Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one said GF every year. You make top 2 four times and top 4 five times in a 7-year period, though, and it's probably fair to expect a couple of grand finals, particularly when all but one final during that period was played outside of Victoria.
Yep, ok. We should have done better. Though I suspect ‘multiple grand finals’ is a big ask. I suspect if we had beaten the pies week 1, as we should have, we might have made the GF.
Do you think we are in the 2 best teams this year?

Great ? You think this Geelong side is as good as our 07-11 side ?

I am a bit confused 1 minute Scott makes no moves the next minute his making awful moves that costs us games.

Mate when I get home I will go through all the deficiencies with our side.
Not including Stanley in the 1st final was not a move

Blitz started on the wing and wasn't moved, but should of been moved

What these moves your talking about?

A move is when you swing the selected players around in different positions to help the side

Not including Stanley in the 1st final was not a move

Blitz started on the wing and wasn't moved, but should of been moved

What these moves your talking about?

A move is when you swing the selected players around in different positions to help the side

Was more a general comment about this board.

You do realise that moves are made all the time mate if for no other reason than the fact that midfielder need to be rested ? Every interchange involves a move.

Did you watch Hardwicks press conference ? He talked about Scott being a coach who's known to make lots of changes and that's what he did in the first half.

Was more a general comment about this board.

You do realise that moves are made all the time mate if for no other reason than the fact that midfielder need to be rested ? Every interchange involves a move.

Did you watch Hardwicks press conference ? He talked about Scott being a coach who's known to make lots of changes and that's what he did in the first half.
Can you enlighten me on those moves

Yes inferior sides can win finals, we've seen sides more inferior to their opponents win than we were to Richmond. However more often than not it does not happen and when it does its usually starts with the better side underperforming. Had we kicked straight in 08 we most likely win.

Are you suggesting Scott is a good coach during the season but loses all his coaching ability come finals ?
Scott and the MC are certainly prone to losing their mind in the week before the qualifying final to pull some crazy moves that are just not needed.

What really staggers me is they play him in one position all year where he does so well he gets in the AA squad, then move him at the most vital part of the season into a position where he stinks.

Lose lose as I see it, missing a good defender and playing one midfielder short as well.
THIS is what is driving people batshit crazy. Why do it FFS?

All this really indicates is that our list is structured like a pyramid. A small elite group at the top and a whole bunch of fairly limited or not yet mature players underneath.
Wrong. His post just highlights that we have a grade elites. Makes no comment about the strength of the other players.

Our list looks better this year but our list has had plenty of deficiencies over the past 7 years. Or if we have had such a great list -does that still equate to making the GF every year?
Probably from 2005- 2011, we had just about the best list and have three flags to show for it, not 7 flags. They just don’t grow on trees. You have to be a bit realistic surely?
Its had less deficiencies then most of the premiership teams over the past 7 years.

Wrong. His post just highlights that we have a grade elites. Makes no comment about the strength of the other players.

I think maxy87 is spot on.....

It comes down to the infamous bottom six....our "elites" are just that, but if you look carefully, our "bottom six" personnel changes far too regularly. And in numbers...Our bottom six in reality is more like a bottom 8....or worse...

Yes inferior sides can win finals, we've seen sides more inferior to their opponents win than we were to Richmond. However more often than not it does not happen and when it does its usually starts with the better side underperforming. Had we kicked straight in 08 we most likely win.

Are you suggesting Scott is a good coach during the season but loses all his coaching ability come finals ?
Inferior sides have won about 5 finals against us in the past 7 years so it does happen pretty regularly.

Its had less deficiencies then most of the premiership teams over the past 7 years.
You think? West coast deficiencies? Richmond interestingly seem to have developed such a solid game plan-they can lose most of the stats and still win. Bizarre.
The last 3 winners have had plenty more first rounders than us. Hard to deny that high calibre players make a big difference when it matters.

Can you enlighten me on those moves

Hardwicks comments mate.

You do realise every time a interchange is made players change positions. We have a number of players who most games spend time in both the forward line and midfield.

