Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t be a soft cap thing at all. Look at other clubs like Collingwood and Carlton even Richmond who all beefed up their assistant coaching areas. What have we got. Bugger all. Who we have bought in certainly isn’t breaking the soft cap.
One line coach. Not good enough. Betts ain’t a line coach nor is grigg. Egan is head of development so not a line coach. For mine we need two line coaches. Where are they coming from?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can’t be a soft cap thing at all. Look at other clubs like Collingwood and Carlton even Richmond who all beefed up their assistant coaching areas. What have we got. Bugger all. Who we have bought in certainly isn’t breaking the soft cap.
One line coach. Not good enough. Betts ain’t a line coach nor is grigg. Egan is head of development so not a line coach. For mine we need two line coaches. Where are they coming from?

It’s a soft cap. Rich clubs can pay over and pay the tax. “Equality”.

He hasn’t signed it yet. As per yesterdays geelong advertiser, they are still working through it.

If I didn’t support the cats I may suggest that
Kelly, Ottens, Stokes, Byrnes, Ling (via podcast) are being drip fed their sacrificed salaries from the glory days

Just a thought

Very happy to have Harry T back for his turn after Scarlo and Enright had their fill

Joel may give us a break given we subsidised his with his two brothers

Mackey will be a good in the recruiting office

I enjoyed Max Rooke in development

Lucky Nathan Ablett accepted a nominal donation to the monastery

If Brendan McCartney didn’t give Joel Corey his start at the doggies and Chappy, Bartel, Stevie J, Mooney and Milburn all weren’t dirty on Scotty for their departures then we may have got round to all of the 22!

Btw I’m not complaining

There's a fair few experts around here who should be putting their hands up for line coach positions.

:winkv1:

Not sure there is anyone saying they would do a better job as an assistant.
But for the sake of comparison let’s look at a few clubs coaching staff.
Richmond
Damien Hardwick
Andrew McQualter
David Teague
Adam Kingsley

Collingwood
Craig McCrae
Brendan Bolton
Justin Leppitsch
Hayden Skipworth

Hawthorn
Sam Mitchell
Robert Harvey
Adrian Hickmott
David Hale
Chris Newman

What we see with these teams are line assistant coaches with a lot of experience. As an example.

Let put geelongs coaches up against them.

Chris Scott
James Kelly

If there isn’t some sort of discrepancy there I’d be shocked.

Now if this is the case because of the soft cap then that is very poor management from the club.

Now yes I do know we have put on coaches. But as far as I know they are all in development.

I think anyone would admit that Chris Scott needs some new heads around him in the box and on the lines. He’s a good coach but the past few seasons have see a game plan that couldn’t quite get there.

He is a good coach but surely some new ideas and experience are needed so we can take that next step. From what I see we have not bought that in as yet.

Line coaches are a must. Not just for game day but for during the week at training and in helping develop a player through looking at vision and how individual coaching.

As far as I see we haven’t go them and I worry that we haven’t.

Richmond
Damien Hardwick
Andrew McQualter
David Teague
Adam Kingsley

Collingwood
Craig McCrae
Brendan Bolton
Justin Leppitsch
Hayden Skipworth

Hawthorn
Sam Mitchell
Robert Harvey
Adrian Hickmott
David Hale
Chris Newman

What we see with these teams are line assistant coaches with a lot of experience. As an example.

Chris Scott
James Kelly

Now if this is the case because of the soft cap then that is very poor management from the club.

Now yes I do know we have put on coaches. But as far as I know they are all in development.

I think anyone would admit that Chris Scott needs some new heads around him in the box and on the lines. He’s a good coach but the past few seasons have see a game plan that couldn’t quite get there.

He is a good coach but surely some new ideas and experience are needed so we can take that next step. From what I see we have not bought that in as yet.

Line coaches are a must. Not just for game day but for during the week at training and in helping develop a player through looking at vision and how individual coaching.

You've missed a few coaches for the club

- Nigel Lappin
- Shane O'Bree

We also don't know if Shaun Grigg will step up from being a development coach to an assistant coach

And for all we know the club did talk with a few names above including the likes of Teague, Harvey & Bolton but due to reasons outside of the clubs control, say family commitments, a move down the highway wasn't seen as a feasible option

I think one thing to consider as to why our assistants have limited experience is because if an experienced assistant coach is living in melbourne it is a bit of a turnoff to travel to geelong everyday or move to geelong.

