Coach Chris Scott - coach of the year?

Remove this Banner Ad

haha ask me again in 20 years when the premierships are etched in History and home and away wins don’t mean s**t.
You can NOT win this argument. There is nothing you can possibly put forward that shows Scott is way in front of Hardwick. Absolutely NOTHING. The only metrics that count Scott is behind

When I want to compare the coaches I use their record against one another in matches. Not some outside variable like matches against GWS and Adelaide

When I want to compare the coaches I use their record against one another in matches. Not some match against GWS and Adelaide lol

is that the same Adelaide that Scott couldn’t beat the week before or the GWS that couldn’t get a shot at because he lost to Hardwick?

Wow so Ross Lyon must be an all time great.

I use Premierships. You know what we all play for and what teams throughout history are judged by.

is that the same Adelaide that Scott couldn’t beat the week before or the GWS that couldn’t get a shot at because he lost to Hardwick?

Wow so Ross Lyon must be an all time great.

I use Premierships. You know what we all play for and what teams throughout history are judged by.

omg god dude give it a rest. Do you honestly think Melbourne would act like this if they won 2 flags in 3 years? Your club has canceled out it's 2 AFL spoons with 2 AFL flags and I found it all very underwhelming personally

omg god dude give it a rest. Do you honestly think Melbourne would act like this if they won 2 flags in 3 years? Your club has canceled out it's 2 AFL spoons with 2 AFL flags so congrats

haha nothing cancels out flags mate.
I think your the one who needs to give it a rest I’m just doing this for enjoyment now as I know it’s an argument I can’t lose. But keep celebrating your home and away. The stuff that counts starts in September. You know when sides are remembered in history

Dimma is well behind Scott and Adam Simpson. If Dusty went to GWS he'd still be the worst coach in the league. Your fanbase were calling for him to be sacked for years. He was almost sacked in 2015, the other coaches have never come close to performing near that bad.

Hardwick has coached his team to 2 premierships; Scott and Simpson have 1 each.

Hardwick right now is ahead. That's how the game works. And they're all behind Clarkson.

Last edited:
Hardwick has coached his team to 2 premierships; Scott and Simpson have 1 each.

Hardwich right now is ahead. That's how the game works. And they're all behind Clarkson.

What are we in primary school? He's ahead in flags lol that doesn't translate at all into him being a better coach. If this was a professional anaylsis I'm sure they'd throw every other comparable measure out the window and just say moar flags - betterer or my dads stronga than ur dad

What are we in primary school? He's ahead in flags lol that doesn't translate at all into him being a better coach. If this was a professional anaylsis I'm sure they'd throw every other comparable measure out the window and just say moar flags - betterer or my dads stronga than ur dad

hahahahaha so more premierships doesn’t equate to being a better coach. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

that is quite possibly the funniest and maybe the most idiotic thing I have read on big footy. At least today.

i can use the metric that Hardwick built his side from scratch to win 2 flags. Chris Scott inherited an unbelievable side in the midst of a dynasty. But that would be undervaluing Scott’s Premiership and they are so damn hard to win that wouldn’t be fair.
Mate you can NOT win this argument.

Agree, it's certainly not the only measurement, but it's the prime measurement. I would say final performance would be second, finals head to head third. Regular season isn't great data, too many variables - though it counts for something. I can't think of a stat that shows Chris Scott as a good coach though. He's always had the cattle yet hisd conversion has been generally shite in finals and premierships.

hahahahaha so more premierships doesn’t equate to being a better coach. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

that is quite possibly the funniest and maybe the most idiotic thing I have read on big footy. At least today.

i can use the metric that Hardwick built his side from scratch to win 2 flags. Chris Scott inherited an unbelievable side in the midst of a dynasty. But that would be undervaluing Scott’s Premiership and they are so damn hard to win that wouldn’t be fair.
Mate you can NOT win this argument.
A hypothetical for you: If Clarkson won the Premiership in 2013, 2014 and 2015 does that mean that all of
a sudden from 2016 onwards he suddenly lost his ability to coach or maybe just maybe it has something
to do with the players and that sweet spot that all premiership teams seem to hit.

Agree, it's certainly not the only measurement, but it's the prime measurement. I would say final performance would be second, finals head to head third. Regular season isn't great data, too many variables - though it counts for something. I can't think of a stat that shows Chris Scott as a good coach though. He's always had the cattle yet hisd conversion has been generally shite in finals and premierships.
Disagree.
The cattle has been culled every year since 2011, and the list is hampered by top 8 finishes every year, don't be sucked in by the elite top 6 we have.
Ottens, Ling, Milburn, Mooney and Corey were big, but predictable losses, after already having lost GAJ and Rooke.
And every season, we lost more premiership players.
It is impossible to replace that quality, and nobody expected him to do so, but his attempts to keep the list at least competitive, is admirable imo. Seems some others would prefer we just sink and rebuild. Not me. I don't enter a new season expecting a flag. I know our list has not been of that quality for some time, but it's nice to still be relevant and hated for being up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A hypothetical for you: If Clarkson won the Premiership in 2013, 2014 and 2015 does that mean that all of
a sudden from 2016 onwards he suddenly lost his ability to coach or maybe just maybe it has something
to do with the players and that sweet spot that all premiership teams seem to hit.

