Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best thing about EPL, is each team plays each team twice, home and away. A totally FAIR system.
MC will go and play a minnow team at it's HG, even if it holds only 15K people.
I know we have finals, but that should be a separate season, instead of the preseason maybe.
Anyway, will never have a fair AFL comp whilst I'm alive.
Funnily enough the AFL is way, way, way more fair than the EPL.
The reason being the wealth distribution from the unfair things.
Sounds odd I know.

No you probably haven't seen me in this thread before. I'm one of the, 'I don't criticise the coach but I've been pushed over the edge' crowd. Was just reading an article in The AGe. My take being the Stanley thing didn't matter and its not his fault its the useless players. Why are they so unskilled Chris???

It's also possible our home ground advantage also helps keep the Cats in contention of finals. But the ultimate goal is to produce a team that can win finals, especially the GF. I have thought we had the talent on the list for this, but maybe I was wrong. Maybe our list is still not good enough, despite having the likes of Paddy, Tom Stewart, Hawkins, Kelly etc.
The etc is the issue.I don't think we have an etc.
Our top 4 or so are elite, but it drops off too severely.
Watching Collingwood, Taylor Adams and Sidebottom are superb mids, and run both ways, Pendlebury is better. Treloar is a gun. Greenwood was NM's second best mid when he left there, and plays as a run - with player. Stephenson could play as a mid, runs all day, and gets 20+ possessions as a small forward. De Goey could be a mid. They ARE laden with true talent.
Kelly is almost flakey, Selwood has carried us too long, Danger is exceptional. Duncan is well below the talent level of all those named, makes way too many "unforced errors" to be highly regarded. Guthrie is our best 2-way mid, even Roos said that last night, and he is not in that league of players mentioned.
We could do this comparison with GWS, Richmond, WCE
I think too many here look at us only, and think we have a great list, but in comparison, we don't.
The thing is, I don't expect us to, and am not critical of it- it is just what we have, and at Geelong, CS is able to get that list to perform. Away from there, for whatever reason, the deficiencies are magnified. I don't get angry at his efforts to get us up, or to trick the opposition, because he is painfully aware of where we are at, and there is not much that can be done to alter that consistently enough under pressure.
If a new coach was able to do so, then my theory is useless, but it's going to be a while before it is put to the test.
The added issue is the decline of Selwood, GAJ, Hawkins, and Taylor

Last edited:

I thin if you've followed Geelong for the past 40 years you've watched a team that plays "the game as it should be played". We may not have won flags over that whole period but we were bloody entertaining to watch. This latest "game plan" is just putrid. Aside from, in my opinion, being a flawed system, it's so bloody boring and frustrating to view. That's not how Geelong teams play footy.
It’s all that and it’s also a failed finals game plan. Lose- lose

Problem is those that can’t handle it will continue to be selected.

With the list we have right now, I think its fair to say that at least 18 0f the 22 are automatic selections..I dont think there's much better to replace them with from the VFL.

Of course Dangerfield going to back up his coach.... Imagine him going against what he says out in public... The media would create another storm if Dangerfield said CS was wrong...
Once again Chris Scott will never admit that he is wrong....

But Stanley has come out and told everybody he was told after the last training session, so Thursday? That he wouldn't play.

How on earth has that been swept under the rug?!

Had a few days to calm down now following Friday night:

Like it or not there is no magical fix before this Friday night, we have to wait and see what happens but what will be will be this Friday.

Persoanlly, yes there was a blunder made Friday night when Stanley was dropped, why play him against Carlton where he proved his value, but they made the call and if we won it wouldn't be discussed.

My biggest dissapoitnemt was our start, too many times now in finals we have been blown away early.

But what made it worst was the way we set up in the last when Collingwood where down roatations was almost as though we wanted to minimise the loss, should have risked losing by 7 goals and going for the win.

Unless we win the next 3 games, I think a minor review of the operations needs to be undertaken, 5 finals lost the same way and countless bye losses shows something is not right.

I dont think we should sack Scott, he is a top operator, but its time for him if we lose a game in the next 3 weeks to put his hand up and say something is not working here and lets get to the bottom of it.

I think a fresh assistant coach as well from either Hawthorn or Richmond wouldn't go astray, a new voice that has come from the 2 most sucessful teams this decade might help re aline our dirtection.

I stand behind Scott, but if his finals record is 6-11 come Saturday, then we (supporters, board, coaches and players) need to work together to fix this, lets not turn on our own lets get the club back to a well oiled machine.
They had a review after the debacle of the 2018 finals. Friday’s final -same old.
Richmond aren’t exactly amongst the 2 most successful teams of the decade yet! And may it stay that way!

But Stanley has come out and told everybody he was told after the last training session, so Thursday? That he wouldn't play.

How on earth has that been swept under the rug?!
Oh exactly... I actually feel for Stanley, his a bit of a scapegoat... Chris Scott decision to not play him was a big reason why we lost as our best Key Defender wasn't playing in his best position

Oh exactly... I actually feel for Stanley, his a bit of a scapegoat... Chris Scott decision to not play him was a big reason why we lost as our best Key Defender wasn't playing in his best position

I do too - imagine knowing the coaching staff (and probably teammates) don't think you're good enough but you're kept around as supposed no.1 ruckman and talked up at pressers and what not, only to be dumped as the coaches thought going without a ruckman was a better choice than having you play.

