Chris Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Decent coach but took over a team full of stars and has arguably underachieved since the initial success.

I reckon he's the exact sort that could potentially be poached, young and has a good reputation in coaching.
I wouldn't say he's underachieved because let's face it, Geelong have been written off from the greater BigFooty community for a while now yet remained in contention.

What I don't rate is a sustainable finals game plan which has been proven and why I'm dumbfounded that they're going to extend his contract based on home and away form.

I doubt it. Most would argue that your list is weaker than last year and I would find it hard to argue that Geelong is better than any of GWS, Bulldogs or Swans. Plus you had all your key players play out the entire season which is just pure good luck. eg Dangerfield 24 games, Duncan 24 , Guthrie 23 , Hawkins 23, Harry Taylor 24, Blicavs 24 and Selwood 24. Its a near inevitability that you won't get so lucky again.

Add in some retirements to Enright and Bartel and losing a handy player in Caddy and quite frankly there is every chance Geelong slide rather than go all the way. I do think they still have some young players that can improve like Menegola, Motlop and Cockatoo but really I don't think it will offset what they've lost. I also think the 3rd man up rule change will hurt them as well given they relied on it far more than any other team.
The two losses to Sydney last year didn't look good, however that was a simple case of a team having two bad nights against the same team. If 22 players had turned up, we would've won comfortably. I expect the experience of that shocking prelim performance means the players will be motivated to make sure that doesn't happen again. Can also assure you we won't be starting Henderson forward again after that. :straining:

We match up well on the Bulldogs as seen last year. And despite getting screwed over by the umpires twice against the Giants, we managed to go 1-1 against them.

That's not entirely convincing, but I expect we will see the greatest improvement out of the Cats, Giants, Dogs and Swans come from Geelong. Yes, we were somewhat lucky with injuries last year (Cockatoo, Gregson, Thurlow, S. Selwood might beg to differ) but we have the depth to cover a reasonable amount of injuries should they occur this year.

Enright and Bartel aren't big losses at all. Tuohy might not be considered as "good" as Enright was, but he is more what we need off HB. Enright let us down a few times last year with slowness, poor kicking, etc. Bartel and Caddy were handy, but our midfield is still strong with Menegola likely playing a full season this year and Motlop improving (contract year ;)). Not to mention the All-Australian Captain will actually have a pre-season this year, and his brother will probably play more than 5 games. :p

I honestly don't think the 3rd-man-up change will have much of an effect - if anything it makes selection easier, now we're not obliged to pick Blicavs. All these things that will "hurt" us have been overstated greatly, as is the misconception that we expected to win a flag last year and it's now too late to win one with this list. Last year was very experimental for us in terms of working out who was best 22 and who wasn't - we have a pretty good idea now of what our best team looks like, with the added bonus of knowing there's a whole host of decent players outside it who have the potential to break in. I can't know for sure, but I would imagine that when Danger, Hendo, Smith, etc. were brought in, the plan was to win a flag in 2017. 2016 too early, 2018 probably too late. Hence the pressure is on Scotty to get us a premiership this year - if not, he goes.

The two losses to Sydney last year didn't look good, however that was a simple case of a team having two bad nights against the same team. If 22 players had turned up, we would've won comfortably. I expect the experience of that shocking prelim performance means the players will be motivated to make sure that doesn't happen again. Can also assure you we won't be starting Henderson forward again after that. :straining:

We match up well on the Bulldogs as seen last year. And despite getting screwed over by the umpires twice against the Giants, we managed to go 1-1 against them.

That's not entirely convincing, but I expect we will see the greatest improvement out of the Cats, Giants, Dogs and Swans come from Geelong. Yes, we were somewhat lucky with injuries last year (Cockatoo, Gregson, Thurlow, S. Selwood might beg to differ) but we have the depth to cover a reasonable amount of injuries should they occur this year.

