Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to be clear I am not advocating tanking in any way shape or form Gero; there are ways of getting active in the draft without bottoming out.
Back in '99 and '01 we were bad enough to ''earn'' some solid picks, but there were trades that helped us stockpile selections, too.
There's more than one way of skinning a cat.

The club's current stance on regenerating the list is pretty clear after 10 years of the same approach.
Doesn't mean that they can't alter that stance; to date it has not brought us ultimate success.

I remember Carlton for years and years bleating on about how they Don't Do Rebuilds. They don't say that any more.

I'd better hit they hay, early start!
What you're after I doubt you'll get. We trade fringe, not stuff that is worth the range you are after.
Moreover, the draft without bottoming out is not conducive to gaining a list of quality youth like the aforementioned '99 and '01 anymore. 2 extra teams spreads the talent further and if we come say 6th this year. Well we'll get selections only 5 places ahead of the premier, in fact the wooden spooner barely gets any benefit over the premiers.

Pick 1... and then every other selections is 1 spot later than the premiers. So what happens if you use your pick 1 on Watts or Schache etc. What if we trade away some decent talent and end up with Mitch Thorp's or Keplar Bradley's or David Spriggs'....

Keep doing what we are doing I say. Trade in some talent and select some through the draft with high picks in years we don't trade. But trade in moderation.

Let's use a recent draft as an example. 2017.

Sure we got sucked in by Kelly and his mistruths about being happy to leave Perth... but his return netted us picks worth more than the 24 we used on him, picks that have netted us Cameron who will be the lynchpin of our forward line after Hawkins finishes up next year presumably. But we took Fogarty at 22. Is Fogarty a bad player? Not IMO, but we picked him getting sucked into the idea that we need to be like Richmond 2017 and have lots of forward pressure so picked a small mid and shoehorned him there for 3 years. Looks better at Carlton in a different environment with a slightly varied role... Pick 25 was Balta.

How much better would we look with young Balta in our side? Or Liam Ryan up forward (albeit he gives off a similar flight risk vibe). Constable that year looking like a bust. We all know about Thurlow v Grundy. So we failed in 2017 because we made the mistake many clubs have made over the years and that is to recruit with the fad of the day in mind, or to replicate what the best team does... and not recruiting with what our needs are. Failed with Grundy because we had already expended capital in trade on McIntosh so left Brodie for someone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Voss was ridiculed and sacked a couple of years after going the ''Crazy Vossy'' route of topping up with veterans from other clubs to supplement a team that he deemed were challenging for a flag. We've been trying it for close to a decade now to no avail.

This approach has taken precedence over the one successful list-building approach that I've seen this club take in all my years supporting them; hitting a couple of drafts hard and developing a core group of kids to play coherently. I'm not sure why the club hasn't tried to replicate this template.

Just to be clear I am not advocating tanking in any way shape or form Gero; there are ways of getting active in the draft without bottoming out.
Back in '99 and '01 we were bad enough to ''earn'' some solid picks, but there were trades that helped us stockpile selections, too.
There's more than one way of skinning a cat.

The club's current stance on regenerating the list is pretty clear after 10 years of the same approach.
Doesn't mean that they can't alter that stance; to date it has not brought us ultimate success.

I remember Carlton for years and years bleating on about how they Don't Do Rebuilds. They don't say that any more.

I'd better hit they hay, early start!

The Crazy Vossy happened pre FA ...if he had done what he had done with less cost it may not have been considered as crazy..

The process we went thru may not have worked without the magic beans of FA .... add 2 or 3 AA level FSons to our current side. and maybe the approach looks more successful.

I like the draft approach far more than the way we have built this list ... but I do wonder if we could accumulate enough premium talent with that method now.

For a start .. one can only pick who is available.. and to a certain degree our correct picks rely on others poor judgement... and most clubs get closer to right these days. Then one has to time the draft to go hard at..and thru luck or good management 01 was a freak draft. Obviously talent alone doesn't get the job done or all the clubs who have received those early picks but I still maintain that Premierships are won by clubs who have early single figure pick players they drafted playing for them.

Scotts doing allright anyway. Needs to get outta the tanning bed and cheer up a bit but 2-2 is good considering.
Not great to watch but the dude is paid to win.
Watch his press conference. He looks pretty happy, particularly 10 minutes after a loss where we largely played like s**t.

This approach has taken precedence over the one successful list-building approach that I've seen this club take in all my years supporting them; hitting a couple of drafts hard and developing a core group of kids to play coherently. I'm not sure why the club hasn't tried to replicate this template.
Pencil necks think that we will ‘lose supporters’ if we spend some time in the lower reaches of the ladder rebuilding. Hurts the bottom line. Pretty insulting to the average supporter really.
Plus they have fallen for that ‘Always contending’ BS which has about as much credibility as trickle down economics.

Pencil necks think that we will ‘lose supporters’ if we spend some time in the lower reaches of the ladder rebuilding. Hurts the bottom line. Pretty insulting to the average supporter really.
Plus they have fallen for that ‘Always contending’ BS which has about as much credibility as trickle down economics.
Yes trickle down economics or the alternative known as vacuuming up up economics

“Pencil necks” = Brian Cook

Up until this year, we have been always contending... nothing bs about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back