No wonder he's inconsistent.

Chris Scott still doesn't think Grundy had an impact lol... This guy is unbelievable. Get the basics right Chris and stop outsmarting yourself. Stop trying to continually push your shitty zone that is crap at the MCG and teach the boys how not to s**t themselves in finals and do the basics right, kicking, spoiling, front and centre, tackling... Also let them play on FFS and stop trying to protect a lead you don't have... We need to actually score first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Collingwood, Taylor Adams and Sidebottom are superb mids, and run both ways, Pendlebury is better. Treloar is a gun. Greenwood was NM's second best mid when he left there, and plays as a run - with player. Stephenson could play as a mid, runs all day, and gets 20+ possessions as a small forward. De Goey could be a mid. They ARE laden with true talent.
Kelly is almost flakey, Selwood has carried us too long, Danger is exceptional. Duncan is well below the talent level of all those named, makes way too many "unforced errors" to be highly regarded. Guthrie is our best 2-way mid, even Roos said that last night, and he is not in that league of players mentioned.
I think too many here look at us only, and think we have a great list, but in comparison, we don't.
The thing is, I don't expect us to, and am not critical of it- it is just what we have, and at Geelong, CS is able to get that list to perform. Away from there, for whatever reason, the deficiencies are magnified. I don't get angry at his efforts to get us up, or to trick the opposition, because he is painfully aware of where we are at, and there is not much that can be done to alter that consistently enough under pressure.
If a new coach was able to do so, then my theory is useless, but it's going to be a while before it is put to the test.

What you are decribing is the worst possible outcome situation for Geelong.. Some sort of ongoing treadmill where no matter how far yo walk or run..you get nowhere.

CS and the club either has to win .. or play the kids that can win ..or clear out the playing stock and get kids to play to win. Its not like the Olympics where you get a pat on the back being the only white guy in the 100 Metres final... there is far more neagitive in being where we have been the last few years than some people seem to switch on to.. you burn the rep of the club , change the attitude of the supporters , make the overall vibe of the season as a total waste of effort and time to support.. I cant believe anyone at the clubs wants that.

To me ..they are good enough ..maybe they are not as good as some clubs list but I personally feel that the difference is a success strength , a confidence factor. I saw a stat on Rich the other night.. they now are a betetr side than 2017 because they are playing a more aggressive , more direct brand. They are probably in the zoen where the best players are play near the best, the support staff know their role.. but the have a suppreme confidence in their system.. and its not reliant on stopping the other side..its more reliant on what they do and how they play.

Dont believe me thats fine.. have a listen to a tatical professional Craig Jennings on the SEN podcast talk about our control game.. skinny control compared to the West Coast lateral control... his style kills what i enjoy about the game..but worse its a finals failure so far.. we didn't play this game in 2011 so that does not count imo.

Last edited:
Just watched "Open Mike" with Steve Johnson (aka Stevie J).

In one part, Steve Johnson spoke glowingly about Chris Scott, and said that they won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott being coach.

Mike asked him if he is saying that they wouldn't have won the 2011 flag under Bomber.

SJ said that, no, they wouldn't have, because Bomber had "checked out" by then.

So, here is one of our star players saying that we won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott, and not what some of you say "because of Bomber".

Say what you want about Chris Scott otherwise, but critics like BiggyBoy lose credibility with me when they won't even credit CS with the 2011 flag, and deny him even that success. He hasn't done as much since (and that is something to talk about) but history will record Chris Scott as being coach of the 2011 flag, no matter how much some of you want to rewrite history.

So, like it or not, nothing will ever change the fact that the 2011 flag was Chris Scott's flag, and nothing to do with Bomber, and it will be the same 100 years from now, a thousand years from now, so BiggyBoy, SpazzCats and others can suck it and shut their holes, because one of our champions has confirmed who he credits for the 2011 flag.

When some of you acknowledge that Chris Scott played a big part in us winning the 2011 flag, and give him that credit, then I will be willing to listen to some of your criticisms and consider them.

Last edited:

In one part, Steve Johnson spoke glowingly about Chris Scott, and said that they won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott being coach.

Mike asked him if he is saying that they wouldn't have won the 2011 flag under Bomber.

So, here is one of our star players saying that we won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott, and not what some of you say "because of Bomber".

Say what you want about Chris Scott otherwise, but critics like BiggyBoy lose credibility with me when they won't even credit CS with the 2011 flag, and deny him even that success. He hasn't done as much since (and that is something to talk about) but history will record Chris Scott as being coach of the 2011 flag, no matter how much some of you want to rewrite history.

So, like it or not, nothing will ever change the fact that the 2011 flag was Chris Scott's flag, and nothing to do with Bomber, and it will be the same 100 years from now, a thousand years from now, so BiggyBoy, SpazzCats and others can suck it and shut their holes, because one of our champions has confirmed who he credits for the 2011 flag.

