Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I wonder if he will pull the pin on himself. ( hopefully with some more silverware!)
Surely wouldn’t want hang around for a rebuild. Let’s face it, despite having a few youngsters and picks in the offing there will inevitably be a few years of toil as our older cohort of players finish up. I doubt whether he would be up for that.
Glib tongue and media savvy will get him a nice cushy post coaching gig somewhere I would expect.

He hasn’t had to rebuild for the 10 years he’s been here. Proven to be a master along with the help of wells at maintaining a good list and always contending without having to bottom out. How lucky are we for that. But there will come a time one day.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Other than his finals record, no.

Which brings the debate full circle, and hence why we have 50k posts on the topic!

I'm one who has been critical at times, but must admit that Scott has been good for the GFC. That said, I think he needs a second premiership to cement his legacy as a coach.

premiership coaches dont need two premierships to get a “pass” mark... he is already a premiership coach. So his finals record is fine.

if he wins a second flag his our greatest coach of all time period, not some weird dillusional pas mark of two flags.

premiership coaches dont need two premierships to get a “pass” mark... he is already a premiership coach. So his finals record is fine.

if he wins a second flag his our greatest coach of all time period, not some weird dillusional pas mark of two flags.
His finals records is fine?
His finals record is crap. Much worse than other coaches on his level of experience.

It is pointless even trying to debate you about it though, because you are so blinded by your love of chris scott. He is like a god to you, and can do no wrong. And anyone who doesn’t agree is wrong.

You are on the extreme other side to someone like biggy. Both extreme views, and both as worthless.

Are you chris scotts wife or mother by any chance?

He hasn’t had to rebuild for the 10 years he’s been here. Proven to be a master along with the help of wells at maintaining a good list and always contending without having to bottom out. How lucky are we for that. But there will come a time one day.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How many players are left from 2011??

Because if you look at the numbers they would paint a picture of a rebuild on the run.

You've misunderstood.

I never said 2 premierships were a magical pass mark.

I'm saying that a second premiership would a) counter the accusations that he 'inherited' a premiership b) give him a premiership no-one could deny, and c) overcome an ordinary finals record in the history books.

I can't quite put my finger on it, or vocalise it properly, but it seems like they suddenly 'know' what they're doing, how to do it, and have the confidence to execute it.

They look far more confident than I've seen for a while.
I think a big factor is that if Blitz is not in the backline we have a griup of defenders who as a rule are better, more penetrating kicks. Thus when we make the switch then outlet kick we can move the ball quicker and use the space better.

Opposition teams would always try and cover Stewart and Tuohy and not allow them to be the guy who takes the outlet kick. They would leave Blitz (and to a lesser extent Kolo) free and get the ball in their hands. Teams also used to do this with Lonegan when he was on the team. The development of O'Connor's kicking has been a huge benefit, and Bews seems to be more aggressive with his kicking this year also. Duncan, Guthrie and Menegola have also been rolling back further and getting involved earlier in transition which has helped a lot in how well we can transition from defence.

TL;DR - we have better ball users coming out of defence this year, so we have been far more effective attacking via transition from defence

You've misunderstood.
I'm saying that a second premiership would a) counter the accusations that he 'inherited' a premiership b) give him a premiership no-one could deny, and c) overcome an ordinary finals record in the history books.
Agree. That is the drawback of our game. So much emphasis on those final few outings. If it was EPL he'd be a certified legend by now..

It's fitting that such a good coach should have so many in-depth threads dedicated to him.

Long may be reign :cool:

His finals record is crap. Much worse than other coaches on his level of experience.

It is pointless even trying to debate you about it though, because you are so blinded by your love of chris scott. He is like a god to you, and can do no wrong. And anyone who doesn’t agree is wrong.

You are on the extreme other side to someone like biggy. Both extreme views, and both as worthless.

when you coach a premiership, I would say your finals record is alright yes.

cant be bothered replying to the rest of your emotional sulking rant.

Thats very debatable. Hickey would be hard to beat id have thought

You've misunderstood.

those points are all from the point of views of trolls You just listed. Not credible intelligent people

it’s debatable I’m sure as we have had some great coaches. His longevity, sustained success, incredible win loss record, and two premierships would surely put him first. Ahead of Thompson

If you believe it places him ahead of a 4 time premiership player/coach that was in charge as long as what Hickey was then ...good luck to you.
Thompson & Hickey would be ahead of him in my eyes. My own personal enjoyment , I enjoyed Blights week to week games far more but I couldnt place him ahead of someone who won Premierships. Finals and flags count

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

those points are all from the point of views of trolls You just listed. Not credible intelligent people

But there are also others who think along at least one of those pov's, if not all three.

There are all sorts of opinions on CS, and all sorts of shades in between them. All I'm saying is that he could do worse than win a second premiership to silence some of the negativity about him.

That said he's on a hiding to nothing with some..... He wins the premiership this year and some will scoff and say he won a 'Bomber' premiership and the 'Covid Cup'.

when you coach a premiership, I would say your finals record is alright yes.

cant be bothered replying to the rest of your emotional sulking rant.

That was nearly 10 years ago. Been an utter finals failure since then. But no point trying to debate you, cause you are too blinded and in love with scott to get anything other than arse kissing and excuses.

In saying that, i think if he wins it this year, he will go from a good coach to a great coach.

If you believe it places him ahead of a 4 time prmierhsip coach that was in charge as long as what Hickey was then ...good luck to you.
Thompson & Hickey would be ahead of him in my eyes. My own personal enjoyment , I enjoyed Blights week to week games far more but I couldnt place him ahead of someone who won Premierships. Finals and flags count

didn’t realize hickey won 4 I always thought 2. Agreed then, it would be hickey 1 then.

