Coach Chris Scott - coach of the year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree.
The cattle has been culled every year since 2011, and the list is hampered by top 8 finishes every year, don't be sucked in by the elite top 6 we have.
Ottens, Ling, Milburn, Mooney and Corey were big, but predictable losses, after already having lost GAJ and Rooke.
And every season, we lost more premiership players.
It is impossible to replace that quality, and nobody expected him to do so, but his attempts to keep the list at least competitive, is admirable imo. Seems some others would prefer we just sink and rebuild. Not me. I don't enter a new season expecting a flag. I know our list has not been of that quality for some time, but it's nice to still be relevant and hated for being up there.
Every club culls at the end of every year.

It is absolutely possible to replace that quality, it is far from impossible. That's one of the reasons Geelong have been so good for so long. Genuinely good drafting and recruitment.

As for the list, I don't see it as being inferior to many at all. Very good KPF, and a very promising KPF. Genuine mid depth, who would't want Duncan as a 3rd/4th stringer?

I think if anything this year the defence might start being tested KP wise. But your mid size defence is very strong.

I don't know exactly where I'd rate Scott, but I think two factors have held you back re your poor September conversion.

A reliance on GMHBA

Some questionable if not poor decision making by Scott. And your own supporters have highlighted enough what they were. (eg 1, Blicavs on a wing against us)

Very good coach. Would probably be better if he wasn't trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

Also obvious the players like him.

Scott v Hardwick. Hmm

Scott is a very good coach who has helped keep a team up for ages, after the stars of it's heyday have left/slowed down. GMHBA stadium is a huge factor in H&A games. Only finals against poorly drawing interstate teams are played there, so that factor drops off in finals. He is a very annoying person, so people like the trash talk him. But, Scott has been able to take a super team and keep it up for a very long time. That is extraordinarily impressive. He's had problems in finals. Some due to squad limitations, some game plan (designed for a uniquely shaped ground), and some for brain farts (Blicavs as mentioned) - and of course finals are hard to win.

Hardwick took over a basket case, and built a super team. Most of the drafting was during compromised drafts, where good picks became mediocre picks. But Dimma doesn't do the drafting, so he gets some credit for development but not for picking the players. Until 2016 Dimma was a very good coach, but definitely inferior to Scott. He has an epiphany when he absolutely failed in 2016. From 2017 on Dimma has outcoached all other AFL coaches.

So on their careers probably Scott ahead, because there are more years up to 2017 than after for comparison. Post 2016 Dimma by a mile = 2 premierships.

Scott v Hardwick. Hmm

Scott is a very good coach who has helped keep a team up for ages, after the stars of it's heyday have left/slowed down. GMHBA stadium is a huge factor in H&A games. Only finals against poorly drawing interstate teams are played there, so that factor drops off in finals. He is a very annoying person, so people like the trash talk him. But, Scott has been able to take a super team and keep it up for a very long time. That is extraordinarily impressive. He's had problems in finals. Some due to squad limitations, some game plan (designed for a uniquely shaped ground), and some for brain farts (Blicavs as mentioned) - and of course finals are hard to win.

Hardwick took over a basket case, and built a super team. Most of the drafting was during compromised drafts, where good picks became mediocre picks. But Dimma doesn't do the drafting, so he gets some credit for development but not for picking the players. Until 2016 Dimma was a very good coach, but definitely inferior to Scott. He has an epiphany when he absolutely failed in 2016. From 2017 on Dimma has outcoached all other AFL coaches.

So on their careers probably Scott ahead, because there are more years up to 2017 than after for comparison. Post 2016 Dimma by a mile = 2 premierships.
Dimma has definitely become a better coach than Scott
Day one scott was a better coach but Dimma has worked on his flaws and shown he wants to continually grow and evolve and learnt to delegate among his coaching staff

Scott however peaked early and is refusing to re invent himself and it shows

This threads not about Richmond,
I am sure it's not,
It's about a great man,
His name Chris Scott,
Calm in the box with his poker face,
Never an excuse will you hear,
When you add up all these traits,
Only one conclusion can you makes,
Shoe in for coach of the year.

Would be a almost none of them lol. It's been pretty balanced since 2017 with Richmond beating us twice in finals once during the season, and I think we won the other 3 or so games in the season. Dimma has arguably also built a list and Scott hasn't (however I think lists come together for reasons other than coach). Scott has one of the highest winning percentages in history has also has replaced 21 or so players from the list he inherited with no top picks.