He came into the group , gave them a fresh voice , got them on track again and did that well , and really although he tweaked them its was not his group.. most of the group were trained and experience under Thompson.. .. so it was like Allan Jeans was unavailable in 1988 and Alan Joyce came in... Premiership coach in his first year..
The test after that ..is that bit by bit its become more and more Scotts side. I think we are almost to the point where a fresh voice could be helpful .
.. 9 seasons of football is a heap of time to be judged with his own group. His finals record now is mainly the making of his group.

He came into the group , gave them a fresh voice , got them on track again and did that well , and really although he tweaked them its was not his group.. most of the group were trained and experience under Thompson.. .. so it was like Allan Jeans was unavailable in 1988 and Alan Joyce came in... Premiership coach in his first year..
The test after that ..is that bit by bit its become more and more Scotts side. I think we are almost to the point where a fresh voice could be helpful .
.. 9 seasons of football is a heap of time to be judged with his own group. His finals record now is mainly the making of his group.

But football records will still record HIM as our 2011 coach.

Also, it wasn't like he sat back in the 2011 GF and did nothing. He made a couple of significant moves that "won" us the flag.

-Lonergan onto Cloke (shutting down Cloke who had dominated in the second quarter)
-Jimmy Bartel to CHF (who kicked three goals which sunk the Pies).

Without these coaching moves, we don't win the 2011 flag.

Also, maybe the reason "his group" might not have delivered since is that maybe "his group" aren't good enough.

We know CS can coach a flag with a good team. We don't know if this current team can win a flag. Maybe you are looking at the wrong thing.

Maybe it is our recruiting. Maybe we have let Stephen Wells off the hook for his recent recruiting, due to his performances in the 1999 and 2001 drafts. Also, maybe the football landscape has changed, and a #30 pikc then is now a #70 pick, due to concessions, priority picks, loading up GC and GWS, academy kids, f-s bidding etc. Maybe Wells needs to change with the times in his recruiting. Besides, he ain't getting any younger.

What if- many of you are wrong about CS? What if, you got your wish, and he got sacked by Geelong.

Now, other clubs rate Scotty, so he will get another job with another team, maybe with a BETTER list.

We then get in another coach, and think that we will a flag every year now, like is expected of us (since nothing but a flag will do for some of the entitled).

What if CS then coaches his new team to flags, with a better list to work with, while we continue to struggle in finals?

What then? Are you going to blame the next coach as well, and want him sacked, or will you finally acknowledge that we lose finals because our players are as soft as butter, and having CS has made us play above ourselves, and made us look a better team than we are?

The day some of you get as angry for players not tackling in finals as you do on the coaching is a day I hope comes soon. The players have got away with things for too long.

Vdubs, that's a pretty accurate description of our mids. I would say, beyond our midfield, we have some top talent. Our backline is elite, Hawkins is AA.

What you are describing in our elite mids is that they run their own show - not very accountable.

When some of you acknowledge that Chris Scott played a big part in us winning the 2011 flag, and give him that credit, then I will be willing to listen to some of your criticisms and consider them.
Always given him credit for the 2011 flag.
Was a great effort.
I don't get this Bomber thing you have.
Does he owe you money?
Are you Kent Kingsley? I've heard your a very tall, very good looking man.

But football records will still record HIM as our 2011 coach.

Also, it wasn't like he sat back in the 2011 GF and did nothing. He made a couple of significant moves that "won" us the flag.

-Lonergan onto Cloke (shutting down Cloke who had dominated in the second quarter)
-Jimmy Bartel to CHF (who kicked three goals which sunk the Pies).

Without these coaching moves, we don't win the 2011 flag.

Also, maybe the reason "his group" might not have delivered since is that maybe "his group" aren't good enough.

We know CS can coach a flag with a good team. We don't know if this current team can win a flag. Maybe you are looking at the wrong thing.

Maybe it is our recruiting. Maybe we have let Stephen Wells off the hook for his recent recruiting, due to his performances in the 1999 and 2001 drafts. Also, maybe the football landscape has changed, and a #30 pikc then is now a #70 pick, due to concessions, priority picks, loading up GC and GWS, academy kids, f-s bidding etc. Maybe Wells needs to change with the times in his recruiting. Besides, he ain't getting any younger.

What if- many of you are wrong about CS? What if, you got your wish, and he got sacked by Geelong.

Now, other clubs rate Scotty, so he will get another job with another team, maybe with a BETTER list.

We then get in another coach, and think that we will a flag every year now, like is expected of us (since nothing but a flag will do for some of the entitled).

What if CS then coaches his new team to flags, with a better list to work with, while we continue to struggle in finals?

What then? Are you going to blame the next coach as well, and want him sacked, or will you finally acknowledge that we lose finals because our players are as soft as butter, and having CS has made us play above ourselves, and made us look a better team than we are?

The day some of you get as angry for players not tackling in finals as you do on the coaching is a day I hope comes soon. The players have got away with things for too long.

just as they do Alan Joyce... and when he went to the Dogs ..it was a lot tougher

It’s his list now with only 4 left from when he started. But the finals 12-17 reflect a range of factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back