Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently a bit happening atm. Knights we know is gone, Enright likely to head to the Pies, and a feeling from many that Scarlett isn’t the right fit. Likely to leave as well. Don’t be surprised if Scott also is considering his future. Sense that he’s burnt out. Might come to an “agreement” and take a year out from the game.
I remember thinking at the end of 2019 the club should have encouraged him to take some extended leave. Like a year away from the game. He seemed burnt-out. The criticism after the selection debacle of the QF seemed to have gotten to him. There's no shame in saying, look we think you're a great coach, but you need some time away to refresh. Then COVID happened. Anyway, my pov is we don't have to be a club that, like most, take an all or nothing approach to their senior coaches. A coach is like any other part of the club: a person. If you have good people at your organisation, you do what you can to support them and don't let them go easily.

I remember thinking at the end of 2019 the club should have encouraged him to take some extended leave. Like a year away from the game. He seemed burnt-out. The criticism after the selection debacle of the QF seemed to have gotten to him. There's no shame in saying, look we think you're a great coach, but you need some time away to refresh. Then COVID happened. Anyway, my pov is we don't have to be a club that, like most, take an all or nothing approach to their senior coaches. A coach is like any other part of the club: a person. If you have good people at your organisation, you do what you can to support them and don't let them go easily.

Clearly the past two years have been tough on everyone, including AFL coaches. It would take a toll being away from family. And I’m sure that there are a myriad of issues he would have had to deal with on top of the norm purely as a consequence of covid. Wouldn’t blame him at all to walk away for a while.

I do think also that every coach has an expiry date at their club. Renewal is needed. Not just with assistant coaches but also with the main gig. It’s starting to feel that we’ve reached or are reaching that point.

He also had to deal with the death of their brother in an off-season a year or 2 before, and he did take some leave then.
We all know CS is one of the highest regarded coaches, amongst coaches.
I think we'd be foolish to send him packing now, but if a player review unanimously said he'd lost them, you'd have to listen t that.

Yes but as others have said Scott will be like Ayres - and also the same year the same thing happened with Ken Judge who was at Haw - had 1 year to go - they wouldnt give him an extension - so he went to the West Coast who gave him the long term deal

Pretty simple equation for mine - even though he said its not an enjoyable job - hah - but like all of them he loves the money . If Hocking at this stage/point of time wont give him an extension - and Carlton are offering him 4-5 years - then he will join the Blues - and i hope that happens . Otherwise the other scenario is that Hocking gives him an 3 yr extension and they would be pure utter hell for the supporters

As much as i would have hated to those that PF to Melb by over 100 pts - that would have hurt deeply every Geel supporter - but it might have just been the clincher for the GFC board not to give Scott an extension

He also had to deal with the death of their brother in an off-season a year or 2 before, and he did take some leave then.
We all know CS is one of the highest regarded coaches, amongst coaches.
I think we'd be foolish to send him packing now, but if a player review unanimously said he'd lost them, you'd have to listen t that.
His brothers death was November 2016

Apparently a bit happening atm. Knights we know is gone, Enright likely to head to the Pies, and a feeling from many that Scarlett isn’t the right fit. Likely to leave as well. Don’t be surprised if Scott also is considering his future. Sense that he’s burnt out. Might come to an “agreement” and take a year out from the game.
If Scarlett goes, is he taking kolo with him?

Yes but as others have said Scott will be like Ayres - and also the same year the same thing happened with Ken Judge who was at Haw - had 1 year to go - they wouldnt give him an extension - so he went to the West Coast who gave him the long term deal

Pretty simple equation for mine - even though he said its not an enjoyable job - hah - but like all of them he loves the money . If Hocking at this stage/point of time wont give him an extension - and Carlton are offering him 4-5 years - then he will join the Blues - and i hope that happens . Otherwise the other scenario is that Hocking gives him an 3 yr extension and they would be pure utter hell for the supporters

As much as i would have hated to those that PF to Melb by over 100 pts - that would have hurt deeply every Geel supporter - but it might have just been the clincher for the GFC board not to give Scott an extension
I'm not sure Scott is that kind of person though. He's very loyal and he basically did the job for no pay at the start of COVID. It's won't be about the dollars and cents. Maybe a change will be as good as a holiday for him. But at the blues? After the way they have treated any of their coaches in the past 20 years? He's not that stupid. If I were at the club I would be putting a new challenge before him, one that isn't based on immediate results, but on where the club wants to be in 5-10 years, one that is ambitious, that excites him. Give him a year to learn from the best strategists from other codes for instance. Come back with fresh ideas. An exciting new direction for the way we play the game. The fear I have is that as soon as we lose a good coach, we will be on the merry-go-round of short-term appointments, chasing short-term results.

I'm not sure Scott is that kind of person though. He's very loyal and he basically did the job for no pay at the start of COVID. It's won't be about the dollars and cents. Maybe a change will be as good as a holiday for him. But at the blues? After the way they have treated any of their coaches in the past 20 years? He's not that stupid. If I were at the club I would be putting a new challenge before him, one that isn't based on immediate results, but on where the club wants to be in 5-10 years, one that is ambitious, that excites him. Give him a year to learn from the best strategists from other codes for instance. Come back with fresh ideas. An exciting new direction for the way we play the game. The fear I have is that as soon as we lose a good coach, we will be on the merry-go-round of short-term appointments, chasing short-term results.

Yeah but all coaches ultimately want work and want to be well paid. It's the only job where current senior coaches have it written about them that they "aren't career coaches" (not directed at Scott either as lots of them are described like that). Ultimately if Geelong only offer another year and someone else offers 5 years like any industry you'd have to consider the options. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that either, whether it's Scott or Hardwick or Clarkson or anyone else.

