Past Chris Johnson (1994-2007)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Chris Johnson

There wasn’t going to be a real opportunity for me next year. And I didn’t want to play for another club – I couldn’t bear to put on another jumper."

Chris Johnson was purely magic either down back, with those scintallating dashes from the back line, or kicking freakish goals.

his quote in his retirement speech says it all, and sums up the lions spirit.

THE INDIGENOUS TEAM OF THE CENTURY

Code:
Backs:          [B][COLOR="Red"]Chris Johnson[/COLOR][/B]      Darryl White         Bill Dempsey 
Half-backs:     Gavin Wanganeen    Adam Goodes          Norm McDonald 
Centres:        Peter Matera       Maurice Rioli        Michael Long  
Half-forwards:  Nicky Winmar       Stephen Michael      Syd Jackson 
Forwards:       Chris Lewis        Michael O'Loughlin   Jim Krakouer 
Followers:      Graham Farmer (C)  Andrew McLeod        Barry Cable
Interchange:    Michael McLean     Byron Pickett        Michael Graham 
                David Kantilla     Ted Kilmurray        Peter Burgoyne 
Coach:          Barry Cable

Link ....

The last Fitzroy player standing in the AFL, Chris Johnson proved an important figure in the Brisbane Lions’ merger.

He transitioned from a small forward in his early days into the League’s premiere attacking defender who helped the Lions to three Premierships from four straight Grand Final appearances.

He revolutionised the role of the small defender in the AFL before hanging up the boots at the end of 2007.

chrisjohnson.jpg

Link

Lineup in Fitzroy's last ever game:

Code:
Number   Player

1        Brad Boyd
[B][COLOR="Red"]2        Chris Johnson[/COLOR][/B]
4        Stephen Paxman
5        John Barker
7        Jarrod Molloy
8        Martin Pike
10       Jeff Hogg
12       Matthew Primus
17       Simon Hawking
22       Scott Bamford
23       Simon Atkins
25       John McCarthy
27       Brett Chandler
28       Peter Doyle
31       Matthew Dent
33       Rowan Warfe
34       Danny Morton
37       John Rombotis
30       Nick Carter
39       Marty Warry
40       Shane Clayton

Link

Brisbane Lions' first ever team (1997):

Code:
[B]B:[/B]       Ben Robbins        Richard Champion     Danny Dickfos
[B]HB:[/B]      Michael McLean     Jarrod Molloy        Andrew Gowers
[B]C:[/B]       Matthew Kennedy    Adrian Fletcher      Nigel Lappin 
[B]HF:[/B]      Scott McIvor       Dion Scott           Michael Voss (c)
[B]F:[/B]       Darryl White       Alastair Lynch (c)   [B][COLOR="Red"]Chris Johnson[/COLOR][/B]
[B]R:[/B]       Matthew Clarke     Marcus Ashcroft      Shaun Hart
[B]I/C:[/B]     Justin Leppitsch   Clark Keating        Tristan Lynch

[B]Emer:[/B]    Nathan Chapman     Simon Hawking
         Scott Bamford      Shane Clayton

Brisbane Lions' first ever finals team (1997):

Code:
[B]B:[/B]       [B][COLOR="Red"]Chris Johnson[/COLOR][/B]     Alastair Lynch (c)   Danny Dickfos
[B]HB:[/B]      Andrew Gowers     Dion Scott           Darryl White
[B]C:[/B]       Scott Bamford     Adrian Fletcher      Tristan Lynch
[B]HF:[/B]      Steven Lawrence   Justin Leppitsch     Nigel Lappin
[B]F:[/B]       Nick Trask        Daniel Bradshaw      Jason Akermanis
[B]R:[/B]       Matthew Clarke    Shaun Hart           Marcus Ashcroft
[B]I/C:[/B]     Craig Lambert     Ben Robbins          Nathan Chapman

[B]Emer:[/B]    Brett Voss        Chris Scott          Shane Clayton

The best pick sevens in draft history
  • by: Al Paton
  • November 09, 2011 11:00PM
2. Chris Johnson, 1993 (Fitzroy)

Drafted from the Northern Knights three years before Fitzroy's demise, the tough and skilful back pocket was one of eight players selected to join the new Brisbane Lions in 1997 (others included John Barker, Jarrod Molloy and Brad Boyd). He went on to play 205 games for Brisbane (for a total of 267), playing in the 2001-03 premierships and winning All-Australian selection twice and being named in the Indigenous Team of the Century.

chrisjohnson.jpg

Link ....

