Coach Chris Scott - coach of the year?

Remove this Banner Ad

are you drunk?? Dimma won 2 flags. A minor premiership and made the finals another 3 times. he is no way well behind those 2. There is only one coach he is behind and that is Clarkson and that is FACT.

Your super coach couldn’t beat Hardwick with a 20 point lead and basically playing 2 short in the Prelim
And you blame that on the coach?
We were heavily depleted, and again, played above ourselves to get that lead, as Tigers ere clearly down at the start.
When it came to the crunch, Tigers were able to do what they've done for 3 years, and that is play power premiership footy. They have the list, the fitness, the knowhow, and belief to do that. We are no longer in that realm to do that against the best.
It is NOT coaching. If it was, why were we up at half time?

So by that rationale, with Richmond winning more premierships than Geelong and having a far better head to head finals record, Richmond are superior in September correct?

I'm guessing Scott beating Malthouse in one game doesn't put him ahead of Malthouse then?
No but 3x in 2011 certainly did.

It’s also fair to say that Hardwick has done a very good job of building his list on the back of a number of good draft picks. That list luxury isn’t something Scott has quite had. Scott has done a pretty good job of keeping this team relevant. Hardwick is a good coach, so is Scott-can’t understand the need to argue about it.

The club has also happily traded away picks to bring in mature age players. Can't use the excuse you don't have picks when you give them away for (mostly) crap.

And you blame that on the coach?
We were heavily depleted, and again, played above ourselves to get that lead, as Tigers ere clearly down at the start.
When it came to the crunch, Tigers were able to do what they've done for 3 years, and that is play power premiership footy. They have the list, the fitness, the knowhow, and belief to do that. We are no longer in that realm to do that against the best.
It is NOT coaching. If it was, why were we up at half time?
Power premiership footy for 3 years lol....
What 3peat?

So by that rationale, with Richmond winning more premierships than Geelong and having a far better head to head finals record, Richmond are superior in September correct?

I'm guessing Scott beating Malthouse in one game doesn't put him ahead of Malthouse then?

The rationale is an extremely straightforward and basic concept. I'll break it down so you don't have to keep scribbling that crayon

Everytime Chris Scott and Dimma have faced off against eachother
Chris Scott has won 8 times and Dimma 4 times.
That includes all games including finals.

Afraid to type anymore as it seems to confuse you. This means Scott has beaten Dimma twice as much as Dimma has beaten Scott. Usually when someone beats the other more they're considered better.. Especially when it's by twice as much

So how exactly is Dimma the better coach? His record against Scott is considerably worse. Cuz he wun 2 flags off Pyke and Cameron lol? Nfi why you'd use that to compare Dimma to Scott when these coaches actually play off against eachother. Pretty crayonish approach tbh

Last edited:
Have to disagree strongly with that statement too. Scott has not always had the cattle. We haven't had a quality ruckman since Ottens, and until now he hasn't had quality back up for Hawkins (big and small forwards). Over his 9 year tenure as coach Scott has lost 23 Premiership players. That's more than a team, and yet the club has managed to remain in contention

That is such a false argument, and it's one that excuse makers never let die.

Of course premiership players have been lost; the first flag was now 12 full seasons ago. Did you think we'd still have a 42-year-old Darren Milburn patrolling the backline next to a 40-year-old Matthew Scarlett? He's also had nine full seasons to develop replacements. Which is more than long enough.

When you finish top 4 in five out of seven seasons, and top 2 in four of those, you definitely have the cattle some of the time (in 2013 we absolutely did). You should certainly expect to at least make one Grand Final. And only one person was responsible for dropping our best ruckman before a Qualifying final, or playing our best key defender out of the backline for an entire finals series. Those decisions are 100% down to Scott.

Last edited:
The rationale is extremely straightforward and basic concept. I'll break it down so you don't have to keep scribbling that crayon

That includes all games inc finals.

If only finals weren't more important with extra pressure. Scott would be just wonderful then.

If only finals weren't more important with extra pressure. Scott would be just wonderful then.

And if only Dimma had more wins against Scott than Scott does against Dimma..

You're using Dimmas performances against Leon Cameron and Pyke like some preacher uses a bible. We actually have statistics between Scott and Dimma. It's absolutely unhinged. You do realize we're directly comparing coaches?

He beat Scott in 2 mere finals after losing to him for a flat 7 years. We've lost to Carlton more than Dimma. Bunch of school kids and ya magical finals bus i tell ya what. Scotts beaten the guy himself first hand 8 times lol

Last edited:

You're using Dimmas performances against Leon Cameron and Pyke like some preacher uses a bible. We actually have statistics between Scott and Dimma. It's absolutely unhinged. You do realize we're directly comparing coaches?

He beat Scott in 2 mere finals after losing to him for a flat 7 years. We've lost to Carlton more than Dimma. Bunch of school kids and ya magical finals bus i tell ya what. Scotts beaten the guy himself first hand 8 times lol

Of those wins, how many of them are from when we have had a decent list? Scott has always had a finals team to work with, Dimma hasn’t.