No one said GF every year. You make top 2 four times and top 4 five times in a 7-year period, though, and it's probably fair to expect a couple of grand finals, particularly when all but one final during that period was played outside of Victoria.
Ii is never fair to EXPECT a GF.
It is only a hope.
You, like many pampered Cats supporters, have come to EXPECT success and GF's because of 07-11.
The real football world is not like that.
Even Tigers last year, the best team of 2018, did not make the GF.
It is irrelevant how many years we make top 8- that is in no way a guarantee for a GF. Expecting that is why there are so many angry and petulant supporters.
Appreciate that we have improved from 18, and that next year is a new ride, no guarantees of a top 8 finish, but you know for sure the effort will be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwicks comments mate.

You do realise every time a interchange is made players change positions. We have a number of players who most games spend time in both the forward line and midfield.
But the biggest move that he did (or didn't do) which was also the most costly was to not play our best defender at FB through the finals series.

IMO this cost us a spot in the GF.

Scott on 360 saying the blicavs call was correct. Unrepentant that he’s not divulging certain info about stuff.
Robbo and Gerard not actually asking the right questions re some of the finals calls.
Dangerfield and Parfitt played sore. (wasn’t making excuses)
Can’t see how Kelly trade can get done.

Scott on 360 saying the blicavs call was correct. Unrepentant that he’s not divulging certain info about stuff.
Robbo and Gerard not actually asking the right questions re some of the finals calls.
Dangerfield and Parfitt played sore. (wasn’t making excuses)
Can’t see how Kelly trade can get done.
Scott sitting there saying that in hindsight the Blicavs call was correct was embarrassing. It was such an enormous and obvious mistake, not admitting it is just stubborn. He could have gone some way to lessening the perception of his arrogance, but too proud by the look of it.

Scott sitting there saying that in hindsight the Blicavs call was correct was embarrassing. It was such an enormous and obvious mistake, not admitting it is just stubborn. He could have gone some way to lessening the perception of his arrogance, but too proud by the look of it.
Yep. I actually am in the keep Scott camp but he has to lift his game. Maybe it’s too soon to admit they got a few calls wrong but it will be disappointing if it doesn’t come at some point. Soon.

Why is it so hard for him and the club to admit they stuffed up?

It’s the same for every ridiculous decision he’s made, and there’s been HEAPS. He will never admit he was wrong. It’s embarrassing, the club should be embarrassed. He’s a laughing stock.

By

I meant him, "Scott," pretty much guarantees him a finals spot every year.
Looks impressive for him but doesn’t stand up in September.

Do we have an HGA any greater than anyone else? Does every team have a HGA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ii is never fair to EXPECT a GF.
It is only a hope.
You, like many pampered Cats supporters, have come to EXPECT success and GF's because of 07-11.
The real football world is not like that.
Even Tigers last year, the best team of 2018, did not make the GF.
It is irrelevant how many years we make top 8- that is in no way a guarantee for a GF. Expecting that is why there are so many angry and petulant supporters.
Appreciate that we have improved from 18, and that next year is a new ride, no guarantees of a top 8 finish, but you know for sure the effort will be there.
It is given the if statement regarding home and away results. You make top 2 you have around 40-50 percent chance of making a grand final and if you make 3-4 then you have 25-30 percent chance of making a grand final. This puts the odds of us making at least one grand final since 2013 at well over 90 percent. Given the if statement we should of expected a grand final.

Last edited:
Their finishing result was indicative of their place in the pecking order. In our case, we blew it again.

People are correct to say the club has done well to keep us up and I have no interest in us bottoming out and rebuilding. However, keeping us competitive doesn’t mean we excuse some of our finals efforts, on the field and in the coaches box.

I’ll look at this year as a great effort to get us back into the top 4, but then frustrating that we made some blunders that cost us a flag.

Even when we were easily the best team around in 08, we could not win the flag. I have no doubt that these 2 finals losses reflect the reason we were not near to winning the flag this year. We are a fair way off still, but we can improve- would be ideal if Kelly stays on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back