Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
For the offseason, I think the Chris Scott thread should only be about the beard

it should be shut down period. Why should it still be around after this. The trolls have had their swamp drained

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
LOL WTF - his quote was very clear my friend. Think what you want - I've called it correct. I have nothing against Scott - I just wanted him to adjust our tactics to suit finals because the team is not capable of defensive/passive football as shown by our constant finals failures. We play best when we take the game on and play aggressive. It's very simple - we also play the Gabba very well so as I said multiple times this is our best chance of going all the way. It really depends on if we can keep the ball off the ground against the Richmond rats. I personally think getting out of Geelong and getting high levels of vitamin D has been great for the coaches and playing group. It was likely the catalyst for us taking the next step and accepting a game style that suits us best. Some teams went to sh*t - ours went to another level. I've never seen Scott so sun-tanned either - its done wonders for his coaching and looks.

let’s not get dilusional here. We have been one of the highest scoring teams all year so don’t make out all of a sudden it changed finals time, it was that game plan all season. Yet you still told us all year how he wasn’t capable of taking the team further than a prelim. Our defensive structures were amazing and denied Brisbane any ball movement. We played an elite defensive game it wasn’t just attack.

your call has been scotts Game plan can’t handle finals pressure and he isn’t up to the job. He is up to the job and proved you entirely wrong.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
but Seeds has told us all year how we will play blicavs on the wing and it will destroy our finals hopes. Lol
Actually this year I have acknowledged that he has improved in this position. I don't think he adds a lot there but he ain't the negative he was previously. He actually ain't spending a lot of time there. He is probably 40 percent ruck, 20 per cent defence, 5 per cent foward and 25 pre cent wing at the moment.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
you said Scott couldn’t coach us to another grand final and his game plans will come unstuck in finals pressure. His game plan has gotten us into a grand final. Couldn’t be more wrong with your call on scotts ability to coach us into finals.

yes Scott changed the way we play this year, it’s called being a good coach and adapting his style. Something you claimed he wasn’t good enough to do and got wrong.

let’s be clear you never said if Scott changed this he will coach us to a grand final. You said he isn’t up to it and can’t take us there.

big serve of humble pie here. Please go visit the i was wrong thread seeds.
His game plan did come unstuck. So he has altered it. Still has elements of the old but now with more elements of what we have been asking for years. You are in denial if you think the last two weeks has been the same game plan Scott has persisted with for the past couple of years. We looked a little more like geelong 2011 with all the fast handballs foward in the centre. Players also now encouraged to break lines. Who the he'll knew that Simpson had a shimmy.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
His game plan did come unstuck. So he has altered it. Still has elements of the old but now with more elements of what we have been asking for years. You are in denial if you think the last two weeks has been the same game plan Scott has persisted with for the past couple of years. We looked a little more like geelong 2011 with all the fast handballs foward in the centre. Players also now encouraged to break lines. Who the he'll knew that Simpson had a shimmy.

Every coach alters a game plan. Nobody ever questioned if Scott can alter a game plan everyone alters game plans, every coach does. The criticism was Chris Scott can’t come up with a game plan that will withstand finals pressure. Which he definitely has this season. All the calls you made about scotts ability and competence as a coach have been proven wrong.

so you now admit his a great coach??

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
It's very simple.
You crash and bash and you target players in our side who shy away form the physicality. It happens every single final we play.
That first week, whoever it is we play, they will know this.
We can only hope we face a similar side who don't like the rough stuff.

Bahahahahahaha!! Sure couldn’t handle all the rough physical finals stuff!!

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry mate, but I think you're the one in denial.

There's one thing to have a game plan, there's a whole other thing to have it executed how we'd like.

You're assuming that the Cats have 100% accurately executed Scott's ideal gameplan every single week, which I don't believe to be the case.

