Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott got a good dose of bad luck when Geelong injured team mates in the finals
Danger on dunc
Smith on clarkie
Sometimes it’s just not your day

Good points. HMc and Clark were disasters.
SS is the intriguing one. The allure is obvious- gun brother/captain, great quality bloke, previous B & F. Were we unlucky that he was so cursed by injuries, or should we not have considered him?
Would to do with Cocky now?
(With the benefit of hindsight) we should never have considered SS. He was an injury bucket before we traded for him and couldn’t get a game at West Coast. Alarm bells right there. He came relatively cheap though so worth the punt for some. I love Cocky but things aren’t looking good for him

I think the last 6-7 years in recruiting is starting to hurt now.
This. Though you could make it 7-10 years of recruiting. We have had some bad luck though with injuries (e.g. Menzel) and players leaving (e.g.Bundy).
I’ve expressed these sentiments in a few posts across a number of threads. Specific recruiting decisions have been made to keep the list strong and competitive while Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor and Danger are running the show. Fair enough. But the result of this, factoring in the bad luck I mentioned, is a team that Scott is able to only get so far. And he has done well to keep them this competitive IMO, notwithstanding the tactical blunders mentioned by all and sundry. This team can play well in a specific style on the postage stamp at Kardinia Park but gets exposed time and time again in September. And I thought we had a pretty good September, considering the car crashes that were 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Not the best list, maybe the best top end, but with Kelly going, that will not continue. Tigers have the best list. Both teams in GF's is proof. A list is more than 6 super players. Our bottom 6 is very average, and equates to at least 10 players.

I do laugh when i read every year the same crap from seeds biggy bobby whoever he is now saying since 2012 that when ”so and so retire we will drop off”... Well apparently that was going to happen each and every year... Over 12 players have been named as geelong are stuffed once they leave.

The entire team now besides 2-4 is left and we managed to push the best side in the AFL to the final quarter in the finals.

Eventually they will be right and we will inevitably fall off. But being wrong ten out of 11 times is just a failure till i guessed it correct.

Simple, they f’ed up, but won’t admit it.

If it was such a bad move. Then why couldnt the entire coaching pannel includinh scarlett enright lappin and co as well as scott decide to make the move???

We had an entire full time panel of coaches who didnt pull the trigger. Why do you think that is??

Obviously your more knowledgable than all of them about football.

If you seeds biggy were sitting in the coaches box we would have beaten richmond by 10+ goals and won the flag by a record breaking margin.

Let them answer that but I have gone a bit cold on Chris because he says stupid things.

Bomber I loved, but hated Ayres from day one. Loved blighty. Now none of them played for Geelong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Anyone who claims that scott is a failure of a coach due to finals but loves blighty is quite a hypocrite. Not that your saying it.

Premierships with geelong. Blight :0 scott:1

Anyone who claims that scott is a failure of a coach due to finals but loves blighty is quite a hypocrite. Not that your saying it.

Premierships with geelong. Blight :0 scott:1
I agree. As you know I don't like Scott but Blighty f**ked up 3 Grand finals big time.
At least one of them we definitely would of won.
But the positive/negative is at least he could admit it so he learned from them.
Unfortunately he was at another club once he had.

Good points. HMc and Clark were disasters.
SS is the intriguing one. The allure is obvious- gun brother/captain, great quality bloke, previous B & F. Were we unlucky that he was so cursed by injuries, or should we not have considered him?
Would to do with Cocky now?

A full pre-season. All going well plays some pre-season games. My personal view - which probably won't happen - is 3-4 weeks in the VFL to start the year off. Take off any undue pressure, let him get a good month of match fitness and form up. Something in the neighbourhood of 15-25 touches a game for a few weeks. So he is actually in form. Then come under senior consideration.

If there are any more serious injury setbacks then cut him loose. Need to learn from past mistakes.

A full pre-season. All going well plays some pre-season games. My personal view - which probably won't happen - is 3-4 weeks in the VFL to start the year off. Take off any undue pressure, let him get a good month of match fitness and form up. Something in the neighbourhood of 15-25 touches a game for a few weeks. So he is actually in form. Then come under senior consideration.

If there are any more serious injury setbacks then cut him loose. Need to learn from past mistakes.
There is an argument for playing him first up in Round One, presuming he has a good pre-season.
That way, if he breaks down we find out nice and early.

I agree. As you know I don't like Scott but Blighty f**ked up 3 Grand finals big time.
At least one of them we definitely would of won.
But the positive/negative is at least he could admit it so he learned from them.
Unfortunately he was at another club once he had.

What i find interesting is when you look at his coaching from perspectives of the most wise and knowledgeable people such as opposition coaches there is nothing but immense praise and respect for him.

Roughly will quote Hardwick after the game in his presser ” they changed alot of things in that first half, scotty is known to do that, we had to make some adjustments”

Pretty much it was scotts coaching straight from hardwick himself as the reason we got 21 points up, not the players.

Thats some praise for a guy who according to us amateurs on the side stuffed up everything and coached horribly.

The players just werent good enough in the end

Can't agree on this one....they will know well and truly by Round 1 if he's "in form" and fit enough to play at AFL level....play him...if he breaks down badly again at least we know early and can then look at the mid season draft...

I dont think we can mollycoddle him any longer...

