Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s his list now with only 4 left from when he started. But the finals 12-17 reflect a range of factors.

Which unfortunately we cannot pin down reason/s.
Maybe it's Scott, maybe it's the footy department, maybe it's the assistant coaches, maybe it's development or recruitment, maybe it's outside factors.
We just don't know, we can speculate for sure, and most of us do, but there's no sure fire way to know 1; if we'd be any better under a different coach or circumstances, nor 2; if any changes we would like to see made would have any significant impact.
Similar to the 2011 flag, maybe the absolute only way we win that flag is with Scott at the helm, or, perhaps any new coach would have won it.
Perhaps with a different coach than bomber from 1999 we could have won 8 flags, or none. Who knows.

Best thing about EPL, is each team plays each team twice, home and away. A totally FAIR system.
MC will go and play a minnow team at it's HG, even if it holds only 15K people.
I know we have finals, but that should be a separate season, instead of the preseason maybe.
Anyway, will never have a fair AFL comp whilst I'm alive.
Yeah but the money based inequity stops all but the top few teams competing, besides the Leicester miracle. I agree that a hybrid of the two with a salary cap and everyone plays each other twice would be awesome. Week to week we would care a lot more about footy and the top teams playing each other late on would have a finals like atmosphere anyway.

Just watched "Open Mike" with Steve Johnson (aka Stevie J).

In one part, Steve Johnson spoke glowingly about Chris Scott, and said that they won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott being coach.

Mike asked him if he is saying that they wouldn't have won the 2011 flag under Bomber.

SJ said that, no, they wouldn't have, because Bomber had "checked out" by then.

So, here is one of our star players saying that we won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott, and not what some of you say "because of Bomber".

Say what you want about Chris Scott otherwise, but critics like BiggyBoy lose credibility with me when they won't even credit CS with the 2011 flag, and deny him even that success. He hasn't done as much since (and that is something to talk about) but history will record Chris Scott as being coach of the 2011 flag, no matter how much some of you want to rewrite history.

So, like it or not, nothing will ever change the fact that the 2011 flag was Chris Scott's flag, and nothing to do with Bomber, and it will be the same 100 years from now, a thousand years from now, so BiggyBoy, SpazzCats and others can suck it and shut their holes, because one of our champions has confirmed who he credits for the 2011 flag.

When some of you acknowledge that Chris Scott played a big part in us winning the 2011 flag, and give him that credit, then I will be willing to listen to some of your criticisms and consider them.
Both Johnsons comments are qualified. Thompson was burnt out so wasn't capable of coaching. he knows that we know that, they knew that. Anyone coming in, and it was Scott, was going to be liked because he was new, enthusiastic and possibly focused. Scott was there and coached a team that had some of the greatest players ever to pull on the hoops. And of course you are going to like a Coach that is there when a GF is won.
Was Johnson asked about Scotts coaching skills and tactics now, was he asked what he would do about the after the bye debacle. Was he asked about playing a game and particularly a final without a ruckman. Probably not. If he was his answers may have revealed a little more.

Perhaps it’s still not a stretch to credit Scott with the 2011 flag.
He can be critiqued for subsequent performances in finals, but if Stevie says they wouldn’t have won 2011 without Scott-I accept that insider view.

I think both SJ and Mooney remarked that all the players were on edge and anxious to prove themselves to the new Coach.
With the talent in the team and what they were capable of that obviously led to fantastic things - they all deserve credit for that obviously :thumbsu:

Just watched "Open Mike" with Steve Johnson (aka Stevie J).

In one part, Steve Johnson spoke glowingly about Chris Scott, and said that they won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott being coach.

Mike asked him if he is saying that they wouldn't have won the 2011 flag under Bomber.

SJ said that, no, they wouldn't have, because Bomber had "checked out" by then.

So, here is one of our star players saying that we won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott, and not what some of you say "because of Bomber".

Say what you want about Chris Scott otherwise, but critics like BiggyBoy lose credibility with me when they won't even credit CS with the 2011 flag, and deny him even that success. He hasn't done as much since (and that is something to talk about) but history will record Chris Scott as being coach of the 2011 flag, no matter how much some of you want to rewrite history.

So, like it or not, nothing will ever change the fact that the 2011 flag was Chris Scott's flag, and nothing to do with Bomber, and it will be the same 100 years from now, a thousand years from now, so BiggyBoy, SpazzCats and others can suck it and shut their holes, because one of our champions has confirmed who he credits for the 2011 flag.

When some of you acknowledge that Chris Scott played a big part in us winning the 2011 flag, and give him that credit, then I will be willing to listen to some of your criticisms and consider them.
I watched the last qtr 2011 GF during the bye week

It’s fair to say our current style is as far removed from that free flowing game as is possible. I acknowledge Scott’s contribution to 2011 is significant- it’s churlish to say otherwise. But you could argue where we are at now is more reflective of the Scott coaching ethos than 2011 was.

