Roast Chris Mayne Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

I like to know why Daniel Wells was removed from the title.

His recruitment hasn't been a success due to the games he has missed.

Like Mayne, we are not getting value for money as he can't regularly play a 22 game season. I would say 15 games or less is a poor return on investment for the money he is on.

Nobody ever expected 22 games from Wells.

15 is a pass. Hes on track for 13 (plus finals!!!) if he stays healthy, and that was after some very careful managemnt, perhaps too cautious. 13 is not quite what we need but given the quality of the output he has delivered in 8 games (can I mention the win-loss ratio again?), well worth the risk. If Swan hadnt destroyed his ankle We wouldnt have Wells, so in my opinion hes a straight swap for Swan. A fair replacement for a list that doesnt have a problem with too many 30+ year olds and had tons of room for at least one

Nothing like Mayne. Not in the same stratosphere.

Last edited:
Wells has had his injury problems and has not played many games but you can say that he has made a contribution to the teams wins this year. You can't say the same of Mayne who has not contributed a lot to the senior side.

Dunn is an improvement on Brown. Frost went for the 3yr deal, can't blame him.

It depends what you consider an improvement. Dunns kicking has been an improvement and welcome. Brown is a better defender though and I reckon would be better for structure. His value is underrated from that perspective.

But my criticism isnt only of getting rid of Brown, it's that we didn't bank his compo when we did it. We got nothing for a good key defender. Last seasons trade period was a complete balls up when you consider what we received for Brown, Marley, Witts and Cloke. It was a fire sale and I believe lacked good strategy, thought and nerve.

Nobody ever expected 22 games from Wells.

15 is a pass. Hes on track for 13 (plus finals!!!) if he stays healthy, and that was after some very careful managemnt, perhaps too cautious. 13 is not quite what we need but given the quality of the output he has delivered in 8 games (can I mention the win-loss ratio again?), well worth the risk. If Swan hadnt destroyed his ankle We wouldnt have Wells, so in my opinion hes a straight swap for Swan. A fair replacement for a list that doesnt have a problem with too many 30+ year olds and had tons of room for at least one

Nothing like Mayne. Not in the same stratosphere.
If 15 games is the expectation then Wells should give back $200K of his $600K annual salary

If 15 games is the expectation then Wells should give back $200K of his $600K annual salary
For tax purposes, he should probably give back the $100k you tacked onto his salary as well.

Wonder if Priddis and Mitchell's retirement will make Mayne think about hanging up the boots at the end of the season given he hasn't played many senior games this year. If much the same happens next year, I'd say it will be is last and he won't see out his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the VFL today Mayne is genuinely a dud. We need to cut our losses and delist him. He's not even valuable depth at this stage.

I'm happy with the Wells pick up. Provided he can get on the park over the next two years.

So your happy for a veteran player on a big salary coming to our club unfit and playing only 10 games in 2017?

No Collingwood supporter should be happy with Wells.......sorry Mkcaptain it is so far from acceptable it isn't funny.

It is a prime example why we didn't make finals AGAIN in 2017.

10 games for Wells and 3 games for Mayne. Their recruitment for the contract term and amount of money they are both on has been a colossal failure.
The Freo fan were pissing themselves laughing when they heard we'd signed him, so was the vast majority of Bigfooty, yet here we are.

I believe our list management was temporarily taken over by ponies. It is the only explanation. I am just sorry we didnt sign Rainbow Dash on a 10 year deal.

Wonder if Priddis and Mitchell's retirement will make Mayne think about hanging up the boots at the end of the season given he hasn't played many senior games this year. If much the same happens next year, I'd say it will be is last and he won't see out his contract.
Collingwood need to make a call and terminate his contact, even if its at some cost!

I have heard that Mayne will be let go of his contract from the club. The club will pay him out on a performance based scale.
As part of the review l believe Bucks suggests he had no part in Maynes recruitment and wasnt the type of player we needed in comparison to the list profile.

That would be the best news I've heard all year related to Collingwood if true! That's both how dark this season has been and how much of a hinderance his deal was.

10 games for Wells and 3 games for Mayne. Their recruitment for the contract term and amount of money they are both on has been a colossal failure.

Well l believe the review into the footy dept has been completed by Walsh, and the Admin/ footy operations review has been completed by Murphy.
Board meeting on Tuesday, l think we are going to see a few more people moved on by this time next weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back