Chris Scott - Hold that loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many options inside the team to fix this without Henderson now I think about it. For example,

Play Buzza? The guy kicked 14 goals in his last 5 VFL games. I dont think Henderson has kicked 14 goals in his last 10 years of football

In all honesty the situation is. If Buzza isnt playing last night, he should be delisted by Tuesday. When you are not even chosen as the last resort for your position, why are you on the list for?

Yeah they don’t trust him and I don’t blame them, they should get rid of at least 2 or 3 of fort, buzza, smith, Stanley and Abbott.

I’m not so sure we had many good options personally

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Henderson up forward is the most baffling decision of all. Don’t think he would have had a good game as a forward since playing for Carlton.

Scott starts him down there in a prelim with Henderson having hardly played all year. Harry Taylor also kicked 4.2 against the Tigers last time.

Seems like a classic Scott move. Thinking he’s going to look like a genius by having a mediocre player pull something out of his arse. Henderson offered next to nothing.

Looking for his own Shane Ellen stroke of genius move, perhaps?

I am not saying you are right, or wrong... but what you you think we're the main reasons for the loss?
1. ER at FF all night
2. Blicavs on Lynch all night
3. Dangerfield on the ball all night
4. Ablett forward pocket all night
5. Henderson not picked.
6. Dahlhaus should’ve been tagging Houli
7. Maybe even Scott Selwood picked solely as a tagger

So many options inside the team to fix this without Henderson now I think about it. For example,

Play Buzza? The guy kicked 14 goals in his last 5 VFL games. I dont think Henderson has kicked 14 goals in his last 10 years of football

In all honesty the situation is. If Buzza isnt playing last night, he should be delisted by Tuesday. When you are not even chosen as the last resort for your position, why are you on the list for?

Was actually thinking that last night. wondering why they wouldn't just play Buzza and just take a huge risk. Who knows... he could have bamboozled Richmond's defence, simply because he hasn't played AFL footy for ages, and they wouldn't know a lot about his strengths and weaknesses.

Henderson was just a horrible choice for mine. With Lynch.. Taylor had to stay back. Couldn't put him foward. Playing Henderson forward was a stupid idea.. because as you said, he is not a noted goal kicker. He is a defender.

Geelong's emergencies were Rohan, Parsons, S Selwood and Zac Smith. Surely even Zac Smith would have been a better choice.. to combat Nank and Soldo, and allow Stanley to have a bit of Run. Stanley is not a bad player on a wing, I remember from his Melbourne days, he is decent on foot. Surely anything would have been better than Henderson..

Yeah they don’t trust him and I don’t blame them, they should get rid of at least 2 or 3 of fort, buzza, smith, Stanley and Abbott.

What did Henderson do to earn trust though? I cant think of a single reason id trust Henderson to play FF.

With Buzza, If he trusted him in November to keep him on the list, what changed in 12 months? It sure as hell wasnt poor form.

Just seems to me like Scott is more interested in playing his friends then he is in making a big change and call.

What did Henderson do to earn trust though? I cant think of a single reason id trust Henderson to play FF.

With Buzza, If he trusted him in November to keep him on the list, what changed in 12 months? It sure as hell wasnt poor form.

Just seems to me like Scott is more interested in playing his friends then he is in making a big change and call.

Agree with this.

Tom Atkins was useless too. Scott Selwood could have brought more to the table.

I just find it bizarre some of the players Chris Scott had on the field, and some of the talent that is sitting out. Guys like Rohan, Buzza and Selwood aren't elite players, but these guys have shown they can take a game on and impact heavily. Rohan at the start of the season was on fire. He did trail off the second half.. but going back to Henderson..... how the heck can he choose a guy who has played 5 games and contributed nothing, to a guy that has played 15 games and actually won 4 or 5 at the start of the year off his own boot. Just weird.

1. ER at FF all night
2. Blicavs on Lynch all night
3. Dangerfield on the ball all night
4. Ablett forward pocket all night
5. Henderson not picked.
6. Dahlhaus should’ve been tagging Houli
7. Maybe even Scott Selwood picked solely as a tagger

8. Tom Stewart on a wing once he was having no influence
9. Charlie Constable in the side to allow Ablett to stay deep forward all game
10. Have someone play as a leading CHF.

One thing also. Should you not know your options before the Prelim final? So for example, in Scotts mind he has Henderson as 2nd choice FF. As a coach would you not say to the VFL coach "Hey Henderson is our 2nd choice FF, can we get him some gametime down their in the next few weeks please?". How many coaches in the league do you think run around with their 2nd choice FF having kicked 0 goals all season in all forms of football for example.

Structures should be set and known by Round 1. Scott didnt know what his structures were in either finals. Just randomly pulled decisions out of his ass crack that contradicted all form and decision making before it. You cannot label a guy your 2nd choice FF when he has 0 goals to his name all season. Its just not something a normal coach would do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re telling us Buzza has kicked 14 goals in 5 VFL games recently? That’s ridiculous for him not to be picked. Henderson has virtually been injured his whole Geelong career.

Was actually thinking that last night. wondering why they wouldn't just play Buzza and just take a huge risk. Who knows... he could have bamboozled Richmond's defence, simply because he hasn't played AFL footy for ages, and they wouldn't know a lot about his strengths and weaknesses.

