Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you watch today's game, though? Summed up cynical's point perfectly. Heavily reliant on Kelly in the midfield, Ablett's brilliance and Stewart down back. Stewart went off and the backline fell apart, with Blicavs being exposed horribly. Back to the same old **** from perennial under-performers like Guthrie.

Guthrie played well this week against Dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Huh. This thread is pretty quiet these days. The soup is a little watery so I'll add some salt for the heck of it.

Rd10 2019 is his 200th game coached for the club, 3rd most in club history behing Reg Hickey (304) and Bomber Thompson (260).
He also has the highest winning % of all current coaches (69.8%), and above all current coaches with 150+ games (Longmire [65.4%)], Clarkson [61.8%]), and even higher than Bomber Thompson (61.9% - at Geelong).
And for the record, Bomber coached at 65.9% for his first 9 years at Geelong (which was up to 2008 with a 92% winrate), the echoes of which we are seeing this season.

Oh, for a second, I forgot what I was meant to be doing.

*ahem*

Winning% isn't everything. 70% winrate across 9 years is garbage. Any success is from Bomber's influence a decade ago. 2011 was a gimme - Scott didn't coach/manage a thing and anyone could have coached that team to a premeriship (just forget about 2010 and that Ablett was gone). All the positives is a result from other people, Scott gets zero credit. Even now, Geelong is 8-1 because of Wells magic.
The Geelong board needs to sack him - he can't even coach 300+ games like Hickey did. What garbage - even I could coach better than Scott.
/s

Do I fit right in here at Big Footy? :p

Would be interesting to do a comparison over the 9 years of the team geelong has lost in terms of personnel vs the players we have brought into the club.

It’s quite unbelievable we are on top of the ladder when you see the talent that has left over the years.

Finals caveats notwithstanding, to have experienced the last dozen years under both Bomber and Scotty (Yep, 200th game against the Gold Coast this weekend) has been pretty special. And in all honesty, unless you are about 75 y/o and remember going to games in the early 50's when Geelong won their 23 games and back to back Flags, the last 35 years has been quite a ride.

Congratulations Chris, all we can say is keep it up! But during the home and away season there's not too much more he can do at this point.

I'll gladly accept the trade-off our coaching panel seems to have enacted this year where we trade a bit of midfield dominance out but get an actually viable forward structure in.

Finals caveats notwithstanding, to have experienced the last dozen years under both Bomber and Scotty (Yep, 200th game against the Gold Coast this weekend) has been pretty special. And in all honesty, unless you are about 75 y/o and remember going to games in the early 50's when Geelong won their 23 games and back to back Flags, the last 35 years has been quite a ride.

Congratulations Chris, all we can say is keep it up! But during the home and away season there's not too much more he can do at this point.
This came up on my Instagram feed last night. A credit to Scott & Bomber:

1558593737025.png

Further to Sttew's post above....300 wins are 22.62% of Geelong's 1326 all time number, in a time frame of being Geelong's 120th season in the VFL/AFL....thus 16.67% of the time involved. Shows how big an impact this century's output has had. 2003 is the last season a Cat fan has seen fewer than 10 wins in a season.

Pretty good summation

However - unfortunately and unfairly it all comes down to flags - how coaches are rated and liked by certain supporters

With Scott ( and he deserves great credit for the 11 flag ) if Geel can somehow win this years flag ( i will believe that though if it actually happens - not confident at all ) - then Scott will become a legendary Geel coach - he will be up their with Reg Hickey . However having said that - i think this year is a very weak year

You contrast that to a couple ofother coaches who just came up short - Blight - look at the calibre of the opponents - Haw - 7 GFs in a row - and an absolute powerhouse - and theEagles with their gifted bloody state team courtesy of the AFL . Alot of supporters dont take that into account when rating coaches which annoys me

Look at Gary Ayres - he is hated and despised on this board ( not by me ) he was desperately unlucky in 97 - if Geel had jagged that flag - there wouldnt be the ill will to him

Pretty good summation

However - unfortunately and unfairly it all comes down to flags - how coaches are rated and liked by certain supporters

With Scott ( and he deserves great credit for the 11 flag ) if Geel can somehow win this years flag ( i will believe that though if it actually happens - not confident at all ) - then Scott will become a legendary Geel coach - he will be up their with Reg Hickey . However having said that - i think this year is a very weak year

