Chris Scott says AFL grand final being locked in at MCG until 2057 ‘is a travesty’

Remove this Banner Ad

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I've always liked Scott and Horse :)

Chris Scott has slammed the MCG’s monopoly on the AFL Grand Final as a “travesty”.
The Geelong coach did not mince words, believing the AFL should rethink holding the showcase event at the same venue every season.

While Scott wants a home final for the Cats if they continue in top spot, he says the national competition needs to take the Grand Final on the road.
Under a deal struck last year with the State Government the Grand Final will stay at the MCG until at least 2057.

“The grand final’s at the MCG — It’s locked in for 40 years or whatever it is, I don’t think that’s right,” Scott said on AFL360.
“Maybe that’s influenced by my playing days up in Brisbane, but we’re a truly national competition now — to have the Grand Final locked into the MCG is a travesty.”

Sydney coach John Longmire echoed Scott’s sentiments as he prepared his side for its first visit to the home of footy this season.
“You won’t get any argument from me,” Longmire said.
“It is a national competition.
“It’s wonderful being able to play at the MCG — we play (for) the first time (this season) at the MCG this week.

“What are we, Round 15 (16)?
“It’s a wonderful venue, but we’re pretty clear what we believe.
“It’s a national competition and it’d be great to take the biggest game in the land around the place.”

He's right. I am still amazed that the non Victorian clubs didn't go absolutely crazy about that decision.

For Victorians, it was another 40 years locked in at the MCG, and many millions of dollars invested from both the AFL and the state government on upgrades in facilities and infrastructure, to their benefit.

For non Victorian clubs, it was postulated that they would get greater training access to the MCG. That's it.

The VFL is still very much alive and well.

Yep just feels like lip service to something that will never happen in order to strengthen his clubs own position on hosting finals at KP.

He's trying to sympathize with the interstate sides which happen to be the same sides he's hoping to line up against on his home deck in a final. Bit of PR spin going on I reckon. I liked the comments at the time but there's an agenda behind it for sure.

He said it in the same week Geelong are lobbying to play a final at Kardinya Park if they play a non-Victorian side.

I'm not sure that he specified it had to be a non-Victorian side TBH.

I know CEO Cook has mentioned an interstate club but not sure Scott has.

I've always liked Scott and Horse :)

Chris Scott has slammed the MCG’s monopoly on the AFL Grand Final as a “travesty”.
The Geelong coach did not mince words, believing the AFL should rethink holding the showcase event at the same venue every season.

While Scott wants a home final for the Cats if they continue in top spot, he says the national competition needs to take the Grand Final on the road.
Under a deal struck last year with the State Government the Grand Final will stay at the MCG until at least 2057.

“The grand final’s at the MCG — It’s locked in for 40 years or whatever it is, I don’t think that’s right,” Scott said on AFL360.
“Maybe that’s influenced by my playing days up in Brisbane, but we’re a truly national competition now — to have the Grand Final locked into the MCG is a travesty.”

Sydney coach John Longmire echoed Scott’s sentiments as he prepared his side for its first visit to the home of footy this season.
“You won’t get any argument from me,” Longmire said.
“It is a national competition.
“It’s wonderful being able to play at the MCG — we play (for) the first time (this season) at the MCG this week.

“What are we, Round 15 (16)?
“It’s a wonderful venue, but we’re pretty clear what we believe.
“It’s a national competition and it’d be great to take the biggest game in the land around the place.”
probably wants a grand final hosted at the cesspit that they play at.

He said it in the same week Geelong are lobbying to play a final at Kardinya Park if they play a non-Victorian side.
Geelong would 100% want to play any final in Geelong that they earn the right to host. However they would also be very realistic that the $AFL$ would never even consider letting them play a team like Collingwood or Richmond anywhere other than the MCG.

Geelong would 100% want to play any final in Geelong that they earn the right to host. However they would also be very realistic that the $AFL$ would never even consider letting them play a team like Collingwood or Richmond anywhere other than the MCG.
To be fair though it's a tiny stadium. I mean they've got 64,000 members and granted a few of those are probably cats & dogs but if you can't fit about half your membership base into your home ground for a final then it should be played elsewhere imo.

