Recommitted Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Well, Buckley has signalled that Collingwood are effectively going to try and boot him out the door. If he could he picked up for virtually nothing and paid minimum chips, he might have some interest from teams looking for more forward pressure, or even just another 'third tall' target.

On the basis that he'd probably be "a good player in a good team", I wonder if Geelong might at leat be thinking about it, especially if Menzel leaves.

Well, Buckley has signalled that Collingwood are effectively going to try and boot him out the door. If he could he picked up for virtually nothing and paid minimum chips, he might have some interest from teams looking for more forward pressure, or even just another 'third tall' target.

On the basis that he'd probably be "a good player in a good team", I wonder if Geelong might at leat be thinking about it, especially if Menzel leaves.

Mayne will want his 500k a year and wont go anywhere else without it as if collingwood delist him they have to pay him the whole lot out.

They are probably going to have to pay 300k a year of his salary for the next 3 years to get another club interested and for that they may as well keep him.

Can't see any clubs who would have any interest in him. Pies will have to pay over two thirds of the deal if they manage to offload him.

Unlikely but GWS went after De Boer and Mzungu last year and could take Mayne if they wanted another hard worker although they are different players.

Pies would have to pay a fair chunk of his contact. Reality is Pies forward pressure was no good this year. If a club wants to take Mayne for his forward pressure surely Pies would have just played him. He's probably cooked but there's no way he'll walk away without being paid a handsome figure.

He barely got a kick in the VFL, who the hell will take him?

$1.5m payout or keep him are really the only options.

I do feel for this bloke a bit. He really should have been delisted by Freo but instead Collingwood gave him a huge contract which you can't blame him for taking.
I don't see any team reaching out to him so buyout would probably be their best option... Who knows, maybe he'd make a good line coach.

Mayne will want his 500k a year and wont go anywhere else without it as if collingwood delist him they have to pay him the whole lot out.

They are probably going to have to pay 300k a year of his salary for the next 3 years to get another club interested and for that they may as well keep him.
That's what I meant. If Collingwood pay him out (or mostly) and someone else can pick him up for minimum chips....

He barely got a kick in the VFL, who the hell will take him?

$1.5m payout or keep him are really the only options.
They could pay him out for a lot less than $1.5m. Effectively pay him $1m for not 'working' for the the next 3 years. He would be mad not to take it and then at least try and resurrect his career or move into coaching etc.
I feel for the bloke.
Gubby Allen has a lot to answer for. He screwed the Lions over getting Fev, and his 3 months at Collingwood cost them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They could pay him out for a lot less than $1.5m. Effectively pay him $1m for not 'working' for the the next 3 years. He would be mad not to take it and then at least try and resurrect his career or move into coaching etc.
I feel for the bloke.
Gubby Allen has a lot to answer for. He screwed the Lions over getting Fev, and his 3 months at Collingwood cost them.

Why would he take one mil when if they delist him they have to pay him 1.5 (and they have to pay it out under the 2017 cap which i doubt they have room to do). Collingwood really have no leverage here they either keep him or pay a heap of his salary and trade him for pick 100 if another club will pick up the other 15 %.

He'll be sacked, and no one will pick him up

0 % chance he gets sacked unless the afl let you spread the 1.5 mil payout over 3 years instead of it all going in the 2017 cap (then you would have penalties for exceeding the cap etc). Technically i don't think thats allowed under the current rules although the afl might allow you to do it-they tend to change rules whenever it suits them.

Why would he take one mil when if they delist him they have to pay him 1.5 (and they have to pay it out under the 2017 cap which i doubt they have room to do). Collingwood really have no leverage here they either keep him or pay a heap of his salary and trade him for pick 100 if another club will pick up the other 15 %.

Economics for one. DCFs and the time value of money. Add the fact that he can walk away and is free to do other things (or at least attempt to restore his reputation), earn other cash, and simply not being in an environment where he knows he has to spend 3 years in the VFL with a coach and club that didn't really want him in the first place.

Also his first year would have been loaded. We had Clokes $800k-$900k and Swan's $800k off the books.

The other thing is is actually contract. He may have had the ability to earn $450k pa subject to games played or other incentives.

Fact is we don't know how much he earns without playing seniors.
But economics/finance is pretty straight forward.

Unlikely but GWS went after De Boer and Mzungu last year and could take Mayne if they wanted another hard worker although they are different players.
Yes it's unlikely and dear God I hope not. Except for another year with a horrendous injury toll I can't see why we'd play him, and honestly, why would we lose guys like Hopper and Kennedy & ignore potential draftees to get him in - apart from a pure cost basis if Collingwood essentially paid most of his salary? Just an odd recruiting move, and now Collingwood have to work out how to get out of it in the best way possible for them.

Mayne's dad and buckley definitely won't be exchanging christmas cards.
The whole situation is comical really, even as a Pies supporter. Everybody playing the blame game - Chris must feel like absolute s**t right now.

This is Ricky Nixon though, take note of that
We'd be one since Motlop and Menzel apparently have one foot out the door. We want defensive pressure and Mayne used to offer such. We get the best out of most players who come here, hopefully we could with him. I doubt it but it's worth a shot if Collingwood paid 300 of his salary I guess.

We'd be one since Motlop and Menzel apparently have one foot out the door. We want defensive pressure and Mayne used to offer such. We get the best out of most players who come here, hopefully we could with him. I doubt it but it's worth a shot if Collingwood paid 300 of his salary I guess.

I don't really see it we already have black as a middle aged backup medium forward on minimum wage we don't really need another.

Devon Smith is the pressure player we are after and have been chasing for a while.

I think the club and he should part ways if other teams are interested, but I see no benefit in delisting him. He deserves another season at AFL level, wherever it is.

The thing is if he goes to another club, he will succeed. I know it. It's the Collingwood way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back