Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely different players.

Yes exactly he wanted to stay in melbourne at Carlton but they didn't want to pay the dollar bills.

Which further adds to the argument he would of equally considered an offer from the pies should we of offfered a similar deal to the crows. Wasn't about just wanting to go "home".

Fair enough.

I think Betts said he wanted to stay at Carlton rather than stay in Melbourne. Id assume by that there were no other clubs on his radar apart from Crows and presumablyt Power. . Its all coulda shoulda hindsight speculation anyway.

Dont for a minute think I wouldnt love Betts at Collingwood. Hes a jet. I just disagree that he was ever remotely gettable.

Last edited:

People talk about this a lot, it's muted to be $500 x 4. Wasn't there performance triggers involved? Wasn't it $420k x 4 plus triggers? Isn't his 4th year based on triggers? Would like to think he's only on $420k x 3 can anyone with inside word help us out. Didn't someone from another board say he's going to be on $420k x 3 by the end of it all?

If there are trigger, no way he gets 4 year, and very little chance of getting the maximum 500k surely?

I thought the overriding reason he left carlton was his gambling. Along with Yarran and Garlett.

a carlton employee told me a couple of years ago that betts had to get away from bad influences in melbourne and that adelaide was the best for him. endlessly lending money was mentioned.

he also said yarran will never play a game for richmond, and this was just a couple of months after they traded him.

Your memories unfortunately playing tricks, IMO. I would have had it as 5-10% in support of the move (the deluded), 50% wanting to wait and see for committing (the optimists) and the rest knowing it was a dud move (the realists). It was the middle group that were the most vocal!

I consider myself an optimist and even I didn't think we should recruit him. Once recruited, I always thought it was too much for too long but was at least prepared to wait and see what he offered before screaming my condemnation of the deal. I'm screaming loudly now.

I'd rather see Kirby get the defensive side of the game needed to displace both of them, as his offensive weapons are needed badly.

Think Kirby already has good defensive traits. His 2x run down from behind tackles against BHH a case in point. Just hasn't built the tank for senior footy....

Yet!

Not far off though.

I consider myself an optimist and even I didn't think we should recruit him. Once recruited, I always thought it was too much for too long but was at least prepared to wait and see what he offered before screaming my condemnation of the deal. I'm screaming loudly now.

There are always outliers :)

The issue for me was more that there was a "you're wrong" push from those in support of the move against those like myself screaming in condemnation. It wasn't so much for being against the move either, but rather for being so strongly against it.

It doesn't excuse the behaviour at all, but as loki04 has pointed out recently in another thread all it did was act as a red rag to a bull to those strongly anti the move and made their sense of frustration greater.

Now look around and those posters in support of it are nowhere to be seen. That's perfectly fine and I'm not going to bait them into commenting, but I sincerely hope we don't see a repeat of this sort of madness post 2017 so that thread on Puopolo from two weeks back scares me still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are always outliers :)

The issue for me was more that there was a "you're wrong" push from those in support of the move against those like myself screaming in condemnation. It wasn't so much for being against the move either, but rather for being so strongly against it.

It doesn't excuse the behaviour at all, but as loki04 has pointed out recently in another thread all it did was act as a red rag to a bull to those strongly anti the move and made their sense of frustration greater.

Now look around and those posters in support of it are nowhere to be seen. That's perfectly fine and I'm not going to bait them into commenting, but I sincerely hope we don't see a repeat of this sort of madness post 2017 so that thread on Puopolo from two weeks back scares me still.

Does it really matter who was against and who was for?

s**t pick up but we got him,
Hopefully he gets some form
Challenges for a spot and offers
something to team,
All you can really for now. Would have rather kept Cloke but what's done is done

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

s**t pick up but we got him,
Hopefully he gets some form
Challenges for a spot and offers
something to team,
All you can really for now. Would have rather kept Cloke but what's done is done

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cloke again?

No thanks

How's about..... Neither.

At this stage Maybe is the biggest stupid trade I've ever seen for the pies.

I emphasise 'at this stage'but hold very little hope.

Cloke again?

No thanks

How's about..... Neither.

At this stage Maybe is the biggest stupid trade I've ever seen for the pies.

I emphasise 'at this stage'but hold very little hope.
You just wait until we take over Tippett's contract and we have the two most over paid players in the AFL playing for us ;)

People talk about this a lot, it's muted to be $500 x 4. Wasn't there performance triggers involved? Wasn't it $420k x 4 plus triggers? Isn't his 4th year based on triggers? Would like to think he's only on $420k x 3 can anyone with inside word help us out. Didn't someone from another board say he's going to be on $420k x 3 by the end of it all?

If there are trigger, no way he gets 4 year, and very little chance of getting the maximum 500k surely?

Dear God, please let this be true.

He better not have CBA increases built in either. Mayne playing VFL at 420 for 3yrs, before turfing him out before his 4th year, is a lot better than 600 at 4yrs if he has a CBA increase built in as well.

Any chance that in the first year of this 20% salary cap increase we could just pay out his whole contract and be rid of him?

Well Gee it's almost like if you've got a s**t ton of money then attractive women are all over you by default.

Who would have thunk it?!
What are you suggesting?

I've never thought money could be an attraction- perish the thought

I did think there was trigger clauses, am sure I was told that.
Not seen his contract has anyone
Just wondering?

This far looks poor return

Remove this Banner Ad

Back