Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

There could be something in your thinking there... the plan more so than it necessarily being Hansen, could be someone else also
Agree, the overall feeling I got was that Hocking has gone immediately with a set of changes. so probably pitched a full approach to the Board in the interviews, and has their support. Reckon it would have been a much easier sell to a sensible transition, if Scott elected to not be extended for say 5 years for a rebuild. So, if Scott is saying enough, then he is onto Plan B. I cant see any of the plans having Scott leaving now unless he elects to. If he relayed that to the club, or in fact does that after the trade and draft period, it is unfair and there is no way he would do that. So, to my mind he is staying for 5 more but with a Senior Assistant, or a Senior Assistant will be a transition role to Head Coach. You are right PJ, it may not be Hansen, but the theory makes some send to me.

We missed out on Hansen. Bulldogs promoted him to replace Steven King.

I'm believing it. Even the news report on the radio is suggesting it, and there is nothing coming out of the club to refute it. I think things are in motion.

If it wasn't happening, the club would have come out and denied it already.
I suppose that Damien Barrett has heard something material about it in Perth to be floating what he did yesterday. I still liked the transition idea but holy cow its pretty late in the picture to be doing this then looking for a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Chris Scott leaves because of burnout then the parallels to 2010 become even stronger...

Team considered too old and slow.
Finish the season in top 4.
Lose the qualifying final.
Win the semi-final.
Lose the preliminary final to the eventual premiers.
Coach quits citing burnout.

Of course, we all know what happened in 2011...
That was a champion team that had proven itself in multiple finals campaigns. 2010 was the first bomb-out after making three consecutive GFs and winning two prior to it. While it was also an older side, it was also nowhere near as old as the current, with most of our prime movers only in their late 20s or just turned 30 as well as several much younger players in or coming into their prime years (Hawkins, Selwood, Varcoe). This contrasts to now where just about all our best are well into their 30s.

Seems strange to get new assistance coaches into the club before announcing a new coach …I still don’t believe it

I agree but if he has hit a wall maybe he cares enough about the club to just be honest and say his empty..as unplanned and inconvenient as it is.

I was hoping for a transition too but lets say you are a hypothetical applicant right now and are told jobs vacant- would you be less interested if they said btw Kelly and Lappin have to be assistants

Ideally you want your own designed team but it is already October and Carlton, Collingwood have had first dibs

Scotty has a very high level of integrity - manifests different to others but he seems a pretty principled man…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If I was going to take a wild guess, I'd say Hocking is steering the ship when it comes to a lot of these moves.

- Scarlo and Pops never got along too well and have opposing personas, then one is let go and one is brought in.

- Kelly returns, then talk that Scott is finishing up, after Lappin is locked into a long-term deal preventing Voss and Carlton from poaching him.

- Enright and Knights are farewelled very soon after our Prelim obliteration, and talk of chasing others like Hansen comes up straight away.

We have around 6 weeks 'til draft time and unlike struggling clubs, we require no review into the internal machinations of our club, but rather, a refresh and a straight forward interview process if we want a new head coach.

If we finalize things with Scott in the next fortnight, it wouldn't be outlandish to think that something is already in the works - externally or via internal promotion - to change our head coach too. Could either be someone like Lappin (internal) or someone maybe like Caracella who wanted Kelly due to their connection at Essendon (external). Either is possible at this point.

As I've stated earlier, Scott is not one who would bend the club over, if he was the one who wanted to leave early - given his stellar display of humanity foregoing his salary in its entirety last year. Given that now two posters and multiple reports are citing him finishing up - without any response from the club saying otherwise - , says to me that this is more likely than unlikely.

As always though, we'll have to wait and see

And has been extremely well paid to do so.

It works both ways. Every coach (like every employee) is entitled to, and should, look after themselves. Same goes for players. But the club has to put the club's needs first at all times too. It's the way it is.

Ultimately, neither owes the other anything. For better or worse.

That is overlooked and incredibly

Mark Thompson - when he left Geel - he was burnt out - however he did say - and pretty honestly - look ive got my land holdings ( Armstrong Creek ) - i still need cash flow to service it

Bomber basically said - look im burnt out - but i still want a really good salary - but i dont want to do much at all - bingo - i will become an assistant coach

That assistant coach merry go round is the biggest gravy train of the lot

Alright now I'm just confused:

"Scotty was one person that I have worked with that I learnt an enormous amount from and I am really excited to continue working with him, he is a good person and a good coach,” Kelly said.

“Me spending time around him is only going to be a good thing.”

Mad_Catter year of the cat , you're the guys with the intel - what do you guys make of this? 🤨

"Scotty was one person that I have worked with that I learnt an enormous amount from and I am really excited to continue working with him, he is a good person and a good coach,” Kelly said.

Mad_Catter year of the cat , you're the guys with the intel - what do you guys make of this? :S

Scotty's the coach until he's not..

Mad_Catter year of the cat , you're the guys with the intel - what do you guys make of this? :S
Depends on what the question was I suppose. I assume it was - "How do you get along with Chris?" He isn't going to say - "I don't have to worry about it as he is leaving" if things are still happening in the background. :)

Depends on what the question was I suppose. I assume it was - "How do you get along with Chris?" He isn't going to say - "I don't have to worry about it as he is leaving" if things are still happening in the background. :)

But he said: "I'm really excited to continue working with him" - that's not something you'd say if you knew he wasn't going to be there next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back