The Giants - which are almost certain to have the top pick in each of the next two drafts - will be the major benefactors as they continue to bolster their roster ahead of a likely premiership tilt within the next five to 10 years.The short term promises plenty of lopsided results as Kevin Sheedy's batch of talented but undersized youngsters feels its way into the elite ranks.
Chris Johnson knows what they are going to go through having been a part of Fitzroy's horror last three seasons.
The Lions won eight of their 66 games from 1994-96, finishing at the foot of the ladder in their final two years before merging with Brisbane.
Another wooden spoon followed in 1998 before the Lions began a golden era at the turn of the 21st century.
Johnson, who gained All Australian selection in 2002 and 2004, believes the lessons learned from those tough times will make the Giants appreciate their success even more.
''You certainly hold on to it for a lot longer and bottle it up,'' he said.
''You think you're very, very lucky to have those opportunities and to be in those situations.''

johnsono.jpg

BRAD Johnson is the new AIS-AFL Academy coach, with the Western Bulldogs great taking the reins of the prestigious development program. Johnson, who has been an assistant coach with the Academy in previous years, fills the role which was vacated by Michael O'Loughlin, who was recently appointed the Sydney Swans academy coach.

Johnson will coach the level two group of the Academy (the players heading into their draft year), while former Brisbane Lion Chris Johnson will remain in charge of the level one squad, comprising players coming out of the under-16 championships.

There was obviously some talk of Chrissie joining Leppa up at the Lions, but at least we'll still get to see and hear Johnno on the Marngrook Footy Show and 3AW.

Brisbane Lions great Chris Johnson has been let go from his position as indigenous talent manager at the AFL

THE AFL has defended its decision to terminate the position of indigenous talent manager Chris Johnson.

On the eve of Indigenous Round, a league spokeswoman confirmed the triple Brisbane Lions premiership star had been released from his contract late last year.

Johnson was told he was being let go from the role he had held for two years to help cut costs at AFL House.

He earned about $100,000 a year to assist indigenous footballers in their transition from junior grades to the big league.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ialSF&utm_source=HeraldSun&utm_medium=Twitter

These are photos of Browny, Rocky and Chris Johnson at the Lions 2016 HOF Launch at Ethiad Stadium today: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaVFq7KUYAAd44l.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaVDU1NUEAAS8kn.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaU_KbXUYAIRH1O.jpg

It is great to see Chrissy Johnson in the Lions polo again! This is also a quote from Johnson on the Brisbane Lions Official Twitter: "There are good times ahead for the Lions. We need some stability at the Club, hopefully we can keep Leppa here for a long, long time."

Johnson back in the Lions polo:thumbsu::thumbsu::hearts::hearts:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I know of. Probably just still considers himself a Lion. <3
Absolutely love him. A true Lion! It does seem bizarre though that they had him in a Lions polo and not Browny. It was the main thing that made me think he was back at the club.

On another note do you know if Possum will be resuming his duties as the senior team runner this year TBD?

God I love CJ.

He was my last favourite player at Fitzroy and always a favourite at his time at the Lions. He is also the main reason behind my Bigfooty name being the last Fitzroy player to play in the AFL. Such a nice person as well and clearly really well suited to footy development.

Last edited:
Johnson on the father-son program
For Chris Johnson, the introduction of the father-son program has been of significant benefit to both of his sons, and the sons of his former teammates.

“It’s really been a good insight for the boys, especially for Lachlan Harris who is coming into his draft year,” said Johnson.

Casey Voss - the son of champion midfielder Michael Voss; Lachlan Harris – son of Fitzroy’s Leon Harris; Jake Bradshaw - son of 222 game Bears/Lions player Daniel; and brothers Lachlan and Preston Johnson - sons of Chris Johnson, were just some of the players to visit the Lions with the hope that the Club will draft them as future father/son prospects.

“For my Lachie, Lachie Johnson – it’s just an introductory level for him and a good opportunity to see what it takes to make it as an elite footballer.”

“Just being around the father-son boys and meeting some of the players as well, it’s been great for Preston, and Lachlan has just soaked up every bit of information he’s been given.”

They also attended Lions training on Wednesday afternoon where they shadowed new Lions coach Chris Fagan for the session. Daniel Bradshaw, Leon Harris, Chris Johnson and Donna Voss (the wife of Michael) were among the interested on-lookers.

“It’s always good to come back, I feel like the Club always opens its doors for us and welcomes us with open arms,” said Johnson.

Johnson said that, based on early signs, he was impressed with the players’ enthusiasm on the track.