Enright and Bartel aren't big losses at all. Tuohy might not be considered as "good" as Enright was, but he is more what we need off HB. Enright let us down a few times last year with slowness, poor kicking, etc. Bartel and Caddy were handy, but our midfield is still strong with Menegola likely playing a full season this year and Motlop improving (contract year ;)). Not to mention the All-Australian Captain will actually have a pre-season this year, and his brother will probably play more than 5 games. :p

I honestly don't think the 3rd-man-up change will have much of an effect - if anything it makes selection easier, now we're not obliged to pick Blicavs. All these things that will "hurt" us have been overstated greatly, as is the misconception that we expected to win a flag last year and it's now too late to win one with this list. Last year was very experimental for us in terms of working out who was best 22 and who wasn't - we have a pretty good idea now of what our best team looks like, with the added bonus of knowing there's a whole host of decent players outside it who have the potential to break in. I can't know for sure, but I would imagine that when Danger, Hendo, Smith, etc. were brought in, the plan was to win a flag in 2017. 2016 too early, 2018 probably too late. Hence the pressure is on Scotty to get us a premiership this year - if not, he goes.

Holy crap if that's not the most biased take on a team I've seen

Did someone seriously just say Enright isn't a big loss? Yeah, arguably the best half back flanker since the 80's who was AA last year should be easy to cover.

Did someone seriously just say Enright isn't a big loss? Yeah, arguably the best half back flanker since the 80's who was AA last year should be easy to cover.
I believe you should be using past tense in the bolded, we have already covered him with someone who better meets our needs.

Why the need for a contract extension. Post 2011 has won 2 finals and had 2 straight set exits. Unless they make a GF this year he has to go.
Ewwww Collinwood supporters throwing stones at other teams coaches.

Eddie would perform the screaming eagle to get either of the Scott's in to replace FIGJAM Buckley.
I

Finished top 4 at the end of the H/A season 4 out of 6 years, has the highest winning percentage in the league and has a premiership. This is with a team who have beeen predicted to fall since 2010 and have only done so once before quickly bounding back up to 2nd.

Finals record isn't great but there is a few coaches out there with worse and a few more that don't have a record at all.

It staggers me that people think he should be sacked when their own clubs coach would love to be half as successful as Scott has been.

I believe you should be using past tense in the bolded, we have already covered him with someone who better meets our needs.
There is not one aspect of footy that Tuohy is better than Enright at. Expect kicking is 60 metres to no one.

Ewwww Collinwood supporters throwing stones at other teams coaches.

Eddie would perform the screaming eagle to get either of the Scott's in to replace FIGJAM Buckley.
I
Weren't you crying about trolling in the North fights thread yet can't help yourself and stick on topic in this one.

And Buckley has ??
HgzQM2X.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*Realistic. The fact is, we know our team better than you do. (Also, pessimism is all the rage these days so "bias" by football supporters generally equals "my team sucks.")

It's not realistic in the slightest
You have the worst youngsters of the clubs you mentioned yet think you will improve the most
You lost 2 club legends yet think and average half back flank will be better than 1 of them
Lost an inside midfielder which your in desperate need of to help danger and selwood
Then funniest of all you think you deserved to win a prelim against a team that Is better than you in every way

Your delusional

The funny bit is you have to rely on the Roos Scottijj to win this bet.

Yours is Goneski.

Lel. Ours is getting renewed imminently and look through his history. Cook isn't the sacking type. Chris Scott will be coaching in 2018. Bookmark it.

Last edited:
Will never ever understand the Chris Scott dislike. By all rights Geelkng should have plummeted down the ladder and be struggling. I truly thought after 2012 there were going to be some very hard tough years. I was waiting for a Gary Ayres period. But he has done great at keeping the team competitive despite massive player change.

The criticism against him is ridiculous. if you look at the 2010 Geelong side and the one now it's staggering how different it is yet Geelong keep trucking along doing their thing. And yet for some reason Geelong have under performed? Eh?

He isn't the greatest coach but he really doesn't deserve as much criticism as he gets.

It's not realistic in the slightest
You have the worst youngsters of the clubs you mentioned yet think you will improve the most
You lost 2 club legends yet think and average half back flank will be better than 1 of them
Lost an inside midfielder which your in desperate need of to help danger and selwood
Then funniest of all you think you deserved to win a prelim against a team that Is better than you in every way

Your delusional
Wipe the froth off your chin there sport.

The Cats are looking well positioned to take a run at the flag... yet again. End of story.

Wipe the froth off your chin there sport.

The Cats are looking well positioned to take a run at the flag... yet again. End of story.
It's incredible how we hear this sort of stuff every year and every year they are wrong. They want to see us slide, deep down they know they're just talking s**t and are scared of us.

Why the need for a contract extension. Post 2011 has won 2 finals and had 2 straight set exits. Unless they make a GF this year he has to go.
How many finals wins for Buckley? Let alone Grand Final wins?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back