Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

We have Fort on the list who was serviceable earlier in the year. Could have been playing him the last few weeks. Sav in the ruck is complete nonsense. He's non-competitive and got smashed against Sydney. Playing him is a man down, and we're not much better taking Blicavs from the backline to fill the role. That's a man-management role. At the very least get Fort in during the last few games to see if he can do it. Then, if Stanley does not get up (likely), you know whether that's an option or not and you're not making rubbish last-minute calls based little evidence of effectiveness (like putting Henderson forward or playing Blicavs on a wing or dropping Stanley) for an all-important final. Scott's problem is that he waits way too long to attempt to fix structural issues in the side, but then attempts to amend them with some ass-pull "I'm more clever than everyone" positional change for finals.
Scott's problem is that Stanley is a physical liability, and that all others who replace him are inferior.

Our first quarter against Essendon was considered by some non-Geelong supporters to be the best any team has played this season.

Was Essendon that bad or were we that good (or a combination of both).

Why couldn't we replicate it against Richmond? Obviously they are a much better team, but that doesn't seem like enough of a reason for such a sharp decline in our performance.

You could also say that all teams this year have had bad games, and perhaps this was ours. But it continued against Sydney, who no-one considers as good a team as Richmond, even if they have improved late in the season.

So are we flat-track bullies? A team that are world-beaters mid-season but when the whips are cracking fall to pieces?

I'm not sure if there's an answer to these questions, and the finals will obviously tell the story this season. But they're interesting questions nonetheless.

Maybe we are just the best this year. I don't see that against the really concerning teams like Pies, Tigers and WCE, but we took care of Lions and Port. Only Port has the more stable list and will be much stronger than last time, having just come off a tough win v Tigers back then.
Fair enough. Might be bias but I think we're way better than Port. Hope so.
I'm not a "Richmond are crap" guy but they did really surprise me by how well they beat us.
I think differently to you on the wishy washy players and ruck thing. All teams have those types and poor rucks are winning premierships.
For me the thing that is our greatest strength is our greatest weakness.
Our rock solid defence ain't rock solid under lights with the big loud crowd.
They are unbelievably poor.
Particulary in the first quarters. Has happened time and time again and they get no scrutiny.

Rubbish- it's a personnel issue and you know it. We need fit versions of Stanley, Rohan, Selwood, GAJ, Steven and the rest. When all are available, we are near impossible to beat. Unlike other teams, we don't have great backup.
We have been ok injury wise this year. Not many long termers. Only short term stuff. And we go into finals with pretty much a full list. Stanley is the only concern, and i think he is fine. Played in match sim during the week. Great pic in the addy yesterday of him pulling down a big pack mark.

Which gives me confidence he will be fine to play. If he is doing that.

Yep we are stuck with him. There is no money to pay him out.
I am wondering if he might walk if we fail comprehensively again.
Seeing his brother forging another career, waning senior players, media possibilities ? Could just step aside to give someone else a crack rather than flog the horse around for an extra year or two.

And beyond, hopefully. His record is very impressive. There would be a queue for his services if he was to choose to move on.

Unfortunately some here overrate our player list. Including the current one.

This is a key point here IMO. Unfortunately, in years gone by, the unhealthy reliance on 'Dangerwood' has been a massive issue in finals. This year, I actually think we're much better placed given a more even contribution, particularly in the midfield with the emergence of Guthrie and Menegola, Duncan remaining fit and healthy and Blitz being used to good effect.

I think Scott is a very good coach. No doubting he has made mistakes as all coaches have. The decision to drop Stanley for the Pies QF last year was an absolute howler, and to Scott's credit, he has admitted it was an error. But looking at last years semi and prelim finals, his coaching was extremely good. If not for some terrible misses in front of goal in that first half vs the Tigers, we could of been 7-8 goals in front at the main break. That's game over and I think it's fair to say given GWS' efforts in the GF, there is every chance Scott is a two time premiership coach a week later.

I remember Hardwick in his post match presser saying we did some things which caught the Tigers off guard and really surprised them. Hardwick admitted they had to drastically change things up at half time. Thats a massive compliment to Scott given no Hawkins, Duncan or Rohan played in that game. Scott CANNOT be held accountable for players missing easy shot on goal in that second quarter when we were all over them and the Tigers were rattled. We kept the Tigers in that game, and we paid the price. A bit like when the Saints kept us in the '09 GF, we made them pay dearly and that's what champion sides too.