Both Johnsons comments are qualified. Thompson was burnt out so wasn't capable of coaching. he knows that we know that, they knew that. Anyone coming in, and it was Scott, was going to be liked because he was new, enthusiastic and possibly focused. Scott was there and coached a team that had some of the greatest players ever to pull on the hoops. And of course you are going to like a Coach that is there when a GF is won.
Was Johnson asked about Scotts coaching skills and tactics now, was he asked what he would do about the after the bye debacle. Was he asked about playing a game and particularly a final without a ruckman. Probably not. If he was his answers may have revealed a little more.
pre-recorded.
This week Stanley plays, and if we lose and he is ineffective?
\What if the weather had been as pox as it was meant to be?
What game was it where Blic went into the ruck and saved, helped win it while Stanley was poor?
Overall, people have been asking all year who our best ruck is. And I am a Stanley fan.

Always given him credit for the 2011 flag.
Was a great effort.
I don't get this Bomber thing you have.
Does he owe you money?
Are you Kent Kingsley? I've heard your a very tall, very good looking man.

I respect Bomber for what he has done as well.

But I don't get how people make it sound like Bomber should be talked about in Alastair Clarkson proportions, when he had many good traits, but was flawed as well.

I will always respect Bomber as the guy who helped make my dream come true- seeing a Geelong premiership. Furthermore, in 2009, I got to see one live at the 'G, a day I will never forget.

Bomber deserves all the accolades for helping us to that flag (as well as the players). Hey, I was one who wanted him sacked in 2006, and thought that he had gone as far as he could. To his credit, he changed his game style from 2007 onwards, and it brought winning football.

However, I think Bomber's biggest fault was that he couldn't "walk and chew gum at the same time". When he was left to coach, and made that his first priority, he was great and brought results. But if any distraction came (his marriage breakdown, him focusing on what Gazza would do in 2011) his coaching seemed to suffer. Have a look at his worst recent years, 2006 and 2010 (I don't count 2000-2005 as fails, as he was building a list).

In 2006 he had personal issues in his life, and Neil Balme needed to come in to do some of the other jobs Bomber was doing (e.g. contracts) so that Thompson could focus only on coaching.

In 2010, he was more concerned with what Gary Ablett was doing in 2011, and organizing an exit strategy so he could take the job at Essendon, rather than making us win back-to-back flags a priority.

He also made a fool of himself interfering in what Ablett would do because (a) it wasn't an issue until 2011, so don't worry about it until then, (b) these things should be kept in-house, instead Bomber went on the radio and carried on the feud publicly and (c) his job is to coach Geelong. Leave the contract stuff to Balmey, who was hired to worry about that. Bomber focusing on what one player was doing in 2011 meant that he couldn't focus on the other 37 players in 2010. He acted unprofessional, and also showed hypocrisy by flying the loyalty flag, yet leaving us for Essendon before the end of his contract (at least Ablett was out of contract when he left).

Also, what happened when he went to Essendon can't be ignored, and without wiser heads at Geelong, he might have brought Dank into Geelong, and we could face the similar problems Essendon did. Bomber's recent indiscretions have shown what a destructive individual he can be, and I hope he can get some help for it.

Also, he gets credit for a flag he didn't even coach (2011) by some on the board here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the last qtr 2011 GF during the bye week

It’s fair to say our current style is as far removed from that free flowing game as is possible. I acknowledge Scott’s contribution to 2011 is significant- it’s churlish to say otherwise. But you could argue where we are at now is more reflective of the Scott coaching ethos than 2011 was.

Or maybe he had the list to carry out his plans better.

Firstly, Stevie J is an assistant coach at Sydney, so I don't think he would be allowed to comment on another current coach's coaching, and he would know how it would blow up in the papers if a former player bags his coach.

Also, I think it was filmed before last Friday night, so, unless Johnson has ESP, he couldn't comment on a game which hadn't been played at that stage.

pre-recorded.
This week Stanley plays, and if we lose and he is ineffective?
\What if the weather had been as pox as it was meant to be?
What game was it where Blic went into the ruck and saved, helped win it while Stanley was poor?
Overall, people have been asking all year who our best ruck is. And I am a Stanley fan.

I just shows that we need to focus on getting in a ruckman this trade period.

Goldstein, Ryder, Sam Jacobs and Sean Darcy's name have been thrown around. I would be happy to have any one of them, and then draft a younger ruckman, or back in Fort, to be the understudy.

We need to have an established No.1 ruckman Round 1 next year, and if we have to trade in for one, so be it.

This should be our priority ahead of trading in Jack Steven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I respect Bomber for what he has done as well.

