Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Seriously you are very clueless when it comes to footy.

Heavy reliance on particular players yet we just beat essendon at the MCG by six goals without selwood and dangerfield non influential with injury.

The rest of your post is just too much garbage it embarrasses itself really
Did you watch today's game, though? Summed up cynical's point perfectly. Heavily reliant on Kelly in the midfield, Ablett's brilliance and Stewart down back. Stewart went off and the backline fell apart, with Blicavs being exposed horribly. Back to the same old s**t from perennial under-performers like Guthrie.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Did you watch today's game, though? Summed up cynical's point perfectly. Heavily reliant on Kelly in the midfield, Ablett's brilliance and Stewart down back. Stewart went off and the backline fell apart, with Blicavs being exposed horribly. Back to the same old **** from perennial under-performers like Guthrie.

Not at all It was the complete opposite of the garbage your saying

-no Selwood
- dangerfield player at 75% carrying his knee issue into the game and didn’t have a heavy impact at contests.
- Stewart missed large chunks of the game
- 2/3 man bench lots of the game

Despite this we won by 4 goals. Old geelong without selwood and danger restricted would have rolled over and gotten belted. Shows how much depth we have now got to win today. A lot has changed. We have quality players at the bottom of our list, miers constable clarke Atkins all quality players and making an instant impact.

We don’t have any passengers anymore and probably the best bottom six in the afl

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Savrat is perhaps the biggest passenger in an AFL side at the moment. I can't imagine many other players are getting as much game time for so little return.

Care to highlight to me who we heavily rely on more than any other top side does with their own side?

You said we heavily rely on a few players. We are probably one of the most spread out even contributing sides in the competition this season. Our depth at the bottom is fantastic.

Don’t think you are further from the truth on it

Did you watch today's game, though? Summed up cynical's point perfectly. Heavily reliant on Kelly in the midfield, Ablett's brilliance and Stewart down back. Stewart went off and the backline fell apart, with Blicavs being exposed horribly. Back to the same old **** from perennial under-performers like Guthrie.
It must kill you Geelong winning most weeks with a side most thought wouldn't finish top 8.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Oh well that 5 minute burst just makes every hour of great footy Blicavs has played completely redundant doesn’t it.

And we all know that every side that loses its best defender/forward usually adjusts instantly and nothing ever goes wrong for any other team.

No that right there, that little burst of form from the Kangaroos was proof of the coaching deficiencies we face week after week

Nah, it's great. Not great against NM though.

Hopefully they can win some finals too. But I guess if they don't it's because the list is ****. I see you've slipped that excuse in preemptively.
Remind me where I said that please. Even quote me if you like.

So if the side under-performs in finals, we go back to the old narrative of "well, Scott got a list that wasn't even top 8 into finals. That's good enough."
Cheer up Biggy, the sun will be back up in the morning. Enjoy the wins now while we're getting em, worry about finals when they arrive.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
So if the side under-performs in finals, we go back to the old narrative of "well, Scott got a list that wasn't even top 8 into finals. That's good enough."

Do you think clarkson now has developed a game plan that is poor and inadequate ?? John longmire??

Clarkson has now lost 4 straight games in finals in straight set exits from the top four. Getting smashed in both the games against bottom half sides. Is he now a “crap finals coach and a good H/A coach?”

Or is it more simply put a great system and coach can pull an average team to finals, but then you need the cattle to take it further.

What your basically saying a lot of the time is you would rather a coach who doesn’t have the group over performing and has them even underperforming as you would prefer this to losing finals.

The same post triple premiership era in comparable list positions, comparing both Scott and clarksons “ finals record” Scott is well ahead... also well ahead with his H/A performances.

People also conveniently forget like yourself that identical to hawthorn right now, back from 12- onwards we leaked AA talent at an alarming rate each year. Yet we kept competing strongly. You look at how hawthorn are holding up compared to what we did the same period and we are well ahead.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
We are now equal with what we were this time in 2016. Interesting to see what happens now. You'd say we are in a better position now than then considering who we played.

2016, 7-1, 166.7%

2019, 7-1, 145.6%

It’s all relativity to the other clubs also.

Only once during the entire 2016 season where we top of the ladder.

Right now we are first by 20% points and also a game clear.

Chalk and cheese

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC

So we're not heavily reliant on PFD and Selwood anymore, it's now Kelly? Years of screaming to spread the load, now we're reliant on those players who have stepped up to carry the load?

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
We are now equal with what we were this time in 2016. Interesting to see what happens now. You'd say we are in a better position now than then considering who we played.