You contrast that to a couple of other coaches who just came up short - Blight - look at the calibre of the opponents - Haw - 7 GFs in a row - and an absolute powerhouse - and the Eagles with their gifted bloody state team courtesy of the AFL . A lot of supporters don't take that into account when rating coaches which annoys me

Look at Gary Ayres - he is hated and despised on this board ( not by me ) he was desperately unlucky in 97 - if Geel had jagged that flag - there wouldn't be the ill will to him

Good points re Blight and Ayres. I think back to that unique 20-game season of '93 and the fact Geelong played only one game each against the bottom three who combined to win 9 matches out of 60...missing on percentage. And i still rankle at watching Gary Sr kick 7 in the ressies in Rd 1 1997 while Geelong lose to the Tigers in the seniors, finishing second by a couple of percent and then playing the Carey-led Kangaroos in wet but not muddy conditions...perfect weather for Pagan's paddock. Those were probably the two years both those coaches may well have won a Flag. But we'll never know of course.

Certainly if Scott can win a Flag this season he assumes the mantle of an all-time great coach, and probably Geelong's best coach. But all he can be rated on is how the side prepares for the Finals and if they can deliver in September. I notice just above Chris Scott is Neil Mann of the Pies, a peerless win percentage up approaching the high 70's, but one Finals win out of 6. I just have this feeling though that the Cats are more ready to withstand the assault and ambush tactics many clubs have done against us in finals of previous years...the smaller side with more run and mobility seems better equipped to handle that pressure from what i see. And i won't really worry too much if it's a perceived weak or strong year, If Scott can coach to a premiership.... a Flag is a Flag, and a 10th cup on the wall outside KP will look great no matter how it's obtained.

Genuinely frightened we're going to sign up his brother.

Don't know about that, but I do wonder if it'll bring to an end our having combined training/practice match sessions with North over the pre-season.

Team we have lost since Scott took over(best 22) 2010-current

B: Harley Scarlett Milburn
HB: Enright Lonergan Mackie
C: Kelly Corey Caddy
HF: Johnson Mooney Chapman
F: Stokes Podsiadly Motlop
R: Ottens Bartel Ling
Int: Varcoe, Wojinski, Christensen,Menzel

No other side has even lost half this talent over a similar period let alone sitting on top of the ladder after it...

Quite remarkable really

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team we have lost:(Best 22)
C: Kelly Corey Ablett wojinski
F: Stokes Podsiadly Varcoe

No other side has even lost half this talent over a similar period let alone sitting on top of the ladder after it...

Quite remarkable really

Could add Blake, Byrnes and J.Hunt on the bench alongside one of the 4 players you named in the centre line.

C: Kelly Corey Ablett wojinski
F: Stokes Podsiadly Varcoe

Quite remarkable really

+ Motlop
+ Caddy
+ Christensen
+ Menzel

C: Kelly Corey Ablett Caddy
F: Stokes Podsiadly Motlop
Int: Varcoe, Wojinski, Christensen,Menzel

Quite remarkable really

It certainly is remarkable. We're lucky to have Scotty as our coach for the foreseeable future. He's not perfect and has made mistakes but he's clearly a very good coach. Unfortunately, posts like yours won't stop some people on here moaning about him and blaming him for everything that goes wrong. It's just easy for those people to make him the scapegoat.

They are obviously very similar with the same biases. Chris is just lucky he ended up at our club that has a good recent history of success and not a basket case like North. I think you could have swapped the brothers at the start and the results would be very similar.

It certainly is remarkable. We're lucky to have Scotty as our coach for the foreseeable future. He's not perfect and has made mistakes but he's clearly a very good coach. Unfortunately, posts like yours won't stop some people on here moaning about him and blaming him for everything that goes wrong. It's just easy for those people to make him the scapegoat.

Agree. I’m sure these people are similar minded in all aspects of their lives not just football.

The talent he has replaced brick by brick across the entire team without any top draft picks is just insane to be sitting where we are.

We have no right but to be bottom four regardless of who we traded in.

So Brad Scott finshes up at North... whats the chances we see his face at Geelong this year... ;)

Don’t see why If he is looking for an assistant role why he wouldn’t slot in nicely. Was an ok senior coach of a club not known to have the best resources at its hands.

Could be a more than handy addition if he isn’t eyeing off a senior gig already.

I do find it hard to believe he agreed to walk away from 800,000 dollars a year next season without anything lined up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back