These experienced guys would be getting offers from a lot of clubs and majority would do what is best for there family which is stay at a melbourne club.

Although I don't think that experience is ultra important. Lets look at richmonds 2015 coaching group just before they had there dynasty.

Head coach

Assistant coaches

Apart from Smith and Williams there isn't a whole lot of experience there at the time.

I think that Scott, Lappin and Kelly is plenty of experience and shouldn't stop the club from being successful in the future.

As for you need line coaches it isn't a fair argument because its been a very very very long time since a club didn't have line coaches. Although logically I think it makes sense. I think nowadays there are 100's of position and you chose 22 of them to play as a cohesive unit. Splitting a team into three sections is becoming less and less applicable.

In my opinion the most important aspects of a coach are passion, drive and enthusiasm. And if Scott, Lappin, Grigg and Kelly bring that I am a happy supporter.

You've missed a few coaches for the club

- Nigel Lappin
- Shane O'Bree

We also don't know if Shaun Grigg will step up from being a development coach to an assistant coach

And for all we know the club did talk with a few names above including the likes of Teague, Harvey & Bolton but due to reasons outside of the clubs control, say family commitments, a move down the highway wasn't seen as a feasible option

I didn’t forget lappin and o’bree. Well didn’t mention them because They aren’t like coaches. O’bree is the the vfl coach. Lappin I think is more development.

I think one thing to consider as to why our assistants have limited experience is because if an experienced assistant coach is living in melbourne it is a bit of a turnoff to travel to geelong everyday or move to geelong.

These experienced guys would be getting offers from a lot of clubs and majority would do what is best for there family which is stay at a melbourne club.

Although I don't think that experience is ultra important. Lets look at richmonds 2015 coaching group just before they had there dynasty.

Head coach

Assistant coaches

Apart from Smith and Williams there isn't a whole lot of experience there at the time.

I think that Scott, Lappin and Kelly is plenty of experience and shouldn't stop the club from being successful in the future.

As for you need line coaches it isn't a fair argument because its been a very very very long time since a club didn't have line coaches. Although logically I think it makes sense. I think nowadays there are 100's of position and you chose 22 of them to play as a cohesive unit. Splitting a team into three sections is becoming less and less applicable.

In my opinion the most important aspects of a coach are passion, drive and enthusiasm. And if Scott, Lappin, Grigg and Kelly bring that I am a happy supporter.

If it’s Scott Lappin grigg and Kelly as if you want to call it line coaches then happy days. But do we really know that the case? Or am I missing an announcement.

And isnt Otto floating around as well part time or was that purely off site with Conway personally.

GO Catters

He used to be a part time ruck coach but i think he stepped away for family reasons. Im pretty sure his work with conway was just personal rather than for the club.

Richmond
Damien Hardwick
Andrew McQualter
David Teague
Adam Kingsley

Collingwood
Craig McCrae
Brendan Bolton
Justin Leppitsch
Hayden Skipworth

Hawthorn
Sam Mitchell
Robert Harvey
Adrian Hickmott
David Hale
Chris Newman

Chris Scott
James Kelly

Kelly and egan have excellent records as development from when they were at essendon (and in egans case melb also). Lappin is very good in this area also and i think betts will be althougu thats more of an unknown. We are about to be bringing in a lot of players under 23 i can see why weve put a focus on younger development coaches over older coaches who might be good tactically but dont relate to the players in the same way. To me it makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasnt there a bloke from North added to the coaching staff?

Yes jason lappin who im pretty sure is niges cousin. Hes quite experienced and has worked for afl clubs in coaching and analysis roles before.

If it’s Scott Lappin grigg and Kelly as if you want to call it line coaches then happy days. But do we really know that the case? Or am I missing an announcement.

Well Lappin has been an assistant coach since 2009 and the club has said multiple times that Grigg will step up to a more intense role which one could only presume is an assistant. Nothing official but why would the club get 3 new development coaches if Grigg wasn't changing roles?

Club keeps assistant coaches and becomes stale. People complain.

Club cleans out coaches and freshens things up. People complain.
its a hiding to nothing for sure.

The changes are good... even if just for change sake... and the outcome unknown at this point..

the only constant as you say.. the complaints regardless of what happens.

