Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Give us a break. He is a 28 yo role player on gun money and contract terms (4 years). You effectively dismissed direct impact stats for KPIs and saying we are paying a guy 500k this year to be a glorified long distance running garden gnome.
No, I dismissed the stats you were referencing...as they aren't stats that would be used internally.

Clubs develop their own in house performance metrics, some are sourced from champion and others in-house.

No team uses generic tackles and 1% as published by the afl, as they all have differing definitions of what constitutes those metrics.

Champion Data definitions are the same that Ted Hopkins came up with back in the mid 90s!!

Because if I pay you upfront for a job and you only complete 1/3rd of it I would expect the money back. You could easily create a clause in the contract to protect yourself.

Right... of course, that'll work!

Actually, as I understand contract law it has little hope of working.

Recouping the funds would not make any difference to our salary cap as it is based purely off the contracts, we say we're spending $800k, AFL includes $800k in our salary cap. It's why Sydney signing Franklin for such an extended period is fraught with danger as they still have to include the salary in their salary cap for every one of those years even if he doesn't play every year.

Last edited:
Now I understand why we didn't get Vickery. There's no way in the world I would have paid him a 500K contract.
Vickery was a bit of a FA stitch up. Word is that Hawthorn and Vickery have agreed in principal to a third year on less money but only submitted the 2 years on the rumoured 500k. It allowed Richmond to get the tier 2 compensation and meant that they wouldn't match the offer.

Cloke was contracted so we could have just enforced that and Brown was a RFA so we could have matched the offer.

I would have enforced Cloke's contract and told the WB they they're going to have to offer something allot better than pick 76.

Yep, can see how Cloke sulking in the VFL for the full season pulling an apparently reduced wage of $400-450k for the year would have had us much better placed than having Mayne on $500k in the team. And then we would have lost him for nothing at the end of this season.

We'd offered Brown a 1 year deal on similar money, he wanted a 2 year deal which is why he left. You would have been happy to retain Brown for 2017-18 seasons?

Yep, can see how Cloke sulking in the VFL for the full season pulling an apparently reduced wage of $400-450k for the year would have had us much better placed than having Mayne on $500k in the team. And then we would have lost him for nothing at the end of this season.

We'd offered Brown a 1 year deal on similar money, he wanted a 2 year deal which is why he left. You would have been happy to retain Brown for 2017-18 seasons?

Cloke should be AFL team.

Brown I'm not worried about, Dunn is good replacement for him. Slightly worse one on one and slower but a much better kick.

I disagree with player ratings, I'd barely have him in the 22 on ratings. And I disagree that he's above average senior player, he's average senior player at best, he barely impacts games and regular goes cold. Would have rathered us pick up Vickery on on that contract.
What mechanism of the rating system do you disagree with?

Vickery was dropped and playing VFL footy last year, as he was the previous season at times too.

I actually don't mind Tyrone either by the way, but if he is getting 500K from Hawthorn it highlights that it ain't ridiculous money for a senior player

Oh really.. then why has the club over the yrs sought advice from epl clubs and their managers.

Have you so quickly forgotten Malthouse's quote about turning Collingwood into the Manchester United of the AFL. You realise the powerhouse we've become is actually a model of wealthy successful European Football clubs.

But of course.. ignorance is bliss.
All clubs go on fact finding missions with other institutions overseas. Does that mean that Al Clarkson could coach the Cavaliers? Probably not, due to it being a completely different sport played in different sporting environment. For what it's worth I reckon Buckley would also face the sack if he went with the same forward setup coaching the Bolshoi ballet, whose advice the club has also sought.

No s**t they have access to more stats but if you think those general public stats don't impact on his overall performance in the role then you have nfi.

Doppleganger on Rocca instructions : Run around a lot and most importantly mate go fill that patch of grass.

We are paying you 500k pa to grass guard and look pressure-ish, doesn't matter if in half your games you don't actually make a tackle or kick a goal just look like a headless chook/poodle in that patch of grass with good distances ran and thats all we need from you.

Give us a break. He is a 28 yo role player on gun money and contract terms (4 years). You effectively dismissed direct impact stats for KPIs and saying we are paying a guy 500k this year to be a glorified long distance running garden gnome.
Loki, he is not getting $500k a year for each of 4 years. CFC has previously posted the correct figures and they are exactly what I heard. There are various triggers involved but all up he'll be lucky to average out at $400k a year.