2016, 7-1, 166.7%

2019, 7-1, 145.6%

By round 9 2016 we had played the premiers, 2nd,7th,9th,11th,15th,16th,17th from 2015 and were 7-1.
By round 9 2019 we have played the premiers, 3rd,4th,5th,7th,9th,11th,12th from 2018 and are 7-1. (we have also played the 3 other teams in the top 4 currently)

Feel we are in a much stronger position than the same time in 2016

cynical

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Seriously you are very clueless when it comes to footy.

Heavy reliance on particular players yet we just beat essendon at the MCG by six goals without selwood and dangerfield non influential with injury.

The rest of your post is just too much garbage it embarrasses itself really

I guess there are no excuses for a bad finals series then?

I'll commend the club for recruiting and the off-season, the players seems to be doing a lot better this year.

It's very unexpected for all the kids and recruits to be performing so well as well as oldies like Taylor and Ablett.

Having Danger, Ablett and Selwood outside of the centre more has been long overdue.

Keep up the good form and we should at least be competitive in a prelim which is basically the minimum for a team finishing top 4.

Another finals embarrassment simply isn't good enough.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I guess there are no excuses for a bad finals series then?

I'll commend the club for recruiting and the off-season, the players seems to be doing a lot better this year.

It's very unexpected for all the kids and recruits to be performing so well as well as oldies like Taylor and Ablett.

Having Danger, Ablett and Selwood outside of the centre more has been long overdue.

Keep up the good form and we should at least be competitive in a prelim which is basically the minimum for a team finishing top 4.

Another finals embarrassment simply isn't good enough.

Your definition of finals embarrassment is we don’t make a grand final and also your pass mark is we have to make a grand final. Which is ridiculous to say the least.

We haven’t even been the best side a single one of those years let alone a super side. So to put a pass mark a grand final is sheer stupidity. Grand final pass marks are for sides like hawthorn triple peat and the geelong triple side. Not just good sides around the mark. Grand final appearances are above pass marks.

I would say the only year we had finals “embarrassment” as you put it is 2014 going out straight sets. Yet our players were absolutely cooked that year.

If you actually look at how other finals matches have played out in recent times a majority of them have been similar margins to our losses.. it’s across the whole board not a geelong thing.

Like I said, in similar circumstances to 2012 onwards clarkson has bombed out in two consecutive straight sets of 0-4 record.. is clarkson now a crap finals coach?? Have things completely swung and he all of a sudden can’t coach finals??

Identical rebuild scenarios Scott has done a far superior job to clarkson.

It just goes to show how tough and difficult it is to coach a side during that post championship era of a club when your elites are dropping like flies retiring.

And who cares about finals in round 8.

In other words just a trolls attempt to deny any credit for good work done so far this season.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah it was very lucky, same as his other 130-140 victories

Funny how we’ve got such a **** coach but the bloke in the other box mostly seems to be shitter

Funny thing is, with BiggyBoy, the coach in the other box when we play against Port Adelaide was the one he wanted as coach to begin with.

Savrat is perhaps the biggest passenger in an AFL side at the moment. I can't imagine many other players are getting as much game time for so little return.
Sam Reid. Does nothing week in, week out and has played 121 games.

Sav has only 13 to his name.

devilsnap

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Huh. This thread is pretty quiet these days. The soup is a little watery so I'll add some salt for the heck of it.

Rd10 2019 is his 200th game coached for the club, 3rd most in club history behing Reg Hickey (304) and Bomber Thompson (260).
He also has the highest winning % of all current coaches (69.8%), and above all current coaches with 150+ games (Longmire [65.4%)], Clarkson [61.8%]), and even higher than Bomber Thompson (61.9% - at Geelong).
And for the record, Bomber coached at 65.9% for his first 9 years at Geelong (which was up to 2008 with a 92% winrate), the echoes of which we are seeing this season.

Oh, for a second, I forgot what I was meant to be doing.

*ahem*

Winning% isn't everything. 70% winrate across 9 years is garbage. Any success is from Bomber's influence a decade ago. 2011 was a gimme - Scott didn't coach/manage a thing and anyone could have coached that team to a premeriship (just forget about 2010 and that Ablett was gone). All the positives is a result from other people, Scott gets zero credit. Even now, Geelong is 8-1 because of Wells magic.
The Geelong board needs to sack him - he can't even coach 300+ games like Hickey did. What garbage - even I could coach better than Scott.
/s

Do I fit right in here at Big Footy? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back