Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Setting aside what people think of JS’s motivation for posting the video the content alarmed me. I know Mayne is a steady influence when you have headless chooks like Madgen and Maynard running around in D50, but that montage was primarily from one game (I didn’t watch it all).

We need to speed up our ball movement and when it’s broken down like that I don’t think I want him back in the mix. Bianco will lose contests, shape and probably not find as much ball, but I think there’s more value in him moving into that role for the remainder of the season.
Hit the nail on the head.
Mayney has been great for us since arriving but in 2021 his ball movement is frustrating. The video is merely a lighthearted joke about this, not an attack on his character. People will get upset about anything these days

I can now see why Mayne takes our kick ins
Mayne just chips it to the pocket and whoever marks it turns it over anyway.
I'd rather see Quaynor take kick ins. We don't use his speed, kicking or rebounding enough, and have turned him into a lockdown defender. He plays that position well, especially for his age, but he'd be better off in the Harry OBrien mould.

What a man, what a player. Congrats on your career and good luck in retirement.

Much maligned by many uninformed punters. He’d be one of the first picked every week, lifts in the big moments and is just dependable no matter where you play him on the ground. Goes hard and deserves every credit for how he played the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO by far the biggest list cloggier CFC has had in a while, key corner stone to Buckley's demise....

But, can't deny he milked every inch of talent from what was given and I congratulate him on forging a long AFL career...He did have his moments!

Last edited:
Can't ever be disappointed with a guy that has given his all and bows out with class.

All the best Mayney, you fn out-n-out legend. :blueheart:

IMO by far the biggest list cloggier CFC has had in a while, key corner stone to Buckley's demise....

But, can't deny he milked every inch of talent from what was given and I congratulate him on forging a long AFL career...He did have his moments!
You clearly didn’t watch any footy post 2017

In the end provided value for what we paid for him.

Certainly far better value than Beams and Wells who were far better credentialled but provided virtually nothing.

Got to admire his professionalism and selfless team orientation. If only some others with more talent had his determination and application.

Can imagine why he's retiring - bloke puts his body on the line endlessly.

I was one of his bigger critics over the years, but the last 12 months (and his epic GF performance) have made me walk back a lot of that. I think I hated his salary more than anything he ever actually did.

He's clearly one of our best workers, trains hard, gives a great example to young guys on prep, and is widely loved by the playing group. Thanks Mayney

Well done Mayney, went from Zero to Hero after a horrendous first year, to become a very, very valuable part of the team.

Went within a kick of a premiership and gave your all, will leave a much-loved and respected player and a great example to many young kids on how to believe in yourself, be focused, determined, and never give in.

Can imagine why he's retiring - bloke puts his body on the line endlessly.

I was one of his bigger critics over the years, but the last 12 months (and his epic GF performance) have made me walk back a lot of that. I think I hated his salary more than anything he ever actually did.

He's clearly one of our best workers, trains hard, gives a great example to young guys on prep, and is widely loved by the playing group. Thanks Mayney
As it turned out, he was great value for money compared to some of our other players. What a salary cap disaster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back