But I don't get how people make it sound like Bomber should be talked about in Alastair Clarkson proportions, when he had many good traits, but was flawed as well.

I will always respect Bomber as the guy who helped make my dream come true- seeing a Geelong premiership. Furthermore, in 2009, I got to see one live at the 'G, a day I will never forget.

Bomber deserves all the accolades for helping us to that flag (as well as the players). Hey, I was one who wanted him sacked in 2006, and thought that he had gone as far as he could. To his credit, he changed his game style from 2007 onwards, and it brought winning football.

However, I think Bomber's biggest fault was that he couldn't "walk and chew gum at the same time". When he was left to coach, and made that his first priority, he was great and brought results. But if any distraction came (his marriage breakdown, him focusing on what Gazza would do in 2011) his coaching seemed to suffer. Have a look at his worst recent years, 2006 and 2010 (I don't count 2000-2005 as fails, as he was building a list).

In 2006 he had personal issues in his life, and Neil Balme needed to come in to do some of the other jobs Bomber was doing (e.g. contracts) so that Thompson could focus only on coaching.

In 2010, he was more concerned with what Gary Ablett was doing in 2011, and organizing an exit strategy so he could take the job at Essendon, rather than making us win back-to-back flags a priority.

He also made a fool of himself interfering in what Ablett would do because (a) it wasn't an issue until 2011, so don't worry about it until then, (b) these things should be kept in-house, instead Bomber went on the radio and carried on the feud publicly and (c) his job is to coach Geelong. Leave the contract stuff to Balmey, who was hired to worry about that. Bomber focusing on what one player was doing in 2011 meant that he couldn't focus on the other 37 players in 2010. He acted unprofessional, and also showed hypocrisy by flying the loyalty flag, yet leaving us for Essendon before the end of his contract (at least Ablett was out of contract when he left).

Also, what happened when he went to Essendon can't be ignored, and without wiser heads at Geelong, he might have brought Dank into Geelong, and we could face the similar problems Essendon did. Bomber's recent indiscretions have shown what a destructive individual he can be, and I hope he can get some help for it.

Also, he gets credit for a flag he didn't even coach (2011) by some on the board here. I don't think he would give himself credit for that flag, so why should BiggyBoy and others do it?
I agree with that. The Clarkson thing though I actually rate Bomber more even with all his flaws.
But that's just me. I don't care Clarkson has won more flags, we played the best footy I've ever seen.
But at the end of the day flags are all that count I guess.
I haven't liked Scott for ages, and I can't honestly rate him as good as Bomber.
He could possibly be a better coach but has never surrounded himself with the best possible people.
Possibly the most important thing as a senior coach and will ultimately be his downfall.
Like Bomber though 10 years after he's gone I'll end up only remembering the flag and the good times.
Both coaches made our dreams come true.
They were all good but 11 was probably my favourite.

Have a client who is building a house next to where Henderson lives and he asked him before last week how the side were feeling heading into the Collingwood final.

Said his body language was shithouse and he could tell that confidence was not high at catland.

I just shows that we need to focus on getting in a ruckman this trade period.

Goldstein, Ryder, Sam Jacobs and Sean Darcy's name have been thrown around. I would be happy to have any one of them, and then draft a younger ruckman, or back in Fort, to be the understudy.

We need to have an established No.1 ruckman Round 1 next year, and if we have to trade in for one, so be it.

This should be our priority ahead of trading in Jack Steven.
The Scott administration doesnt rate ruckmen

Have a client who is building a house next to where Henderson lives and he asked him before last week how the side were feeling heading into the Collingwood final.

Said his body language was s**thouse and he could tell that confidence was not high at catland.

Hendo would have already been out of the side at that point and played in the VFL elimination final defeat, so his frustration is probably a bit unsurprising. If there was anything there, which is hard to say.

Second hand interpretations of body language are a bit like deriving expectations from the tone a coach strikes at a press conference.

Hendo would have already been out of the side at that point and played in the VFL elimination final defeat, so his frustration is probably a bit unsurprising. If there was anything there, which is hard to say.

Second hand interpretations of body language are a bit like deriving expectations from the tone a coach strikes at a press conference.

This guy plays professional sport too so he's a bit more attuned to certain cues one might portray.

He knows nothing about aussie rules and the background of Geelong though so it was interesting to hear.

Said his body language was s**thouse and he could tell that confidence was not high at catland.
body language- probably because he was not in the 22?

How would you know if a new voice would result in poor performance? You need to take off your blue and white goggles and see things for what they really are.

I suppose you thought dropping Stanley was a brilliant move too? What about dropping Menzel for zuthrie in 2017? Chapman as the sub 2013? He has a history of making stupid moves that has cost us big games.

I honestly thought this year the stupid MC moves were finally behind us when boom, Stanley dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back