For mine I still would have Scott ahead of Thompson if he wins two as he won two with a lot less talent at his disposal and had a better win loss record. Thompson also lost some premierships he should have won such as 08 and 10 and cost us a once in a generation feature to win 3-4 flags in a row which that team, which he didn’t because malthouse and Ross Lyon outcoached him a fair bit.

But there are also others who think along at least one of those pov's, if not all three.

There are all sorts of opinions on CS, and all sorts of shades in between them. All I'm saying is that he could do worse than win a second premiership to silence some of the negativity about him.

That said he's on a hiding to nothing with some..... He wins the premiership this year and some will scoff and say he won a 'Bomber' premiership and the 'Covid Cup'.

you will find the majority of them are trolls who are big footy posters none the less but point taken.

anyone who claims a coach who inherited an old team that lost the games best player and got belted to the tune of 81 points 10 minutes into a third quarter of a prelim then back it’s up the next year with a flag “inherited” a premiership team is a troll simply flat out. Nothing about that inheritance is a premiership team.

when you delve into their arguments it gets even more bizzare and stupid and is something along these lines.. so you tell me if these are people who are trolls or legitimate. I think the stupidity speaks for itself.

. apparently the 2010 team was a premiership ready group, despite losing to both grand finalists in the finals and finding themselves 81 points down early in a third quarter of a prelim.
. losing Gary ablett made us a better team and at the least it wasn’t significant.
. the players came up with a game plan and coached themselves to a premiership, Scott just watched.
. Anyone with a notepad could have done same

You tell me if these people are trolls or “legitimate”.

you will find the majority of them are trolls who are big footy posters none the less but point taken.

anyone who claims a coach who inherited an old team that lost the games best player and got belted to the tune of 81 points 10 minutes into a third quarter of a prelim then back it’s up the next year with a flag “inherited” a premiership team is a troll simply flat out. Nothing about that inheritance is a premiership team.

when you delve into their arguments it gets even more bizzare and stupid and is something along these lines.. so you tell me if these are people who are trolls or legitimate. I think the stupidity speaks for itself.

. apparently the 2010 team was a premiership ready group, despite losing to both grand finalists in the finals and finding themselves 81 points down early in a third quarter of a prelim.
. losing Gary ablett made us a better team and at the least it wasn’t significant.
. the players came up with a game plan and coached themselves to a premiership, Scott just watched.
. Anyone with a notepad could have done same

You tell me if these people are trolls or “legitimate”.
Ummmm didn't you just say that Bomber cost us the flag in 2010?
So he did inherit a premiership team?
Or were you just trolling?

didn’t realize hickey won 4 I always thought 2. Agreed then, it would be hickey 1 then.

For mine I still would have Scott ahead of Thompson if he wins two as he won two with a lot less talent at his disposal and had a better win loss record. Thompson also lost some premierships he should have won such as 08 and 10 and cost us a once in a generation feature to win 3-4 flags in a row which that team, which he didn’t because malthouse and Ross Lyon outcoached him a fair bit.
Did you ever go for the club before Chris Scott turned up?
Just a lot of your theories and knowledge of the club don't add up.

Other current coaches as experienced or close to it as Scott:
Worsfold - 1 flag in 383 games
Clarkson - 4 flags in 363 games
Hardwick - 2 flags in 244 games
Longmire - 1 flag in 230 games
Scott - 1 flag in 228 games
Buckley - 0 flags in 200 games
Ken Hinkley - 0 flags in 172 games
Leon Cameron - 0 flags in 155 games
Adam Simpson - 1 flag in 154 games

Seeing as Flags are the only measure that mean anything whatsoever I'd say he's done pretty well compared to the other 'experienced' current coaches. Even Hardwick has only been around a season longer than Scott and has 1 extra flag and if Scott was to win this year well that would make the rest of his finals record fairly moot, wouldn't it?

Why does everyone have to think that someone merely making a common sense, numerically based argument in defence of someone, translates to some sort of irrational love of the man?

Im really not try to blue about it.. but there is a reason why Hickey has his name on the stand.. 3 (not 4) as a coach ... 1 as player ... Id be very happy if CS could find a way to become better. Now I think one might argue different era and time etc. ... and be very happy if CS could add two more to match that

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 5.38.18 pm.png

Seeing as Flags are the only measure that mean anything whatsoever I'd say he's done pretty well compared to the other 'experienced' current coaches. Even Hardwick has only been around a season longer than Scott and has 1 extra flag and if Scott was to win this year well that would make the rest of his finals record fairly moot, wouldn't it?

Why does everyone have to think that someone merely making a common sense, numerically based argument in defence of someone, translates to some sort of irrational love of the man?
It absolutely would. Kevin Sheedy, Parkin, and other long term coaches won flags years apart. And you don't care about finals records.
You just remember them as top coaches who won flags over multiple eras.
Same will happen with Scott.
Very good chance he'll get one now or in a couple of years. Media thinks we've got a good chance of getting Cameron.
Scott won one in his first year with an established team.
That is always going to skew people's opinions and raise doubts.
Especially after 10 years.
I know you don't like it. But it does. And it isn't just a tiny minority of Geelong supporters it's how most people think.
Not trying to fight, but it's just the way it goes.
Also to say the main protaginist on here does not have an irrational love for the guy and an irrational hate for the previous coach? well you must be fairly new in here.

Last edited:

Nothing he says is rational. It’s basically i’m in love with the guy, and anyone who says a single thing against him is simply wrong, and a troll.

Amazing that, considering he is basically a troll at the opposite end of the spectrum. But has the nerve to call his opposites trolls. There is simply no middle ground with either side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back