Toast Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

We like to give him stick for his goal kicking accuracy and fair enough but you can't question the effort he put into his charity work.

Went above and beyond the average footy player and most do a fair bit of work for the community. Almost won the Jim Stynes medal. I bloody hope we don't boo him when he plays at Subi

We like to give him stick for his goal kicking accuracy and fair enough but you can't question the effort he put into his charity work.

Went above and beyond the average footy player and most do a fair bit of work for the community. Almost won the Jim Stynes medal. I bloody hope we don't boo him when he plays at Subi
Boo him? I'll be cheering Mr Pick 23 for the rest of his playing days.

Al the best to Chopper at his new home.

But the decision to leave was his own...so...where's the RTB driving him to the airport meme?

Nah, TBH I couldn't blame anyone if the rumours of $500k a year for 4 years are true.

We would have perhaps given him a 2 year deal at most, and certainly nothing like half a million a year.

Nah, TBH I couldn't blame anyone if the rumours of $500k a year for 4 years are true.

We would have perhaps given him a 2 year deal at most, and certainly nothing like half a million a year.
Thanks for sending him over, we'll take good care of him. Seems like a top bloke who gives a 100%.
$500k doesn't seem to be true ,perhaps some lucrative triggers. Too early to say.
Not worried about his goal kicking. We shed Cloke who is probably worse , things can only get better. And have fun with that pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for sending him over, we'll take good care of him. Seems like a top bloke who gives a 100%.
$500k doesn't seem to be true ,perhaps some lucrative triggers. Too early to say.
Not worried about his goal kicking. We shed Cloke who is probably worse , things can only get better. And have fun with that pick.
One thing all Freo supporters will agree on is that Mayne will give you 110% every game.

Just needed to share Gekko71's post from the Collingwood board over here, because it is bloody magnificent:

Chris isn't a KPF - don't fall for that trap. If you play him as a tall forward / KPF it just won't work!

He's too tall / not quick enough to be a crumbing forward and too small to be a KPF... and anyone who says he can play tall thanks to his big leap and strong hands is lying - we tried that for season after season due to necessity, and rarely saw his best.

Treat him instead as a loose man up forward, with scope to roam around the field a bit and drift between HF and the midfield - you'll thank me later.

The simple truth is there's no other forward in the comp quite like him, so you have to let him be him.

He won't kick long-distance goals, he won't take monster marks, he won't land miracle snaps from the pocket, he won't offer you long dashing running goals, he doesn't do look-away handballs, he doesn't do side-steps and he has no X-factor to speak of.

What he WILL do, is run hard, fight hard, sneak up behind every defender and midfielder in Christendom like some Caucasian, high-speed, golliwog ninja and gleefully shove their dick in the dirt, every time they DARE move HIS sherrin away from the forward line. In the process, he will kick more than a few goals, and make you very happy.

Keep his confidence high, get him the ball as much as possible and there will be plenty of badly-bent johnsons out there to point and laugh at.

Like I said earlier - treat him with respect, he's definitely one of the good guys. I sincerely wish him only the best.

Just needed to share Gekko71's post from the Collingwood board over here, because it is bloody magnificent:
Think the post is underselling Mayne a little too much, he is a ripper mark, can definitely kick snaps from the pocket, can offer lookaway handballs and has a bit of x factor when let off the leash.

Think the post is underselling Mayne a little too much, he is a ripper mark, can definitely kick snaps from the pocket, can offer lookaway handballs and has a bit of x factor when let off the leash.

If anything it oversells him and that's saying a fair bit!

I think you may have a point there... but in my defense I was trying to capture the spirit of the bloke, more than accurately describe his every nuance.

I couldn't recall Chris ever making a miracle snap or cheeky sidestep when I was writing the post. What did come to mind however was just how frequently he could blindside other players in a game, and flatten them at high speed with his tackling. That's a rare skill frankly when you think about it, but Chris always makes it seem easy - and every time he does it, the tackled player always seems slightly embarrassed afterwards at being so easily run down.

Good luck at Collingwood Chris, and thank you for your years of entertaining footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back