Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a reason many here have never warmed to Chris Scott is because he never wore our colors.

People like BiggyBoy didn't like an "outsider" beating out former Cats, Ken Hinkley and Brendan Sanderson, for the job. He and others wanted a "favourite son" coach.

Let's face it. If Scott had been a former Geelong player, you would give him more leeway and be less harsh on him, because he is one of ours.

If Hinkley had coached us, and we had won no flags, he wouldn't cop the same crap, because he played for us. FACT!

I think a reason many here have never warmed to Chris Scott is because he never wore our colors.

People like BiggyBoy didn't like an "outsider" beating out former Cats, Ken Hinkley and Brendan Sanderson, for the job. He and others wanted a "favourite son" coach.

Let's face it. If Scott had been a former Geelong player, you would give him more leeway and be less harsh on him, because he is one of ours.

If Hinkley had coached us, and we had won no flags, he wouldn't cop the same crap, because he played for us. FACT!

That's a fact is it? - as soon as you try and pass your opinion off as fact then people stop listening to you.

Not fact..supposition
I suspect judgement would have been harsher on a local boy, but we'll never know..

Yeah nah. It's cause he does stupid things sometimes that make no sense, and then he never takes the blame for it.

Simple as that really.

Yeah nah. It's cause he does stupid things sometimes that make no sense, and then he never takes the blame for it.

Simple as that really.

Except that, he was criticised by many here the moment he was appointed senior coach, before he had even made any decisions.

Many here didn't accept him from day one. If he had played for the Cats, they would have.

Look how many here want Matthew Scarlett as our next coach. That proves the "favourite son" theory.

Except that, he was criticised by many here the moment he was appointed senior coach, before he had even made any decisions.

Many here didn't accept him from day one. If he had played for the Cats, they would have.

Look how many here want Matthew Scarlett as our next coach. That proves the "favourite son" theory.
Do what I do mate, put 'IMO' before you post, that way when you preach dribble it won't sound so bad.

OK so maybe there may have been some but it wasn't me and in my opinion many others that post here wouldn't have either. You really need to try and backup that claim. And I'm not sure that wanting Matthew Scarlett as coach "proves" the favourite son theory, and how do I "look at how many"?....geez mate you sound like Trump.

You need to substantiate your claims.

Doesn't prove anything. When have we ever had ex-players as coach? Bomber, Blightly, Ayres etc. Been quite a while since we actually have.

You post stupid things here that make no sense sometimes. Do you ever take the blame for it?

So salty. Why get all cut up cause no one agrees with you? It's just childish.

OK so maybe there may have been some but it wasn't me and in my opinion many others that post here wouldn't have either. You really need to try and backup that claim. And I'm not sure that wanting Matthew Scarlett as coach "proves" the favourite son theory, and how do I "look at how many"?....geez mate you sound like Trump.

You need to substantiate your claims.

BiggyBoy for one was critical of the Chris Scott appointment and said that he wanted Ken Hinkley because he is one of our own.

He has continued to trash CS's legacy, pretends that Scott didn't coach the 2011 flag, and waxes lyrical about Hinkley, a former Cats player, instead, despite Hinkley having a superior list and doing less with it, and despite CS having a superior W-L record head-to-head against Hinkley and Port.

Doesn't prove anything. When have we ever had ex-players as coach? Bomber, Blightly, Ayres etc. Been quite a while since we actually have.

John Devine was our last one.

But Bomber got loved after 2 flags, Blight is a legend and people like his eccentricities, Ayres was never liked.

Also, the internet wasn't around when Blight and Ayres were coaching us, so I don't know if you raged against them like you do about Chris Scott.

That's a fact is it? - as soon as you try and pass your opinion off as fact then people stop listening to you.
He makes valid points though.
Hinkley and Sanderson were overlooked for CS, and many people have never got over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Devine was our last one.

But Bomber got loved after 2 flags, Blight is a legend and people like his eccentricities, Ayres was never liked.

Also, the internet wasn't around when Blight and Ayres were coaching us, so I don't know if you raged against them like you do about Chris Scott.
I would say Devine is the least liked out of all of them. Even Ayers.
Not sure we've ever made a thing of just wanting Geelong people to coach the team.
Maybe back when Farmer or Goggin coached?

Really? I honestly can't remember one person being pi**ed off over Scott getting the gig at the time.
I wasn't on here though then. Were people upset?

Me neither. The players seemed stoked with cs. I remember lingy saying he was a ripper bloke, and how happy they were with the appointment.

I couldn’t care less that hinkley or sando didn’t get the gig. If anything it’s good they didn’t, cause they aren’t very good.

Really? I honestly can't remember one person being pi**ed off over Scott getting the gig at the time.
I wasn't on here though then. Were people upset?
There were.
And of course that diluted after his flag.
But increasingly since our list has aged and the immortals left, so has the discontent increased. Plenty talk about Hinkley- there was a whole thread about him, still gets brought up, but strangely, Port has only once finished above us since CS has been in the job.

Me neither. The players seemed stoked with cs. I remember lingy saying he was a ripper bloke, and how happy they were with the appointment.

I couldn’t care less that hinkley or sando didn’t get the gig. If anything it’s good they didn’t, cause they aren’t very good.
I think overall, they still are. He has no problem attracting star players to our club. They all genuinely felt the pressure on him in our finals, and as usual, lifted. That is his issue- he can get us to play above ourselves- yes, above, because WCE IS a better balanced team, and should have played in a GF.

There were.
And of course that diluted after his flag.
But increasingly since our list has aged and the immortals left, so has the discontent increased. Plenty talk about Hinkley- there was a whole thread about him, still gets brought up, but strangely, Port has only once finished above us since CS has been in the job.
There you go. I thought everyone was pretty happy.
I hadn't heard of him (as a coach) but was happy enough. Said he was going to play kids and the presser was in this media room with wood paneling which looked cool.

Funny stuff. Now the reason the majority want Scott gone is because he didn’t play for Geelong lol
Funny...the main reason I was rapt we got him. History of success, intelligent, tough, outside experience.
Being in the minority of those who want him to stay on at least until his contract expires, life goes on..

I would say Devine is the least liked out of all of them. Even Ayers.
Not sure we've ever made a thing of just wanting Geelong people to coach the team.
Maybe back when Farmer or Goggin coached?

It's a totally different world now. I bet Hawthorn supporters are really miffed that Clarkson never played for them, nor Richmond with Hardwick.

I think Devine was regarded as a poorer coach (not surprisingly, he'd had nearly two decades out of the game here), but still think Ayres was more loathed.

I don't want Scarlett, he is polarising. I want someone like Sam Mitchell to get into our club, or Hodgey boy. Yes I said it. I want assistants who will call bullshit when they see it and have realistic alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back