Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Thought this deserved its own thread - what a noble gesture by Chris :thumbsu:

EXCLUSIVE:
Premiership coach Chris Scott will forgo his entire salary while the league is shut down in an extraordinary financial sacrifice.

The Herald Sun can confirm that while Scott will continue working as part of Geelong’s skeleton staff he will do so without being paid.

Geelong sources confirmed his dramatic decision at a time when the futures of many staff are uncertain.

It is understood he told the club he did not want to be paid while his battery of assistant coaches were stood down without pay.

Thought this deserved its own thread - what a noble gesture by Chris :thumbsu:

I liked this part from the article - I know no one was named, but credit to those who put their hands up to help colleagues during this period

Geelong’s management has been blown away by a chunk of their players who offered pay cuts to save staff.

Some staff even offered to stand down to save other staff members who have mortgage obligations.

MOD NOTE:

Keep this thread for positive news, updates and such about the club, coaches, players etc

Negativity isn't needed - take criticism of Scott to the CS thread

I liked this part from the article - I know no one was named, but credit to those who put their hands up to help colleagues during this period
Really shows we’ve got a fantastic club, great to hear.

I also was very happy to see all our Irish players chose to stay here - while Touhy was a given, O’Connor and especially Okunbor are young and very likely have little to no family down here. Almost every Irish player in the league meanwhile has gone home.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Tells you everything about how much reasoned and objective debate has departed from this board that there will be some posters here who will see this thread title and be simply itching to type...

'About time he stopped getting paid for leading my club into oblivion. When is he going to pay back all the money he's stolen from the GFC while he's pretended to actually coach the club over the last 10 years?'

Anyway, we all need some good news in the midst of this unfolding crisis. And to again see that a footy club can be so much more than its W-L column is very refreshing.

So best wishes to everyone working with and for the Geelong Football Club. Look forward to seeing all of you back bigger and better on the other side of this.

didnt have to do this but he did.

Nothing to do with being the coach - just a good human.

Although it certainly is leading by example.

GO Catters

A pretty classy decision from Scott. Just goes to show how much he cares about the club.

In fact I'm blown away.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
One only has to listen to several of the coaches and they have shown extraordinary leadership... one gets the feeling they know its time for a bit payback to the code...and they know we are literally talking life and death for some. Scotts generosity is outstanding and hopefully an example to all who can afford to do something similar

Tells you everything about how much reasoned and objective debate has departed from this board that there will be some posters here who will see this thread title and be simply itching to type...

'About time he stopped getting paid for leading my club into oblivion. When is he going to pay back all the money he's stolen from the GFC while he's pretended to actually coach the club over the last 10 years?'

Anyway, we all need some good news in the midst of this unfolding crisis. And to again see that a footy club can be so much more than its W-L column is very refreshing.

So best wishes to everyone working with and for the Geelong Football Club. Look forward to seeing all of you back bigger and better on the other side of this.
I like how you got those little digs in! Smart

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Can't ask for more of a sacrifice than that from Chris, well done. Nobody really knows when things will return to normal, so it's going to help big time with some of the peripheral staff who are not at all on big money. Noble gesture from the head coach, and leading from the front like that is great leadership.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I like how you got those little digs in! Smart

I might say I've learned a little from the seasoned pros around here.

After all, castigating the coach at every opportunity is just about the equivalent of a full-time job for some of our posters.

For them, I'm not sure even this immense act of philanthropy and selfless club spirit from the coach will be enough to outweigh their suffocating cynicism and delight in derision.

So let's see who bobs up in this thread and just what they have to say about a manifestly class act from a man some can't stand.

If past history is any indication, the silence may well be deafening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back