Coach Chris Scott - coach of the year?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
It goes back way further than the current coach. Tom Hafey - with Ablett and Jackson. Blight could barely manage Ablett's over exuberance on the field. Then there was Mooney under Bomber. Wasn't he suspended multiple times in one season?

Yes, in 2006.

But in 2007 things actually changed. There was only one suspension for the entire season, and even that was very, very unlucky (Ricciuto slid into Rooke's hip in Adelaide - who was standing still - and somehow Rooke was to blame). That was the difference. Those players actually did learn to not do stupid things.

Yes, in 2006.

But in 2007 things actually changed. There was only one suspension for the entire season, and even that was very, very unlucky (Ricciuto slid into Rooke's hip in Adelaide - who was standing still - and somehow Rooke was to blame). That was the difference. Those players actually did learn to not do stupid things.

got to be one of my biggest pet peeves are players who continue to do that kind of s**t without learning from it

im not even pointing at that towards Geelong nothing more frustrating than a key player having a “brain fade” for no real reason

The fact Hawkins did it in a final just made it so much worse

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This goes right back to Scarlett in 2012 when he smacked Ballantyne, to Steve Johnson's silly indiscretions in 2013, to Bartel, Kelly, and Selwood as well. Yet to see any evidence that they have changed anything.
It goes back way further than the current coach. Tom Hafey - with Ablett and Jackson. Blight could barely manage Ablett's over exuberance on the field. Then there was Mooney under Bomber. Wasn't he suspended multiple times in one season?

Chapman in 2013 before the prelim 😁

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah.. he is such a genius scarlett

He’s arguably the most important player in our greatest ever era and if you read his book you’ll understand that while he’s less than tactful his intelligence isn’t something to question.

But hey everyone else in here seems to invisibly sneak into the dressing room more than the players so I’ll take their word over the players

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He’s arguably the most important player in our greatest ever era and if you read his book you’ll understand that while he’s less than tactful his intelligence isn’t something to question.

But hey everyone else in here seems to invisibly sneak into the dressing room more than the players so I’ll take their word over the players

I have read his book-whether or not he is an important player or not isn't relevant to his judgement. He was also a big bomber fan-how did that character assessment go for him?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I have read his book-whether or not he is an important player or not isn't relevant to his judgement. He was also a big bomber fan-how did that character assessment go for him?

Who said anything about character?

Does the Jock McHale medal only get presented after someone’s criminal history check has come back clean and someone forgot to tell me?

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Who said anything about character?

Does the Jock McHale medal only get presented after someone’s criminal history check has come back clean and someone forgot to tell me?

We are talking about hus judgement which hasnt proven too flash.
You fall at his feet because he was a good player..

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
We are talking about hus judgement which hasnt proven too flash.
You fall at his feet because he was a good player..

I bow to his judgement because he’s shared a dressing room with Chris Scott the coach, thrived under him, and been in a position to interpret the influence he had on that success.

Unlike the plethora of tiprats on this forum who seem to think they know better than the people actually involved

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I bow to his judgement because he’s shared a dressing room with Chris Scott the coach, thrived under him, and been in a position to interpret the influence he had on that success.

Unlike the plethora of tiprats on this forum who seem to think they know better than the people actually involved

I form my own view and not rely on a guy who backed bomber thompson's character

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
I can't think of a stat that shows Chris Scott as a good coach though.
I can see where you’re coming from, but I think 8 out of 9 years in finals & a premiership gives you the right to be called a “good” coach. You won’t get me arguing that he is much more than that though, but since his appointment there have been FAR worse coaches that have been given the top job. Eg Watters, Leppa, Pyke & of course Hird.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Unneccesary.

They know who they are

Agree, it's certainly not the only measurement, but it's the prime measurement. I would say final performance would be second, finals head to head third. Regular season isn't great data, too many variables - though it counts for something. I can't think of a stat that shows Chris Scott as a good coach though. He's always had the cattle yet hisd conversion has been generally shite in finals and premierships.
That is a ridiculous statement, a bit akin to 'what comes first, the egg or the chicken?' I recognise AFL is all about winning premierships (and currently only 6 of the 18 coaches have enjoyed premiership success as a coach), but you don't get to play finals if you don't do well in the H&A

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
I can see where you’re coming from, but I think 8 out of 9 years in finals & a premiership gives you the right to be called a “good” coach. You won’t get me arguing that he is much more than that though, but since his appointment there have been FAR worse coaches that have been given the top job. Eg Watters, Leppa, Pyke & of course Hird.

That's a fair call.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure about that...the modern coach who succeeds -character matters. Good footballer doesn;t make anyone a good judge

I don’t know him personally but Clarkson is a bit of a dick and he’s succeeded.
Ken Hinkley by all reports is a lovely bloke and good man. Hopeless coach based on the available evidence.

And if character matters to modern coaching success, why did Thompson have such success.

Your argument makes no sense

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Chris Scott takes Geelong to the finals this year then that is a decade of dominance, maybe this thread
can be morphed into Chris Scott - coach of the decade ? I think at the very least he deserves a parade
down the main street of Geelong stopping randomly at the various Cameron Ling owned licensed venues.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If Chris Scott takes Geelong to the finals this year then that is a decade of dominance, maybe this thread
can be morphed into Chris Scott - coach of the decade ? I think at the very least he deserves a parade
down the main street of Geelong stopping randomly at the various Cameron Ling owned licensed venues.

If he wins another flag I think he goes past Thompson. It’s a big if, but it’s one thing for a coach to admittedly turn our fortunes around in a few years but with a lot of all time greats. It would be another thing for a coach to keep us thereabouts for 10 seasons as those players disappear

Back