while. You know, out of the mouth of babes, but it all looks good now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldog_Grant3 said:
Did anyone see Chris do the moves for Lovett when he kicked that goal in the last quater:D Was unreal he was stepping with him right and left.:)

Loved it, reflexes are all still there.

paul scholes said:
there wouldn't be one person in the footy world who wouldn't deny granty a flag

Ian Collins!!

Ryan Griffen should ask for the great man's number 3 for season 2007. I see plenty of similarities between Granty and The Griff in that they are both what Dougie Hawkins used to call a Rolls Royce. Griff seems so balanced and has plenty of time to weigh up his options before disposal similar to a young Granty. A worthy recipient to continue the dynasty of great number 3s at the Doggies.

Mitcha said:
Ryan Griffen should ask for the great man's number 3 for season 2007. I see plenty of similarities between Granty and The Griff in that they are both what Dougie Hawkins used to call a Rolls Royce. Griff seems so balanced and has plenty of time to weigh up his options before disposal similar to a young Granty. A worthy recipient to continue the dynasty of great number 3s at the Doggies.
What, get Granty number for 2007. What number will Chris wear?

bulldogtragic said:
What, get Granty number for 2007. What number will Chris wear?
I don't think the great man will even contemplate playing in 2007. Lets all enjoy his final season in 2006 and move on.

Mitcha said:
I don't think the great man will even contemplate playing in 2007. Lets all enjoy his final season in 2006 and move on.
I think there may be a flicker of hope if we play really well next year and he goes deep forward like Lynch who played for another 3 years past where Granty is.

Unlikely i agree, but we have to hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back