I actually think we will make the GF this year, but I think all things being equal, we're probably the second best team in it. For mine, Richmond are still the best team in it and I think they're going to be very, very hard to stop them winning their 3rd flag in four years. That's dynasty stuff. If not for a freak Pies and Mason Cox performance in the 2018 prelim, Tigers are looking at four in a row. Unheard of. IMO, people don't want to admit the Tigers are a champion / dynasty team because they were a basket case for decades, our bunnies, their supporters are insufferable, or people don't like their ugly game style.

Don't get me wrong, we can beat them on the day, but we need everything to go right and probably need the Tigers to be a little off on the day IMO. History shows that can and does happen, and there is every chance the second best team in it can win the premiership.

If Geelong bomb out of finals .......... Scott is finished.
You may love the bloke, like so many do on this site, but he's done and dusted and will leave as a very good head coach who took the club to another premiership (albeit with Thompson's list he built from the ground up)
The years after, were a failure. Geelong hierarchy handed him ready-made players, we sold the farm to ensure another premiership was delivered and if all they can muster is another 1-2 record in finals, or worse, 0-2, it does not matter what excuses are made, he's not the guy to take this list any further.

Time for Scarlett or Lenny Hayes or someone who has nearly completed their coaching apprenticeship.
Every time I watch Ling on the GFC podcast I think he's just born to coach the team. I'm not a fan of him as a commentator, but I think he's be a truly inspiring club leader.

Seeing his brother forging another career, waning senior players, media possibilities ? Could just step aside to give someone else a crack rather than flog the horse around for an extra year or two.
Surely it would have to get to a point, where he says i have taken this team as far as it can go?

What is the point of continually flogging a dead horse? With the age of our list, the well will soon run dry. It won’t need a norf like ground up rebuild, but it will need some fresh blood brought in. That is why we should use all our draft picks, and stop going after old guys like higgins.

Surely it would have to get to a point, where he says i have taken this team as far as it can go?

What is the point of continually flogging a dead horse? With the age of our list, the well will soon run dry. It won’t need a norf like ground up rebuild, but it will need some fresh blood brought in. That is why we should use all our draft picks, and stop going after old guys like higgins.
Why should we concern ourselves with that right now?
I get there is a vacuum this week with the bye, but we are yet to play finals, and he has 2 years to go.
Are you convinced we are out of contention, and looking for something to look forward to?
Having CS there is what gives me hope.
If he wants out, let it be.At this stage of proceedings, it is insulting to bring it up.

This is a key point here IMO. Unfortunately, in years gone by, the unhealthy reliance on 'Dangerwood' has been a massive issue in finals. This year, I actually think we're much better placed given a more even contribution, particularly in the midfield with the emergence of Guthrie and Menegola, Duncan remaining fit and healthy and Blitz being used to good effect.

I think Scott is a very good coach. No doubting he has made mistakes as all coaches have. The decision to drop Stanley for the Pies QF last year was an absolute howler, and to Scott's credit, he has admitted it was an error. But looking at last years semi and prelim finals, his coaching was extremely good. If not for some terrible misses in front of goal in that first half vs the Tigers, we could of been 7-8 goals in front at the main break. That's game over and I think it's fair to say given GWS' efforts in the GF, there is every chance Scott is a two time premiership coach a week later.

I remember Hardwick in his post match presser saying we did some things which caught the Tigers off guard and really surprised them. Hardwick admitted they had to drastically change things up at half time. Thats a massive compliment to Scott given no Hawkins, Duncan or Rohan played in that game. Scott CANNOT be held accountable for players missing easy shot on goal in that second quarter when we were all over them and the Tigers were rattled. We kept the Tigers in that game, and we paid the price. A bit like when the Saints kept us in the '09 GF, we made them pay dearly and that's what champion sides too.

I actually think we will make the GF this year, but I think all things being equal, we're probably the second best team in it. For mine, Richmond are still the best team in it and I think they're going to be very, very hard to stop them winning their 3rd flag in four years. That's dynasty stuff. If not for a freak Pies and Mason Cox performance in the 2018 prelim, Tigers are looking at four in a row. Unheard of. IMO, people don't want to admit the Tigers are a champion / dynasty team because they were a basket case for decades, our bunnies, their supporters are insufferable, or people don't like their ugly game style.

Don't get me wrong, we can beat them on the day, but we need everything to go right and probably need the Tigers to be a little off on the day IMO. History shows that can and does happen, and there is every chance the second best team in it can win the premiership.

The Dangerwood thing is probably more to my mind a reliance on individual outputs. Have we brought in more talent than other competitors? Hard to judge but we have come a long way from having a side that was 100% drafted... and already we are linked to more talent.. so next year we will add Crouch or someone. It seems we tends to try to cover our issues by recruiting ...

This thread seem to revolves around the assessment of our list ..has CS done well with what we are, with what he has at his disposal ..or has he failed to get the most out of them at key times..