Can't agree on this one....they will know well and truly by Round 1 if he's "in form" and fit enough to play at AFL level....play him...if he breaks down badly again at least we know early and can then look at the mid season draft...

I dont think we can mollycoddle him any longer...

Fair enough. It was more to avoid pressure and completely unrealistic expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Hardwick made some adjustments, Richmond started piling goals on, and Scott did... what?

Biggy, when an inferior team gets a jump tactically on a better team and gets ahead, it usually only lasts as long as adjustments made from the opposition. Once things became a level playing field we just couldn't go with them anymore. We needed a much bigger lead and we didn't have the cattle to do it unfortunately. Especially with no hawkins or duncan.

With all things equal they are a much better side than us. Scott just jumped hardwick and gave us a sniff. Once all things became even we just couldnt go with them the slightest

Ahh yes....the old unrealistic expectations!! The longer he is out, the better he is....
Does anyone remember a player by the name of Ugrinich (hope that’s how you spell it). He spent 5 years on our list and didn’t play a senior game, always injured. I can see Cocky going the same way!

Does anyone remember a player by the name of Ugrinich (hope that’s how you spell it). He spent 5 years on our list and didn’t play a senior game, always injured. I can see Cocky going the same way!
Ugrinic.
Agree.
Marcus Drum also a shocker for bad luck.

Ugrinic.
Agree.
Marcus Drum also a shocker for bad luck.

Who on earth is ugrinic??

I dont mind us taking injury plagued kids in the draft. Go for best available injury hit or not. Sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesnt.

There were half a dozen clubs tsking this cautious approach with selwood and the reason he slipped to us.

Always go best available. Otherwise the potential regret can just be too much if you dont.

The amount of times hawks have probably asked what if we drafted selwood over thorpe would be something i dont want us to ever experience

Who on earth is ugrinic??

I dont mind us taking injury plagued kids in the draft. Go for best available injury hit or not. Sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesnt.

There were half a dozen clubs tsking this cautious approach with selwood and the reason he slipped to us.

Always go best available. Otherwise the potential regret can just be too much if you dont.

The amount of times hawks have probably asked what if we drafted selwood over thorpe would be something i dont want us to ever experience
This was Ugrinic
Was meant to be an elite Riccardi-like SA winger, but we never got to see him.
I agree with you about best talent available, but the club must do its due diligence as well.
There is no better example than Hawthorn.
They regularly select "don't-go-there" players and get them up.
Burgoyne, Lake, O'Meara, Scully.
I rate Wells highly as a master talent identifier, and Andrew Mackie jumps up immediately. Lightly built, nobody had an inkling he was coming to Victoria, and 3 premierships later, over 200 games, what a pearler.
I really have faith that Wells will select the best available that he can get his hands on.

What i find interesting is when you look at his coaching from perspectives of the most wise and knowledgeable people such as opposition coaches there is nothing but immense praise and respect for him.

Roughly will quote Hardwick after the game in his presser ” they changed alot of things in that first half, scotty is known to do that, we had to make some adjustments”

Pretty much it was scotts coaching straight from hardwick himself as the reason we got 21 points up, not the players.

Thats some praise for a guy who according to us amateurs on the side stuffed up everything and coached horribly.

The players just werent good enough in the end
So reading between the lines you're saying that it's the coach to praise when we're winning and the players fault when we're losing. That's called changing the narrative to suit your argument.

Biggy, when an inferior team gets a jump tactically on a better team and gets ahead, it usually only lasts as long as adjustments made from the opposition. Once things became a level playing field we just couldn't go with them anymore. We needed a much bigger lead and we didn't have the cattle to do it unfortunately. Especially with no hawkins or duncan.

With all things equal they are a much better side than us. Scott just jumped hardwick and gave us a sniff. Once all things became even we just couldnt go with them the slightest
for once I agree with you, I don't think anyone could've beaten Richmond this year, then again I reckon many said the same about Geelong in 2008.

But we were a better side than collingwood and got beaten which aligned us to play Richmond in the PF, I reckon Scott must at least take some of the blame. I know you won't concede that

So reading between the lines you're saying that it's the coach to praise when we're winning and the players fault when we're losing. That's called changing the narrative to suit your argument.

Remember it's never ever Scott's fault when we lose. But he deserves eternal credit when we win.

Shockingly, some of us think the proportions should remain the same - he should get as much praise for wins as blame for losses. As for the ridiculous argument that he's one voice among many - I can't recall five assistants standing on the dais with him in 2011. It was him alone. Still waiting to hear a counter argument to that.

Remember it's never ever Scott's fault when we lose. But he deserves eternal credit when we win.

Shockingly, some of us think the proportions should remain the same - he should get as much praise for wins as blame for losses. As for the ridiculous argument that he's one voice among many - I can't recall five assistants standing on the dais with him in 2011. It was him alone. Still waiting to hear a counter argument to that.
Counter argument? Quite frankly it sounds like you're arguing with yourself.

No i am quoting hardwick from the game directly himself saying it was scotts coaching that put us infront and that he is known to make changes. Your reply was very selective and didnt fully read between the lines of my post.

This is also in sync with scott being voted by the other AFL coaches a while back as the hardest to coach against in a survey. He is extremely highly regarded by those who are experts in the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back