Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listened to bartel a few times and compared to others doesnt have alot going on upstairs. His a bitter sook about tough calls made on his career by scott, and lacks the football nous to ever coach. Brilliant player but it stops there for jimmy
Wow. You really will attack anyone who criticises scott. Do you even follow geelong anymore?

Need to change the words in the theme song?
'We play the game as .....( insert new words here )
as...we used to play
Lol calling malcolm blight a great geelong coach and chris scott not a great geelong coach.

Is that you blightys cats?
No and did I say that Malcom Blight was agood coach and Scott wasn't .No I didn't. And by the way Blight has two premiership Scott has one, so on stats he is better.

as...we used to play

No and did I say that Malcom Blight was agood coach and Scott wasn't .No I didn't. And by the way Blight has two premiership Scott has one, so on stats he is better.

Not at Geelong, he failed to win a flag at geelong. Scott has been a better coach at geelong than blight as he won us a flag

Not at Geelong, he failed to win a flag at geelong. Scott has been a better coach at geelong than blight as he won us a flag
Scott vs Blight as purely Geelong coaches looks at least semi-debatable, as Scott nabbed the year 1 flag whereas Blight had some missed bites at the cherry on GF day. The 90's Geelong teams were better teams than all but 2011 Geelong, but faced better teams to knock them out (compare 89 Hawks or that WCE state team vs 2016 Sydney, 2017 Adelaide or 2019 Richmond - yikes). I know that you have a weird philosophy about ranking coaches where you act as if a list was given to them (ironically for premiership teams only Scott in 2011 was a case of this in the past 20 years) rather than them building the sides, improving the players and developing a game plan to maximise their potential. Because you always say "with that team Bomber should have won more premierships - sub Scott in and he does better).

Anyway the main point of this post wasn't actually Blight vs Scott but could I hear your Thompson vs Scott as that one always gives me a chuckle:

"Scott took the same team that Bomber made lose to Collingwood by 500 points in the 2010 prelim and made them a premiership team the next year minus Ablett". Scott has entered his 10th year, taking over a list that had finished top 4 for 4 years straight in the land of free agency where staying near the top for longer is a lot easier - he has won one flag and in fact made just one GF from finishing top 2 on 5 separate occasions. Bomber took over an aging rabble that had just finished 11 and got 3 grand finals for 2 flags from a list that he built from the ground up.

I know this is real old argument territory but I always get a kick out of your answer on this.

Scott vs Blight as purely Geelong coaches looks at least semi-debatable, as Scott nabbed the year 1 flag whereas Blight had some missed bites at the cherry on GF day. The 90's Geelong teams were better teams than all but 2011 Geelong, but faced better teams to knock them out (compare 89 Hawks or that WCE state team vs 2016 Sydney, 2017 Adelaide or 2019 Richmond - yikes). I know that you have a weird philosophy about ranking coaches where you act as if a list was given to them (ironically for premiership teams only Scott in 2011 was a case of this in the past 20 years) rather than them building the sides, improving the players and developing a game plan to maximise their potential. Because you always say "with that team Bomber should have won more premierships - sub Scott in and he does better).

Anyway the main point of this post wasn't actually Blight vs Scott but could I hear your Thompson vs Scott as that one always gives me a chuckle:

"Scott took the same team that Bomber made lose to Collingwood by 500 points in the 2010 prelim and made them a premiership team the next year minus Ablett". Scott has entered his 10th year, taking over a list that had finished top 4 for 4 years straight in the land of free agency where staying near the top for longer is a lot easier - he has won one flag and in fact made just one GF from finishing top 2 on 5 separate occasions. Bomber took over an aging rabble that had just finished 11 and got 3 grand finals for 2 flags from a list that he built from the ground up.

I know this is real old argument territory but I always get a kick out of your answer on this.
I think you getting a chuckle out of it is just either your overly sensitive to opinions you dislike or it hit a nerve as it has truth to it. Either way suit yourself.

I have never said a list is given to a coach, infact i have said quite the opposite if you read what i said properly befofe forming opinions, perhaps go over some of them again. I have stated repetitively how difficult it has been to maintain a successful side despite losing so much elite talent through retirements and falling of form each year like scott has, despite ony bringing in players who are just average- ok footballere despite dangerfield. The sums dont add up the losses and gains. So i have quite clearly acknowledged the list management situations as incredibly difficult and its impact on coaching. The people who argue with me are the ones who say list management is irrelevant and that all of the retirements of our champions and declines are non existent factors because we recruited some average B grade players, i have been quite in acknowledgment of list mangement situations where as others i talk to seem to act like losing them is a non factor.

Once again please read stuff properly, i said thompson was a good development coach, he wasnt a good tactical coach with our established side. He lost 2008 because he simply got out done by clarkson in the box, no two ways about it, he also lost 2010 due to coaching as scott Took the sane group minus ablett to a flag twelve months later. ( once again your posts shows you think losing champion players doesnt have an impact, which is the views i usually have conflict with)

Its well known mccartney sanderson where fantastic assistant coaches, more players credit mccartney for their development than they do bomber. And wells hit a gold mine in a couple of drafts.

