Player Watch Chris Mayne (Retired 2021)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps we should be less critical of Collingwood and ask why Fremantle developed a professional football player over the course of nine years that developed such issues when moving workplaces?

WTF!

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps we should be less critical of Collingwood and ask why Fremantle developed a professional football player over the course of nine years that developed such issues when moving workplaces?
Do you really believe this is the right fit for the situation, or are you just playing a mild sort of devil's advocate role? Because on the surface, you'd expect Chris Maine, who is still with us, to speak truthfully of his early experiences of the club. We've heard Buckley's story about how he was subtly pressured into an unfavourable deal over Chis's contract, but all we got in response from Chris at that time was mediocre football games and silence.

Now that Mayne has built a solid portfolio of playing well in pressure games, suddenly he speaks about crying prior to training and being unwilling to get out of the car. I sense a guy that has established a reputation as a final's player and a person of worth, now wanting to explain why he didn't perform like a $500000 a year player at the start of his contract. I suspect that Chris was not proud of his reputation as an overpaid hack and wants supporters to understand the difficulties he experienced meeting their expectations.

I don't have a problem with the questioning role you have adopted. However, I am inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to Chris Mayne. He played well last year when it counted, and he earned my respect. I think Fremantle ultimately produced a player that showed his worth in the most important football contest of the year.

Last edited:

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you really believe this is the right fit for the situation, or are you just playing a mild sort of devil's advocate role. Because on the surface, you'd expect Chris Maine, who is still with us, to speak truthfully of his early experiences of the club. We've heard Buckley's story about how he was subtly pressured into an unfavourable deal, but all we got from Chris at that time was mediocre football games and silence.

Now that Mayne has built a portfolio of playing well in pressure games, suddenly he speaks about crying prior to training and being unwilling to get out of the car. I sense a guy that has established a reputation as a final's player and a person of worth, now wanting to explain why he didn't perform like a $500000 a year player at the start of his contract. I suspect that Chris was not proud of his reputation as an overpaid hack and wants supporters to understand the difficulties he experienced meeting their expectations.

I don't have a problem with the questioning role you have adopted. However, I am inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to Chris Mayne. He played well last year when it counted, and he earned my respect. I think Fremantle ultimately produced a player that showed his worth in the most important football contest of the year.

Bullshit TGG in regards to your Bucks comment.

We treated Mayne like s**t......it was disgraceful.

Thankfully everyone saw the light in 2018.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bullshit TGG in regards to your Bucks comment.

We treated Mayne like s**t......it was disgraceful.

Thankfully everyone saw the light in 2018.
Bullshit in what respect? I was alluding to Bucks saying he (Bucks) had been dealt a bad hand i.e. Mayne was being overpaid. I am suggesting that now that he has the form, he is stating his case, namely that he was left to flounder. Don't quite understand your disagreement.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bullshit in what respect? I was alluding to Bucks saying he (Bucks) had been dealt a bad hand i.e. Mayne was being overpaid. I am suggesting that now that he has the form, he is stating his case, namely that he was left to flounder. Don't quite understand your disagreement.

Bucks chooses the players.....the $ are what the accountants worry about.

We treated him like s**t when we headhunted him.........that is my point.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bucks chooses the players.....the $ are what the accountants worry about.

We treated him like s**t when we headhunted him.........that is my point.
So Bucks was fully aware of the deal when he claimed that he had been duped? Nevertheless we still agree that he was treated like s**t - only you are saying that Buckley had full knowledge and consent, which I am not denying, he possibly did, but I don't know for sure, as obviously you do.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
On the above interaction, the rights, the wrongs, of the recruitment... don’t know.
Never seen the contracts. Don’t know who knew what, what amounts....
Does it really matter?

That Chris felt there was (for him) a lack of support is of concern. Though the indications are he sees it differently now. Which is good news.

It also is good that as a club we have rectified short falls in player care. Ofcourse assuming the story is fully accurate (because the media never add mayo or twist words around).

