Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Scotty 6: Bigger Home and Away Legend than Alf Stewart. But FFS don't let him run the Diner.
Scotty Pt6 - Runs longer than Neighbours.

GO Catters

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Quality coach and we're damn lucky to have him at the helm. If we didn't kick 3.6 in the 2nd quarter against the Tigers in the Prelim, he'd likely be a two time premiership coach and the silence from the haters would be deafening. We should of been 7-8 goals up at half time, that's game over. Many easy shots at goal were missed in that 2nd term and we kept the Tigers in the game and paid the price. I suppose some will blame Scott for those missed goals.

I remember Hardwick saying in his presser that we blew their structures apart and did many things which surprised them and caused them many headaches. The difference in the game was the Tigers executed and converted in front of goal when they had the momentum and game on their terms, something we failed to do in the first half.

How he has continued to deliver us top two/4 finishes with the unhealthy reliance on Dangerwood and average ruck division I'll never know.

Anyway, he could still yet be a two-time premiership coach at the end of this season. Then the haters will say it wasn't a real season due to COVID, and it will never count. He can't win.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I think if anyone wants a reference to how difficult it is to coach a side Chris Scott inherited they only need to look at what has happened to hawthorn since their flags despite picking up plenty of “mature” recruits.
You simply can’t go out and buy replacements for champions of your club retiring. When the decline starts it usually hits quite hard and your time down the bottom of the ladder is prolonged. See essendon Brisbane for examples.

what we have done is freakish and defies odds of the equality system in place.

that isn’t the work of an average coach

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Quality coach and we're damn lucky to have him at the helm. If we didn't kick 3.6 in the 2nd quarter against the Tigers in the Prelim, he'd likely be a two time premiership coach and the silence from the haters would be deafening. We should of been 7-8 goals up at half time, that's game over. Many easy shots at goal were missed in that 2nd term and we kept the Tigers in the game and paid the price. I suppose some will blame Scott for those missed goals.

I remember Hardwick saying in his presser that we blew their structures apart and did many things which surprised them and caused them many headaches. The difference in the game was the Tigers executed and converted in front of goal when they had the momentum and game on their terms, something we failed to do in the first half.

How he has continued to deliver us top two/4 finishes with the unhealthy reliance on Dangerwood and average ruck division I'll never know.

Anyway, he could still yet be a two-time premiership coach at the end of this season. Then the haters will say it wasn't a real season due to COVID, and it will never count. He can't win.

we won recently two games in a row by 60 points against top four sides and inside the Chris Scott coaching thread there are discussions going back about matches from 2013.

just outright trolls who shouldn’t Be taken seriously.

what’s the point of discussing football with people who don’t want to celebrate wins??

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Back to the coaching side of things...
I wonder if the influence/information from Grigg has had some effect on how we play. Definitely more pressure around the ball.
The 'keepings off stuff' seems a bit like something Scott might have instigated and that, ironically, is the type of strategy that may come unstuck in a finals type game.

won hawthorn 3 flags in a row. Depends on if you have the players that can execute it or not

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
we won recently two games in a row by 60 points against top four sides and inside the Chris Scott coaching thread there are discussions going back about matches from 2013.

just outright trolls who shouldn’t Be taken seriously.

what’s the point of discussing football with people who don’t want to celebrate wins??

You're very right. I think some have forgotten to enjoy the ride, celebrate the wins and embrace the hope of a new year. Even when we lost those GF's from '89 to '95, as disappointing as it was, how exciting was the journey to get there, the build up to big games, to finals etc. It sure as hell is better than being a supporter of the same teams languishing near the bottom of the ladder year after year with very little hope.

I have seen three flags and will be forever grateful for that. Although it has been disappointing to not get another since 2011, the journey has been great and there has been so many good and exciting times the last few years. Premierships are so hard to win, GF's are really hard to make, but we just keep on giving ourselves the best opportunity to get to a big dance. That's admirable how the club continues to push for the ultimate year after year.

I don't buy into the what many on here believe about the coaches and players being satisfied with just making finals, just making prelims etc. Every year they're trying to get into a GF, we clearly target players from other clubs with a view to them being the difference between making a prelim and making a GF.

Chris Scott has received a lot of criticism re our game plan this year. The game plan might not be pretty or exciting at times, but this style maximises our strengths and minimises or weaknesses. It's giving us the best chance to succeed with the cattle he has at his disposal. At least he is continuing to try different things in an attempt for us to take the next step. That's what a good coach does.

We're as good a chance as anyone this year, we really are. If we fall short again, yes it'll be disappointing, but no one can question our commitment to taking that next step and making a GF and winning it.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

I also recalled this from his press conference. Basically stating the reason we were ahead was because of how well Chris Scott coached and threw them off their game plan. Sounds like his brilliance almost pinched a prelim final single handedly

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I also recalled this from his press conference. Basically stating the reason we were ahead was because of how well Chris Scott coached and threw them off their game plan. Sounds like his brilliance almost pinched a prelim final single handedly

Yep, those comments from a premiership coach (two time premiership coach a week later) really stood out to me. That was a massive compliment to Chris Scott, particularly the part where he referenced we did some things that they didn't see coming which he said caused them some issues. It clearly did cause them some issues as we took them apart in that second term, we just failed to punish them on the scoreboard. I remember saying to my wife that this could come back to bite us, and that's exactly what happened.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Yep, those comments from a premiership coach (two time premiership coach a week later) really stood out to me. That was a massive compliment to Chris Scott, particularly the part where he referenced we did some things that they didn't see coming which he said caused them some issues. It clearly did cause them some issues as we took them apart in that second term, we just failed to punish them on the scoreboard. I remember saying to my wife that this could come back to bite us, and that's exactly what happened.