My bet before 2017 ..most would have though Rich was lacking in talent too. Before 2007 several thought our list lacked enough top tier talent.

The Dangerwood thing is probably more to my mind a reliance on individual outputs. Have we brought in more talent than other competitors? Hard to judge but we have come a long way from having a side that was 100% drafted... and already we are linked to more talent.. so next year we will add Crouch or someone. It seems we tends to try to cover our issues by recruiting ...

This thread seem to revolves around the assessment of our list ..has CS done well with what we are, with what he has at his disposal ..or has he failed to get the most out of them at key times..

My bet before 2017 ..most would have though Rich was lacking in talent too. Before 2007 several thought our list lacked enough top tier talent.

Everyone sees it differently. I'm in the camp that CS has got a lot more out of this group than I expected. IMO, this playing list the last few years has had far too much reliance on Danger, Sel, Hawk etc - too much left for to few - and that gets exposed in finals. How many games has this team won the last few years on the back of individual efforts of Danger and Selwood, too many to remember, and it's just not healthy nor a recipe for the ultimate success. This list over the years has been unbalanced with age demographic at times, as well as any real quality depth to it. This list has not had a quality ruckman since Ottens retired after the '11 flag.

The other thing is drafting. Through our competitiveness and regular top 4 finishes, we have been denied access to top 5/10 picks. Not to mention we have had several first round picks not amount to anything. That hurts, not immediately, but it does catch up with you in the long run. Brown, Thurlow, Lang, Smedts, Cocktatoo etc. Fogarty, an early second round pick, three years in and its safe to say the jury is out there, he's 50/50 at best to make it. Then there was Caddy, whom we traded a high pick for, one of the Ablett compo ones from memory, and he just never went on to become the high quality midfielder we thought he might be. Another first round pick down the drain. Wells has done really well with some golden mature aged selections, but its fair to say he's had a few busts with first round selections, many of these considered a "reach" at the time of drafting.

Looking back on the last few finals series, 2013 cuts deep. We were a kick off the GF that year (led Hawks by 20 at the last change) as we had a list worthy of premiership success that year. Again, not having a decent ruck that year killed us, and IMO it was a big reason why we didn't win the flag that year. Then as I previously posted, in last years PF when we were all over Richmond and had all the running and momentum, we failed to kick straight and missed easy shots on goal. The game was there for the taking. I doubt we lose that if we were 7-8 goals in front at half time like we should have been - all the while missing Duncan, Rohan and the undisciplined Hawkins, who got off far too easy for yet another undisciplined act. None of that is Scott's fault. The other years of finals failures, I just don't think we were good enough, and our ladder position was not reflective of where we were really at.

Everyone sees it differently. I'm in the camp that CS has got a lot more out of this group than I expected. IMO, this playing list the last few years has had far too much reliance on Danger, Sel, Hawk etc - too much left for to few - and that gets exposed in finals. How many games has this team won the last few years on the back of individual efforts of Danger and Selwood, too many to remember, and it's just not healthy nor a recipe for the ultimate success. This list over the years has been unbalanced with age demographic at times, as well as any real quality depth to it. This list has not had a quality ruckman since Ottens retired after the '11 flag.

The other thing is drafting. Through our competitiveness and regular top 4 finishes, we have been denied access to top 5/10 picks. Not to mention we have had several first round picks not amount to anything. That hurts, not immediately, but it does catch up with you in the long run. Brown, Thurlow, Lang, Smedts, Cocktatoo etc. Fogarty, an early second round pick, three years in and its safe to say the jury is out there, he's 50/50 at best to make it. Then there was Caddy, whom we traded a high pick for, one of the Ablett compo ones from memory, and he just never went on to become the high quality midfielder we thought he might be. Another first round pick down the drain. Wells has done really well with some golden mature aged selections, but its fair to say he's had a few busts with first round selections, many of these considered a "reach" at the time of drafting.

Looking back on the last few finals series, 2013 cuts deep. We were a kick off the GF that year (led Hawks by 20 at the last change) as we had a list worthy of premiership success that year. Again, not having a decent ruck that year killed us, and IMO it was a big reason why we didn't win the flag that year. Then as I previously posted, in last years PF when we were all over Richmond and had all the running and momentum, we failed to kick straight and missed easy shots on goal. The game was there for the taking. I doubt we lose that if we were 7-8 goals in front at half time like we should have been - all the while missing Duncan, Rohan and the undisciplined Hawkins, who got off far too easy for yet another undisciplined act. None of that is Scott's fault. The other years of finals failures, I just don't think we were good enough, and our ladder position was not reflective of where we were really at.

