Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly thought this year the stupid MC moves were finally behind us when boom, Stanley dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The decision to drop Smith for our match against North and then retain Blicavs as our #1 ruck against Brisbane didn't foreshadow that we may just try it again in the finals?

edited for accuracy
I'm thinking that's a big part of it - the idea that Scott or the MC don't rate the ruck position doesn't seem to hold up when you consider how many rucks we have actually tried since the retirement of Ottens.

The decision to drop Smith for our match against North and then retain Blicavs as our #1 ruck against Brisbane didn't foreshadow that we may just try it again in the finals?

Huh? So foreshadow equates to a good MC decision? It worked against Adel but basically not since. It’s like putting Danger to the fwd line against Adel because it surprised and worked against a cooked syd. It was a stupid decision foreshadowed or not.

Huh? So foreshadow equates to a good MC decision? It worked against Adel but basically not since. It’s like putting Danger to the fwd line against Adel because it surprised and worked against a cooked syd. It was a stupid decision foreshadowed or not.

Had Rohan and Hawkins (twice) scored those critical early goals, we could be sitting here saying rucks are overrated. A lot of things went so poorly for us, and Pies grew in confidence.

I never said it was the right decision, just that we really shouldn't have been that surprised that it was considered an option considering the same move had been made less than a month earlier

The Adelaide game was different in that the decision to send Blicavs into the ruck was made as an in-game move because Stanley was getting beaten.

The next time the move was made was for the full game against North and it actually worked that night.

When they tried the same set up the following week against a Martin and it didn't work is when the MC should have decided to put a line through it as a whole game option.

Just watched "Open Mike" with Steve Johnson (aka Stevie J).

In one part, Steve Johnson spoke glowingly about Chris Scott, and said that they won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott being coach.

Mike asked him if he is saying that they wouldn't have won the 2011 flag under Bomber.

SJ said that, no, they wouldn't have, because Bomber had "checked out" by then.

So, here is one of our star players saying that we won the 2011 flag because of Chris Scott, and not what some of you say "because of Bomber".

Say what you want about Chris Scott otherwise, but critics like BiggyBoy lose credibility with me when they won't even credit CS with the 2011 flag, and deny him even that success. He hasn't done as much since (and that is something to talk about) but history will record Chris Scott as being coach of the 2011 flag, no matter how much some of you want to rewrite history.

So, like it or not, nothing will ever change the fact that the 2011 flag was Chris Scott's flag, and nothing to do with Bomber, and it will be the same 100 years from now, a thousand years from now, so BiggyBoy, SpazzCats and others can suck it and shut their holes, because one of our champions has confirmed who he credits for the 2011 flag.

When some of you acknowledge that Chris Scott played a big part in us winning the 2011 flag, and give him that credit, then I will be willing to listen to some of your criticisms and consider them.
You are missing the point. Most of us are saying pretty much any coach who still gave a s**t would have taken us to a flag. Scott tells everyone he is a way better coach today compared to 2011. What does that tell you about his ability then. His brother would have also won a flag with us if he got the job, or Hinkley etc

Clubs sometimes need moments like this to show what they are made of. Is Scott going to stay stubborn and bomb out in straight sets or will be make changes and allow the guys to play some free flowing football.

I'm thinking that's a big part of it - the idea that Scott or the MC don't rate the ruck position doesn't seem to hold up when you consider how many rucks we have actually tried since the retirement of Ottens.
They never bothered to chase a decent one... Scott doesn't rate them at all... Hence Blicavs lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An irony I note is active defenders of Chris Scott point out that turning on Scott is almost disloyal to the club, and be careful of bagging your own. Which is true. You do have to be careful, and I feel I've been a bit over the top this week myself.

However, don't bag the list while defending Scott. This year is a premiership capable list. Anything short of being unlucky not to win the prelim is underacheiving imo.

Hmm, just checked the ratings they have on footywire. Looking at the top 12 players in each of the top 4 teams, we have a spread as good as any. The only team that seems to rely on too few is Brisbane.

Say what you want about Chris Scott otherwise, but critics like BiggyBoy lose credibility with me when they won't even credit CS with the 2011 flag

1 year wasn't long enough time for Chris to have a cultural impact on that team / club. He may have cleaned some structures up, sure. I'd give him that. Culture though, it can't be adjusted in such a short period, not when you have such a senior, influential and successful playing group. The problem right now IMO is cultural.

You had a group of senior players at that club in 2011 who had helped Bomber instill a culture of relentlessness, hard, uncompromising football. Youngsters coming in would have looked up to and wanted the acceptance of the likes of Scarlett, Milburn, Mooney, Chapman, Selwood etc, rather than a new coach. Chris Scott has slowly undone this. The problem right now is about culture, poor mentality in certain situations, negative subconscious thought / emotion. Hence I assure you the coaches would all be looking at the disgusting finals / post bye stats and scratching their heads.

In fact we saw in the early part of this season it was the NEW additions to the team who played with more spark and fire. Who we all hoped might perhaps get the old heads out of their ways. Seems not. Seems they've for the most part fallen into the ways of the existing senior players.

You simply cannot give Chris Scott credit for his ability to develop an ultimately successful team at AFL level. He's had some great tools to work with since 2011, has finished in finals more than any other coach, yet can't even get back to the big stage, let alone win one.

In a developmental respect, as a coach? Chris Scott is a failure.

Last edited:
It sure did. North could not handle the conditions or the ground, so it wasn't a good guide. Against Brisbane our backline seemed to function ok without Blicavs. Of course, it wasn't finals pressure.

