Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Which older players were dropped due to poor form, and replaced with a youngster? I can’t think of any. Debuts usually come due to injuries, resting, suspensions, or to replace another fringe player.

I can remember moons and dasher being dropped, and never to return, for fresh blood. Can’t think of another time since.

So a 35 yr old will have the same speed, strength and reflexes as a 23 yr old?

depends on plenty of factors, including injury history that needs to come into consideration such as ligament and tendon recovery and if they fully recovered, bad muscle fiber tears and the gradients etc, as just another thing to keep in mind.

there are examples of players playing better into their 30’s even. Sam mitchel was an AA premiership midfielder at the ripe old age of 33, Tom Hawkins played his career best season at the age of 33 and moved like a stallion, if it was some decline of reflexes that was the reason than we would never see these instances. I’m not saying it doesn’t occur because reflexes do slow with age, but it isn’t the reason a 27 year old is elite and a 29 year old drops off in form. A professional athlete isn’t going to experience something like that in two years.

I think I’m waffling and getting off track as it’s quite a detailed chat to actually look into all the factors, not a quick big footy post

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The moral of the story seems to be get hit like Neale on Rohan, and don't retaliate, and then cop trash talk from the opposition without serving anything back. Head in the clouds type stuff from AFL house, it's as if they don't want anyone to actually care or get passionate about the sport anymore. Stuff them, I like what Scott did.

kittypurry

Senior List
Oct 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Scott needs to get his lawyer to respond. My client has no recollection of the incident....and please read up on defamation laws....
Absolutely.

The AFL and the media have apparently decided Geelong are target number one. Geelong and Chris Scott need to get lawyers involved to put an end to it now before it escalates.

By the way, I don't know why the AFL think they can lecture anyone on setting a good example to kids given they are letting a man charged with sexual assault play. Don't even get me started on how fine they are with Wayne Carey. Or Ross Lyon. Or how fine they were with Milne. Also, where is the outrage over our former cat Menzel from the AFL?

Yeah. The AFL don't care about being role models. Geelong needs to stop being so accomodating and start sticking up for themselves.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Absolutely.

The AFL and the media have apparently decided Geelong are target number one. Geelong and Chris Scott need to get lawyers involved to put an end to it now before it escalates.

By the way, I don't know why the AFL think they can lecture anyone on setting a good example to kids given they are letting a man charged with sexual assault play. Don't even get me started on how fine they are with Wayne Carey. Or Ross Lyon. Or how fine they were with Milne. Also, where is the outrage over our former cat Menzel from the AFL?

Yeah. The AFL don't care about being role models. Geelong needs to stop being so accomodating and start sticking up for themselves.
Finally some-one has said it. Thanks for as they say 'belling the cat'.

Burro

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Absolutely.

It really has gone too far for years now. The AFL have so many double standards it is a joke. I was struck by how similar the umpiring was in the first 2 games for Geelong...they should be asking the AFL for a please explain. I don't believe the AFL care about the game at all, it is now all about the money and broadcast rights. Remember the great comeback story about Ben Cousins...no so great...they turn a blind eye as it suits them. It seams that they have decided that Geelong can be sacrificed to benefit other clubs. The club is a business so they need to consider that when they fight back but really Geelong have been good AFL citizens and don't seem to get credit for this. Other clubs that break rules and laws seem to be protected.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Some may disagree with Scott's behaviour on Friday night but I loved it.

For too long we've been pushed around by the AFL. Never getting 11 home games, never getting home finals, MRO decisions that undoubtedly impact us disproportionately.

Scott stands up for the club and stands up for his players.

Let's face it, if Clarkson or Hardwick did what Scott did on Friday the media would be praising their 'passion' and saying 'how much would the players love knowing the coach has their back?'.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

For too long we've been pushed around by the AFL. Never getting 11 home games, never getting home finals, MRO decisions that undoubtedly impact us disproportionately.