Loki, he is not getting $500k a year for each of 4 years. CFC has previously posted the correct figures and they are exactly what I heard. There are various triggers involved but all up he'll be lucky to average out at $400k a year.
Correct figures and triggers please. I'm sick of the club's bookkeeping being managed by the Jon Ralph Accountancy Firm.

I cannot for the life of me understand why people care what Mayne is getting paid. Once you let go of that worry footy is a lot more enjoyable.
Until it becomes a problem (will it ever?), why does anyone give a shite? He's a Collingwood player now, the least we as supporters can do is give the guy a chance.

Do you think A.Rocca will have our own specific tailored performance metrics that he is monitoring for the forwards, I would imagine it would have to do with GPS stats, the requested leading patterns, ability to perform their role in the defensive structure via spatial positioning, contests won, ability to retain the ball etc.

I reckon you would have lost Pebbles, like you lost me, at "specific tailored performance metrics."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All clubs go on fact finding missions with other institutions overseas. Does that mean that Al Clarkson could coach the Cavaliers? Probably not, due to it being a completely different sport played in different sporting environment. For what it's worth I reckon Buckley would also face the sack if he went with the same forward setup coaching the Bolshoi ballet, whose advice the club has also sought.

Malthouse won a premiership employing some Aztec warrior battle technique.

The world is your oyster my friend.

I cannot for the life of me understand why people care what Mayne is getting paid. Once you let go of that worry footy is a lot more enjoyable.

From what I've read on here some people are really into the list management aspect of following the club. Player payments and the salary cap is a big part of that, and his salary can affect which players we bring in and out of the club moving forward.

Cloke was contracted so we could have just enforced that and Brown was a RFA so we could have matched the offer.

I would have enforced Cloke's contract and told the WB they they're going to have to offer something allot better than pick 76.

That's exactly why you have no clue

Brown I'm not worried about, Dunn is good replacement for him. Slightly worse one on one and slower but a much better kick.

On the basis of what ? His past few seasons have been pretty poor output for a player on his coin , yet you are the same person whinging about Maynes contract size. Contradicting ??

I wouldn't term them to have struggled just not in peak form early season like you know most AFL players.

Also why bring that up as a point when it has been said at ad nauseam the JLT games were not the main reason behind peoples dismay at his contract size or if in fact we even needed him at all.

Mayne is not the worst player in the AFL, he is also not the forward line defensive messiah, he is not worth a 4 year 500k deal, he is a marginal upgrade on Blair and Goldsack.
I just am getting annoyed at the false positives used for him like a consistent ROCK, above average player, etc etc. We have said numerous times he is an ok role player and will improve on his JLT form, yet you guys can't see the other side of the fences point and just refuse to acknowledge he is not the messiah.

Oh FFS, dismount your high horse. Just where in my post did I make any comment about Mayne being good, bad or indifferent? Just where in my post did I claim his alleged contract was a good deal? Just where in my post did I question or dismiss what people were saying about Mayne?

I was merely following up on previous posts that suggested new players (Jolly & Ball) from other clubs take time that you went into ful throttle denial of. Reality is that they both improved through the early H&A season, as is common for players transferring from other clubs, despite your denial of that.

Even now your throwing up semantics to justify your denial of the reality.

Ah, the old goal posts mounted on wheels scenario, just shift them wherever it's convenient.

On the basis of what ? His past few seasons have been pretty poor output for a player on his coin , yet you are the same person whinging about Maynes contract size. Contradicting ??

Still allot better than Maynes

Ah, the old goal posts mounted on wheels scenario, just shift them wherever it's convenient.

Ahh the old cry about the goal post instead of argue against the point.

I think the club had a big say in their decisions.

Both had opportunities to stay, Cloke to ho our his contract Brown on an apparent 1 year deal, ultimately, it was their decision to go elsewhere. I'm not discounting the conversations they may have had with the club, but it doesn't change the fact they made the call.

Ahh the old cry about the goal post instead of argue against the point.

When you've settled on your point, we can argue it. It's a moving feast at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back