The key isn't Blicavs in the ruck. It's Blicavs out of the backline setup imo

1 year wasn't long enough time for Chris to have a cultural impact on that team / club. He may have cleaned some structures up, sure. I'd give him that. Culture though, it can't be adjusted in such a short period, not when you have such a senior, influential and successful playing group.

You had a group of senior players at that club in 2011 who had helped Bomber instill a culture of relentlessness, hard, uncompromising football. Youngsters coming in would have looked up to and wanted the acceptance of the likes of Scarlett, Milburn, Mooney, Chapman, Selwood etc, rather than a new coach. Chris Scott has slowly undone this. The problem right now is about culture, poor mentality in certain situations, negative subconscious thought / emotion. Hence I assure you the coaches would all be looking at the disgusting finals / post bye stats and scratching their heads.

In fact we saw in the early part of this season it was the NEW additions to the team who played with more spark and fire. Who we all hoped might perhaps get the old heads out of their ways. Seems not. Seems they've for the most part fallen into the ways of the existing senior players.

You simply cannot give Chris Scott credit for his ability to develop an ultimately successful team at AFL level. He's had some great tools to work with since 2011, has finished in finals more than any other coach, yet can't even get back to the big stage, let alone win one.

In a developmental respect, as a coach? Chris Scott is a failure.
He hasn’t had the cattle for a fair bit of his time. The club’s hardly had any high picks in the draft. There hasn’t been lots of money to splash around on truly attractive trades. Thompson built that brilliant team on the back of some terrific drafting and a couple of big wins in father/son.
Probably fair to say that if he had the players that Thompson had, Scott would probably have a few more flags in the bag.
I agree Thompson developed a great type of player-but perhaps that was made easier because they were so inherently talented.

Probably fair to say that if he had the players that Thompson had, Scott would probably have a few more flags in the bag.

That's fair, I don't agree though.

I think Chris Scott's measured, intellectual exterior hides a soft, emotional man. To me this reflects the side he's developed. A side that enjoys and performs very, very well when things are nice, easier, when pressure is less of a concern.

No one in their right mind would back this side to win through to a Premiership as it stands. Doesn't matter who's in the team. They're battling a negative collective mentality, which is inhibiting them from performing to the level required - they don't want it bad enough.

He hasn’t had the cattle for a fair bit of his time. The club’s hardly had any high picks in the draft. There hasn’t been lots of money to splash around on truly attractive trades. Thompson built that brilliant team on the back of some terrific drafting and a couple of big wins in father/son.
I agree Thompson developed a great type of player-but perhaps that was made easier because they were so inherently talented.
How many top 10 picks did we have in Bombers era?
Couldn't have been that many.
Selwood, Hawkins (top 3) quality, and Scott got the most benefit out of them.
He got 2 Gaz compo picks as soon as he walked in too.
Maybe Bomber/McCartney/Hinckley also got a lot extra out of players that weren't considered the most talented in the draft?
Us and St Kilda started at the same time. They were considered the up and coming team because of the better picks they got out of the draft.
The fact we went past them with what we got was pretty good.
Still remember that Wizard Cup final hahaha. I reckon the ground was pretty full that night.

Last edited:
Maybe Bomber/McCartney/Hinckley also got a lot extra out of players that weren't considered the most talented in the draft?
Us and St Kilda started at the same time. They were considered the up and coming team because of the better picks they got out of the draft.
Still remember that Wizard Cup final at Waverly hahaha. I reckon the ground was pretty full that night.
Recruitment is wells job, he has had some average years of late
Thurlow, Lang, smedts
Early pick bombouts

Given all the rubbish I am reading wce are a superior team and we should lose by plenty
So a narrow loss or a win is 100% due to scott
And this thread is shut for a weak

It's fine to blame Wells, fair enough.
I know a Stevie J interview has been quoted during the week.
I didn't see it, so don't know if he mentioned Bomber driving all the way up to Wang to meet his family just cause we were considering taking him as a second round pick.
How many coaches do that! He cared intensely about building that team and was a bloody hard worker.
Sure, possibly he was pinging off his head and had the energy but we were very lucky to have him.
That's not a slight at CS BTW. No coaches put in that effort.
Just a case of extraordinary effort leading to an extraordinary outcome.

Last edited:
Still remember that Wizard Cup final hahaha. I reckon the ground was pretty full that night.
Regardless, by hook or by crook, if you have these players, at their peak, in your team, I am guessing it’ll do ok. Scarlett, Enright, Chapman, Stevie J., Joel Corey, Selwood, Ottens, Kelly, Ablett, Rooke, Harley, Mackie, lonergan, Bartel, Milburn, Hawkins, Taylor, Mooney ...
Would they be different players in Scott’s team? We don’t know-some of those leopards wouldn’t be changing their spots. I’d be happy now if we just had half a dozen of that lot!

Regardless, by hook or by crook, if you have these players, at their peak, in your team, I am guessing it’ll do ok. Scarlett, Enright, Chapman, Stevie J., Joel Corey, Selwood, Ottens, Kelly, Ablett, Rooke, Harley, Mackie, lonergan, Bartel, Milburn, Hawkins, Taylor, Mooney ...
Would they be different players in Scott’s team? We don’t know-some of those leopards wouldn’t be changing their spots. I’d be happy now if we just had half a dozen of that lot!
Yeah that would be good.
Scott has had Stevie J, Enright, Selwood, Lonegan, Hawkins and Taylor playing at their peak over the years though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back