Last edited:
The problem we have is we no longer have a future story to sell members on... Looking ahead tell me where exactly are we improving? Which kids are showing signs of turning A-grade (a requirement if we want any chance of winning a premiership). Does anyone think we played better as the season went on? I would say our best football was at the start of the year when our blokes hardly knew each other - somehow as the season developed we got worse. Not one of our older players looked to be improving - every single one of them actually got worse as the season dragged on. So what exactly is going to change next year that could suggest we have a good chance of winning the premiership?

I think we were better after the bye, I think it was a result of more continuity in our starting 22 though as the first half was riddled with Danger, Duncan, Cameron, Gutherie, Menegola. We died away late in the season though

A few of us remember a good 40 years without one, and suddenly we're 10 years back into the premiership wilderness with a distinct possibility of still being at least another 5 years away from being genuine contenders again.

Even then there's no guarantee.

Hence the anxiety about us failing to grasp the opportunities when they've presented themselves.
You're last paragraph is pretty much all that needs to be said really.
The club has tried the top up method and unfortunately failed to deliver a premiership.
The coach has had 10 years.
Time for a change.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say the player I’m really surprised in hindsight we let go was Steven Motlop. Scott obviously liked him as he played him when he was probably not deserving of it. He built himself to a level where he was a real asset in attack at least and exactly the sort of player we could do with now. I wonder what facilitated the switch?

View attachment 1236900

Second in favoritism for the premiership heading into this years finals.
You really have to position this alongside the H&A record and ladder finishes he's had to truly appreciate how absolutely appalling the finals performances have been.

This is not a sustainable business model though, ultimately they will be seen for what they are and it will cost them eventually anyway.

Roll the bloody dice!
Yep like the slow death of communism in the former soviet union. Geelong football club is currently russia in about the early 1980s. Gone are the days when everyone thought geelong had defied the trend and would stay in premiership contention forever. Geelong may make finals every year but no one is kidding themselves now that they are a legitmate flag threat. But we still arent at the point where we see how the collapse happens.

Wow Fagan should be under the pump also wonder if any other coach has lasted longer than Scott for 1 flag

Longmire's been around for a long time and had a similar amount of talent at his disposal as what Scott's had. Longmire won a flag early on without some of the big name players they have today, (against an all time great Hawthorn).

Fagan needs to go tell his recruiters to go out and draft 3 or 4 older blokes likes Scott's done and that way he can continue securing top four spots year after year.

I have to say the player I’m really surprised in hindsight we let go was Steven Motlop. Scott obviously liked him as he played him when he was probably not deserving of it. He built himself to a level where he was a real asset in attack at least and exactly the sort of player we could do with now. I wonder what facilitated the switch?
An absolute dud, as he proved in the PF with Port. Never a 'tough' player, I remember seeing him pull out of so many potential physical clashes that I was more than happy for him to go to Port. I can't for the life of me understand why the MC kept on playing him up until the end of his time at GFC. The very definition of 'downhill skier'. I have rarely if ever despised a Geelong player more than Floglop (on a football level, of course, I have nothing against him or any other player in the league on a personal level).

Longmire's been around for a long time and had a similar amount of talent at his disposal as what Scott's had. Longmire won a flag early on without some of the big name players they have today, (against an all time great Hawthorn).

Fagan needs to go tell his recruiters to go out and draft 3 or 4 older blokes likes Scott's done and that way he can continue securing top four spots year after year.

We get it, we get the joke - jump on Facebook and make a reference about Sam Newman being too young for our age profile or something.
What’s next, an edgey ‘missing persons report for Gary Rohan last sighted outside Optus stadium.’

yes, we have drafted in older players.

no, failure to win does not mean we brought them in for the sole purpose of not winning.

What’s next, an edgey ‘missing persons report for Gary Rohan last sighted outside Optus stadium.’

You would probably break lock down restrictions in order to go searching for your boy Gary.

But playing one of the oldest lists ever assembled in the last 50 years does not have to be the only way to achieve success. Understandably it worked for Chris in his first year, but as they say, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

An absolute dud, as he proved in the PF with Port. Never a 'tough' player, I remember seeing him pull out of so many potential physical clashes that I was more than happy for him to go to Port. I can't for the life of me understand why the MC kept on playing him up until the end of his time at GFC. The very definition of 'downhill skier'. I have rarely if ever despised a Geelong player more than Floglop (on a football level, of course, I have nothing against him or any other player in the league on a personal level).

Unless someone does something unforgivable in their general life I don’t subscribe to thinking anyone is a flog or a w***er or whatever because they play a sport a certain way so I don’t really understand the level of vitriol - and yes I understand you were quick to differentiate it just piqued a bit of a pet hate of mine

I think he was an underachiever but an underachiever who is better than an overachieving but ultimately hopeless player, is a bigger asset IMO.

as fans I think we make the mistake of looking at players’ shortcomings when they are physicality related and judge them harsher than what we do for someone who is scared of taking a risk with the ball in hand or shirks two way running or whatever. Motlop made a distinct change in 2015 where he began to tackle a lot more. He was fast and small and was there to play on the outside of the contest, I don’t see him has having really been more worthy of scorn than a lot of other players we’ve had. I’d swap him for Rohan any day

You would probably break lock down restrictions in order to go searching for your boy Gary.

But playing one of the oldest lists ever assembled in the last 50 years does not have to be the only way to achieve success. Understandably it worked for Chris in his first year, but as they say, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

My boy? What does that mean?

I don’t disagree but do you think for example if we DIDNT bring in Smith and Higgins this season we would have fared better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back