That’s the main take away, short falls are improved. We all learn together.
I’m not sure he was treated like a leper and ignored or treated with contempt by the players, coaches, staff.
That appears a bridge too far.

But having less player welfare would be a detriment.

Though careers and getting games are not guaranteed. Players have to earn it on talent and work. Sometimes they miss out in line ball decisions. That’s not on the club in my view, that’s on the nature of competitive cut throat sport.
We should be selecting the best team always, not selecting players who may feel the most needy.

Welfare and care is also common sense. As a good environment fosters greater trust. Better freedom to play and trust team mates.

Now for all the sins of club land, no doubt there’s sins there.
I still reckon it compares to almost naught in the way some on social media have acted over the journey about Chris.

And he’s not the only player where the social media role has been vile and degrading.

The first line of responsibility lies with what I do, what each social media user does.

A little respect and manners goes a long way.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
So Bucks was fully aware of the deal when he claimed that he had been duped? Nevertheless we still agree that he was treated like s**t - only you are saying that Buckley had full knowledge and consent, which I am not denying, he possibly did, but I don't know for sure, as obviously you do.

People can only know if they see the contracts or set the books.
Nathan would know a player is being targeted and he’d tick it off. The exact amounts, the exact terms wouldn’t be of particular concern to him or in his knowledge basket.
He might have said, sure get him, oh if it’s three years I guess that’s ok. Or he knew vaguer terms.
Not sure that even matters much.

Just don’t believe a player, especially like Chris who is known as a good guy and hard worker, would be treated with contempt by a coach.
Rather the coach might have views on how he’d want him to play and if the game played didn’t match the expectations, well a spell in the twos becomes the norm.
Like for any player.

Chris has worked hard and earned his place.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
People can only know if they see the contracts or set the books.
Nathan would know a player is being targeted and he’d tick it off. The exact amounts, the exact terms wouldn’t be of particular concern to him or in his knowledge basket.
He might have said, sure get him, oh if it’s three years I guess that’s ok. Or he knew vaguer terms.
Not sure that even matters much.

Just don’t believe a player, especially like Chris who is known as a good guy and hard worker, would be treated with contempt by a coach.
Rather the coach might have views on how he’d want him to play and if the game played didn’t match the expectations, well a spell in the twos becomes the norm.
Like for any player.

Chris has worked hard and earned his place.
Chaps talk when they're thrown together to develop a football team. Can't imagine Buckley would not have known how much Mayne was offered or paid.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
500 grand isn't even a lot for a senior AFL player... blokes are on well over double that now. List cloggers who barely play a game would be on 300k so to prize a solid 150 game veteran out of another club 500k isn't much, it's made out to be a huge contract but it's not these days.

The average is probably 400-450k. I don't blame Maybe for feeling like s**t switching clubs and not being able to break into the one's at first and copping the backlash but he is paid a pretty standard wage, not a star's wage.

That article says a lot about Mayne, but it says a lot about Bucks as well. Adds weight to the theory I've always had about Bucks. He was a s**t coach because he wasn't particularly emotionally intelligent, but there was a small glimmer of hope because he was a guy who worked his butt off and changed in order to improve. We saw this as a player and a captain. As a coach, that glimmer of hope has become enough floodlighting to light up the MCG. Go Chris Mayne and go Nathan Buckley, you're both legends who can overcome anything.

That article says a lot about Mayne, but it says a lot about Bucks as well. Adds weight to the theory I've always had about Bucks. He was a s**t coach because he wasn't particularly emotionally intelligent, but there was a small glimmer of hope because he was a guy who worked his butt off and changed in order to improve. We saw this as a player and a captain. As a coach, that glimmer of hope has become enough floodlighting to light up the MCG. Go Chris Mayne and go Nathan Buckley, you're both legends who can overcome anything.
Well said. Let’s hope Mayne can get back soon. He has become our talisman.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I’m pretty dissapointed in the club after reading that. But good on Mayne from getting through it.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
F U to all the Mayne doubters.

Back