Henderson was just a horrible choice for mine. With Lynch.. Taylor had to stay back. Couldn't put him foward. Playing Henderson forward was a stupid idea.. because as you said, he is not a noted goal kicker. He is a defender.

Geelong's emergencies were Rohan, Parsons, S Selwood and Zac Smith. Surely even Zac Smith would have been a better choice.. to combat Nank and Soldo, and allow Stanley to have a bit of Run. Stanley is not a bad player on a wing, I remember from his Melbourne days, he is decent on foot. Surely anything would have been better than Henderson..
St Kilda days

You’re telling us Buzza has kicked 14 goals in 5 VFL games recently? That’s ridiculous for him not to be picked. Henderson has virtually been injured his whole Geelong career.

Yep and 32 goals in 17 games which isn't that bad. He was 4th in the whole league despite playing less games. Scored more goals then any AFL listed player too

Parfitts tackling numbers are a anamoly to me in that most come from him getting to the ball second and tackling his opponent. He isnt the guy whose going to bring down Dustin Martin, he isnt the guy whose gonna drag Cotchin down when he has no right too. Parfitt isnt a guy I want in the centre bounce, he is too small and opponents will simply run over him which well they did last night.

Parfitt was the most expendable in the sense that they needed a lock down player or two last night and they didnt have anyone to turn too

Parfitt's natural role is as an inside mid/rover. He doesn't play there as often as he could, due to Geelong's depth in that area, and need for outside pace. He's not a tagger though, and is small.

The guy for that midfield defensive role would have been Guthrie, who despite playing the best game of his career in the midfield last week, puzzlingly spent most of his time outside of the centre square last night. Another example of overthinking by Scott.

The Cats were doing fine when Danger was in the middle, too. Move him forward, and Richmond's midfield (particularly Dusty) gets on top. Again, Scott overthinking and feeling like he has to "out-coach" his opposite number and do something quirky/different, instead of just continuing with whatever is working.

Players guarding grass is only a coaching issue if they’re instructed to sit in the corridor while an opposition player is 15 metres away, inside the 50, 30 metres out from goal, screaming for ball, takes the mark and then kicks a goal.

Parfitt's natural role is as an inside mid/rover. He doesn't play there as often as he could, due to Geelong's depth in that area, and need for outside pace. He's not a tagger though, and is small.

The guy for that midfield defensive role would have been Guthrie, who despite playing the best game of his career in the midfield last week, puzzlingly spent most of his time outside of the centre square last night. Another example of overthinking by Scott.

The Cats were doing fine when Danger was in the middle, too. Move him forward, and Richmond's midfield (particularly Dusty) gets on top. Again, Scott overthinking and feeling like he has to "out-coach" his opposite number and do something quirky/different, instead of just continuing with whatever is working.

His nautral role is the Dalhaus role if you ask me. He is a good player, I just think he doesnt suit the team and their needs. Id be actively trading him this off season to get a ruck in. Not too sure they will get 1 without giving up a ready made player back

Absolute joke.... another cataclysmic fu** up. How Geelong did not get it right last night beggars belief.

Proves Scott is the problem there.

Richmond could have tried fancy moves too, not playing Soldo or moving a random midfielder back or forward.. but they didn't. They stuck to what is the winning recipe. Geelong just screwed up really bad. Basically lost a game, they should have been able to win. Richmond didn't play very well.

Even looking at the player stats.. it's filled with Geelong players up the top. Richmond's best players were Houli, Lynch and Prestia surrounded by about 10 Geelong players. Just horrible coaching ruined them.

Yep and 32 goals in 17 games which isn't that bad. He was 4th in the whole league despite playing less games. Scored more goals then any AFL listed player too

Buzza averaged 12.18 disposals, 5.41 marks (1.88 contested marks), 1.88 goals and 2.65 tackles per game in 17 VFL games this year, being named in the bests 10 times. Would be/should be in the VFL team of the year. More than earned a place in Hawkins' absence, ahead of an ageing, out-of-favour key defender who has played spots up forward years ago.

Henderson hasn't kicked a goal in 13 games at VFL level over the past two years, and has kicked just 9 goals in 44 AFL games over the past 4 seasons at Geelong. More over-thinking and "clever" coaching from Scott.

His nautral role is the Dalhaus role if you ask me. He is a good player, I just think he doesnt suit the team and their needs. Id be actively trading him this off season to get a ruck in. Not too sure they will get 1 without giving up a ready made player back

I disagree. Parfitt simply needs more opportunity in his natural role, and he'll get that if Geelong stick with him, as guys like Selwood and Danger age, and if Kelly leaves.

Along with Scott overthinking every move and trying to prove points using Blicavs, guys like Dahlhaus being neither here nor there in their performance in their role, and guys like Guthrie and Menegola being chopped and changed from week to week, are the real issue with Geelong's setup.

Buzza should have been getting games during the middle of the year when Ratugolea was out injured for the 4 or so weeks with hamstring. Bringing him in keeps the structures the same and plays a player in his natural role. I said on the Cats board at the time that if he didn't get picked then that we might as well just delist him on the spot. It's just strange considering they gave him some games a couple of years ago when he was way more raw of a player.

Certainly not the 2016 Dahlhaus
Would probably have been AA or at least squad that year but for his knee injury mid season.

He’s a mile off that now. He’s still agile and works hard but he just seems to be a yard slower and his kicking, which wasn’t exactly elite, is worse. Looks like he’s labouring.

Best 22 but not exactly world beating in this form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back