The GWS game we came out red hot with our attacking side of the gameplan, but it left us way too vulnerable defensively and we got way too many cheap goals kicked out the back. Then after the resumption, we played a bit more defensively, like the melbourne game where we were praised for our control of the ball, but the fear was that we couldn't score enough. The team had over-reacted to the GWS game, and had gone from over attacking to over defensive.

Since the trip to WA, our team structure has become a lot more balanced and settled, and we've found a much better middle ground where we know we can control the ball defensively, but also know when it's time to go and move the ball quickly forward to get I50 one on ones.

The gameplan is both of those structures, the defensive keepings off which keeps their defensive zone outside of our F50 and the quick handballs forward to get the ball over their zone so we can get one on ones in the F50. We have been working on perfecting both aspects individually and collectively since 2019, and the reason we've peaked so nicely is because we finally got them to work in harmony.

Scott didn't just say, ok boys let's just handball it out of D50 whenever we get the chance. He worked with the players and assistant coaches to tinker the triggers for when we go fast or hold onto the ball, so that we're not too offensive and get scored easily against, and not too defensive and not score enough ourselves to win the game.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
This season I've been bullish about our chances (once hub life started) of going all the way and so far I'm correct, but again let's remember we haven't won * all yet. I will say I think we would have a different result if the season was normal but that we will never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry mate, but I think you're the one in denial.

There's one thing to have a game plan, there's a whole other thing to have it executed how we'd like.

You're assuming that the Cats have 100% accurately executed Scott's ideal gameplan every single week, which I don't believe to be the case.

The GWS game we came out red hot with our attacking side of the gameplan, but it left us way too vulnerable defensively and we got way too many cheap goals kicked out the back. Then after the resumption, we played a bit more defensively, like the melbourne game where we were praised for our control of the ball, but the fear was that we couldn't score enough. The team had over-reacted to the GWS game, and had gone from over attacking to over defensive.

Since the trip to WA, our team structure has become a lot more balanced and settled, and we've found a much better middle ground where we know we can control the ball defensively, but also know when it's time to go and move the ball quickly forward to get I50 one on ones.

The gameplan is both of those structures, the defensive keepings off which keeps their defensive zone outside of our F50 and the quick handballs forward to get the ball over their zone so we can get one on ones in the F50. We have been working on perfecting both aspects individually and collectively since 2019, and the reason we've peaked so nicely is because we finally got them to work in harmony.

Scott didn't just say, ok boys let's just handball it out of D50 whenever we get the chance. He worked with the players and assistant coaches to tinker the triggers for when we go fast or hold onto the ball, so that we're not too offensive and get scored easily against, and not too defensive and not score enough ourselves to win the game.
Your assumption about my assumption is utterly wrong. ive posted many times over the past couple of years that scotts game plan gets undone in finals because its extremely difficult to implement in finals when pressure is elevated both physically and mentally. if it was executed properly then ofcourse it would succeed. But its almost impossible to execute properly in finals. Thats my point. the best way to relieve pressure is to get the ball out of your defense and into your foward line as quickly as possible and make your opponents feel the pressure. Control football does not do it. It can briefly momentarily slow the play down but it doesnt switch the pressure from you to your opponents. chaos football is always more successful in finals then home and away because of the elevated pressure that exists.

anyone who thinks we didnt change our approach in the first half of the pies game needs to go watch again. Geelong players from the very start were punching the ball and handballing it blindly foward when under pressure. They havent dont this for years. When under pressure we have always looked backwards for the handball or kick to the spare guy behind the play. There was much less of this in the first half of the pies game and all of the brisbane game. On top of that players are clearly trying to break lines more by shimmying past players. Is it a complete switch in strategy? Well no. But its now much more balanced. Which is what we have been crying out for.

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol I've never seen geelongcrazy so excited, we better win the premiership or he will look even more stupid.. 9 years of reading his dribble that always got proven to be BS... This season I've been bullish about our chances (once hub life started) of going all the way and so far I'm correct, but again let's remember we haven't won fu** all yet. I will say I think we would have a different result if the season was normal but that we will never know.