Yes that MCG deal between Dan Andrews and Gil was an absolute disgrace. Goes well beyond being just an unfair football stitch up and the QLD, SA and WA state governments should have raised absolute hell over it (which they only didn't do because they were all Labor state governments). Even so ******* McGowan should have been all over it. A grand final in Perth would be worth untold millions to our struggling tourism and hospitality industries.

How many other sports around the world fix the deciding game to one location for decades at a time? I cannot think of one, other than NRL as well.

A-League has the grand final at the higher ranked team's home. The last two grand finals has seen the travelling side win. NFL shares the Superbowl around. If the team who occupies where it's being hosted then half their luck (cannot recall the last time this may have happened though). MLS has the higher ranked side hosting. I personally could not give a s**t about $$$ as long as the competition is fair. Unfortunately the AFL do not view it that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A grand final in Perth would be worth untold millions to our struggling tourism and hospitality industries.

This is the one for me, happy to take the fairness argument out, definitely take the "SpIritUal HomE oF FoOty" BS out (god that argument pisses me off) - if this were truly a national game then every state with the facilities to host it should look forward to a big boost in their economy ever 4 or so years, and also those that can't afford the thousands of dollars to fly over to Melbourne could look forward to enjoying the weekend in their own state.

I've been lucky enough to head over for two (one loss one win), and while it cost me a small fortune it was an incredible spectacle and one that needs to be shared around to all supporters.

Exactly. "We're all friends here... Now, AFL, force insterstate clubs to play finals here so that none of their fans can attend."

Finals matches are controlled by the AFL and, unless the policy has changed, tickets are allocated to the competing clubs members proportionate to their respective membership totals

With a capacity of ~30k you’d expect that somewhere north of 10,000 seats would be allocated to eagles members most of which would likely be taken up

I don’t know how many members Geelong have but there’s going to be a lot of pissed off geelong supporters when they find out less than 20k of them will be able to get tickets

Finals matches are controlled by the AFL and, unless the policy has changed, tickets are allocated to the competing clubs members proportionate to their respective membership totals

With a capacity of ~30k you’d expect that somewhere north of 10,000 seats would be allocated to eagles members most of which would likely be taken up

I don’t know how many members Geelong have but there’s going to be a lot of pissed off geelong supporters when they find out less than 20k of them will be able to get tickets
About 64,000 as of June 1st

It's all moot. They'll be travelling to Perth for a prelim when they lose their QF to an MCG tenant.

I actually like the Grand Final being at the MCG. We just need more access to it during the season. There should be a few other equalisation measures too but I’m not as anti the MCG as others obviously.
Right now there’s no suitable alternative to the MCG so I’m comfortable with the GF being held there

There was an agreement in place maintaining that situation until 2037 so it wasn’t moving any time soon. Extending that agreement to 2057 was just taking the piss - it wasn’t necessary on any level and ignores the possibility that in 20 years time there could be a stadium elsewhere that rivals the MCG

Right now there’s no suitable alternative to the MCG so I’m comfortable with the GF being held there

There was an agreement in place maintaining that situation until 2037 so it wasn’t moving any time soon. Extending that agreement to 2057 was just taking the piss - it wasn’t necessary on any level and ignores the possibility that in 20 years time there could be a stadium elsewhere that rivals the MCG

It didnt ignore it

Thats why they did it.

It could remain at the MCG if they literally gave every team the exact amount of games per year played there to equalise it. Make it no ones home ground and just a neutral stadium. Wouldnt happen tho .

It could remain at the MCG if they literally gave every team the exact amount of games per year played there to equalise it. Make it no ones home ground and just a neutral stadium. Wouldnt happen tho .
It's a nice idea in theory.

You could also have a rule that all non-Vic sides must play all their Melbourne games at the G (no Etihad or Goombah Stadium). Again, it's a nice theory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back