You cant honestly tell me that gary ablett chapman johhnson enright bartel scarlett would have been average players under another coach??

I think you getting a chuckle out of it is just either your overly sensitive to opinions you dislike or it hit a nerve as it has truth to it. Either way suit yourself.

I have never said a list is given to a coach, infact i have said quite the opposite if you read what i said properly befofe forming opinions, perhaps go over some of them again. I have stated repetitively how difficult it has been to maintain a successful side despite losing so much elite talent through retirements and falling of form each year like scott has, despite ony bringing in players who are just average- ok footballere despite dangerfield. The sums dont add up the losses and gains. So i have quite clearly acknowledged the list management situations as incredibly difficult and its impact on coaching. The people who argue with me are the ones who say list management is irrelevant and that all of the retirements of our champions and declines are non existent factors because we recruited some average B grade players, i have been quite in acknowledgment of list mangement situations where as others i talk to seem to act like losing them is a non factor.

Once again please read stuff properly, i said thompson was a good development coach, he wasnt a good tactical coach with our established side. He lost 2008 because he simply got out done by clarkson in the box, no two ways about it, he also lost 2010 due to coaching as scott simply showed coaching a lesser talented group without ablett in it.

Its well known mccartney sanderson where fantastic assistant coaches, more players credit mccartney for their development than they do bomber. And wells hit a gold mine in a couple of drafts.

You cant honestly tell me that gary ablett chapman johhnson enright bartel scarlett would have been average players under another coach??
Sorry I actually didn't mean to offend you - I genuinely enjoy the posts!

The second paragraph is another golden one.

Third is one that gets filed under "old classics".

Having the best assistants is shared between coach and the higher ups - president, CEO. Therefore I will never separate them. Scott's assistants have not been blameless but they don't get to take the brunt of the blame for failures - same with Thompson's good and bad years. The best coaches have always ensured they have brilliant assistants and generate the best coaching team, just like they work in tandem with the list management team for the playing list.

All we can judge is their tenures. Where did they start and what did they accomplish? Taking the 11th best side to their first premiership in 44 years, a dominant season with a terrible GF and then a second flag, is much more creditable than taking the 4th best team (with stacks of multiple premiership, once in a generation Geelong players) to one flag and then no further GF appearances in the subsequent 8 years. It would only even start to be comparable if Bomber had botteme

Blight had 5 years at geelong and 3 gfs. 3 prelim wins and only 1 loss. All 3 teams he lost to in grand finals were better teams then the last 7 premiers.

Scott has had 9 years for one solitary grand final and flag from a team that he inherited and did not build. Since then he has stolen numerous other ready made players rather then rebuild and created the worst eight years finals performance of any club in vfl/afl history. 5 prelims for only 1 win.

Scott has also turned geelong culture on its head taking it from the most exciting club in the land to the most dullest. Blight rebuilt our great attacking geelong culture and scott destroyed it.

Blight is our Deng Xiaoping and chris Scott is Xi Jinping. The 70s was our great leap forward.

Blight had to rely on zoning. He got what he got. And he did get some great ones.
Unfortunately the Hawthorn zone was the best, and the first West Coast zone was unbelievable.
Everyone knows overall he was a great coach.
But technically one flag to zero at Geelong though.

Blight had 5 years at geelong and 3 gfs. 3 prelim wins and only 1 loss. All 3 teams he lost to in grand finals were better teams then the last 7 premiers.

Scott has had 9 years for one solitary grand final and flag from a team that he inherited and did not build. Since then he has stolen numerous other ready made players rather then rebuild and created the worst eight years finals performance of any club in vfl/afl history. 5 prelims for only 1 win.

Scott has also turned geelong culture on its head taking it from the most exciting club in the land to the most dullest. Blight rebuilt our great attacking geelong culture and scott destroyed it.

Blight is our Deng Xiaoping and chris Scott is Xi Jinping. The 70s was our great leap forward.

Im basing it off the evidence, which is he didnt inherit a ready made premiership side, he inherited a prelim side which got slaughtered by collingwood 81 points down 10 minutes into the third quarter. Far fron premiership standard. Our list then got worse in 2011 losing ablett who is arguably the best player of all time, large irreplaceable loss that was astronomical to the side structure.

100% credit goes to scott for his flag, he had to reinvent and throw out the game plan entirely and start again for scratch for us to win it which was brilliant, many players have publicly said if it wasnt for Scott we wouldnt have won the flag. So your just very blatantly wrong about that. It just doesnt suit your agenda to acknowledge the reality.

Blight had a champion side with one of the greatest forward/midfield duos of all time but couldnt put together a defensive game plan good enough of winning a flag. Because of blight we are the handbaggers.

A coach who has led us to a premiership will always be better than a coach who failed to which was blight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blight had to rely on zoning. He got what he got. And he did get some great ones.
Unfortunately the Hawthorn zone was the best, and the first West Coast zone was unbelievable.
Everyone knows overall he was a great coach.
But technically one flag to zero at Geelong though.