Not at all his runs are on the board. Once again another coach that built from scratch. He is a great and there is no doubt about that but if he can turn the list he has now into a flag he becomes an all time great if not the greatest. 5 flags across three decades through 2 rebuilds is unprecedented.
My point and the difference between Clarkson and Scott is I have no doubt in my mind Clarko would have won/would win a flag with this current Geelong group as he is a superior coach. Same with Hardwick.
Chris Scott home and away record is elite for a number of factors but his finals conversion is well below average. Players are judged on Finals performances so should Coaches. The bigger the final the greater the judgement.
Scott doesn’t deliver. Clarkson and now Hardwick have

Not at all his runs are on the board. Once again another coach that built from scratch. He is a great and there is no doubt about that but if he can turn the list he has now into a flag he becomes an all time great if not the greatest. 5 flags across three decades through 2 rebuilds is unprecedented.
My point and the difference between Clarkson and Scott is I have no doubt in my mind Clarko would have won/would win a flag with this current Geelong group as he is a superior coach. Same with Hardwick.
Chris Scott home and away record is elite for a number of factors but his finals conversion is well below average. Players are judged on Finals performances so should Coaches. The bigger the final the greater the judgement.
Scott has delivered. As many flags as Roos and Longmire and Simpson.
One More than Lyon.
It is fallacy to say that not winning flags = can't coach for starters, and moreover, he has one.

2018 was Richmond's best year, but due to injury and peaking before the finals you did not win the Premiership.
Did that have anything to do with Hardwick, no were you coached better in 2017 and 2019, no, but as you say
if they open the time capsule in twenty years time the Herald Sun posters are dated 2017 and 2019. Chris
Scott has had the double chance 6 times in his 9 seasons as coach for one premiership which is poor conversion
maybe he should design a method more suitable to the MCG like Richmond did.

Scott has delivered. As many flags as Roos and Longmire and Simpson.
One More than Lyon.
It is fallacy to say that not winning flags = can't coach for starters, and moreover, he has one.

not denying that and that wasn’t the argument if you read above I acknowledged that. My point was to a poster that stated the Scott was the best coach of the last decade “by a long way”

2018 was Richmond's best year, but due to injury and peaking before the finals you did not win the Premiership.
Did that have anything to do with Hardwick, no were you coached better in 2017 and 2019, no, but as you say
if they open the time capsule in twenty years time the Herald Sun posters are dated 2017 and 2019. Chris
Scott has had the double chance 6 times in his 9 seasons as coach for one premiership which is poor conversion
maybe he should design a method more suitable to the MCG like Richmond did.

ypu could argue it was as he he had the side peaking too early in 18. Lot of Bart Cummings horses didn’t have great results leading into a Melbourne cup but would win the Melbourne Cup because he had them peaking at the right time. That’s on the coach and the trainer

The line in bold is going to take some beating for comedy hit of the year.

It’s also fair to say that Hardwick has done a very good job of building his list on the back of a number of good draft picks. That list luxury isn’t something Scott has quite had. Scott has done a pretty good job of keeping this team relevant. Hardwick is a good coach, so is Scott-can’t understand the need to argue about it.

Last edited:
The line in bold is going to take some beating for comedy hit of the year.

That's like saying an XR8 is faster than an XR6 because it's a bigga engine. Scotts beat Dimma 8 times. Dimma has beat Scott for times. Dimma beating Leon Cameron in one game doesn't put him ahead of Scott as a coach

Have to disagree strongly with that statement too. Scott has not always had the cattle. We haven't had a quality ruckman since Ottens, and until now he hasn't had quality back up for Hawkins (big and small forwards). Over his 9 year tenure as coach Scott has lost 23 Premiership players. That's more than a team, and yet the club has managed to remain in contention

That's like saying an XR8 is faster than an XR6 because it's a bigga engine. Scotts beat Dimma 8 times. Dimma has beat Scott for times. Dimma beating Leon Cameron in one game doesn't put him ahead of Scott as a coach

So by that rationale, with Richmond winning more premierships than Geelong and having a far better head to head finals record, Richmond are superior in September correct?

I'm guessing Scott beating Malthouse in one game doesn't put him ahead of Malthouse then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back