I agree entirely.

coached brilliantly in the prelim final as hardwick clearly said. How our supporters apparently know more about the coaching standards of the game than hardwick himself is just a laughable thing I have basically heard on here.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
his critics are a small minority of ugly pessimistic geelong fans. As the club has already put it themselves.

No-one is immune to criticism, and not all who make criticism of CS are 'ugly' or 'pessimistic'.

Like every single one of us, he has good attributes, and some not so good.

Except Hawk supporters. And Richmond supporters. Can't say much good about them 😆

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Back to the coaching side of things...
I wonder if the influence/information from Grigg has had some effect on how we play. Definitely more pressure around the ball.
The 'keepings off stuff' seems a bit like something Scott might have instigated and that, ironically, is the type of strategy that may come unstuck in a finals type game.

I’m not convinced we are playing keepings off exactly. Feels though we’re playing highly contested football which has its pros and cons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
No-one is immune to criticism, and not all who make criticism of CS are 'ugly' or 'pessimistic'.

Like every single one of us, he has good attributes, and some not so good.

Except Hawk supporters. And Richmond supporters. Can't say much good about them 😆

we all have good and bad, I can’t think of a coach who hasn’t or a person alive as a matter of fact who doesn’t meet your description.

more the point is.. when you win to the point you hold the greatest win loss ratio of any coach in the history of the game and you have been coaching ten years including a premiership... there isn’t overly much criticism to be made.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
L
I’m not convinced we are playing keepings off exactly. Feels though we’re playing highly contested football which has its pros and cons
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
One thing I have noticed is that our ‘switch‘ kicking (or ‘keepings off’ ;) ) is a lot less predictable for the opposition to curb than previous years where we were more likely to go sideways or big down the line which was easier to stifle.
15 meter rule and umpires call on this is becoming a bigger factor though.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
we all have good and bad, I can’t think of a coach who hasn’t or a person alive as a matter of fact who doesn’t meet your description.

more the point is.. when you win to the point you hold the greatest win loss ratio of any coach in the history of the game and you have been coaching ten years including a premiership... there isn’t overly much criticism to be made.

Other than his finals record, no.

Which brings the debate full circle, and hence why we have 50k posts on the topic!

I'm one who has been critical at times, but must admit that Scott has been good for the GFC. That said, I think he needs a second premiership to cement his legacy as a coach.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
L

One thing I have noticed is that our ‘switch‘ kicking (or ‘keepings off’ ;) ) is a lot less predictable for the opposition to curb than previous years where we were more likely to go sideways or big down the line and easier to stifle.
15 meter rule and umpires call on this is becoming a bigger factor though.

I can't quite put my finger on it, or vocalise it properly, but it seems like they suddenly 'know' what they're doing, how to do it, and have the confidence to execute it.

They look far more confident than I've seen for a while.

King Cat

Debutant
Jul 30, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So Chris Scott is contracted till the end of 22. This makes him our coach for 12 years. Very long in AFL terms.

He has been very good for us. Make no mistake about. Yep he’s had critics and at times I’ve been one of them. But his record is outstanding and we are lucky to have him.

But my question is if we give him about her contract. Let say for arguments sake we do it early and it’s through to 2025. That would be a fair deal considering what he has done. Maybe a bit long. That would make him our coach for 15 years. Is that too long? Is till the end of 2022 at 12 years enough?

Don’t get me wrong he’s a great coach for us. But when do we make the call that we need to change. It’s a great question. Hawthorn are in a simular position. At some stage we need a different coach. But when that is is the question.

And also for Chris Scott. As a career coach does he say I’ve done all I can here. I need a new challenge or environment. Or not coach at all. Do the players need a fresh voice. Plenty will say that when bomber left a new voice was a good thing.

I’m very happy with him but at some point a hard decision will have to be made. Hopefully after he is a 2 time premiership coach.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
So Chris Scott is contracted till the end of 22. This makes him our coach for 12 years. Very long in AFL terms.

He has been very good for us. Make no mistake about. Yep he’s had critics and at times I’ve been one of them. But his record is outstanding and we are lucky to have him.

But my question is if we give him about her contract. Let say for arguments sake we do it early and it’s through to 2025. That would be a fair deal considering what he has done. Maybe a bit long. That would make him our coach for 15 years. Is that too long? Is till the end of 2022 at 12 years enough?

Don’t get me wrong he’s a great coach for us. But when do we make the call that we need to change. It’s a great question. Hawthorn are in a simular position. At some stage we need a different coach. But when that is is the question.

And also for Chris Scott. As a career coach does he say I’ve done all I can here. I need a new challenge or environment. Or not coach at all. Do the players need a fresh voice. Plenty will say that when bomber left a new voice was a good thing.

I’m very happy with him but at some point a hard decision will have to be made. Hopefully after he is a 2 time premiership coach.
Yes I wonder if he will pull the pin on himself. ( hopefully with some more silverware!)
Surely wouldn’t want hang around for a rebuild. Let’s face it, despite having a few youngsters and picks in the offing there will inevitably be a few years of toil as our older cohort of players finish up. I doubt whether he would be up for that.
Glib tongue and media savvy will get him a nice cushy post coaching gig somewhere I would expect.

Back