I agree with a lot of this but I guess i attribute it slightly differently. To some coaching is making the most of what you have , it takes very little to rely on best players. The strutcure of the side is setup to make the most of the champs ..a coach can look brilliant when the star does his thing. Was CS at his best putting Danger to FF last week..or was it another example of relying on the gun to win? .. but you can make a case both ways.

On Hawkins... he can frustraite , but if we had won the the first final, he would not have been in the situation of feeling like he had to make something happen..

To me the reason why this overall discussion is into stage whatever is its so split into how one assesses the side

Whats wrong with our list compared to everyone else's? It's like everyone thinks we need to have the 2007 team to make a Grand Final.
Our worst 2 midfielders just made the AA squad and one made the team.

Brownless and Kennerley making the AA squad is the timeline I wish we lived in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brownless and Kennerley making the AA squad is the timeline I wish we lived in.
For sure. The 80's would of been cool. Coke and Glam bands
Yeah Billy probably made one, Kerry Anne was probably preety hot in her day so I guess she deserved a guernsey?

If Geelong bomb out of finals .......... Scott is finished.
You may love the bloke, like so many do on this site, but he's done and dusted and will leave as a very good head coach who took the club to another premiership (albeit with Thompson's list he built from the ground up)
The years after, were a failure. Geelong hierarchy handed him ready-made players, we sold the farm to ensure another premiership was delivered and if all they can muster is another 1-2 record in finals, or worse, 0-2, it does not matter what excuses are made, he's not the guy to take this list any further.

Time for Scarlett or Lenny Hayes or someone who has nearly completed their coaching apprenticeship.
Just saying it doesn’t make it true. With you, it’s like a toddler having a tantrum sometimes.

We all know that he’s one of the most highly respected coaches in the league. He’d be snapped up in an instant by quite a few other teams.

He’s well liked by the players and the hierarchy at the club. And judging by the Facebook posts, supporters too.

Adding to this - he is contracted for two more years. It would be financially idiotic to do something so dumb.

It’s not even brought as a consideration by the media.

It’s literally a select minority of angry pitchfork carrying ‘supporters’ who even dream this scenario up.

We’d be the laughing stock of the league. Fire a coach who gets us into finals. What a f*cking high bar to set and a ridiculous assertion.

Just saying it doesn’t make it true. With you, it’s like a toddler having a tantrum sometimes.

We all know that he’s one of the most highly respected coaches in the league. He’d be snapped up in an instant by quite a few other teams.

He’s well liked by the players and the hierarchy at the club. And judging by the Facebook posts, supporters too.

Adding to this - he is contracted for two more years. It would be financially idiotic to do something so dumb.

It’s literally a select minority of angry pitchfork carrying ‘supporters’ who even dream this scenario up.

We’d be the laughing stock of the league. Fire a coach who gets us into finals. What a f*cking high bar to set and a ridiculous assertion.

Yep, St Kilda supporters are rapt they‘ve made the finals for the first time in nine years. Melb supporters devastated they missed.

It’s all relative.

We are a finals laughing stock.

Surely it has to change this year. We simply have to turn it around this year.

We are a finals laughing stock.

Surely it has to change this year. We simply have to turn it around this year.
The only ones laughing will be those opposition supporters who can't tolerate us having any more success.

2004, 2005 and 2010 were the ones that came to mind. Had a good team but didn't make the GF when the team could've. No different to Scott in 2013, 2016 and 2019.

In hindsight 2010 is probably underrated as a missed opportunity. Everyone was more accepting about it than 2008 since media narrative at the time was that the dynasty was coming to an end. But given how unbelievably dominant pretty much the exact same list (minus the best player in the comp) was the following season, there's no doubt personnel wasn't the problem that year. Our playing list was still the best in the competition. We should have done better.

Our first quarter against Essendon was considered by some non-Geelong supporters to be the best any team has played this season.

Was Essendon that bad or were we that good (or a combination of both).

Why couldn't we replicate it against Richmond?
Obviously they are a much better team, but that doesn't seem like enough of a reason for such a sharp decline in our performance.

You could also say that all teams this year have had bad games, and perhaps this was ours. But it continued against Sydney, who no-one considers as good a team as Richmond, even if they have improved late in the season.

So are we flat-track bullies? A team that are world-beaters mid-season but when the whips are cracking fall to pieces?

I'm not sure if there's an answer to these questions, and the finals will obviously tell the story this season. But they're interesting questions nonetheless.
Essendon's pressure was the worst I've seen all year and we were good enough to take advantage of it.

Richmond's pressure wasn't elite but it didn't need to be because their setups are so good and we reverted back to our s**t-style play for 95% of the game.

IMO we're still a mentally fragile team and i just pray that it changes starting Thursday against Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back