“They look very fresh and very fit. They look like they’re up and about which is a great thing.

“Chris (Fagan) has come in with a new game plan and I think we’ll see some progressions this year, certainly moving forward. Hopefully we can get a few more wins than what we did last year. I’ll be along to most of the Melbourne games and might get up for one or two games here in season 2017.”

Reportedly, Chris Johnson's last game of Footy:

Jacana claims first EDFL premiership with rousing grand final triumph over Coburg Districts

8a62d44db4b5961dde346f8a2783bab2

Jacana players celebrate their win in the EDFL grand final. Picture: Mark Dadswel

Geordie Cowan, Hume Leader
September 10, 2017 12:41pm

JACANA’S long wait for a maiden Essendon District Football League premiership is over after triumphing in the Division 2 decider on Saturday.

The Jaguars’ better ball use and efficiency up forward were notable in their 17.5 (107) to 12.10 (82) defeat of Coburg Districts at Windy Hill.

7def7c8ae6bf7913f8e61c2e08179582

Jacana coach Robbie Fletcher and captain Michael Evans hoist the silverware. Picture: Mark Dadswell

It marked the club’s first EDFL premiership and the fourth in its 56-year history since claiming the Riddell District Football League’s top division in 2000, before moving to the EDFL the following year.

The success comes just a few years after the club was in dire straits. With beltings a regularity, the Jags were on the cusp of closing their doors.

“Over the last five or six years we’ve come a long way,” club president Rick Lloyd said.

“From where the club was, getting beaten by 30 goals week in, week out, the supporters have stuck by us, a few hard nuts came to the committee, tidied it up a little bit and got the right people on board.”

fad4e06539d987d9233a5d96e732bc9c

Billy Morrison was best afield in the grand final win. Picture: Mark Dadswell

With a host of passionate club members working hard behind the scenes, Lloyd said 2017 was the fifth of a five-year plan and Jacana had decided to “have a red-hot crack”.

The president said after being involved with the club for 50 years, it was those who remained most passionate about it who would receive the most enjoyment.

“It’s all voluntary. No one really lives in the area any more, but Jacana’s Jacana and you can’t beat that,” he said.

“It’s just purple and gold, that’s all it is. It’s just heart.”

cfc0daf4b748e7cb3681001e00cb035a

Jacana players and supporters belt out the club song. Picture: Mark Dadswell

One of the people involved in turning the Jaguars’ fortunes around played a pivotal role on the field on Saturday.

Chris Johnson belied his 41 years of age to play a starring role for the Jaguars.

The triple AFL premiership player with the Brisbane Lions was at his elusive best, often avoiding or shrugging off two or three Lions players to work the ball forward.

“It is probably four-and-a-half years in the making,” Johnson said.

“We worked really hard early days … you see 22 of us today but, geez, in this football club there are a lot of people who do a lot of work.

“Four-and-a-half years ago there was talk about folding, with no one willing to get their hands dirty.

“But we know what history the club’s got. We didn’t want to see it fold so we got a group together and got it rolling.”

953811272b447cb37bd9fdde2a6d7d2f

Jacana players celebrate their win in the EDFL grand final. Picture: Mark Dadswell

The win had even more meaning for Johnson, who was replicating the feats of his father in playing in a Jacana flag.

“I’ve always wanted to come back here and play in a premiership because my father did in 1982,” he said.

“It means a lot, it really means a lot.”

Coach Robbie Fletcher said his team’s pressure was fantastic for all four quarters, taking inspiration from Richmond’s win against Geelong on Friday night.

93b8208cf94f6c02161cbba552854825

Jacana star Cameron Cloke celebrates a goal. Picture: Mark Dadswell

“As a coach, I was happy throughout,” he said.

“It was four quarters of footy, which we didn’t do last time we played them.

“I believe we’re the fittest side in the competition and we showed that every week.”

Ruckman Billy Morrison won the medal for best afield for his starring performance, standing tall to take several key marks throughout the game.

49be7834240188e4488df6109019005b

Chris Johnson looks for an option on Saturday. Picture: Mark Dadswell

“I believe he’ll win our best and fairest. He’s showed again that he’s way too good for this level and hopefully he can test himself next year at the next level,” Fletcher said.

Forward Cameron Cloke was a powerhouse up forward, finishing with seven straight majors to take his season haul to 127.

Now looking forward to Division 1, Fletcher said the club was expecting to make “some big announcements” in the next month, having spoken to about a dozen players already.

“It’s been a struggle to get up there but now we’re there and now next year, watch out, because we’re coming,” Lloyd said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back