Both pretty equal now I'd argue Scott is probably better coach but sabotages himself and gets mentally phased out in finals. Meaning Scott is only effectively better when he doesn't feel pressure.

Almost.

2017: Home and away - Geelong 1 Richmond 0, Finals - Richmond 1 Geelong 0
2018: Home and away - Richmond 2 Geelong 0, Finals - n/a
2019: Home and away - Geelong 1 Richmond 0, Finals - Richmond 1 Geelong 0

Overall 4-2 since the start of 2017.

And you blame that on the coach?
We were heavily depleted
, and again, played above ourselves to get that lead, as Tigers ere clearly down at the start.
When it came to the crunch, Tigers were able to do what they've done for 3 years, and that is play power premiership footy. They have the list, the fitness, the knowhow, and belief to do that. We are no longer in that realm to do that against the best.
It is NOT coaching. If it was, why were we up at half time?

I definitely blame not putting Blicavs on Lynch on the coach. Without question.

Were we that heavily depleted? We missed Hawkins and Duncan, but rarely is a team at full strength. West Coast the year before had 3 absolute guns missing but still went on to win the premiership.

I definitely blame not putting Blicavs on Lynch on the coach. Without question.

Were we that heavily depleted? We missed Hawkins and Duncan, but rarely is a team at full strength. West Coast the year before had 3 absolute guns missing but still went on to win the premiership.
Hawkins has been regarded by MOST as our most important player structurally, not our best, but pivotal to us functioning well, specially against the best team in the comp, and given our list is not THAT great.
Tigers can afford a similar player to Hawkins in Riewoldt to be out, as they have Lynch. We had nobody like that to support, although Sav has great potential.
Duncan was also important. Had he been in, Blic would not have been on the wing.
Your point about WCE is spot-on. They did very well, but were lucky Pies had to play that extra final.

Hawkins has been regarded by MOST as our most important player structurally, not our best, but pivotal to us functioning well, specially against the best team in the comp, and given our list is not THAT great.
Tigers can afford a similar player to Hawkins in Riewoldt to be out, as they have Lynch. We had nobody like that to support, although Sav has great potential.
Duncan was also important. Had he been in, Blic would not have been on the wing.
Your point about WCE is spot-on. They did very well, but were lucky Pies had to play that extra final.
Mate, we had massive injuries at the start of the year, and had to adjust to having Rance out.

No slight on Hawkins, he gets a rough run around here from some, but I think he's a fine player. I would consider Rance a bigger out though.

With the outs you had, I think your compatriot is right, it was an error not to play Blicavs down back. I don't think it can be explained away, it was just a mistake.

Mate, we had massive injuries at the start of the year, and had to adjust to having Rance out.

No slight on Hawkins, he gets a rough run around here from some, but I think he's a fine player. I would consider Rance a bigger out though.

With the outs you had, I think your compatriot is right, it was an error not to play Blicavs down back. I don't think it can be explained away, it was just a mistake.
Could well be.
Interesting we started so well then, which has previously been the criticism of Scott, or one of the many.
If you saw how we got to the Prelim, (beating WCE) Hawkins was critical. No way would we have been there without him.
We did not have the luxury of having time to adjust.
Quite simply, we are not as good as Richmond, and we need everything going right, for 4 quarters, to have a chance of an upset. Having Blicavs away from Lynch certainly did not help as it transpired.
But you had cover for Rance, we have no cover for Hawkins

Not really. Grimes, Astbury et al stepped up in Rance's absence. We had no one to replace Hawkins, at least no one of his ilk who can take contested marks and create havoc up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. Grimes, Astbury et al stepped up in Rance's absence. We had no one to replace Hawkins, at least no one of his ilk who can take contested marks and create havoc up forward.
I reckon Esava did a great job.

And he looks a real problem for opposing teams going forward.

Since the year 2012 (Period when Hawkins became an established player), Geelong's record without him is 9-3.

Also, regarding that West Coast Semi Final, keep in mind 24 hours before the bounce of the ball, a drugs saga hit West Coast and they lost Rioli. It's hard to say if they win if none of that occurred but I'm pretty sure they are a lot more focused and switched on to start the game so Geelong caught a lucky break of their own that night.