Let's face it, if Clarkson or Hardwick did what Scott did on Friday the media would be praising their 'passion' and saying 'how much would the players love knowing the coach has their back?'.
Could not agree more. We are far too passive almost scared of the AFL. Perhaps having Carter as President wasn't such a good idea given that he was a Commissioner and now has a job for them.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

There is a rumour that he threatened to beat Fagan up in the carpark... what a legend. My money would be on Scott to beat up the entire Lions team one after the other.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

I'd be very surprised if every other coach didn't do exactly the same thing.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
What exactly has geelong done except piss everyone off by winning on Friday night??

all I can see that had occurred is Brisbane players had a go at Rohan and Scott retaliated, very minor compared to some of the incidents you see where piles of players throw each other around in a huge scuffle.

so to summarize, Scott had a disagreement with some Brisbane players that didn’t look heated up at all. Rohan got reported for a chest high hit that clicked the neck for two weeks, dangerfield got reported for a clean bump that knocked out a player with a head clash, and an umpire made an incorrect call during the game.

... am I missing something??? Or is the above just normal ordinary business as usual footy.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
What exactly has geelong done except piss everyone off by winning on Friday night??

all I can see that had occurred is Brisbane players had a go at Rohan and Scott retaliated, very minor compared to some of the incidents you see where piles of players throw each other around in a huge scuffle.

so to summarize, Scott had a disagreement with some Brisbane players that didn’t look heated up at all. Rohan got reported for a chest high hit that clicked the neck for two weeks, dangerfield got reported for a clean bump that knocked out a player with a head clash, and an umpire made an incorrect call during the game.

... am I missing something??? Or is the above just normal ordinary business as usual footy.
We had the audacity to beat everyone's second favourite team in the Lions, I think that's the main thing that's riled the masses. The fallout has been unreal - the one positive is that I've consumed even less football media this week than I already do.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
We had the audacity to beat everyone's second favourite team in the Lions, I think that's the main thing that's riled the masses. The fallout has been unreal - the one positive is that I've consumed even less football media this week than I already do.

it really does simply come down to the underlying deep reason people can’t actually say doesn’t it?? That we keep winning and being a good side this long pisses everyone off. It’s as simple as that really. 15 years just is driving everyone nuts

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Finally some-one has said it. Thanks for as they say 'belling the cat'.
I said in the other thread that we should challenge publicly the Rohan call, not to get him off but to highlight Neale's pre-hit. That the Cats need to grow some balls on this BS coming constantly from the MRC/media. Stop appearing so nice about it all and draw some lines in the sand.

But crickets again. Disappointing.

I said in the other thread that we should challenge publicly the Rohan call, not to get him off but to highlight Neale's pre-hit. That the Cats need to grow some balls on this BS coming constantly from the MRC/media. Stop appearing so nice about it all and draw some lines in the sand.

But crickets again. Disappointing.
Problem is that going to the tribunal & not being successful costs clubs $10k - with reduced football budgets this year, it's likely to factor into clubs decisions as to whether they appeal sanctions handed down by the MRO

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
AFL360 showed different angles of the quarter time ‘altercation’ tonight and it seemed very clear that Brisbane players started the verbal stuff and Scott responded.

Also interesting was Fagan clearly carrying on with it as Scott was trying to get back to the coaches box - Scott retaliated but the vision makes it appear that Fagan was instigating it.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
AFL360 showed different angles of the quarter time ‘altercation’ tonight and it seemed very clear that Brisbane players started the verbal stuff and Scott responded.

Also interesting was Fagan clearly carrying on with it as Scott was trying to get back to the coaches box - Scott retaliated but the vision makes it appear that Fagan was instigating it.
Someone on footy classified said fagan mouthed off to scott, and scott called him an old cee you next tuesday.

Burro

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

I was looking at that also. Even robo asked why all the attention about Scott? Why has he been asked to explain? Also fox and nine are using a picture of an angry Scott but it is him addressing the Geelong team and has nothing to do with the incident. The AFL really are pathetic.

Back