GO Catters

Winning a Premiership in his first season gave Chris a lot of Kudos.
Maintaining a high winning percentage added more Kudos
Well handling the of transition of retiring champion players = more Kudos
Excellent communication skills at press conferences = more Kudos
Introducing a new game plan that keeps the team competitive = more Kudos
Ability to recruit quality players from other teams = more Kudos
Showing loyalty to his players and maintaining a professional and cohesive team = more Kudos
Keeping an aging list competitive with new exciting young players coming through = more Kudos

Chris Scott has amassed a strong resume already
Don't forget we were very close in 2020 against a powerful Tigers squad, but Gaz Jr went down in Q1
Winning in 2020 would have totally changed everyone's perspective about CS.
The club has reacted to the 2021 disaster and revamped the coaching personnel.
Would have preferred more non Cat, outside Geelong coaching experience. That will come in future.
Expect to see CS transition into a good development coach with an influx of young players soon.

I was not a CS fan and remain ambivalent. However I accept he is here to stay for a while yet.
Like all professionals, coaches improve with experience and SC has shown he can learn, adapt and evolve.
Falling into Love or hate him camps is divisive.
Especially when looking idealistically from the outside, without any knowledge of internal issues.
The only way forward is to keep an open mind with constructive criticism when necessary.

Anyone catch the article in the addy about Scott and new coaching structure?
Anything note worthy or of interest? I missed it and I’m not a subscriber

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not a subscriber either, but I understand that there has been a somewhat radical change to the coaching structure with "Line Coaches" being done away with.

I'm sure a subscriber in here will be able to offer more.

There's a bit of discussion about the new structure in the following thread, and the new structure is mentioned here - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...es-for-assistants-in-2022-at-gfc-afl.1297612/

The main thing in the article about Scott is:

Hocking said he was confident Scott’s new two-year contract extension with Geelong would be finalised soon, as the club and the coach work through “a couple of small things”.

“It is definitely going to be done,” Hocking said.

“We are thrilled with what Chris has been able to achieve in his time here and we are looking forward to the next couple of years. He is definitely going to be extended, we just have a couple of small things we are going to finalise.

“The other thing we have clearly done is make some adjustments around him. We have 15 new staff and there are nine new players around as well. There is a different air around the place.”

Speaking to a long term Pies supporter today.
He astutely said that he envied Geelong and highly rated CS.
We have been top 4 a record number of times with a stable administration, and coach.
He would rather follow a team that is always able to make top 4 than the regular cellar dwellers like FREO, Carlton, Saints, Lions, GC, etc.
It is too easy to lay blame on the coach when we don't reach the ultimate- a flag.
We have become too used to success since 2007, and really we are a spoiled lot.
We may not beat the very best teams in the comp when it counts, but every year, somehow, we are there and abouts.
Straight from a one-eyed Pie, and EXACTLY what I believe.
The longer CS wants the job, and as long as the players play for him, we keep the very best coach in the comp for our club.

Last edited:
Speaking to a long term Pies supporter today.
He astutely said that he envied Geelong and highly rated CS.
We have been top 4 a record number of times with a stable administration, and coach.
He would rather follow a team that is always able to make top 4 than the regular cellar dwellers like FREO, Carlton, Saints, Lions, GC, etc.
It is too easy to lay blame on the coach when we don't reach the ultimate- a flag.
We have become too used to success since 2007, and really we are a spoiled lot.
We may not be beat the very best teams in the comp when it counts, but every year, somehow, we are there and abouts.
Straight from a one-eyed Pie, and EXACTLY what I believe.
The longer CS wants the job, and as long as the players play for him, we keep the very best coach in the comp for our club.

We are like Sam Stosur aren't we Vdubs.
Win the ultimate prize very early on and then proceed to choke for the next decade.

Why even extend his contract for only two more years? Just make it another decade and be done with it I say.

We are like Sam Stosur aren't we Vdubs.
Win the ultimate prize very early on and then proceed to choke for the next decade.

Why even extend his contract for only two more years? Just make it another decade and be done with it I say.

Makes sense. If finals contention is all people want (and judging by responses on here, they're perfectly content with just that), then sign indefinitely.

If he's the genius he's touted to be on here there should be celebrations all around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back