A bit of what you have said this year.

A leopard doesn't change its spots my friends.. only some are capable of rewiring their habits and biases. Chris Scott is not one of these people, he will keep banging his head against the wall rather than step back and walk around it.
Finals time choke time.. right on cue.. terrible coaching, defensive, lack of composure. Typical Scott/team performance in a final, nothing has changed.
Scotts ego and stubbornness is the reason we struggle so much in finals. He overcoaches and ends up outcoaching himself. This leads to slow defensive football that our players are not capable of implementing. His job is to know the teams limitations, the fact is the team folds and panics when...

Look at you hedge your bets both ways, you get to claim Scott is a s**t coach if we don't win the GF and even if we win you leave it open that the year has an * next to it because of covid. You have already shifted the goal posts, you have said in the past it depends how we go in finals, well here we are, we haven't shat the bed, we achieved what you thought Scott wasn't capable of.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong

Look at you hedge your bets both ways, you get to claim Scott is a sh*t coach if we don't win the GF and even if we win you leave it open that the year has an * next to it because of covid. You have already shifted the goal posts, you have said in the past it depends how we go in finals, well here we are, we haven't shat the bed, we achieved what you thought Scott wasn't capable of.
You must not be able to read, I have been more positive about our chances this year than any other year before (once hub started). I was having to convince half of you downers why we would smash Brisbane lol.. you just can't accept that I was correct in my assessment. Do you want me to go pull up all the negative posts in here from all you guys trying to tell me why Brisbane would beat us and experience meant nothing?

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
What a pathetic double down, you have no way of being wrong do you, if we lose it's on Scott and if we win it's because Scott finally does what you claim to have been asking for....
You see you seem to have taken the Blicavs comment and turned it into Scott instructing the players to play passive after half time in last years prelim but that's not what Blicavs was saying, he was saying that Scott wanted to empathize that they still need to take the game on and not play passive like they did in last years prelim after half time. There is a difference, Scott was addressing how his players responded to being up at half time last year, not something he instructed.

It's funny because it's quite clear he is one of the most respected coaches in the industry and yet nuffies on here have done nothing but slam him.
Your point and what actually is very obvious to any reasonable person. The only ones who try and twist this situation into some sort of “I was right, even when I was wrong” situation are the nuffies. They are pariahs on this board, no one takes them seriously and we all know that their opinions count for naught.

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
You must not be able to read, I have been more positive about our chances this year than any other year before (once hub started). I was having to convince half of you downers why we would smash Brisbane lol.. you just can't accept that I was correct in my assessment. Do you want me to go pull up all the negative posts in here from all you guys trying to tell me why Brisbane would beat us and experience meant nothing?
Your idea of being positive is always to hedge your bets, this is you being positive about our prospect of the Brisbane game
Anyway we should put Brisbane to bed by 20+ points if we kick straight and Scott doesn't butcher our tactics.

It's basically saying that if we win it's the team but if we lose it's Scott, like no matter what you cover yourself every time in case we do actually win.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

Look at you hedge your bets both ways, you get to claim Scott is a sh*t coach if we don't win the GF and even if we win you leave it open that the year has an * next to it because of covid. You have already shifted the goal posts, you have said in the past it depends how we go in finals, well here we are, we haven't shat the bed, we achieved what you thought Scott wasn't capable of.
Not a Geelong Supporter at all. He’s a leper and the best thing that could happen is for every poster to group ignore him. He can enjoy his echo chamber until he realises that no-one cares.