I find it very hypocritical to say blight was a great coach who made the mosg of what he had, yet scott is a poor coach because he hasnt won a second flag. The team blight had was better than the one scott dealt with between 12-current

I find it very hypocritical to say blight was a great coach who made the mosg of what he had, yet scott is a poor coach because he hasnt won a second flag. The team blight had was better than the one scott dealt with between 12-current
Wasn't trying to put down Scott saying that at all. Just saying how it is.
And it is 1-0
I dunno, I might take 2013 over a Blight team. I dunno. Tough choice. Not as good to watch, but much better defense.

Wasn't trying to put down Scott saying that at all. Just saying how it is.
And it is 1-0
I dunno, I might take 2013 over a Blight team. I dunno. Tough choice. Not as good to watch, but much better defense.

End of the day i simply just value premierships and its the ultimate judge. Which is why i still have thompson ahead of scott, but only slightly.

2>1>0.

From there on you can debate who was better within different aspects of coaching, as i believe scott was a better tactician than thompson but not as good a developer as thompson.

But ultimately thompson won 2 which takes the prize over 1. Flags speak for themselves and are the ultimate indisputable trutu

End of the day i simply just value premierships and its the ultimate judge. Which is why i still have thompson ahead of scott, but only slightly.

2>1>0.

From there on you can debate who was better within different aspects of coaching, as i believe scott was a better tactician than thompson but not as good a developer as thompson.

But ultimately thompson won 2 which takes the prize over 1. Flags speak for themselves and are the ultimate indisputable trutu
Yep. Pretty much how I see it. Its about the flags.
Not that I don't think Blight deserves a spot in our great coaches.
He & Ablett really rejuvenated the club from pretty low and bought the interest in it to probably it's highest ever.
I know his teams are what made me wanna play footy and get into it.

2>1>0.

It sure doesn't sound like it :rolleyes:

Clarkson came up with a game plan that was designed to beat our ball movement and it succeeded. Thompson had no answer for it come the big dance. He failed us big time in 08. The gap between us and hawthorn that year was the size of the Grand Canyon. Yet we lost by four goals.

Officially the worst choke in a finals. Should have never happened.

Collingwood clearly weren’t the better side, a severely weakened geelong outfit in 2011 against that same collingwood side beat them 3/3 times under Scott. We were clearly a better team with just a poor gameplan under Thompson.

Thompson actually asked the players at the end of 2009 if they wanted to change the game plan and the players said no.

What sort of coach has to ask his players if they feel like changing a game plan?? Do you think clarkson gets permission??

He cost us 2008 and also 2010 imo. 2010 is proven by 2011, and 2008 just speaks for itself as quite embarrassing.

I have no doubt Scott would have won us 4-5 flags if he had that group
Bomber in hindsight got the keys to a Ferrari when you look back at it.

He already had a handful of our future champions drafted into the club and was about to have wells hand him Johnson ablett as FS kelly from the draft a year later.

Those players would have been champions wherever they went. It wasn’t bomber Thompson who turned them into stars personally.

Bombers work from 07-10 did not maximize that teams full potential. We shouldn’t have lost 08 or 2010 and it was purely nothing more than poor senior coaching that cost us the flags.

tactically it’s impossible to give bomber above a 5/10 for tactics. Not when he cost us 1-2 premierships that where ours.

Scott didn’t inherit a champion team, but the twilight of one. You only need to look at hawthorn 2016-current to see this is no great inheritance but quite a difficult complex period to steer through.

If Scott gets 2 flags, with a greater win percentage he easily leapfrogs Thompson as he has achieved the same with far less at his disposal.

You only need to look up above to see the players he has lost over 9 years and potentially 2 flags during it.

Once again please read stuff properly, i said thompson was a good development coach, he wasnt a good tactical coach with our established side. He lost 2008 because he simply got out done by clarkson in the box, no two ways about it, he also lost 2010 due to coaching as scott Took the sane group minus ablett to a flag twelve months later. ( once again your posts shows you think losing champion players doesnt have an impact, which is the views i usually have conflict with)

I disagree. I think every single one of those players would of been average or less under a different coach.
Not a single one of them were rated highly before and when we first got them.
Actually Chapman I agree would of found a way to be at least average or a bit better if given the chances.
Remember it was Bomber who really wanted Johnson (with a second rnd pick) and kept encouraging him to play his game.
Also make no mistake the role Bomber had in building that team and the role he had in them playing the best footy ever seen.
That is 100% coaching that game style.
There was no not turning up to exit interviews and not rocking up to preseason bullshit. He worked very hard to get that team to play like that. Too hard at times.

Blight is said to be a great coach because in 10 seasons as coach he made 5 gfs and 2 flags with largely the same strategy and flaie. In around the same time scott only made 1 gf with 1 flag. Scott also completely changed geelongs game plan that won his flag which has made many think it was the playing personal and coaches like sanderson and mccartney that drove the 2011 flag. If scott won that flag with his defensive strategy that he adopted for most of his coaching career he would be given more credit.

Whilst blight could be a genius he also made some major errors that cost premierships. S.hocking on brereton, a hobbled bairstow on matera, training on sand in grand final week, going defensive in the first half of 1993.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back