Toast Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck in the future Mayne.

View attachment 299629
You sir are a dick. The guy's yips have annoyed the crap outta me for years but I cannot say a bad thing about his work ethic or effort. Mayney deserves respect from the Freo faithful, he delivered us pick 23 after all. Terrific person and has always given it his all, hope he does well at the pies.

Sad to see him go. Yeah, he had the yips for a while there, but bloody hell, he put in. We all started to concentrate on what he wasn't doing and missed the many things he did well. As good an attitude as you're going to get on an AFL field, willing to play a role and that will go with him. Looking forward to what a new environment will do. As long as they don't expect him to play as a genuine 2nd tall which is how we've needed to use him, I reckon he'll go OK.

All the best Mayne, loved your work.

Chopper was one of my favourite players in that golden 2013 season. His clutch goal at 50m was the difference in that Geelong QF before Hill sealed it.

I think that his confidence must have really taken a beating after 2014, and he hasn't recovered from that. Hopefully a change of environment and a fresh start will help with that and he can find some of his mojo again on-field. If rumours coming out of Collingwood are true, he's certainly a good sort of player to bring into a team that's trying to clean up its culture.

Thank you for all the good memories and the service, Mayney. Won't miss the goal kicking yips, but I will miss the joy of your bone-crushing beast tackles on opposition players. All the best on your fresh start!

Chopper was one of my favourite players in that golden 2013 season. His clutch goal at 50m was the difference in that Geelong QF before Hill sealed it.

I think that his confidence must have really taken a beating after 2014, and he hasn't recovered from that. Hopefully a change of environment and a fresh start will help with that and he can find some of his mojo again on-field. If rumours coming out of Collingwood are true, he's certainly a good sort of player to bring into a team that's trying to clean up its culture.

Thank you for all the good memories and the service, Mayney. Won't miss the goal kicking yips, but I will miss the joy of your bone-crushing beast tackles on opposition players. All the best on your fresh start!
Well said. I'm stoked he won't be lining up for us next year but very much appreciate how much he gave on the field for Freo and wish him nothing but the best. He was a big part of us making it to the big one in 2013.
My abiding memory of him however will always remain, sitting at a set of traffic lights and he was in the car behind singing along to whatever he had coming out of his speakers like he was on X Factor. Dancing in his seat, doing all the facial expressions, completely oblivious to his surroundings. I actually thought he was having a fit or screaming at someone on the phone at first. I love people who can be completely uninhibited and lost in music so it endeared him to me.
I know I've been hard on him here at times but only because a) I know this place means nothing in the real world and b) I genuinely believed a spell at Peel would have been the best thing for everyone in the long term & I wish RTB would be more proactive about changing up team dynamics at times.
Best of luck Mayney (even though I know you'll never read this).

You sir are a dick. The guy's yips have annoyed the crap outta me for years but I cannot say a bad thing about his work ethic or effort. Mayney deserves respect from the Freo faithful, he delivered us pick 23 after all. Terrific person and has always given it his all, hope he does well at the pies.
Piss off. Don't care.

The guy is a legend. Gonna miss him crushing fools.

Mr-T-mrt-36834265-320-254.png

I think this will work well for everyone. Thanks Mayney for everything! I hope you do well at the pies.

Mayne is the player you want on a list just because you know what you are going to get every year, and that is 100% effort. He is courageous and a tackling machine. I am sure that if he can manage to find some confidence in front of goal he will be a solid player for Collingwood. Certainly a big part of us reaching a grand final with his manic pressure.

Good luck Mayney, and thanks for the memories!

Good luck to him, he has secured his future and Freo would not have offered him that contract. Also fantastic outcome for us, he is just the type we need should be moving on to refresh our list. He may give the Pies 2 good/OK years - but 4 years way too long. I guess that is the trade off in not having to give any draft picks for him.

Wish you well Mayney, just make sure the pie blood does not infect the pure purple and come back home to the port in 4 years in a coaching or development capacity.

One of the absolute nicest blokes of the AFL & always gave it his all for us. Would genuinely like to see him regain his good form of a few years ago at Collingwood (obviously I hope he gets the yips when it's against us though) & wish him all the best.

I still find it somewhat mystifying that many supporters think there are players in our professional football side who don't try very hard.

That's the only thing I can take out of comments like "He gives 100%", as if he's one of the few.

People put far too much credence into facial expressions in body language.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see a lot of professionals in many fields not put in 100% at times. Not sure why people would think footballers would be any different. Lots of times in games where some players could chase, tackle or run harder. Probably even more times when they could put more effort into improving their skills during the week.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mayne has been huge for us for a pick 40. Nice bloke and gives everything. He was very important in our side and highly rated, reflected by cracking our best and Fairest top ten five times 2016 (6th), 2015 (9th), 2013 (6th), 2012 (2nd!), 2011 (10th). Great player and will leave a hole that will be hard to fill.

Will forever remember him for his:
Got us within 3 points.. If Only.

45abbc299fa03beea46962ae3e3d37d5

That was the peak of our existence as a club (so far)

**** got Goosebumps recalling that moment and now I'm all misty eyed thinking about what could have been

His effort was immense and he never ever gave up or left anything out there on the field

#mayneman

Also apparently is a really nice bloke

That was the peak of our existence as a club (so far)

**** got Goosebumps recalling that moment and now I'm all misty eyed thinking about what could have been

His effort was immense and he never ever gave up or left anything out there on the field

#mayneman

Also apparently is a really nice bloke
yep good luck Chris and all the best ....but me hearty its blades and muskets when we meet now, plucked feathers and walk the plank tis for you

I always had a lot of time for Mayne, even in his recent lean years he has been fantastic at repeat sprints and effort in a thankless role. Hope he does well at Collingwood.

I always had a lot of time for Mayne, even in his recent lean years he has been fantastic at repeat sprints and effort in a thankless role. Hope he does well at Collingwood.
4 years at a side that hardly travel and home games at MCG. Definitely stoked for him, not a bad way to finish his career.

So this got lost in the fast moving trade thread but what happens if we sign a UFA/RFA now? supposedly the AFL says the net value will downgrade our compo pick right? but we have traded 23 to Hawthorn already so is that like a workaround for the system that you can trade your picks before they are downgraded when signing free agents?

You would think they have thought about this and maybe made the clubs sign something when trading the compo that says we cannot get any free agents but this is the AFL we are talking about so who knows what actually would happen

So this got lost in the fast moving trade thread but what happens if we sign a UFA/RFA now? supposedly the AFL says the net value will downgrade our compo pick right? but we have traded 23 to Hawthorn already so is that like a workaround for the system that you can trade your picks before they are downgraded when signing free agents?

You would think they have thought about this and maybe made the clubs sign something when trading the compo that says we cannot get any free agents but this is the AFL we are talking about so who knows what actually would happen
Fairly certain the system would implode Census 2016 style if we took a free agent now. Pretty sure pick #7 would end up in GWS hands "somehow".

We have never done that we'll with free agency. Good to see us make like bandits this year going the other way. Good to see we are prepared to change s**t up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back