Of those wins, how many of them are from when we have had a decent list? Scott has always had a finals team to work with, Dimma hasn’t.

Would be a almost none of them lol. It's been pretty balanced since 2017 with Richmond beating us twice in finals once during the season, and I think we won the other 3 or so games in the season. Dimma has arguably also built a list and Scott hasn't (however I think lists come together for reasons other than coach). Scott has one of the highest winning percentages in history has also has replaced 21 or so players from the list he inherited with no top picks.

Both pretty equal now I'd argue Scott is probably better coach but sabotages himself and gets mentally phased out in finals. Meaning Scott is only effectively better when he doesn't feel pressure.

Would be a almost none of them lol. It's been pretty balanced since 2017 with Richmond beating us twice in finals once during the season, and I think we won the other 3 or so games in the season. Dimma has arguably also built a list and Scott hasn't (however I think lists come together for reasons other than coach). Scott has one of the highest winning percentages in history has also has replaced 21 or so players from the list he inherited with no top picks.

Both pretty equal now I'd argue Scott is probably better coach but sabotages himself and gets mentally phased out in finals. Meaning Scott is only effectively better when he doesn't feel pressure.

lol sorry but no, Scott is not the better coach, he’s lucky to have that win percentage and you’re aware of the reasons why. He should have a couple more premierships to his name but because he isn’t good enough as a coach he doesn’t. Not better than dimma no way

Scott versus Hardwick: (The untold behind the scenes story)

2019:
Round 12- Win 104-37 MCG
Preliminary Final- Loss 66-85 MCG

2018:
Round 13- Loss 65-83 MCG
Round 20- Loss 82-85 MCG

2017:
Round 21- Win 80-66 GMHBA
Qualifying Final- Loss 40-91 MCG

2016:
Round 21- Win 82-78 MCG

2015:
Round 5- Win 85-76 MCG

2014:
Round 7- Win 81-76 MCG

2013:
Round 6- Win 131-87 MCG

2012:
Round 4- Win 75-65 GMHBA

2011:
Round 18- Win 113-51 Marvel

Conclusions:
Chris Scott is the master at GMHBA and Marvel.
Chris Scott has a five to four record at the MCG.
When Hardwick was king 2017, 2018 and 2019 he leads 4 Wins to 2 Losses.
If there is at final at the MCG, Chris Scott is all at sea.

Note: Wins and Losses may have nothing to do with Scott or Hardwick, it's all Caracella.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol sorry but no, Scott is not the better coach, he’s lucky to have that win percentage and you’re aware of the reasons why. He should have a couple more premierships to his name but because he isn’t good enough as a coach he doesn’t. Not better than dimma no way

I think if Martin went to GWS Dimma would've been sacked. Scott didn't need Danger, Kelly, Ablett to finish top 4

The rationale is an extremely straightforward and basic concept. I'll break it down so you don't have to keep scribbling that crayon

That includes all games including finals.

Afraid to type anymore as it seems to confuse you. This means Scott has beaten Dimma twice as much as Dimma has beaten Scott. Usually when someone beats the other more they're considered better.. Especially when it's by twice as much

So how exactly is Dimma the better coach? His record against Scott is considerably worse. Cuz he wun 2 flags off Pyke and Cameron lol? Nfi why you'd use that to compare Dimma to Scott when these coaches actually play off against eachother. Pretty crayonish approach tbh
Whenever we played Brisbane during their 3-peat reign we'd always win. Home or away.

Worsfold -------------------------------------> Matthews confirmed.

Those two games were the 2017 Qualifying Final which gives the winner a crucial week off, and the 2019 Preliminary Final which gives the winner a Grand Final berth (also ending the season of the opponent). Not sure how you could call either of those games 'mere finals'.

Oh yes, both times Geelong finished higher than Richmond on the ladder too.

To me Bomber Thompson and Dimma a very similar, both excellent coaches capable of developing lists good enough to win GF's, Chris Scott on the other hand couldn't develop a lsit good enough to win a GF if his life depended on it. Give me Dimma and Bomber any day over Scott.

You're pushing sh!t uphill mate, 90% of Cat supporters are wozzles and it's impossible arguing with wozzles.

So you are still using the metric of when dimma inherited a basket case and was building a list v when Scott inherited a dynasty and hasn’t had to build s**t?
The best metric is head to head when both teams are at their peak so let’s use finals.
Dimma 2 Scott 0
You are so far wrong and out of your depth here it’s laughable

Power premiership footy for 3 years lol....
What 3peat?
They have been easily the team to beat for 3 years. 2018 they were beaten. But undoubtedly, until finals, they were the best team.

not denying that and that wasn’t the argument if you read above I acknowledged that. My point was to a poster that stated the Scott was the best coach of the last decade “by a long way”
All we should agree on is that his winning % is the best .

There are several reasons for that, as there are several reasons for his finals record.
Same man, same team.
Everybody says Clarko is the #1 coach, but I'm pleased with CS's record against him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back