Your assumption about my assumption is utterly wrong. ive posted many times over the past couple of years that scotts game plan gets undone in finals because its extremely difficult to implement in finals when pressure is elevated both physically and mentally. if it was executed properly then ofcourse it would succeed. But its almost impossible to execute properly in finals. Thats my point. the best way to relieve pressure is to get the ball out of your defense and into your foward line as quickly as possible and make your opponents feel the pressure. Control football does not do it. It can briefly momentarily slow the play down but it doesnt switch the pressure from you to your opponents. chaos football is always more successful in finals then home and away because of the elevated pressure that exists.

anyone who thinks we didnt change our approach in the first half of the pies game needs to go watch again. Geelong players from the very start were punching the ball and handballing it blindly foward when under pressure. They havent dont this for years. When under pressure we have always looked backwards for the handball or kick to the spare guy behind the play. There was much less of this in the first half of the pies game and all of the brisbane game. On top of that players are clearly trying to break lines more by shimmying past players. Is it a complete switch in strategy? Well no. But its now much more balanced. Which is what we have been crying out for.
08D8093E-1CD0-4842-A44A-64729E6F658A.gif

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

what a bizzare rant.

so let me get this correct. You have told everyone for years Chris Scott doesn’t have the ability as a coach to coach well in finals because his game plan can’t handle heat. Now he has made a grand final convincingly by big margins, your saying it is “ not his gameplan?” But “ seeds blueprint gameplan that Scott stole from you off the forum??”.

coaches change game plans every season and multiple times during a season as well, it’s called coaching. Of cause we don’t have the same game plan for ten years.

bottom line is you said Scott didn’t have the capability, and he clearly does have the capability and the coaching nous to go all the way to the big dance in finals, this will be his second grand final appearance in ten years of coaching.

Your in denial about all your stuff ups. There are actually some embarrassingly poor posts we can dig out from over the years

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
let’s not get dilusional here. We have been one of the highest scoring teams all year so don’t make out all of a sudden it changed finals time, it was that game plan all season. Yet you still told us all year how he wasn’t capable of taking the team further than a prelim. Our defensive structures were amazing and denied Brisbane any ball movement. We played an elite defensive game it wasn’t just attack.

your call has been scotts Game plan can’t handle finals pressure and he isn’t up to the job. He is up to the job and proved you entirely wrong.
geelong_crazy26 - "Scott is the best coach because he has 70+% win percentage"

Why did he consistently bomb out in finals for 8 years?
geelong_crazy26 - "Oh its because our team isn't good enough - they are good enough to smash teams off the park in H&A and have the best win record of teams ever but in finals the team suddenly gets bad. But Scott is still the best coach and its nothing to do with his coaching approach - its just a random that we happen to have one of the worst finals records going around over an 8 year period given our ladder position."

So basically when we win games you call him the best coach ever but when we were getting our asses handed to us in finals for 8 years its the players fault and the team is actually not good enough lol...

Suddenly this year the team is now good enough (Has nothing to do with Scott changing tactics because he has been the best coach ever for 8 years apparently). And Blicavs must be lying out his teeth when he directly said that Scott instructed the group to play more attacking football after half time compared to the Richmond game last year. Yep clearly you know more than Blicavs. At least you are aware you're crazy lol...

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
what a bizzare rant.

so let me get this correct. You have told everyone for years Chris Scott doesn’t have the ability as a coach to coach well in finals because his game plan can’t handle heat. Now he has made a grand final convincingly by big margins, your saying it is “ not his gameplan?” But “ seeds blueprint gameplan that Scott stole from you off the forum??”.

coaches change game plans every season and multiple times during a season as well, it’s called coaching. Of cause we don’t have the same game plan for ten years.

bottom line is you said Scott didn’t have the capability, and he clearly does have the capability and the coaching nous to go all the way to the big dance in finals, this will be his second grand final appearance in ten years of coaching.

Your in denial about all your stuff ups. There are actually some embarrassingly poor posts we can dig out from over the years
Ive never been anti chris scotts capabilities. Ive been anti his choice of game plan, choice of structure, selection of certain players (lets not go there on the players point this week) and perceived stubborness/concerns of moral hazard. My opinion on the latter point has slightly lessened somewhat in the past two weeks. My opinion on the right game plan has only been futher confirmed. Thankfully scott might finally be seeing some of the light on that one.

Last edited:
Back