He's a lot more physical and courageous in the air than what Hawkins ever was.
A legitimate pack crunching power forward. Something Geelong has been crying out for since James Podsiadly's heyday.
Don't forget Josh Jenkins he could be anything once they sprinkle the Chris Scott magic dust of quality all over
him and polish him up a little.

Scott versus Hardwick: (The untold behind the scenes story)

2019:
Round 12- Win 104-37 MCG
Preliminary Final- Loss 66-85 MCG

2018:
Round 13- Loss 65-83 MCG
Round 20- Loss 82-85 MCG

2017:
Round 21- Win 80-66 GMHBA
Qualifying Final- Loss 40-91 MCG

2016:
Round 21- Win 82-78 MCG

2015:
Round 5- Win 85-76 MCG

2014:
Round 7- Win 81-76 MCG

2013:
Round 6- Win 131-87 MCG

2012:
Round 4- Win 75-65 GMHBA

2011:
Round 18- Win 113-51 Marvel

Conclusions:
Chris Scott is the master at GMHBA and Marvel.
Chris Scott has a five to four record at the MCG.
When Hardwick was king 2017, 2018 and 2019 he leads 4 Wins to 2 Losses.
If there is at final at the MCG, Chris Scott is all at sea.

Note: Wins and Losses may have nothing to do with Scott or Hardwick, it's all Caracella.
Of course those Geelong losses have been against the best team in the comp for the last three years and playing them on their home ground. How does everyone else’s record look against them?
Scott‘s team gave it a pretty good shake in the finals last year- looked more likely to knock the tigers off than anyone else. Not too shabby, especially for a team half of you didn’t even have making the 8 at the start of the year!
And of course, he wasn’t coach of the year but he’s doing ok.

Of course those Geelong losses have been against the best team in the comp for the last three years and playing them on their home ground. How does everyone else’s record look against them?
Scott‘s team gave it a pretty good shake in the finals last year- looked more likely to knock the tigers off than anyone else. Not too shabby, especially for a team half of you didn’t even have making the 8 at the start of the year!
And of course, he wasn’t coach of the year but he’s doing ok.
Chris Scott has had the double chance 6 x times in his 9 x year coaching tenure which is an amazing thing,
but to only convert one of them will always attract some negative comments. Since the year 2000 the
Tigers have played at GMHBA x 8 times for 1 x Win and 7 x Losses and at Marvel Stadium 6 x times for
1 x Win and 5 x Losses. The Tigers only Win at GMHBA came in 2006 as well when the Cats did not play
finals. This thread is about Chris Scott and he does have an awesome record pity he does not have the
ability to use a Brad Ottens in the ruck, not that Grand Final Sprint Winner Rhys Stanley is not awesome.

Don't forget Josh Jenkins he could be anything once they sprinkle the Chris Scott magic dust of quality all over
him and polish him up a little.

Nah. Jenkins' best footy is behind him.
Too slow and too soft to do anything more than 35 goals for the year. Would have much preferred Chris Scott smashed 15 games into Nat Kreuger instead. At least there's upside in doing the latter.

Chris Scott has had the double chance 6 x times in his 9 x year coaching tenure which is an amazing thing,
but to only convert one of them will always attract some negative comments. Since the year 2000 the
Tigers have played at GMHBA x 8 times for 1 x Win and 7 x Losses and at Marvel Stadium 6 x times for
1 x Win and 5 x Losses. The Tigers only Win at GMHBA came in 2006 as well when the Cats did not play
finals. This thread is about Chris Scott and he does have an awesome record pity he does not have the
ability to use a Brad Ottens in the ruck, not that Grand Final Sprint Winner Rhys Stanley is not awesome.
Yep agreed his record in finals which isn’t good enough and we have lost finals we should have won, and underperformed in others, however we have done a bit of overachieving and were we the best team in the comp in any of those years?

After his coaching performance last September surely there is no one less deserving
The Tom Hawkins brain fade he could not control plus key injuries to Mitch Duncan and the young up and comer
Jordan Clark. Plus when he was coach the team brought in Tim Kelly and Tom Stewart two players that make
you think where have they been hiding, I know he was not responsible for this directly, but he was there at the
very least. Geelong faded late which had to be expected given the age of their list, their methodology has to be
questioned focus on conceding and control, but Clarkson values similar attributes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back